2023 Tropical Storm and Hurricane thread

HiggyBaby

14 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

Last tropical storm strength tropical cyclone to hit Southern California was in 1939.
(LA Times has a neat look back at it:  https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-08-17/has-a-hurricane-ever-hit-los-angeles-before )

Parts of the California desert will get more rain in 48 hours than they've received in the past five years.
Parts of the High Sierra will get SNOW!!!

And....
Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, California... all in a track cone BEFORE Florida this season....

May be an image of map and textImageImage

I know it will likely cause some issues, but so happy to see the Sierra Nevada get some rain. Was up there this summer and the impact of the fires is everywhere. It's said that 20% of the giant sequoias (those 4ft in diameter) have died in the past three years due to fire.

12 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. Watched Yeoman's tonight. Essentially "It still has a long way to go, but models are now showing the impact shifting more south, decreasing our rain chances."

My impression was it will still be a storm. We don't get shit.

This is exactly right. San Antonio will get 5" and Austin/Georgetown ????

Nothing. 

• Rage+1 1

It really does seem like when it comes to climate change, Austin is just smack in the middle of the most impacted area. From temps to droughts to freezes, we're just getting it from all angles.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It really does seem like when it comes to climate change, Austin is just smack in the middle of the most impacted area. From temps to droughts to freezes, we're just getting it from all angles.

“Find a river named Colorado and suck it 100% dry” does not seem to be a winning long term strategy. 

I just pulled into LA.  I’m moving my daughter back in for the fall semester.  With my weather luck, expect LA to be under water Monday morning when I’m headed back north.  Remains to be c seen how long it retains its strength.  But yeah pepper your angus SoCal.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Craziness in SoCal. Hurricane Hillary!

Yea coming back home tomorrow after being in swamp ass Florida. Local coworkers and friends all messaged asking what to do in a Hurricane since I’ve dealt with them before in Florida, I couldn’t help but laugh and say it’s nothing as bad as those times, then I felt bad because they seem pretty worried. I think some recent floods have them scared but I don’t what to do other than Gtfo or hope you don’t lose power

Edited by Zepol87

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea coming back home tomorrow after being in swamp ass Florida. Local coworkers and friends all messaged asking what to do in a Hurricane since I’ve dealt with them before in Florida, I couldn’t help but laugh and say it’s nothing as bad as those times, then I felt bad because they seem pretty worried. I think some recent floods have them scared but I don’t what to do other than Gtfo or hope you don’t lose power

Get on the southbound and head north. 

bajacaneScreenshot2023-08-19141542.thumb.jpg.7ef5bf3fc17667a78e4d8e3bfa55be60.jpg

it's got a 3000-mile energy tail feeding it

i see it starting to grab ahold of land halfway up near or exactly on the tortugas peninsula, pulling itself across baja in to the golfo de cali, and then riding up the Colorado to Havasu when the elevation gain starts to impede it's progress, the top bands grab ahold of the mogollon rim, and it dumps it's load on phoenix

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

seems like an area that can use some rain - not all at once, but should help Lake Mead and the Hoover Dam reservoir

It would be nice for the Colorado for the storm to spin to the east a bit.  Whatever falls in these boundaries will help:

coloradoriverbasinviausgs_0.png

(Darn it, I was not the first to post this!)

Edited by Texas Jeff

24 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Costco is a mess.  I didn’t do any prep

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Parliament said:

How much is Hoover Reservoir and the others gonna rise because of this? 

Mead?  It will help, but nowhere near what an above average snow season in the watershed does.  
This will be worth a 6-12" perhaps.  This winter's snowmelt has been worth about 15' of elevation since January.

Mead?  It will help, but nowhere near what an above average snow season in the watershed does.  
This will be worth a 6-12" perhaps.  This winter's snowmelt has been worth about 15' of elevation since January.
Yall Cali folks mind where you park your cars. Buddie's new car got totalled a few years back after heavy rains caused a small mudslide, which blocked Drainage and a street that never floods flooded up to roof of his car.

6 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

I just pulled into LA.  I’m moving my daughter back in for the fall semester.  With my weather luck, expect LA to be under water Monday morning when I’m headed back north.  Remains to be c seen how long it retains its strength.  But yeah pepper your angus SoCal.

Hey, if your daughter needs a place to ride the storm out, I'm down in San Diego 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Hey, if your daughter needs a place to ride the storm out, I'm down in San Diego 

Never change, surly.  She’s good, moved in to dorm ahead of the rain starting and I’m going to weather the storm tomorrow before heading back first thing Monday.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just looked at Levi's dissertation from yesterday's twitter, looks like So Tex is gonna get some rain sometime around Tuesday.  KGNS is forecasting an 88% chance for Zapata.  I might have to drive down just to refresh my memory on what rains look like.  Who would have ever thought, you'd have to go there to find rain?  In the meantime, I'll try to do my part and go wash the wife's SUV.  Fingers and toes crossed.

• Hook 'Em 1

You can’t make this shit up.
Death ridge looks to hang around until mid October.

Fixed it for this year’s track record.
Maybe oughta be November 1st.
You can’t make this shit up.
Death ridge looks to hang around until mid October.

Fixed it for this year’s track record.
Maybe oughta be November 1st.