2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.

I know one of the Houston guys who funds NIL.  He’s my age.  Don’t think he can do what he’s done the last couple years indefinitely. My understanding is we need more guys like him and that CDC recognizes this.  Maybe he can get some of the old money guys to direct money from LHF to TOF.  Hopefully our professional class/entrepreneurs like many of us can get a high percentage to make monthly donations. 

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s likely to continue to say he is doing almost all of it and it isn’t sustainable.  That will be the case into perpetuity. It was true last year and the year before in terms of capital contributed, but it’s not true this year and it won’t be in the future. None of this happens without him and he deserves a ton of credit, to be certain.

That’s if we’re talking about the same person and you’re welcome to DM me on it. There is only one guy that can credibly say that kind of stuff and, like I said and posted previously, the original goal of making this sustainable is now within sight.

I have now run into a ton of instances in which someone is claiming to be a driver of Texas NIL. I’ve listened to them talk and winced. If someone is giving something to TOF and/or Burnt Ends and programs like it, they are doing their part and we should all be grateful. That said, anyone that claims they’re leading it has pumped in 7 figures or they’ve helped invent the shit and/or run one of the programs or they are flatly full of shit.

There are some folks out there that have put in small amounts and like to tell people they’ve been running shit. Goes with the territory of this kind of thing. There are some big LHF donors, legitimate BMD, that have dropped in really low contributions to TOF who have then turned around and told people they’re running the shit. 

On two occasions in person at random events - one was a kid’s sporting event and one was at an elementary school function - I have witnessed two different guys pontificate about how they’re handling NIL and football at Texas. In both scenarios, I’ve gone full Arnold Schwarzenegger/Bill Paxton True Lies fantasy death punch in my head and then said nothing, shaken my head, and meandered to less idiotic spaces for breathing.  I really think that kind of silliness is hurting the continual drive for new capital and growth. I feel that way for two reasons:

1) It implies that everything is well in hand. It isn’t. We’re heading there, but there is always a steep hill in front of us and creating that notion that it’s all covered by loudmouthed guy at the ball field isn’t helping. 

2) The kind of guy doing that isn’t going to be the kind of guy that inspires others to participate anyway. “Yeah, I’m following the blowhard. Where do I sign?”

God damn it.  So you’re saying my 20 bucks I pitch in a month means I can’t say I single handledly got Mukuba to Texas?  

Sorry guys. 

In all seriousness, the shit is incredible to watch.  The second the NCAA allowed for it, the behind the scenes people of making this work got rollin.  I know my contribution ain’t much, but shit I’m glad I’m apart of it and that Sark is getting utilize a damn weapon.  Good work. 

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
  • Hook 'Em 9

11 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

God damn it.  So you’re saying my 20 bucks I pitch in a month means I can’t say I single handledly got Mukuba to Texas?  

Sorry guys. 

In all seriousness, the shit is incredible to watch.  The second the NCAA allowed for it, the behind the scenes people of making this work got rollin.  I know my contribution ain’t much, but shit I’m glad I’m apart of it and that Sark is getting utilize a damn weapon.  Good work. 

Take it from me, words matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This is total horse shit.

There is no way!!!…

…that a Wolverine alum has a “Texas buddy”.

you jest ...

I have 4 or 5 Michigan buds that I've known 30-40 years.  Some of the most quality people I've ever met. These would be among the smartest guys in the room. I probably have more friends from Michigan fitting that criteria than from Austin.  That's one reason I'm looking forward to going to Ann Arbor this year.

A couple of them would shred the Double Black Diamonds at Taos, screaming like a sewing machine going down "Al's Run", with moguls the size of Volkswagens.

One stood up in my wedding in the 80's; I introduced him to his wife.  On the drive from Houston to Austin for a Texas football game, he drank 5 beers before we got to Columbus. I'll be hanging with him before the game next year.

One a was fellow young engineer at a competing gas processing plant in South Louisiana, kindred spirits in bringing new ideas to facilities built in the 50's.

One was affectionately referred to as "the professor" by fellow employees and colleagues; he referred me to PhD's in my company, to get help understanding a dense phase "hydraulics" issue.

One has a summer home in Maine. I'll see him this summer.

I recognize that not all representatives are quality, but the % of the ones I've met fitting in that group puts the Victors at the top of the list.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, PTINS said:

you jest ...

I have 4 or 5 Michigan buds that I've known 30-40 years.  Some of the most quality people I've ever met. These would be among the smartest guys in the room. I probably have more friends from Michigan fitting that criteria than from Austin.  That's one reason I'm looking forward to going to Ann Arbor this year.

A couple of them would shred the Double Black Diamonds at Taos, screaming like a sewing machine going down "Al's Run", with moguls the size of Volkswagens.

One stood up in my wedding in the 80's; I introduced him to his wife.  On the drive from Houston to Austin for a Texas football game, he drank 5 beers before we got to Columbus. I'll be hanging with him before the game next year.

One a was fellow young engineer at a competing gas processing plant in South Louisiana, kindred spirits in bringing new ideas to facilities built in the 50's.

One was affectionately referred to as "the professor" by fellow employees and colleagues; he referred me to PhD's in my company, to get help understanding a dense phase "hydraulics" issue.

I recognize that not all representatives are quality, but the % of the ones I've met fitting in that group puts the Victors at the top of the list.

How many of them are named Bill Brasky?

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

you jest ...

I'll be honest, most of the Michigan grads I've met were the worst kind of insecure New York finance asshole. Every school has their highs and lows.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I posted this on the FB board but will post it in a few threads here too:

Some of us just sorted a whole bunch of NIL stuff for the 2024 cycle for Texas football on behalf of everyone else. Texas roster management is elite in CFB at this point. Everyone should sleep easy about transfers and people leaving.  Other schools, almost all of them, cannot say what I just said.

Praise be to Sarkisian, Billy Glasscock, Brandon Harris, Texas BMDs, CDC, the TOF and some random, ragtag rapscallions who had the audacity to say “fuck it, this is happening and we are doing this motherfucking thing and damn the consequences”, and Bobby Burton.  

Episode 5 Thank You GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I posted this on the FB board but will post it in a few threads here too:

Some of us just sorted a whole bunch of NIL stuff for the 2024 cycle for Texas football on behalf of everyone else. Texas roster management is elite in CFB at this point. Everyone should sleep easy about transfers and people leaving.  Other schools, almost all of them, cannot say what I just said.

Praise be to Sarkisian, Billy Glasscock, Brandon Harris, Texas BMDs, CDC, the TOF and some random, ragtag rapscallions who had the audacity to say “fuck it, this is happening and we are doing this motherfucking thing and damn the consequences”, and Bobby Burton.  

As a poor, I appreciate it how much effort a lot of you put into this venture.  Sark and CDC have paying positions but so many people involved are going above and beyond and can't be thanked enough for their efforts 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

I'll be honest, most of the Michigan Finance grads I've met were the worst kind of insecure New York finance asshole. Every school has their highs and lows.

FIFY.

There is a pretty close correlation between assholes and prestige of MBA programs. In my slice of the energy spectrum, non-technical backgrounds go a pretty good job of staying in their lanes.

I’ve worked with good and bad across all disciplines. Assholes don’t change, they just learn how to behave, some of the time.

All the Michigan people I know I met when we were all in technical positions and migrated to the commercial side. Smarts and playing well with others were the staples.

5 hours ago, Atticus said:

48-0 KSU over OkSt

Howard went for 4 TDs. Muhammad didn't look great out there at all.

Wow, that's brutal.  I thought he looked good against us, but then I remember Worthy came in dinged up and  think got jurt again during the game.

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’s likely to continue to say he is doing almost all of it and it isn’t sustainable.  That will be the case into perpetuity. It was true last year and the year before in terms of capital contributed, but it’s not true this year and it won’t be in the future. None of this happens without him and he deserves a ton of credit, to be certain.

That’s if we’re talking about the same person and you’re welcome to DM me on it. There is only one guy that can credibly say that kind of stuff and, like I said and posted previously, the original goal of making this sustainable is now within sight.

I have now run into a ton of instances in which someone is claiming to be a driver of Texas NIL. I’ve listened to them talk and winced. If someone is giving something to TOF and/or Burnt Ends and programs like it, they are doing their part and we should all be grateful. That said, anyone that claims they’re leading it has pumped in 7 figures or they’ve helped invent the shit and/or run one of the programs or they are flatly full of shit.

There are some folks out there that have put in small amounts and like to tell people they’ve been running shit. Goes with the territory of this kind of thing. There are some big LHF donors, legitimate BMD, that have dropped in really low contributions to TOF who have then turned around and told people they’re running the shit. 

On two occasions in person at random events - one was a kid’s sporting event and one was at an elementary school function - I have witnessed two different guys pontificate about how they’re handling NIL and football at Texas. In both scenarios, I’ve gone full Arnold Schwarzenegger/Bill Paxton True Lies fantasy death punch in my head and then said nothing, shaken my head, and meandered to less idiotic spaces for breathing.  I really think that kind of silliness is hurting the continual drive for new capital and growth. I feel that way for two reasons:

1) It implies that everything is well in hand. It isn’t. We’re heading there, but there is always a steep hill in front of us and creating that notion that it’s all covered by loudmouthed guy at the ball field isn’t helping. 

2) The kind of guy doing that isn’t going to be the kind of guy that inspires others to participate anyway. “Yeah, I’m following the blowhard. Where do I sign?”

It’s not nice of you to talk about me like this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

21 hours ago, PTINS said:

you jest ...

Aw shit, he really is in hydraulics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The internet also consistently tells me there are hot moms within 3 miles that want to have no strings attached sex with me RIGHT NOW.

That's, uh, based on your browsing behavior there champ. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Any Michigan portal news for us? I can’t wade through the garbage. 

Rumors on Reddit that their DT/Grahm was visiting but not a peep from any Texas insider/9.95'er. So it's actually happening or so I chose to believe.

Then I think, no, he wouldn't be on campus in time to start classes, as they already started, etc. Yup, he's visiting for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2024 Transfer Thread - Brooks Was Here. So Was Red.