Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If y’all are done arguing with a brick wall, this morning was nice, though not the arctic front it was made out to be. 75 in my neighborhood, but almost no breeze. Still, I’ll take it. 

IMG_7693.jpeg

IMG_7695.jpeg

that was your big hike?  A golf course and myriad streets of Hyde Park/Campus North?  I have a friend, today would have been his whole life. 

10 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Welcome to the party pal.

I'm upper Lake Austin, water is 68. Soak in that after the gym for 30 min then feel amazing enough that yard work at 730 pm is fine. I do a lot of my cardio on the lake as well. Swim, various paddle techniques. Save running and bikes for fairer weather when I can.

The more this lasts, the closer I am to soaking at Jessica Hollis and turning into a popsicle.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I hope it's a nice sweater, because your body will found dead in it around an hour from now.  Decent Dawn, but clouds are burning off and Lawn is moaning.  Or Fawn is moaning.  Whatever South Austin's Mom's name is.  

I used to touch my Lawn this way.

• Haha 1

First morning in months that I walked out of the gym and my glasses didn't fog up so bad I couldn't see. Got home and drank my coffee out on the back porch and enjoyed this tiny window of sanity.

We'll be right back to punishment the next several days. Forecast making it look like Sunday may end up being the hottest day of the entire year in Houston. Current forecast high of 105.

Oh, and yesterday's 58% chance of rain on 8/22 is now down to 24%. So, that's fun.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It will be 110 in Arlington Friday. I am praying for both my AC compressor and our grid.

My son called yesterday as he and wife and kids are coming down for both Metallica shows. He has an extra ticket for the Friday show and invited me. That’s cool. “Dad half the crowd are old guys like you “. I would rather stay home with the granddaughters. Jerry you better have that AC blasting and pull the curtains on the west side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texasdago said:

Needs extra random wires, Mexico Style.  Sniffle sniffle Isla...

image.thumb.png.6a43f9a1adcd0cc881e915ef4ec3d92d.png

The overhead powerlines are one of the prime "third world tipoffs."  When we went to Armenia, I commented about how it reminded me of a Russian Mexico.  A couple years later, we land at CDMX, and on the ride into town, with random ass wires across all the roads, the boy turned to me and said "Ohhhh.  Now I get it."

India seems to be the world champion in that respect, though:

wire-delhi--4_3398437k.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The overhead powerlines are one of the prime "third world tipoffs."  When we went to Armenia, I commented about how it reminded me of a Russian Mexico.  A couple years later, we land at CDMX, and on the ride into town, with random ass wires across all the roads, the boy turned to me and said "Ohhhh.  Now I get it."

Yeah, got some great spiderweb pics from CDMX but wasn't going to dig that one up.

On 8/15/2023 at 9:53 AM, Brisketexan said:

A lot of folks forget that a 2010 tropical storm saved our ass in that drought (a drought that ran from 2010-2011 - it wasn't just 2011).  Hermine came through and dropped like 8-9 inches over Centex, a good chunk of which went into our lakes. 

A good chunk of it also went into the first floor of my house.  $20,000 later, I had new hardwood floors.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Needs extra random wires, Mexico Style.  Sniffle sniffle Isla...

image.thumb.png.6a43f9a1adcd0cc881e915ef4ec3d92d.png

If you make a left up there is that where North Garden is or is that not the dive shop I'm thinking of at the end of the street?

Also the 10 day is now officially bullshit. Hot on August 16th and 17th is fine, whatever but damn it next Friday the 25th is still showing fucking 105 when the average high has dropped to 95 by then. I'm not even asking for 95, just give me 100 or 99, come on...

Yep, as mentioned last week this is the worst part of the Blastfurnace.  Relief is always "ten days away", but it never comes.

Early last week it was going to be the 21st.  Then it shifted to the 23rd.  Yesterday it moved to the 28th.  Now I see nothing but 100+ through the 30th.

Fuck those mother fuckers.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

image.jpeg

September is actually a good benchmark for me, because I'm a dove hunter.  Opener here is September 1. It's always hot as hell.  The question is, when is the first day that the temp has dropped enough where your afternoon hunt isn't hellish.  I've been hunting in Centex for well over 25 years.

It used to be that the first decent day was usually around Sept 15th.  Over the last 10 years, that became more like Sept 20th.  In recent years, more like Sept 23-25th.  Just a steady, incremental increase in the stretch of shitty hot days.

Didn't used to catch snook (warmer water fish) off the Freeport jetties.  Now I do (although the 2021 freeze sent many such warmwater species reeling for a bit).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

the best part about mexico/border is the rebar sticking out of all the buildings so they can say the building isn't complete and avoid taxes.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

September is actually a good benchmark for me, because I'm a dove hunter.  Opener here is September 1. It's always hot as hell.  The question is, when is the first day that the temp has dropped enough where your afternoon hunt isn't hellish.  I've been hunting in Centex for well over 25 years.

It used to be that the first decent day was usually around Sept 15th.  Over the last 10 years, that became more like Sept 20th.  In recent years, more like Sept 23-25th.  Just a steady, incremental increase in the stretch of shitty hot days.

Didn't used to catch snook (warmer water fish) off the Freeport jetties.  Now I do (although the 2021 freeze sent many such warmwater species reeling for a bit).

One of the local weather guys says that September 13th is the day where the downhill temp slide typically ramps up. Obviously you can still have plenty of hot days after that, it just becomes less of the norm.

However, with how hot and dry things are right now, I’m not holding my breath.

9 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

One of the local weather guys says that September 13th is the day where the downhill temp slide typically ramps up. Obviously you can still have plenty of hot days after that, it just becomes less of the norm.

However, with how hot and dry things are right now, I’m not holding my breath.

SCW did a post years ago compiling the last 125 or so years of Houston weather records and the average day on which we get our first real front (what they call "Fall Day", defined as a low temp of 65 or less) is September 18th.

Over that span, Fall Day has come as early as 8/30 and as late as 10/13. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1