6 yr old bitten by unknown dog

gsoda3

My 6 yr old was nipped at by an unknown dog in costco.  I didn't see it happen, I was making a return at the counter and he was running to me from the food court and the dog he ran by nipped at him.  All of a sudden he was standing there crying.  There's a pea-sized area where the tooth broke skin and blood spots.  Costco employees went to VAR and saw the dog lunge at my boy.  The dog and the owner had left by then so we asked Costco to track them down and provide proof of a rabies vax.  We're hoping they get back to us soon.  I'm waiting for our pediatric triage nurse to call us back and we'll see what she says.  Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions on what questions to ask?

All joking aside, I would pressure Costco for help in finding the owner, but I would be very surprised if they actually did.  Realistically, you are left with the decision of whether or not the very slim chance the dog was infected and actually passed the infection on is enough to make your child suffer through the prevention.

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Sue Costco for allowing dogs in their stores. The goddamn weak minded dog fuckers are everywhere and need to be put down.

Travelled from NY back to TX via ATL this last week and a woman had a clear backpack with a fucking cat in it. What the fuck is with people today?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

A whole lot of municipalities have "dangerous dog" ordinances that can lead to removal of a dog from a city, or even euthanasia.

They usually include a "one chance" safe harbor and require a serious injury to a human or other dog before the severe penalties come into play.

So, for better or worse, you can often really screw with a dog owner and dog, if you're so inclined.

16 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea a dog in Costco has a very very slim chance of having rabies unless it was a stray that ran in from outside and even then it’s a very slim chance.  

Now if it was at Sam's, we'd probably have to dip into the wreath fun.

I hope your son is OK and that they figure out how you can contact that dumbass.

12 hours ago, mdmost said:

So tired of fuckers bringing their dogs to places like this. Unless it's a service dog, leave the fucker at home. It's not your fucking child. 

I think I am going to have my kid fake asthma/allergy attacks and start filing lawsuits.   Goddamn selfish stupid assholes should be embarrassed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

our pediatrician told us to go to the ER.  the ER doc told us the last case of a rabid dog (or was it rabid dog bite?) in travis county was 1992.  we elected to go with the rabies treatment anyway for peace of mind.  a shot in the arm and 3 shots of IgB surrounding the bite yesterday.  he didn't enjoy that experience but 30 seconds and a popsicle later he was right as rain.  tomorrow, thursday, and sat we go back in for one shot each and then we're done. 

the costco managers were as you'd expect from costco, extremely nice and accommodating, really helpful.  they're having trouble locating the member who brought the dog-  he was at the cust service desk.  they didn't give us details but i suspect he wasn't a member otherwise they'd be able to pull up his info.  the managers helped us fill out an incident and claims form someone in corporate HR is going to look over and then contact us about to see if we'll be able to file the medical bills against their insurance.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I’m a dog lover but 90% of dogs in stores have zero business in a store, or at an art fair, or running loose in a park, or bringing to my house uninvited. This bullshit crosses all demographic segments and social groups. Why are you bringing a dog to an outdoor concert where it will be subjected to 140db of noise and thousands of people? Figure out a different way to attract chicks or look cool. You’re torturing your dog.

My cousin went blind at 17 and is a student at SFA. She has a remarkable highly trained service dog. These animals would not have acted out like that. The dogs that can help manage epilepsy, soothe high anxiety, etc are trained creatures and very rare.

The bullshit is the concept of “support” animal. These are untrained dogs, squirrels, donkeys, whatever. They don’t need to be on planes. Or in stores. Church.

Retailers are too often scared of confronting someone entering with a dog. They won’t confront shoplifters and won’t confront folks claiming their dog is a support animal. (If you need a dog to go to Costco you need to stay the fuck home)

Contact the store manager and if not pleased go to the regional VP and legal. Threaten a law suit against Costco and social media blitz if they they don’t cooperate. They should have insisted you go to the ER and paid all medical and other bills. They need to track down the guest with their detectives and get the info you need, and hand over the customer info.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

the ER doc told us the last case of a rabid dog (or was it rabid dog bite?) in travis county was 1992.

Doctors can be really subtle and they avoid direct answers to direct questions. They are taught this in school.  ER doc's statement should have told you to go home and avoid putting all those chemicals into a little 6 year old body.  That's what he was trying to tell you.  He tried at least. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Doctors can be really subtle and they avoid direct answers to direct questions. They are taught this in school.  ER doc's statement should have told you to go home and avoid putting all those chemicals into a little 6 year old body.  That's what he was trying to tell you.  He tried at least. 

How dare you be so insensitive towards a virtually eradicated disease. 

23 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

our pediatrician told us to go to the ER.  the ER doc told us the last case of a rabid dog (or was it rabid dog bite?) in travis county was 1992.  we elected to go with the rabies treatment anyway for peace of mind.  a shot in the arm and 3 shots of IgB surrounding the bite yesterday.  he didn't enjoy that experience but 30 seconds and a popsicle later he was right as rain.  tomorrow, thursday, and sat we go back in for one shot each and then we're done. 

the costco managers were as you'd expect from costco, extremely nice and accommodating, really helpful.  they're having trouble locating the member who brought the dog-  he was at the cust service desk.  they didn't give us details but i suspect he wasn't a member otherwise they'd be able to pull up his info.  the managers helped us fill out an incident and claims form someone in corporate HR is going to look over and then contact us about to see if we'll be able to file the medical bills against their insurance.  

That's scary. I'm glad you got him the shot. I know the chances were really unlikely that the dog had rabies, but since the shot is only effective at preventing disease for a short period after a bite, it is better safe than sorry. 

16 hours ago, Rudiger said:

Assuming this happened in Texas, no.

I haven't looked it up, but is there some sort of case on that? It does seems like a potential negligence claim, particularly if this dog was acting up while in the store before the bite. Certainly it is close enough so that I'd expect Costco to be willing to pay for the cost of the shot. Hell, I'd think they'd do it anyway for customer good will.  

13 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

No. 

23 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

So I got bit BAD on the leg by a leashed dog being walked a few years ago, owner and dog literally ran away. I went to ER worried about rabies. They basically refused to give me the shots, saying how unlikely it was for a dog, especially someone’s pet, to have rabies. Found the dog a couple months later, perfectly alive. 

I did my own research. From what I could tell rabies vaccine with great insurance costs about $15,000 out of pocket. 

12 hours ago, Updawg said:

Well if it was only that amount of shots it doesn’t sound too bad

I always heard it was way worse but that was probably an urban rumor growing up as a 70’s kid. I remember it supposedly being like 30 shots or something

I think modern treatment is 4 shots over a few weeks if never previously vaccinated or a single shot if previously vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I haven't looked it up, but is there some sort of case on that? It does seems like a potential negligence claim, particularly if this dog was acting up while in the store before the bite. Certainly it is close enough so that I'd expect Costco to be willing to pay for the cost of the shot. Hell, I'd think they'd do it anyway for customer good will.  

There are tons of cases.

First, the problem would be that it's not a negligence case, it's a premises liability case. Negligence against a premises owner requires affirmative, contemporaneous conduct; premises liability is a nonfeasance theory based on the premises owner's failure to make the premises safe. See United Scaffolding, Inc. v. Levine, 537 S.W.3d 463, 471 (Tex. 2017); Del Lago Partners v. Smith, 307 S.W.3d 762, 776 (Tex. 2010). 

Under a premises liability theory, you'd have to show both that a condition of the premises posed an unreasonable risk of harm, and that Costco knew or should have known about the risk, and that Costco failed to make the condition reasonably safe. See United Supermarkets, LLC v. McIntire, 646 S.W.3d 800, 802 n.4 (Tex. 2022); Austin v. Kroger Tex., L.P., 465 S.W.3d 193, 203 (Tex. 2015).

And before you start analyzing these standards, let me assure you that the Texas Supreme Court interprets them in a decidedly pro-company way.

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I think modern treatment is 4 shots over a few weeks if never previously vaccinated or a single shot if previously vaccinated. 

the treatment we're on is a series of 4 treatments over 10 days.  the first treatment was the day we went into the ER:  one shot in the arm and 3 surrounding the bite.  days 3, 5, and 7 require one shot each. 

26 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

There are tons of cases.

First, the problem would be that it's not a negligence case, it's a premises liability case. Negligence against a premises owner requires affirmative, contemporaneous conduct; premises liability is a nonfeasance theory based on the premises owner's failure to make the premises safe. See United Scaffolding, Inc. v. Levine, 537 S.W.3d 463, 471 (Tex. 2017); Del Lago Partners v. Smith, 307 S.W.3d 762, 776 (Tex. 2010). 

Under a premises liability theory, you'd have to show both that a condition of the premises posed an unreasonable risk of harm, and that Costco knew or should have known about the risk, and that Costco failed to make the condition reasonably safe. See United Supermarkets, LLC v. McIntire, 646 S.W.3d 800, 802 n.4 (Tex. 2022); Austin v. Kroger Tex., L.P., 465 S.W.3d 193, 203 (Tex. 2015).

And before you start analyzing these standards, let me assure you that the Texas Supreme Court interprets them in a decidedly pro-company way.

the first thing the manager said to us was "i'm sorry that happened, we don't allow dogs in here."

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Updawg said:

Well if it was only that amount of shots it doesn’t sound too bad

I always heard it was way worse but that was probably an urban rumor growing up as a 70’s kid. I remember it supposedly being like 30 shots or something

Back in the 70s it was way worse. Multiple shots (over 10 iirc) in the stomach, directly into abdominal lymph glands, very painful, severe flu-like side effects. Had to be hospitalized for like a week or something during the course of treatment.

Ask me how I know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

"i'm sorry that happened, we don't allow dogs in here."

Rage. 

I've said this repeatedly but the contradiction of not being served peanuts on an airplane and allowing multiple dogs and cats in a confined space is mind bottling to me.  My wife is extremely allergic to cats(thank fucking god, never had to have a cat in my married/parent life) whose airway will constrict if we spend time in a house that has cats.  Couple of weeks ago at a brewery/taphouse motherfucker brings dog in and his shaggy tail literally wagged into my food.  fuck, I hate people.

• Rage+1 2

26 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

There are tons of cases.

I'm well aware of the difficulties associated with premises liability. Assuming this is a premises case (probably is absent some other unknown factor), if the dog was being aggressive in the store prior to that point, or if the store had problems with prior dog bites, then I'd think you could win a premises case. It may not be worth pursuing depending on how much the hospital charges for the treatment, but I don't think it is an automatic throwaway.   

21 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the treatment we're on is a series of 4 treatments over 10 days.  the first treatment was the day we went into the ER:  one shot in the arm and 3 surrounding the bite.  days 3, 5, and 7 require one shot each. 

the first thing the manager said to us was "i'm sorry that happened, we don't allow dogs in here."

That last point plays well in your favor I think. There is a reason they don't allow dogs (except I assume proper service animals). Those shots in the ER can be expensive, so it may be worthwhile to consider your options. If your health insurance is good and doesn't leave you a lot out of pocket, you can also just leave it up to them to pursue a potential subrogation claim. 

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Rage. 

I've said this repeatedly but the contradiction of not being served peanuts on an airplane and allowing multiple dogs and cats in a confined space is mind bottling to me.  My wife is extremely allergic to cats(thank fucking god, never had to have a cat in my married/parent life) whose airway will constrict if we spend time in a house that has cats.  Couple of weeks ago at a brewery/taphouse motherfucker brings dog in and his shaggy tail literally wagged into my food.  fuck, I hate people.

I'm thinking about getting an emotional support alligator, maybe it will eat some of the emotional support dogs and cats.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

got the schedule wrong, it's a 4 series treatment over 14 days, not 10.  on days 3, 7, and 14 they're single shots.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Rage. 

AA allowed this stupid cunt to bring a 50+ pound "support" dog onboard a few years back. This pic was right after landing, during which this extremely terrified dog was running up and down the aisle.

stupid cunt dog AA.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

AA allowed this stupid cunt to bring a 50+ pound "support" dog onboard a few years back. This pic was right after landing, during which this extremely terrified dog was running up and down the aisl

Sheeeeittttt. 

American happily sells tickets to this lady with a dog that is so fucking massively fat and pampered that it moves around via barge. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3292786/Fat-dog-wheeled-American-Airlines-flight-bed-got-travel-class.html

2DDAB39200000578-3292786-image-m-63_1445994987578.jpg

I've been on a flight with this pair, and the amount of fawning that all of the staff (air and ground) do over Hank is nauseating. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Sheeeeittttt. 

American happily sells tickets to this lady with a dog that is so fucking massively fat and pampered that it moves around via barge. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3292786/Fat-dog-wheeled-American-Airlines-flight-bed-got-travel-class.html

2DDAB39200000578-3292786-image-m-63_1445994987578.jpg

I've been on a flight with this pair, and the amount of fawning that all of the staff (air and ground) do over Hank is nauseating. 

good god, we could live off that dog's fat for years.

• Drool 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:48 AM, Dahobbs said:

That's scary. I'm glad you got him the shot. I know the chances were really unlikely that the dog had rabies, but since the shot is only effective at preventing disease for a short period after a bite, it is better safe than sorry. 

With Costco, you get a year's supply of shots, whether you need that many or not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1