45 indicated

Cairn Horn88

On 2/7/2024 at 10:16 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

I didn't say he wasn't.  My bitch is that it is taking for fucking ever. If one has money (or unlimited stupid redneck funding) one can delay a trial indefinitely. 

It's fucking infuriating to me.     

Not all cases are being delayed indefinitely. The one case that dotard needed ruled in his favor (CO ballot) went through the system at the speed of light.  I guess it’s just a coincidence or bad luck.  Ahhh well, nevertheless.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Not all cases are being delayed indefinitely. The one case that dotard needed ruled in his favor (CO ballot) went through the system at the speed of light.  I guess it’s just a coincidence or bad luck.  Ahhh well, nevertheless.  

They had a March deadline.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

hey if it makes you feel better my Mom had a poster of the Osmonds hung up in my room so...

i outgrew them pretty quick tho, pretty much from the first moment i heard a distorted guitar

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

When she refused to file it under seal, they asked for reconsideration, citing the broader standard, and attaching evidence in the form of what appears to be a summary of a criminal investigation of people threatening and tampering with witnesses against Trump.  They also sought permission to file that under seal AND ex parte, meaning  Trump's lawyers wouldn't even get to see it.  That's highly unusual.  So, she's keeping the document under seal, but ordering them to give it to Trump's lawyers.  Not really all that dramatic.

The problem is that trump lawyers have a documented habit of leaking documents, and the documents in question are classified information that he's already under indictment for storing in an unlocked shitter. 

When trumps pocket judge is ordering the government to give trump BACK the shit that he STOLE, it's pretty goddamn dramatic. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

All I know is the stall tactics will work and we'll get to hear all our resident attorneys tell us that's how it's supposed to work.

Not trying to be a dick to our lawyer friends, just sick of hearing about how having unlimited funds makes one de facto untouchable. 

Star Trek Bones GIF

"Unlimited?"

16 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

All I know is the stall tactics will work and we'll get to hear all our resident attorneys tell us that's how it's supposed to work.

Not trying to be a dick to our lawyer friends, just sick of hearing about how having unlimited funds makes one de facto untouchable. 

See, it has to be that way, because otherwise the poors with unlimited funds wouldn't have justice on their side.

Wait, what?

16 hours ago, Rimbo said:

hey if it makes you feel better my Mom had a poster of the Osmonds hung up in my room so...

i outgrew them pretty quick tho, pretty much from the first moment i heard a distorted guitar

https://www.reddit.com/r/reactiongifs/s/93K1RSNgMH

BTO and James Gang…won them during call-ins to KZOM 104.5.  

best album rock station in the state with the single best bumper sticker of all time…

kzom.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

The courts are part of the government.  The government often is underfunded.  Results follow.

But as I mentioned above, despite delay attempts, the process, to many of us who are pretty familiar with it, is accelerated with regard to Trump's appeals.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

No one is saying that's how it is supposed to work.  It's how it does work.  Pretty much for everyone.  

Like dcbc says, courts and other legal institutions are underfunded if you want speed, and no one seems to want to do anything about it. Maybe they're funded just about right, because the rest of the world seems to proceed at about the same pace, at least as far as civil cases, patents and trademarks go.  Some are probably swifter in criminal because they don't afford the same rights to defendants.

The first thing you learn as a baby lawyer is that you are going to experience extreme delayed gratification in just about anything you do in any legal system.  It's all years, not months, not weeks.  You get inured to it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/9/2024 at 9:59 PM, Captainant said:

The problem is that trump lawyers have a documented habit of leaking documents, and the documents in question are classified information that he's already under indictment for storing in an unlocked shitter. 

When trumps pocket judge is ordering the government to give trump BACK the shit that he STOLE, it's pretty goddamn dramatic. 

It isn't the shit he stole. It's an exhibit detailing either threats to witnesses or investigation of those threats that the government wants to keep even from Trump's lawyers while arguing the information to support something.  That's kind of frowned on in America.

I'm not aware of his lawyers, subject to a protective order in a live court proceeding, leaking documents.  And if it were classified documents, there would be the precise same penalties applied to the lawyers.

These lawyers, especially Todd Blanche, are a cut above the usual Trump clown show.  Lauro is a blowhard, but apparently not a clown like Habba, or even Joe Bob Dobalina Tacopina.

So, yeah, not really very dramatic. Except in your fevered brain and some other people's.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

GGK-W2KXcAApadK.jpg.018cacbcb34b51521d3244acd0cc6401.jpg

Spoiler: it will not make any difference.  None at all.

Donald Trump could stand in front of the White House, decapitate a puppy and fuck its bloody throat while yelling "I wish this was my daughter, and also hail Satan!," all on live TV broadcast on every network and every social media site, and he would lose not a single supporter.  In fact, their support for them would only become stronger, because the criticism he would get is proof that the libs really ARE out to get him.

You all know that's true.  The criming only makes them love him more.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Trump asks SC to temporarily block last week's DC Circuit decision that said Trump had no immunity from election subversion charges brought by Jack Smith.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/12/politics/trump-supreme-court-immunity-filing/index.html

Former President Donald Trump on Monday asked the Supreme Court to step into the charged dispute over whether he may claim immunity from prosecution, once again pressing the nine justices to resolve a question that could undermine his campaign for a second term.

Trump asked the Supreme Court to temporarily block a scathing and unanimous decision from the DC Circuit handed down last week that flatly rejected his claims of immunity from election subversion charges brought by special counsel Jack Smith.

“Conducting a months-long criminal trial of President Trump at the height of election season will radically disrupt President Trump’s ability to campaign against President Biden,” Trump’s attorneys wrote in their request.

The DC Circuit’s ruling “threatens immediate irreparable injury to the First Amendment interests of President Trump and tens of millions of American voters, who are entitled to hear President Trump’s campaign message as they decide how to cast their ballots in November.”

The emergency filing instantly shoves the Supreme Court into the unusual position of having to juggle two politically fraught matters involving the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination. Four days ago, the court heard a historic argument over whether Trump should be disqualified from the ballot for his actions on January 6, 2021.

How the Supreme Court responds to Trump’s request will have huge influence on whether – and how quickly – the former president will be put on trial for criminal allegations as he seeks the Republican nomination and presidency again.

Trump took the unusual step of saying he might seek to two avenues to appeal the earlier decision: An appeal to the Supreme Court and, potentially, a separate rehearing before the full DC Circuit. That move underscored Trump’s unusual position in a case where he was incentivized to file at the Supreme Court but also wants to preserve his ability to keep the immunity question before the appeals court.

“Former President Trump is making it rather clear that his goal is to stretch out these proceedings as much as possible,” said Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law.

While that won’t necessarily stop the justices from treating the filing as an appeal, “it underscores Trump’s unambiguous endgame here, which is to play out the string for as long as the courts will let him,” Vladeck added.

A panel of three DC Circuit judges set an aggressive timeline for Trump to appeal, nudging him directly to the Supreme Court and effectively requiring him to make his request by Monday. A key part of Trump’s legal strategy has been to delay his criminal cases until after the 2024 election. The fight over Trump’s immunity had already prompted US District Judge Tanya Chutkan to postpone a trial date previously set for March 4.

Chief Justice John Roberts, who handles emergency appeals from the DC Circuit, will likely set out a schedule quickly that will offer clues about the timing. Smith, eager to avoid further delay in starting a trial, is expected to push for a quick resolution.

Generally, it takes the votes of five justices to grant a stay.

At issue is a striking 57-page unanimous opinion from the DC Circuit on Tuesday that allowed Trump to face charges for actions he took while in office and brushed aside his claims that former presidents are immune from such prosecution.

“We cannot accept that the office of the Presidency places its former occupants above the law for all time thereafter,” the court wrote. “Former President Trump lacked any lawful discretionary authority to defy federal criminal law and he is answerable in court for his conduct.”

Broadly, Trump argued in court that presidents might be hesitant to act if they were concerned about the prospect of criminal charges after they left office. His criminal indictment in the 2020 election interference probe, if allowed to stand, would have a “chilling effect” on future administrations, he said.

But US Circuit Judges Karen LeCraft Henderson, Florence Pan and J. Michelle Childs rejected all of Trump’s arguments that those principles conferred sweeping protections to a former president.

The judges were clear that the allegations against Trump are serious and left no question they believe the charges can be prosecuted. The panel repeatedly eviscerated Trump’s alleged behavior after the 2020 presidential election as unpresidential and constituting an assault on American institutions.

The case has already made its way to the Supreme Court once before. In December, the justices rejected a request from Smith to leapfrog the DC Circuit and decide the immunity question on an expedited basis. At that time, the court did not explain its reasoning and there were no noted dissents.

Trump’s lawyers referenced the earlier decision in the very first line of their brief, quoting the renowned late Yankees catcher Yogi Berra.

“This application is ‘déjà vu all over again,’” Trump’s attorneys wrote.

During more than two hours of oral arguments Thursday in the separate ballot case, most of the justices appeared willing to side with Trump on the question of whether he can appear on the ballot or if his actions on January 6 made him ineligible under the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban.” The court may have to decide how it wants to handle the former president’s immunity claim at the same time it is drafting an opinion in the ballot case.

Together, the cases have thrust the court into the middle of this year’s presidential election in a way it has largely managed to avoid since its decision in Bush v. Gore effectively decided the 2000 election between former President George W. Bush and former Vice President Al Gore.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Spoiler: it will not make any difference.  None at all.

Donald Trump could stand in front of the White House, decapitate a puppy and fuck its bloody throat while yelling "I wish this was my daughter, and also hail Satan!," all on live TV broadcast on every network and every social media site, and he would lose not a single supporter.  In fact, their support for them would only become stronger, because the criticism he would get is proof that the libs really ARE out to get him.

You all know that's true.  The criming only makes them love him more.

CNN: Trump’s puppy stunt stuns FEMA, but now to our main story, we talk about Biden’s problem at the border. Does he even understand the problem at his age? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Neonmoon said:

CNN: Trump’s puppy stunt stuns FEMA, but now to our main story, we talk about Biden’s problem at the border. Does he even understand the problem at his age? 

Bingo.

His fucking insanely evil shit has utterly desensitized most to how shitty it is, and the media are key architects of that phenomenon.  They fucking normalize him saying that he gleefully would tell Russia to skullfuck our NATO allies.  That is 100%, no-questions, no-doubt, a completely disqualifying statement if you are running for POTUS.  And it just passes, like any other number of evil shit he says.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Bingo.

His fucking insanely evil shit has utterly desensitized most to how shitty it is, and the media are key architects of that phenomenon.  They fucking normalize him saying that he gleefully would tell Russia to skullfuck our NATO allies.  That is 100%, no-questions, no-doubt, a completely disqualifying statement if you are running for POTUS.  And it just passes, like any other number of evil shit he says.

Speaking of media, Jon Stewart's first show back with The Daily Show is tonight.

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If any reporter was worth a shit, they ask every R congressman/senator/voter they talk to.

Are you okay with voting for a rapist?

"I don't believe anyone has been convicted of rape."

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Speaking of media, Jon Stewart's first show back with The Daily Show is tonight.

Is this a real thing? 

13 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Chiding anyone about nobility is rich coming from a GGW alum.

(Pre-emptive apologies if I’m confusing you with a different poster)

nope, it's me.  and yes, i think it's silly to deactivate access to twitter because you don't like the nazi running it.  i hate his fucking guts, but i enjoy the platform, regardless of how much he's trying to fuck it up.  it's not like i pay for a blue check.

there are probably several companies i "support" that have shitbags in charge.  i've been off facebook since 2012 so hopefully this evens me out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Really? Because it doesn't seem to be stopping him. 

Oh it sounded like a mini-campaign stop, but his moron followers probably think he can’t do both at the same time.  Or in his subconscious he is incapable of running for office while dealing with the court cases.

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh it sounded like a mini-campaign stop, but his moron followers probably think he can’t do both at the same time.  Or in his subconscious he is incapable of running for office while dealing with the court cases.

Someone should remind him that a person who holds an office is an officer.