the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The vigor he put behind that gavel smash wasn't for nothing. 

I'M A MAN! *SMASH!*

csb when I was a little kid, maybe 7 years old, just learning how to play baseball, next door there was a kid my age and his older brother, I guess 16-17, who played on the local hs baseball team. He had big boy gear, metal spikes!, 2 gloves, and his own bat, which in those days was unusual. Watching the twerp McHenry swing the gavel reminded me of 7 year old me trying to swing that bat, took all my strength just to lift it, much less swing it. About the only thing I could do was swing it like a sledgehammer...or I guess like a gavel.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok so lawler was just on cnn bemoaning the non-cooperation by the dems.  blah blah.  but just for shits and giggs, let's game this out.

for the dems to "cooperate", they would need to find a moderate republican (?) and basically say "find four friends and let's do this, here's what we want..."  the dems aren't ever going to "cooperate" by just saying fuck it and voting for mccarthy, jordan, or scalise, we already know this and i applaud their consistency on it.

if the above scenario played out, and they found that candidate, and made him speaker, would the republicans all just be cool with it?  i don't feel like they would be, especially since deals would be in place with those 217 people and they would be cut out of the process that they currently have a literal majority over.

although it would be hilarious to just see those votes pass with 217 every time while the gop squirmed in their seats and shouted to fox news and started fundraising off of it and trashed the 5 republicans...which is all probably what they want anyway.  and if they want something, by definition, we should not give it to them.

so i guess what i'm asking is, when the pubs ask for (or complain about) cooperation from the dems, what does that look like in their world?  history has shown us these people cannot be trusted, so once again, i'm cool sticking with the plan.  no reasonable person thinks the dems are at fault here, so yeah.  fuck all that.

Screwed Goodbye GIF - Screwed Goodbye Bye - Discover & Share GIFs

Some in the GOP definitely want some Dems to vote for whomever the GOP nominates. McCarthy, Scalise or Jordan.  That attitude is why can't the Dems save the Republicans from themselves?

If a handful in the GOP voted with the Dems to either give the Speaker to Jefferies or even a GOP "moderate", the GOP would explode in that room. It wouldn't shock me if McHenry found a method to stop that vote from completing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some in the GOP definitely want some Dems to vote for whomever the GOP nominates. McCarthy, Scalise or Jordan.  That attitude is why can't the Dems save the Republicans from themselves?

The thing is, they want the Dems to do that WITH NO INCENTIVES 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I had to change my phone number from that shit. My grandmom is like 1000 years old and put me on one of those lists. Literally 10+ texts a day with some version of:

NANCY PELOSI WILL EAT YOUR BABIES!

DONATE HERE

How does one put someone on these lists?  Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Why are Gaetz, MTG, and Granny so quiet? Up until very recently, the most dangerous place in Washington was the space between them and a TV camera or microphone. Where are they?

A good question, actually 

Five Republican from Biden districts could immediately enlarge their sphere of influence by switching parties right now. The downside of doing so in unclear at this point, unless of course you consider MAGA death threats against them and their families.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Why are Gaetz, MTG, and Granny so quiet? Up until very recently, the most dangerous place in Washington was the space between them and a TV camera or microphone. Where are they?

spitballing here, but i would think gaetz had a plan to oust km, replace him with someone new, and ride off into the sunset like the conquering hero, giving all the interviews his filthy mouth would allow.  things did not go well, and now we're here, which might explain his silence.  the other two, no idea.  actually i'm not even sure who granny is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

ok so lawler was just on cnn bemoaning the non-cooperation by the dems.  blah blah.  but just for shits and giggs, let's game this out.

for the dems to "cooperate", they would need to find a moderate republican (?) and basically say "find four friends and let's do this, here's what we want..."  the dems aren't ever going to "cooperate" by just saying fuck it and voting for mccarthy, jordan, or scalise, we already know this and i applaud their consistency on it.

if the above scenario played out, and they found that candidate, and made him speaker, would the republicans all just be cool with it?  i don't feel like they would be, especially since deals would be in place with those 217 people and they would be cut out of the process that they currently have a literal majority over.

although it would be hilarious to just see those votes pass with 217 every time while the gop squirmed in their seats and shouted to fox news and started fundraising off of it and trashed the 5 republicans...which is all probably what they want anyway.  and if they want something, by definition, we should not give it to them.

so i guess what i'm asking is, when the pubs ask for (or complain about) cooperation from the dems, what does that look like in their world?  history has shown us these people cannot be trusted, so once again, i'm cool sticking with the plan.  no reasonable person thinks the dems are at fault here, so yeah.  fuck all that.

Screwed Goodbye GIF - Screwed Goodbye Bye - Discover & Share GIFs

I don't usually wade in here, but today's hijinks it just too much.

First just want to say this, all of this. If republicans want cooperation, they better start by putting forth a reasonable candidate. Second, they better start making deals to get cooperation from Democrats - like guaranteeing dropping a farce of a impeachment inquiry, for starters. Otherwise there is no reason for them to agree to anything. 

And despite saying it over and over, republicans can't get the story to stick that this is somehow the Dems fault. This was setup by and then triggered by Gaetz and a few others. People that most reasonable people understand have no clue how government works, a listen to this interview of congressman Tim Burchett of Tennessee is evident of that.

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

At this point I think Hakeem Jefferies has received more votes for Speaker of the House than any person in US History

Washington Post has said he has.

30 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Probably because right now Gaetz and the gang are persona non grata. I think they thought this would be over in a day or two. 3 weeks later the mess they created is out for everyone to see.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Five Republican from Biden districts could immediately enlarge their sphere of influence by switching parties right now. The downside of doing so in unclear at this point, unless of course you consider MAGA death threats against them and their families.

the issue for them would be their voting history and they would be easy targets for being primaried from the left. in order to do a switch they would need guarantees that wouldn't happen (at least for 2024). 

the most logical scenario would be for them to simply become independent. In order for that to work each would need to have a brand strong enough in their district(s) along with the financial infrastructure to hold onto the job without the benefit of a major political party's backing. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And despite saying it over and over, republicans can't get the story to stick that this is somehow the Dems fault.

I mean it is technically true that McCarthy was ousted because the entire Democratic caucus went along with the vote to vacate. 

The problem is that the Republicans' dysfunction and infighting being played out in public is now dominating the news cycle, so any attempts to pin this on the Democrats is going to fall flat. Even right wing media isn't buying that narrative. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

And despite saying it over and over, republicans can't get the story to stick that this is somehow the Dems fault. This was setup by and then triggered by Gaetz and a few others.

gaetz was one of the few giving interviews saying it wasn't the dems fault.  of course he was in the process of burying mccarthy, so it helped his narrative to say so.

31 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

spitballing here, but i would think gaetz had a plan to oust km, replace him with someone new, and ride off into the sunset like the conquering hero, giving all the interviews his filthy mouth would allow.  things did not go well, and now we're here, which might explain his silence.  the other two, no idea.  actually i'm not even sure who granny is.

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

New Boobert

I mean I just assumed granny was Gymbo Jordan. 

• Hook 'Em 1