2023 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Just hook it to my veins!

BurntOrange&White

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Worthy's best position would be in the slot. In that highlight package against OSU, we saw Smith run routes that both Whittington and Robinson run. There was only 2 deep shots, and one was against a LB. I think Ewers got impatient and because of injuries, Worthy had to play outside. If Mitchell and Neyor can stay healthy, the best grouping would be Neyor and Mitchell outside with Worthy in the slot. There isn't a defense in the country that could stop those 3, especially when you add in Sanders at TE.

Problem with slot is the run game. You would prefer JWhitt there in the run game. I am all for moving X around, but you can not only put him in the slot on passing plays or run plays to the opposite side of the field. Passing situations I am all for Neyor and AD on the outside with X and Sanders inside. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Problem with slot is the run game. You would prefer JWhitt there in the run game. I am all for moving X around, but you can not only put him in the slot on passing plays or run plays to the opposite side of the field. Passing situations I am all for Neyor and AD on the outside with X and Sanders inside. 

Using him on motions similar to how Smith was used against Clemson and Ohio State in the playoffs would be most ideal. 

20 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sark did well to not bench Ewers last year. The passing game was atrocious last year. Ewers probably threw the most uncatchable balls in the country. We see another Oklahoma St Nuke Laloosh performance, I can envision either capable backup relieving him.

With that being said, its only his 2nd year and the ceiling is high. Maybe he’ll be comparable to Colt McCoy someday.

I suspect if Quinn had Colt’s Fr year OL, he’d have looked a lot better last year too. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

19 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I didnt make up the catchable balls stats, but cant find link because I heard it on the radio. That stat was in reference to outside catch radius (so overthrows and underthrows). We were not Top 100 in overall catchable balls, including Card. Or maybe we were in the 90’s.

The offense relied on Bijan and the threat of Bijan and some nifty scheming. Bijan being our best back since Ricky in my opinion, even above Benson (who worked among a more talented offense). So it was a decent offense. But the passing game underperformed and could not be relied upon.

In context of my opinion that Ewers does not deserve to be compared to Colt since he’s not in the same ballpark as one of the greatest QBs in CFB history, I think its premature to compare the two and believe its not unthinkable that Ewers could be a bust and get benched. Is it likely? I hope not. But he hasnt done more than show flashes.

I agree that Bijan and Roschon covered up a lot of our issues, but the 2006 OL did the same for Colt.

1) this year isn't last year.
2) he doesn't have Hudson Card on the bench this year, and even last year when he did...he didn't bench Ewers.
3) the rest of the QBs on the roster combined have taken zero snaps in a college game
4) Quinn Ewers is absolutely the best QB on the team and it isn't close. you may not think so but everyone else around the country and the guys who see them every day are completely and totally sure of it. going to go with literally everyone else on this vs you.
also, based on every advanced statistic out there, the offense was fine last year. top 20 in the country. the passing game was ok. it's almost like a guy who hasn't taken a real snap in college goes through some growing pains.
"most uncatchable balls in the country" - 79 players in the country attempted more passes. there are a handful of guys after looking at the stats for two seconds who attempted 100+ more passes than Quinn Ewers and had a lower completion %. Hell, the guy at UTEP went 164/315 and has a completion rate like 7 percentage points lower than Ewers.  Connor Bazelak who is the QB for Indiana evidently, attempted 130 more passes last year than Ewers and completed them at a lower rate. come on. don't make shit up.

Lance Armstrong has the most uncatchable ball.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I agree that Bijan and Roschon covered up a lot of our issues, but the 2006 OL did the same for Colt.

Last years passing game was really ugly at times. Routes were off at times. Ewers would throw outside and WR would look inside. They just did not always look to be in sync. Colt, Ship, and Quan were always on the same page. That was the biggest difference (there were obvious other ones). Colt could run around under pressure and he knew Ship and Quan would break off routes and where they would be. They just had such high IQs and worked so well together.  This years group is way more talented, but I doubt they will have that same kind of chemistry. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

On 7/9/2023 at 10:48 AM, closetojumping said:

The UT WR room is made of glass. Mitchell, Neyor, and Whittington have all missed all or most of at least one season, and several of those guys have missed most of 2. 

If they can stay healthy this season, they’ll be the 1st or 2nd best WR group in the country (Ohio State?) and through the sheer depth of talent be a far better group than those in 2008 or 2009. Now, sure, I’d trade a healthy Shipley and Quan for two guys from today, but Texas has 4 guys, not even counting freshmen, who can play at the Shipley/Cosby level or close enough to it. 

Dammit CTJ, posts like this piss me the fuck off and make me borderline psychotic......not saying they're wrong, inaccurate or untrue, but damn reality sucks.

Here's to a bulletproof 2023.  (Please little 8lb. 6oz baby Jesus.)

Edited by SHOOTER12

15 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Worthy's best position would be in the slot. In that highlight package against OSU, we saw Smith run routes that both Whittington and Robinson run. There was only 2 deep shots, and one was against a LB. I think Ewers got impatient and because of injuries, Worthy had to play outside. If Mitchell and Neyor can stay healthy, the best grouping would be Neyor and Mitchell outside with Worthy in the slot. There isn't a defense in the country that could stop those 3, especially when you add in Sanders at TE.

Always thought worthy was a natural slot.

I suspect if Quinn had Colt’s Fr year OL, he’d have looked a lot better last year too.  

This all started with talent comps from this upcoming offense to 2008/09, not Colt’s freshman year. I’m excited to see improvement in our passing game, but its way too soon to crown our receivers (an average unit in 2022 and sometimes a weakness) or Ewers. Neither would I write them off.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

This all started with talent comps from this upcoming offense to 2008/09, not Colt’s freshman year. I’m excited to see improvement in our passing game, but its way too soon to crown our receivers (an average unit in 2022 and sometimes a weakness) or Ewers. Neither would I write them off.

We should probably freeze this thread until the end of the season and then all agree to come back and discuss in a reasonable manner when we have all the information. What is everyone doing on December 20th? Maybe around 3pm central?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

The defense was pretty good as a whole last year. I think it would be a job well done to more or less replicate last year's defensive performance given what was lost. Expecting significant improvement is expecting a nationally elite unit, or at least flirting with that. Not sure I buy that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I haven't watched today's OB Modcast yet, but yesterday's livestream was discussing how Sark at UT (along with Lincoln Riley at USC) have rebuilt & restocked their rosters to the point that each are now in the top 6 of CFB when it comes to amount of super blue chip players (5-star & high 4-star players) on their rosters. They also talked about the fact that despite UGA & Bama being the top 2 on the list, they've fallen off from where they were in 2021 and there's more parody now. Aggy is #3 on the list.

EDIT:

Here's the chart:

vlcsnap-2023-07-11-12h37m03s106.thumb.png.482b75e5bef85accdd1b628bbd1c9ac9.png

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I haven't watched today's OB Modcast yet, but yesterday's livestream was discussing how Sark at UT (along with Lincoln Riley at USC) have rebuilt & restocked their rosters to the point that each are now in the top 6 of CFB when it comes to amount of super blue chip players (5-star & high 4-star players) on their rosters. They also talked about the fact that despite UGA & Bama being the top 2 on the list, they've fallen off from where they were in 2021 and there's more parody now. Aggy is #3 on the list.

I hate things like this. It pretends Junior 5 star QB Vince Young is the same as Freshmen 5 star LB Anthony Hill..

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Here's a similar 247 chart...

IMG_20230709_093631_kindlephoto-1050618.jpg

EDIT:

Here's the chart:

aggy is a parody of a CFB program, thats the only one I see. It is uphauling how many blue chips they've managed to lure to Pripyat..err...college station, but they will aggy it up and send their program to bolovia as usual.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:

[url=https://media.surlyhorns.com/monthly_2023_07/vlcsnap-2023-07-11-12h37m03s106.png.be44dd06a580f8a85d4ccd060cbcd67f.png

aggy is a parody of a CFB program, thats the only one I see. It is uphauling how many blue chips they've managed to lure to Pripyat..err...college station, but they will aggy it up and send their program to bolovia as usual.

The problem with the aggie roster is that it has lots of holes like on the offensive line and linebacker. If some of those DL blue chips were at other positions, they would have a much better team.

The problem with the aggie roster is that it has lots of holes like on the offensive line and linebacker. If some of those DL blue chips were at other positions, they would have a much better team.
I see my joke was wasted, (parity and parody are two different things) but agreed on aggy
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

EDIT:

Here's the chart:

vlcsnap-2023-07-11-12h37m03s106.thumb.png.482b75e5bef85accdd1b628bbd1c9ac9.png

That 2010 team must have been badass.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

53 minutes ago, ousux said:

I see my joke was wasted, (parity and parody are two different things) but agreed on aggy

I saw it, didn't realize it was a joke, but because it is Carnival Day in the Grenadines, I was feeling the festivus spirit and let it slide.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

We should probably freeze this thread until the end of the season and then all agree to come back and discuss in a reasonable manner when we have all the information. What is everyone doing on December 20th? Maybe around 3pm central?

Pregaming for the first round of CFP in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s a healthy SEC IDL rotation look like? I count 5 that can contribute next season. Murphy, Broughton, Trill, Mitchell, and maybe Bryant. Murphy might need a nice NIL package to return, and Broughton might consider the portal. 

I don’t think the Texas coaches are exaggerating when they tell McKinley he can play right away. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s a healthy SEC IDL rotation look like? I count 5 that can contribute next season. Murphy, Broughton, Trill, Mitchell, and maybe Bryant. Murphy might need a nice NIL package to return, and Broughton might consider the portal. 

I don’t think the Texas coaches are exaggerating when they tell McKinley he can play right away. 

You think Collins will leave?

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Inbed.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Potential loses

Murphy and Collins

Gone: Sweat

If they all leave it is probably Trill, Bryant, and Mitchell, Bledsoe if he puts on some weight. Broughton would  need to make a magical transition, to be relied on. It gets real sketchy in 2025, if Murphy, Collins, and Sweat leave. 

• Hook 'Em 1