the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The longer this goes on, the more stupid Americans will convince themselves that the Democrats did in fact do this. 

I was reading the first time to elect McCarthy took 15(!) votes. What are we at? Under 5, right now?

The Dems don't have anything to do with the Republicans being unable to agree on a Speaker.  The more fighting amongst Republicans that happens, the more that point gets driven home.  How are they ever going to own the Libs when they can't even reconvene the House?

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You laugh, but I'm serious. Im going to see some folks this weekend who lean conservative while claiming to be centrist capitalists. Which is irritating becuase I view myself as a centrist and they're miles right of me. Anyway, I'm guessing I'll hear something like this. 

1 minute ago, BeardIP said:

I was reading the first time to elect McCarthy took 15(!) votes. What are we at? Under 5, right now?

Yeah. What's your point? McCarthy's first set of voting didn't have any way they could point to democrats. Now they've constructed something. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You laugh, but I'm serious. Im going to see some folks this weekend who lean conservative while claiming to be centrist capitalists. Which is irritating becuase I view myself as a centrist and they're miles right of me. Anyway, I'm guessing I'll hear something like this. 

Yeah. What's your point? McCarthy's first set of voting didn't have any way they could point to democrats. Now they've constructed something. 

My point was reinforcing yours, this thing is going to go on (much) longer if recent history is any indication.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

My answer to this kind of thing thus far has been "grow the fuck up. You voted for this and if you don't like it, that's on you."

• Hook 'Em 9

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My answer to this kind of thing thus far has been "grow the fuck up. You voted for this and if you don't like it, that's on you."

I have a “centrist capitalist” friend who voted for Hillary and Biden that is now parroting the “Dems should have saved McCarthy” line. It’s infuriating. 

11 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

All of this is obviously the Democrats fault!

Now I will go back to the Israel thread to bitch about those fucking Nicaraguans that have caused that Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  Good day sirs!

I don't know who that guy is but I think he's being serious that Gaetz and friends gave the Dems the opportunity to kick out the speaker, which they obviously did.

(checks notes), So Trump masterminded this Jordan thing, knowing Jim would fail to coalesce the party as only the Donald can do.  Kicks Scalise and McKenry to the curb in the process.  Trump swoops in as speaker of the House.  Posts Biden and Harris' addresses to MAGA nation and awaits his ascension back to the Oval.  From there he pardons himself for everything and doesn't bother running again in 2024.  Still grifts campaign money obviously between now and January 2025.  

So who runs for both parties in that very likely scenario?  

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have a “centrist capitalist” friend who voted for Hillary and Biden that is now parroting the “Dems should have saved McCarthy” line. It’s infuriating. 

Yeah. I'm pretty sure one of these went Trump - Biden - and will almost certainly flip back to Trump. Honestly the most infuriating part is when they claim to not be aligned with either party. Because I've heard dozen of shitty comments about Biden and Dems and zero criticisms of Trump. 

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

(checks notes), So Trump masterminded this Jordan thing, knowing Jim would fail to coalesce the party as only the Donald can do.  Kicks Scalise and McKenry to the curb in the process.  Trump swoops in as speaker of the House.  Posts Biden and Harris' addresses to MAGA nation and awaits his ascension back to the Oval.  From there he pardons himself for everything and doesn't bother running again in 2024.  Still grifts campaign money obviously between now and January 2025.  

So who runs for both parties in that very likely scenario?  

Me. I run from both parties and straight to any country into which I can buy citizenship for my family. 

Oh, you said FOR. my bad. 

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What happens when you ask them how many in the GOP would've voted for Pelosi if things were reversed?

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That logic doesn't work if they think or are blaming the democrats for this...

It's not supposed to be convincing. It's supposed to be an aggressive challenge. Social pressure is really important.  It's important these people be challenged and held to account by their peers. Or separated from their peers if need be. 
I have a few rules: 
1) Use an even tone - in social situations the first person to yell or pitch up is usually perceived as the loser.
2) Use open body language and maintain eye contact - this conveys strength.
3) Say these things in front of others - this conveys status.
4) If you mock somebody, look them in the eye and smile when you do it. - this conveys dominance

The point is not be persuasive. The point is an object lesson that recruits followers or at least shakes confidence.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 8

There are 2 ways out of this and both involve removing Trump's sway over the party.  One way is the Republican party goes the way of the Whigs and a new conservative party emerges that has no obligations to Donald Trump.  The faction of America that can't deal with that will either stop voting or form a fringe party that gets no say.  The other is that Trump dies before the first way happens.

Edited by kevwun

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

Print this out and ask your friends to look at every election for Speaker since the 1700's and ask them to point out where an opposition party swung an election for the other party to hold the Speaker position 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's not supposed to be convincing. It's supposed to be an aggressive challenge. Social pressure is really important.  It's important these people be challenged and held to account by their peers. Or separated from their peers if need be. 
I have a few rules: 
1) Use an even tone - in social situations the first person to yell is the loser.
2) Use open body language - this conveys strength.
3) Say these things in front of others - this conveys status.
4) If you mock somebody, look them in the eye and smile when you do it. - this conveys dominance

The point is not be persuasive. The point is an object lesson that recruits followers.

Actually, that's usually similar to my play book. I challenge people all the time. The dynamics with this one are a bit different, as another poster said, I think logic of any kind doesn't work. 

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

this is a different situation because this person probbaly hasn't been red pilled. A better response here is that coalition government is possible, but in all historic examples of this (such as Texas), the opposition party gets concessions. 

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

There are 2 ways out of this and both involve removing Trump's sway over the party.  One way is the Republican party goes the way of the Whigs and a new conservative party emerges that has no obligations to Donald Trump.  The faction of America that can't deal with that will either stop voting or form a fringe party that gets no say.  The other is that Trump dies before the first way happens.

if only

I think that Matt Gaetz place in history might just be the vote that finalized the split of the republican party. 

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Well, just finished The Storm Before the Storm, and the only question I have is that once immamac gives up all the real names of the posters on this board, how will I be murdered and who will take all my shit.

717BFShKlFL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm gonna go with "murder was unnecessary, he choked on a Hot Pocket while playing video games" and "nobody cared about his super awesome action figure collection."  What do I win?

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That will be absolutely great for us...after he's dead. 

The gift that keeps on giving. The portion of his base that thinks JFK (and Jr.) is still alive is not going to be dissuaded by a funeral and obituary. Its just that their savior had to go into hiding from the deep state and will one day return to reclaim American greatness. I could see this movement outliving my grandchildren (who are not born yet)

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Trump swoops in as speaker of the House.  Posts Biden and Harris' addresses to MAGA nation

Well uh, 1600 Pennsylvania is kind of obvious.

i know you meant in Delaware, was just kind of an obvious 

Edited by Js1

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Trump has to be pissed, because his public choice couldn't get over the finish line, and also Jordan isn't able to weaponize his committee(s) to try and run interference for Trump's legal issues.

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

"My fellow Americans.  The modern day GOP party in general, and the current GOP house representative specifically, are simply not serious people and have no interest in addressing the many problems facing our nation.   Instead of blaming "Washington" and "the swamp" for the myriad of  your problems, maybe you should elect representatives who take this job seriously.  Fuck you and good night."  

spacer.png

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

At some point they need to realize they aren't going to win and back someone who can do the job. There is no strategy here that makes any sense, but I know the answer is they don't care.

That would require some actual planning and strategizing to be performed that analyzes their options if they don't win.

They literally only know one response to not winning, and that's screaming and yelling.