Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty

Cairn Horn88

What I’m getting out of this is that I need to start grifting the shit outta the Boomers now, to get while the gettin’s good. Kinda like my need to grift the old MAGATs. There’s a shitload of overlap there.
MS-13 insurance, my idea for a “Trump legal assistance fund for patriots” (they subscribe, and we send weekly email newsletters to them, copied to Trump’s legal team, offering biting legal analysis and strategies to help Our President defeat the Deep State (things like “advice: PUT THE SYSTEM ON TRIAL!”)! Only $9.95 a week, with recurrent billing of your CC that is next to impossible to unsubscribe from), and a dozen more of em.
I need to separate them from as much of their money as I can before they die and give it to their kids. Sorry, Millennials, I’m gonna bleed em dry before they can pass anything on to you. But smile, you’ll inherit a great collection of newsletters!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What I’m getting out of this is that I need to start grifting the shit outta the Boomers now, to get while the gettin’s good. Kinda like my need to grift the old MAGATs. There’s a shitload of overlap there.
MS-13 insurance, my idea for a “Trump legal assistance fund for patriots” (they subscribe, and we send weekly email newsletters to them, copied to Trump’s legal team, offering biting legal analysis and strategies to help Our President defeat the Deep State (things like “advice: PUT THE SYSTEM ON TRIAL!”)! Only $9.95 a week, with recurrent billing of your CC that is next to impossible to unsubscribe from), and a dozen more of em.
I need to separate them from as much of their money as I can before they die and give it to their kids. Sorry, Millennials, I’m gonna bleed em dry before they can pass anything on to you. But smile, you’ll inherit a great collection of newsletters!

Dude, you already got a grift. Bet you billed some Boomer while you were typing out this witticism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fun fact.  Until 1981, there was no 11th Circuit, it was part of the 5th.

Indeed.  The judge I clerked for on the 11th sat on the 5th before the split.  In fact, pre-split 5th circuit authority is binding on the 11th.

The 5th Circuit has only been a steaming heap of shit for about 15 years, about the time Edith Jones became Chief Judge in 2006.

And, for a while there, they were probably running neck and neck for most absurdly conservative court of appeals.  

All true.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think they may get even more desperate, but that desperation will hurt them in the end.  Kirk and Shapiro are about as far from being cool to the younger generation as you can get.

And the younger generation is growing up on the internet, for better or for worse, so they are seeing all the memes, and making fun of people like Kirk and Shapiro who are crying about whatever upsets them whether it's the gays or minorities or whatever, etc. and even in Bumfuck East Texas, there are kids growing up whose parents maybe shitty, but they are exposed to so many other types of people  and views through the internet, TV, etc.

These things take time, and yes, there's some shitty people in the younger generation, but look at things like race - we've now got a few generations who grew up idolizing African-American athletes such as Michael Jordan or various minority entertainers who were all over the TV.  Sure, there were AA athletes and entertainers in the 60s and 70s (and even before then), but not in the way that we saw in the 80s into the 90s.

And we now have a generation or two who is used to openly LBGTQ folks who are all over social media, TV, etc. and while the olds may not be happy with it, it's not a big deal to the younger folks.

There's a reason why the "okay boomer" thing took off.

Agree on all points. I want to add one wrinkle that many people tend to overlook, which is that there's an important difference between, on the one hand, subjectively and sincerely having love and affection for a member of a vulnerable class (like Blacks) and, on the other hand, internalizing the belief and making an objective reality at all levels of government and society the fact that those classes of people are truly equal and equally deserving of rights, justice, and opportunity.

Right now I think we're in a place where the average white guy has a lot of real black friends and gay coworkers who they truly care about, but at the same time, that same average white guy thinks it is "normal" for blacks to receive disparate treatment from cops, HOAs, and private businesses. They might furrow their brows, wish things were different, or even pray that nothing like that ever happens to the friends they have who happen to be in those vulnerable classes.

But deep down they think these hierarchies are tolerable, perhaps even the natural way things have to be, and their politics (and the world we have) reflects that. They tell themselves "I'm not racist" because they don't have "hate" for anyone else. I want to give them credit because that is progress given our history.

Gen Z has realized, thankfully, that it's totally possible to attend and enjoy many gay weddings while at the same time being okay with the possibility that those gay people's rights are up for debate and not entitled to the same safeguards that straight people's marriages have under the constitution.

Gen Z and many millennials (maybe even most millennials) want to change that. They want to make it unacceptable socially and eventually politically to support or tolerate those hierarchies of inequality. Conservatives want to turn the clock back on all fronts (and in the abortion realm they have succeeded).

All the stuff the "anti woke" warriors are against, by the way, is a fraction of what we need in place to raise awareness of the fact that merely being willing to have gay friends is insufficient. Taking DEI seriously is barely scratching the surface of acknowledging the problem. But I have a lot of hope for Gen Z.

Bring on all the no-talent ass-clowns you want, GOP. Gen Z is standing back and standing by to ruthlessly mock them all.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ.

Shit man, I thought you of all people around here would have known the term. Been around since the mid 90s at least.

6 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Dorthy Portnaneau is a SAINT!

Lmao

59 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Well I don't think it's the generation as a whole. It's the leadership of the generation. My parents are boomers and are not on board the Republican train at all but it seems the boomer generation leadership of the last 25 years or so has been pretty horrendous overall. A lot of that leadership was put in place and kept in place by large amounts of boomer voters but it's not 100 percent their fault. I don't put the Reagan disaster on boomers because that was the WW2 generation still running things at that point.

Overall success tends to breed greed, complacency, and contempt for others. I think the meteoric rise of America as both a financial and cultural giant on the global scale post WW2 led to a ton of hubris and greed that has slowly eroded the things that allowed America to make that leap. We are a nation in decline with a widening gulf between the top few percent of wealthy people and everyone else and we're seeing the usual propaganda and fascist tactics take hold just as it did in other declining civilizations throughout history.

WIthout having delved too deep into the analysis, a lot of pretty sophisticated commentators have observed that the fall of the Soviet Union fueled a lot of what's going on.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, G650 said:

Shit man, I thought you of all people around here would have known the term. Been around since the mid 90s at least.

I don't recall ever hearing it, but my main reaction was to the murderer's row of spares associated with the genre.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

26 minutes ago, Blotto said:

This dude cracks me up. Googled to see who he was. Apparently its some dude named Xavier Pressley who lives in Miami Beach. 

Photos: Outside Trump Doral As Ex-President Arrives for Arraignment

He's been at it for awhile. here's 2019

Xavier Presley protests outside of the Adrienne Arsht Center for the  Performing Arts in Miami on Wednesday, June 26, 2019, ahead of the first  Democratic presidential primary debates for the 2020 elections. (

Wheres the gofundme when you need it? Keep on keeping on, sir! 

I would be very surprised if that guy really has a white ass.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Look, you can have your musical tastes but you'll have to pry my cell phone from my cold, dead fingers before I change my wife's custom ring tone from Crazy Bitch. 

I used to hang out with this bartender in Boise who was on the Boise State dance team and when that song would come on she would make a point to sing along and dance to it, taking a break to reassure me that she had NO IDEA why she liked it so much. 
Later when she was a Broncos cheerleader she became briefly famous because they put a close up of her crotch on Monday Night Football. 
Nice kid. Good dancer. 

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, miguelito said:

Stfu with all this generation talk. None of you are making a good case that *your* generation is worth a shit by fucking up this thread.

ok boomer

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

There will be some transfer of wealth, but lets be honest about wealth distribution in this country. 

image.png.1ac9a6ecaeb27840559271404d4d054f.png

Data source

The bottom 90% of the country is working with 32% of the wealth. Approximately the same percentage that the top 1% holds. That results in median wealth of about ~$250K for people over the age of 55 in this country. That net wealth includes real estate holdings. If you're passing that down to multiple children, its a nice bump but its not life changing money. 

Additionally its getting expensive as fuck to be old in this country. I observed that as my mom just passed this spring from Alzheimer's. She spent the last 5 years of her life in assisted living with the last 2 years in memory care.  The places she lived were really nice....far nicer than where a medicare patient gets to live.  We were lucky that she took out a long term care insurance policy when my dad died, but we fully exhausted her policy "max payout" of $350K in 3 years, and the cost of her memory care facility was significantly more than assisted living. I want to say about $160K per year towards the end with all of the services she received. 

The wealthier (say top 10%) are going to increasingly stay in those types of facilities, and when they're burning $150K a year getting old, that wealth transfer is going to corporations not children. And they hoover that shit up fucking FAST.

This is the most depressing shit I've read in a while. 

And I've read a lot of depressing shit lately. 

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He has little or no defense on the facts -- the merits -- unless somehow some of the witnesses are extremely not credible.  Unlikely.

There are a number of procedural stunts that might get him off, but they're longshots.

I saw an article that pointed out that all of the documents on which he is accused were part of the original 15 boxes or in response to the subpoena.  Looks like Smith might be trying to sidestep any issues with the search warrant.

Or it could just be that those are the least sensitive, which would also explain why the orange goblin wasn't interested in squirreling those away like the others. 

20 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Back on topic, does this 9-0 decision affect the venue discourse?

This might have been relevant if they had brought the indictment elsewhere and the trial or appellate court found that venue was improper after he was convicted. But it's moot now. 

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

This might have been relevant if they had brought the indictment elsewhere and the trial or appellate court found that venue was improper after he was convicted. But it's moot now. 

I know others have said there's not much chance of superseding indictment but maybe for example the Bedminster was a site of some other possible crimes of disclosure and there was a fear and hesitancy to bring charges outside of south florida due to that possibility of an overturned conviction on that technicality. If I'm not misunderstanding the supreme court decision it sounds like that wouldn't count as double jeopardy. I wouldn't weep much about him being tried twice as long as he's convicted each time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Back on topic, does this 9-0 decision affect the venue discourse?

The Court rejects Smith’s argument that the Double Jeopardy Clause is implicated by retrial in a proper venue. A judicial decision on venue is fundamentally different from a jury’s general verdict of acquittal. When a jury returns a general verdict of not guilty, its decision “cannot be upset by speculation or inquiry into such matters” by courts. Dunn v. United States, 284 U. S. 390, 393–394. And because it is impossible for courts to be certain about the ground for the verdict without improperly delving into jury deliberations, the basis for the jury’s verdict cannot be a ground for setting aside an acquittal. Generally verdicts of acquittal are thus consistent with the general rule that “[c]ulpability . . . is the touchstone” for determining whether retrial is permitted under the Double Jeopardy Clause. Evans v. Michigan, 568 U. S. 313, 324. Under that rule, when a trial terminates with a finding that the defendant’s “criminal culpability had not been established,” retrial is prohibited. Burks v. United States, 437 U. S. 1, 10. Con- versely, retrial is permissible when a trial terminates “on a basis un- related to factual guilt or innocence of the offence of which [the defend- ant] is accused,” United States v. Scott, 437 U. S. 82, 99, e.g., juror deadlock, see Blueford v. Arkansas, 566 U. S. 599, 610. Similarly, the reversal of a conviction based on a violation of the Venue or Vicinage Clauses, even when styled as a “judgment of acquittal” under Rule 29, plainly does not resolve “the bottom-line question of ‘criminal culpability.’ ” Evans, 568 U. S., at 324, n. 6. In this case, then, the Eleventh Circuit’s decision that venue was improper did not adjudicate Smith’s culpability, and thus does not trigger the Double Jeopardy Clause

Well, as Florida is the correct venue, that issue is not as crucial as if they decided to try it in D.C.     I thought there was some other venue case pending at SCOTUS, but I dunno..,

6 minutes ago, The Dog said:

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY POOR ME STOP BEING MEAN TO ME OMG 11!!!!

This is even funnier when you think about the fact, that he signed into law the bill making mishandling of classified documents a felony.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-signed-a-law-making-mishandling-classified-docs-a-felony

Also, his tweets, truthbombs, or whatever read like the worst of the criminal pro se appellate briefs.  The dude has a real future as an unsuccessful jailhouse writ writer.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dunning-Kruger Effect on full display
My kid's are tolerant and mostly progressive or unitinterested in politics. He's in Aisd. His cousins in Montgomery County are future Trumpers by and large save the smart few that got out and went to UT or out of state.

• blacklab changed the title to 45 indicated
  • immamac changed the title to Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty Guilty