Tucker Carlson FIRED

Eastwood

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

It doesn't matter who gets fired. They'll just find some new shithead to read the teleprompter as if it's gospel.

This is in part true.  And now that he's gone, I can say this---there was something uniquely cunty about Tucker Carlson.  Guys like O'Reilly and Beck are racist, misogynist, anti-queer assholes.  They hate the black, the poor, the gay, the foreign, and puppies.  But their schtick was predictable.  And I think deep down, they were at least pro-America (twisted though it may be) Reagan-acolytes.  And they were at least transparent enough to say, "This is me, this is an issue, this is what me thinks of issue."  

Tucker had two unique attributes.  He was clever in that he realized that a man with a middle school picture day haircut and vocal fry, could tap into the darkest places in the Fox audience with deft coyness.  His whole routine of just asking questions and finishing every controversial statement with the intonation of a junior high girl from Dallas was a stroke of genius.  He became a McGuffin, he was the Hunter Biden's laptop of news personalities.  By delivering his sick message with the cadence and interrogative positing he did, he was able to let the Fox audience project onto him their worst thoughts and fears and he volleyed it back to them with less force so they felt warmer and more at home with their hate-filled thoughts and concerns.  I've never seen/heard anything like it.  It will be emulated and parroted, but never matched.  Alex Jones, Charlie Kirk, Ben Shapiro, Nick Fuentes, Steve Bannon, even Sean Hannity...they can't do what Tucker did.  They are beta males who have to try and assert themselves on top of the message to gain positioning.  And it works, but only to a certain extent.  They are still the message.  Tucker's unique approach was he slides in alongside the message as not so much the messenger, but the guy who glides smoothly over next to you on the sofa and asks what you think of all this madness in the world while patting your knee or shoulder and offering a cup of tea.  

And his second great difference is that Tucker was very clearly to anybody but his most demented followers, a propagandist in the Anti-American sense.  He took another gambit after Biden took office and Russia invaded Ukraine that he could drum up enough anti-aid-to-Ukraine fervor in this country to usurp the BIden administration.  He became a Russian puppet, even more than Trump, and thought it was a tack worth taking.  After the election fraud bullshit, which he knew was bullshit, ran outta steam, the next move was Hunter Biden's laptop and that doesn't seem to have legs after six fucking years.  So the next move was "Biden is selling out America to help Ukraine" and it played okay with the base but it never got big traction with the mainstream GOP and centre-right/centre-left bloc of Americans.  But had he kept at it, who knows?  May have put larger dents in Biden's armor leading up to 2024.  I think he would have more progress towards the goal but for the fact he's a sexual predator who cost his company $800mm.  Shit like that...boss ain't gonna bankroll your little pet project anymore.  

When you're taking a shit at work or at lunch, call 512-463-0001.  Lt. Gov. Patrick's office.  Don't say "Voter" and don't say "donor", say "Supporter."  You're a supporter of the Lt. Gov. and you want to encourage him to take over Tucker Carlson's spot on FoxNews.  It just needs to get enough rumor inertia on social media and around the Capitol to undermine him in the 2023 legislative session /noCR.....but he is from broadcasting by trade.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s not the point. They’re not “selling” a company that’s public, unless to someone who is taking private. Which isn’t happening. I didn’t say they’re not running Fox, I said the concept of preparing it for a sale makes no sense .

The public company (Fox Corporation) is just a holding company for a bunch of subsidiaries that actually own the various Fox properties, including Fox News, Fox Business, the Fox Network, all of the Fox sports properties and a bunch of television stations around the country.  The public company doesn't have to be sold or taken private to divest Fox News Network, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the public company that owns Fox News and Fox Business.  Fox Corporation could enter into an agreement to sell Fox News Network, LLC tomorrow.         

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The public company (Fox Corporation) is just a holding company for a bunch of subsidiaries that actually own the various Fox properties, including Fox News, Fox Business, the Fox Network, all of the Fox sports properties and a bunch of television stations around the country.  The public company doesn't have to be sold or taken private to divest Fox News Network, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the public company that owns Fox News and Fox Business.  Fox Corporation could enter into an agreement to sell Fox News Network, LLC tomorrow.         

Just as they sold off a shitload of assets with the broadcast Fox TV channel, 20th Century Fox, and FX stuff to Disney.

5 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Tucker Carlson and Don Lemon fired on the same day, you know what I call that?

A good start to the week; hoping to see Hannity, Doocy, anyone who says fair and balanced, Acosta, Shelter, throw in Blitzer (because I don't really like him)....that would make Tuesday a good day as well.

How about smug little Nate Silver?

Out at ABC. 

I wonder if fox is going to shift it's opinion host rhetoric to be less overtly pro-russia now that the kremlin's favorite hosts are incurring billions of dollars of judgements against the network 

This may have already been mentioned by someone in this thread but I always wonder when I see these opinions being espoused: what would Ronald Reagan think about fellow “Republicans” being pro-Russia?
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

yeah well just add them to the list of actors, sports persona (announcers, coaches, atheletes), influencers (the Kardashians are at the top of the list), message board monitors, etc.

aren’t the anchors mostly just….teleprompter readers?  how much of the value is unique to them individually?

actors and sports people are solo-performers. late-night variety show hosts require delivery skills for jokes and (some) spontaneity for interviewing. 

the rachel maddow and tucker carlson of the world, i dont imagine people are tuning in for their sex appeal, or that they write all their material.  if you keep the entire production the same and plop in another warm body in the seat, the product will be that much different?

According to Reagan's top aides and Nancy, one of the last lucid negotiating moments he had was working behind the scenes to assure Ukraine that they would be protected by the United States and NATO should they agree to transfer their nuclear arsenal back to Russia after the fall of the USSR and/or dismantle the silos/warheads within their borders (the NPT).  Remember, at the time of the fall of the Soviet Union, Ukraine was the third largest nuclear superpower on planet Earth.  This was a big deal, and most folks don't appreciate how Reagan helped backchannel before he fell truly ill.  He looked Ukrainian leaders in the eye and told them he would help protect them until his last dying breath. 

And now I have to listen to "stop aid to Ukraine" morons on Capitol Hill tell the American people we can't afford to because a single school in Illinois got over $5bn (that's right, she said five-billion) to teach CRT.  

He would put a fucking bullet in most of their heads.  He was old, he had his flaws, but he fucking loved this country more than himself, and knew Russia was rotten and evil from the first day of school.  It's a fucking crime some of y'all use his name and Commander Dipshit's in the same sentence.  Put on a dress and dance for your puppet-master Putin, you fucking traitors.   

• Hook 'Em 6

Those who are celebrating Tucker’s demise at FNC are misguided. He was being throttled there, and he will have options to actually increase his reach, should he choose to do so. I have a hard time thinking of anyone in the news arena - cable or broadcast network - who can move millions of viewers. Too many egomaniacs in the business fail to realize that they are easily replaced, and when they move, the needle barely budges. His monologues can be downright brilliant, and are themselves newsworthy. His long form interviews on Fox Nation make it obvious that he is not just a news reader. People who don’t realize this either never watch him or only see carefully edited clips.

Tucker is very antiestablishment, and some of his harshest criticisms are reserved for RINOs and career bureaucrats. He’s done multi-night hit pieces on Republicans and Republican donors. There are reasons why the Lindsay Grahams and Mitt Romneys don’t dare go on his show. I am friends with two Senators (one a very good friend) who are to varying degrees establishment Republicans. I have asked each of them why I don’t ever see them sticking their necks out on lip service issues, and the very mention of Tucker Carlson makes them a bit squeamish.

It’s pretty obvious that I am a bit of a Tucker fanboy. He’s the only one I watch with any regularity on FNC or Fox Nation. I already switched “cable” provider, not out of protest as much as not needing a package with Fox News. I’ve likewise non-renewed my Fox Nation subscription. Their news notifications will sit there right along with other news sources.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Those who are celebrating Tucker’s demise at FNC are misguided. He was being throttled there, and he will have options to actually increase his reach, should he choose to do so

He was already toxic to advertisers at FNC for what he was pushing while "being throttled" so I can't imagine that things will be that much better.

Lest we forget, Bill O'Reilly was arguably a bigger figure when he was fired than Tucker was, and how often do you hear about O'Reillly these days, outside of when he's pimping his shitty books?  Or Glenn Beck for that matter, who was getting to be big.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Those who are celebrating Tucker’s demise at FNC are misguided. He was being throttled there, and he will have options to actually increase his reach, should he choose to do so. I have a hard time thinking of anyone in the news arena - cable or broadcast network - who can move millions of viewers. Too many egomaniacs in the business fail to realize that they are easily replaced, and when they move, the needle barely budges. His monologues can be downright brilliant, and are themselves newsworthy. His long form interviews on Fox Nation make it obvious that he is not just a news reader. People who don’t realize this either never watch him or only see carefully edited clips.

Tucker is very antiestablishment, and some of his harshest criticisms are reserved for RINOs and career bureaucrats. He’s done multi-night hit pieces on Republicans and Republican donors. There are reasons why the Lindsay Grahams and Mitt Romneys don’t dare go on his show. I am friends with two Senators (one a very good friend) who are to varying degrees establishment Republicans. I have asked each of them why I don’t ever see them sticking their necks out on lip service issues, and the very mention of Tucker Carlson makes them a bit squeamish.

It’s pretty obvious that I am a bit of a Tucker fanboy. He’s the only one I watch with any regularity on FNC or Fox Nation. I already switched “cable” provider, not out of protest as much as not needing a package with Fox News. I’ve likewise non-renewed my Fox Nation subscription. Their news notifications will sit there right along with other news sources.

I'm of the opinion that his reach was never higher and deplatforming works.  I guess we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Post Oak said:

I'm of the opinion that his reach was never higher and deplatforming works.  I guess we'll see.

90% of us who are not O'Reilly fans cannot tell you without googling what O'Reilly is doing now.  Same goes for Megyn Kelly.  Or Ann Coulter.  Or half of those idiots... yes, they'll still have their legion of morons drooling over the words but the vast majority of olds will not be as exposed to them save for copy/paste e-mail forwards from other fellow olds... Tucker's words will end up being part of another random e-mail chain.  Instead his blathering will get as much coverage as "Here is a letter from a former police sergeant who is fed up with Joe Biden..." 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

All of this just sounds like you take 100% of your cues from one portion of the binary, mainstream news cycle and obediently follow suit.  To be fair, most people on both sides of the aisle do this now.  Thinking is laborious.  That entire post is a recycled language aggregate from the collective word salad of surface level political thought.  Go ahead and enjoy Tucker.  That's wonderful.  But even when confronted with criticism from other conservatives, you've learned to entirely dismiss because ... "RINO."  Like it's a reflex.  You were taught to do that without even knowing you took the class.  It's the exact same behavior some liberals fall into by dismissing perfectly rational policy from fiscal conservatives with:  "NAZIS!!!"   "People are cancelling their Fox Nation subscriptions?  I'll get right on that.  We're using the word 'RINO' now to reduce any countering thought and instinctively considering contemplative dissent as hurtful disloyalty?  Well allow me.  I can package all of these bullet point thoughts into my own worldview and avoid thinking?   Just recite the words that are fed to my forehead?  I'd literally like to subscribe to your newsletter."

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

So Wallyprior is basically an outright white supremacist, huh?

I don't think so. 

I don't even believe Tucker really is.  Carlson recites bigoted bullshit, but I think it's mainly because he finds himself superior to everyone and he only seeks to vibrate the needle.  I think he'll cynically espouse anything for response.  He's a chameleon.  He rarely did any of that while on MSNBC  or CNN, the other two shafts of the triple-sided, cable news dildo.  I honestly believe that once he was on Fox his measuring device instantly became the goal of being more extreme than Sean Hannity.  And it worked.  He surpassed Hannity in ratings at Fox.  He knows the non thinky people will digest whatever, but the most important thing is to stand apart, even from his own colleagues.    

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

2023 internet world…maybe he’ll continue to catch fire with podcasts / short-form videos / etc

He'll have to figure out the advertising thing.  Fox News was willing to pay him tens of millions even as he shed advertisers, because of the fees they were getting from cable TV providers.  If he slides over to podcasts/streaming video, unless he does it himself, whoever would sign him is not going to have Fox News's deep pockets, so either he tones things down to bring in advertisers or his paychecks will be extremely light.  Even then, it wouldn't it's not going to be advertisers with deep pockets.

Oh, and there is the issue that he's one of the reasons why Dominion sued Fox News - anybody willing to sign him will have to put some kind of muzzle on him, because if he goes right back to pushing defamation, the lawsuits will roll in.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I don't think so. 

I don't even believe Tucker really is.  Carlson recites bigoted bullshit, but I think it's mainly because he finds himself superior to everyone and he only seeks to vibrate the needle.  I think he'll cynically espouse anything for response.  He's a chameleon.  He rarely did any of that while on MSNBC  or CNN, the other two shafts of the triple-sided, cable news dildo.  I honestly believe that once he was on Fox his measuring device instantly became the goal of being more extreme than Sean Hannity.  And it worked.  He surpassed Hannity in ratings at Fox.  He knows the non thinky people will digest whatever, but the most important thing is to stand apart, even from his own colleagues.    

Blake Neff graduated from Dartmouth in 2013, and according to his school’s alumni magazine, “never applied to any job he’s landed.” Within four years of graduating, he was a top writer for Tucker Carlson’s nightly show on Fox News, the most watched cable news show in history. 

Just last week, he participated in a forum entitled, “Would u let a JET BLACK congo n****er do lasik eye surgery on u for 50% off?” (The original title spelled out the offensive word.) Neff responded in the forum, “I wouldn’t get LASIK from an Asian for free, so no.” In an earlier post, Neff stated, “Black doods staying inside playing Call of Duty is probably one of the biggest factors keeping crime down.” He also made derogatory comments about gay men and repeatedly posted information about a Facebook acquaintance, whose appearance and personal life became a running target of mockery on the forum.

Nor is Neff the only bigot Carlson has employed. In 2017, the Southern Poverty Law Center argued that “the Daily Caller has a white nationalist problem.” It reported that the website had published Jason Kessler, whose contributions to the Caller were removed after he organized the infamous “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville where neo-Nazi violence led to the murder of an anti-racist activist. During the time the Caller was publishing Kessler, the site’s deputy editor was Scott Greer, who was extensively photographed keeping company with such far-right groups as the Wolves of Vinland.

The Daily Caller initially rejected criticism of Greer, but ended up severing ties with him when it turned out that he had written under a pseudonym for Radix Journal, a white nationalist publication founded by neo-Nazi Richard Spencer. According to a report in The Atlantic, “Greer expressed racist antiblack views and anti-Semitism in the Radix articles he wrote under the Michael McGregor byline, and disparaged other groups including feminists, immigrants, Christian Zionists, and the pro-life movement.”

Aside from Neff, Kessler, and Greer, at least eight other writers with white nationalist ties have written for The Daily Caller, according to a detailed survey by Media Matters. They include Jonah Bennet, who participated in a white nationalist group chat.

Having one racist in your publication might be an accident, but having a dozen (if we include Carlson himself) suggests a more sinister pattern. There is, in fact, a racist social network that has a beachhead in Carlson’s media empire.

Almost seems intentional 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I don't think so. 

I don't think Tucker really believes anything other than what gets him attention. But obviously someone who is self-admittedly a fanboy who subscribed to Fox Nation to watch him interview people like fucking Curtis Yarvin does believe what Tucker has been saying and platforming for the last decade, which is a lot of openly white supremacist shit and a bunch of even weirder nonsense that makes the more traditional white supremacist stuff look tame.

• Hook 'Em 5

There's always been a market for poking fun at the excesses of liberal/progressive thought and the foibles of big government.  PJ O'Rourke was one of the originals, but usually remained pretty good natured about it and took some potshots at his own side in the process.

I think O'Rourke was actually good at it, a skilled humorist and observer.

My recollections are fuzzy, and I quit paying attention to Rush Limbaugh a long time ago, but I think he started in kind of the same vein.  But then got mean and angry about it.  And then a movement began to build around it, and it got not only angry and mean, but flat out bigoted and racist.

And Tucker just carries that on.  It doesn't require much skill or subtlety like O'Rourke; the meaner, more juvenile, and more outrageous, the better.  And Tucker carried it about as far as a "mainstream" personality has done, to date.  And his sort of preppy, clean-cut mannerisms make him smarmier than a lardass, cigar-smoking opiate addict like Rush.

I suspect that the RNC dislikes those guys for pulling back the curtain on the bigotry and racism that underlies a lot of GQP policies.  Yet they are conflicted because the express bigotry and racism is exactly what's giving them power right now.  And it would be the RNC, above any other GQP organization, that would continue to believe that they would be anywhere near as successful without the express bigotry and racism, which is of course delusional.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Anyone who claims Tucker is antiestablishment is either a troll or a moronic rube.  Which one are you?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Anyone who claims Tucker is antiestablishment is either a troll or a moronic rube.  Which one are you?

There is an anti-establishment element to this whole phenomenon.  It rebels against the political establishment while blindly supporting the economic establishment.  Deep state out front shoulda told ya.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

The fact that Tucker knowingly spreads pro-Kremlin propaganda with the intent of diminishing support for Ukraine's defense, which runs counter to US and Western interests, doesn't bother you is telling. This isn't simply a matter of conservative vs. liberal opinion; it's one of national security. So unless you think that Ukraine and our NATO allies aren't worth assisting, I think you're the one who's misguided here.

Just this one example is from only a couple of weeks ago:

During an April 13 broadcast, Fox News host Tucker Carlson cited a tranche of recently leaked U.S. intelligence documents as evidence that “Ukraine is in fact losing the war” against Russia. Carlson said that “seven Ukrainians are being killed for every Russian,” a claim that receives no support from the leaked documents, the authenticity of which has been confirmed by U.S. officials. 

Carlson did not provide a citation for his claim regarding the ratio of Ukrainian to Russian dead, but the numbers he cited are explicitly contradicted by the leaked intelligence documents he referenced elsewhere in his April 13 broadcast. According to reporting by the New York Times, the leaked documents estimate that up to 43,000 Russians and 17,500 Ukrainians have been killed in action during the war. These numbers have been corroborated by other sources including Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, and the Financial Times. Here are the broader casualty estimates from the documents as reported by Jake Epstein of Business Insider: 

One document in particular suggests that Russia has suffered between 189,500 and 223,000 casualties, including between 35,500 and 43,000 soldiers killed in action and between 154,000 and 180,000 troops wounded.

Ukraine, by contrast, has suffered between 124,500 and 131,000 casualties, including between 15,500 and 17,500 soldiers killed in action and between 109,000 and 113,500 troops wounded.  

A counterfeit version of the leaked casualty report that greatly exaggerates Ukrainian casualties and downplays Russian casualties has been circulated online by a pro-Kremlin social media personality who styles herself “Donbass Devushka.”  “Donbass Devushka” is actually  37-year-old former U.S. Navy legal clerk Sarah Bils, who presently resides in Oak Harbor, Washington, near Naval Air Station Whidbey Island where she once served. A news exclusive and interview with Bils conducted by the Wall Street Journal includes this assessment of her social media posts pertaining to Russian and Ukrainian casualty numbers: 

Some of the slides reposted on the Telegram account overseen by Ms. Bils had been altered from the otherwise identical photographs allegedly posted by Airman Teixeira on Discord—changed to inflate Ukrainian losses and play down Russian casualties. A subsequent post on the Donbass Devushka Telegram channel, on April 12, denied that the image had been doctored by the administrators.   

It is unclear as to whether or not the altered documents posted by Bils constitute the source of Carlson’s claim. The Dispatch Fact Check has contacted Fox News for clarification regarding his sources.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

@ImissWallyPryor

Honestly, a big part of where we are today is people drinking poison day after day and not even realizing it.  It's reshaping brains in very negative ways.  Boomers are told to hate and are stuck inside seeking the dopamine hit of the next time they are told their hatred was right.  I hope you are young enough* that you can seek alternative avenues of information so you can find ways to push back against sources that dose this noxious stuff into everything.

*user name makes me skeptical

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Holy shit.... Imagine admitting all of this. Wow.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Honestly, it's refreshing. At least he admits it. Other than him, the most popular news show on television apparently doesn't have a single regular viewer.

@BabaYaga and @ChickenSandwich definitely didn’t tune in to Tucker’s show nightly. They’ve really only heard of the guy based on posts here.

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I'm curious how old you are? Given the fact that you say you're friends with two senators and the average senator is over 65, I'm guessing you're an old.