Blastfurnace 2023

Storm the Field

Gonna hit ~107 around 4:30 and stay above 100 until sundown at 8:00. Not gonna get below 90 until after midnight. Oh and looks like we get to do this exact same thing next Sunday too.

If this year is not just some miserably El Nino-centric anomaly and this is in any way what future years have in store, I can't do this shit for ~90 days every year. I'm packing the fuck up and leaving Texas. So long lifelong friends and family. Try and come visit sometime! 

Hell, if this Summer keeps on spitting out triple digits and worsening drought much past Labor Day Weekend, I'm gonna have to seriously think about escaping until daily highs at least drop to 95 or less. I'm running out of patience something serious.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, yoladu said:

August 20, 2023 | 3:40 pm

Austin Texas - 104

Death Valley NP - 64

Austin is 40 degrees hotter than Death Valley right now.

Well, there's an extremely uncommon weather event at the moment. More relevant is that once the hurricane passes and things go back to "normal" in Death Valley, it will be about the same temperature as Austin. 

Forecast highs at the Furnace Creek Visitor's Center (the place where tourists go take photos next to the temperature gauge) for the rest of August is ~104 every day. That's more or less indistinguishable from the Austin forecast, if not a few degrees cooler actually. The hottest place in the United States, a literal desert 190 feet below sea level, will be hard to tell apart from most of Texas.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Well, there's an extremely uncommon weather event at the moment. More relevant is that once the hurricane passes and things go back to "normal" in Death Valley, it will be about the same temperature as Austin. 

Forecast highs at the Furnace Creek Visitor's Center (the place where tourists go take photos next to the temperature gauge) for the rest of August is ~104 every day. That's more or less indistinguishable from the Austin forecast, if not a few degrees cooler actually. The hottest place in the United States, a literal desert 190 feet below sea level, will be hard to tell apart from most of Texas.

Just-sayin-tho GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

So which is more fucked up---Austin being 40 degrees hotter  than Death Valley?  Or Death Valley is mild right now because a fucking seaborne hurricane is about to pound a desert that's below sea level; that totally normal thing that happens, once every three world wars.  

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey more ERCOT texts saying to conserve.  Awesome.  

From 7pm to 10pm. 
Kinda weird…. Like they knew something big was going to be switched on or off.

At 6:55 the Ercot website said the grid was operating with reserves of 6,214 MW. 
At 7:05 it was down to 5,825 MW.

Did all the Tesla owners start plugging in at the same time?

edited to add: now it’s back up to 6,255 MW at 7:15 and gage shows yellow, when it was green at 6:55. Wtf?

Edited by Armybrat

Just now, Armybrat said:

From 7pm to 10pm. 

At 6:55 the Ercot website said the grid was operating with reserves of 6,214 MW. 

Well you see Armybrat, when one Tesla owner loves another Tesla owner, the one with the extended cap plug in places it over the one with the shorter cap plug.  I believe it's called 'Docking.' 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

From 7pm to 10pm. 

edited to add: now it’s back up to 6,255 MW at 7:15 and gage shows yellow, when it was green at 6:55. Wtf?

From what I have seen the gauge always shows yellow no matter the number if they have put out a voluntary conserve notice

• Hook 'Em 1

Probably heat related, but regardless, not good for the surrounding brush, big fertilizer plant in Bartlett burned down.  My mom is in the nursing home there but luckily on the north end of town, this is on the south end just as you come into town from Granger...  @Hornius Emeritus/Traces, hope you are well also. 

b1.JPG

b1a.JPG

b2.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Yesterday around 5 p.m., the center of Texas was the hottest spot on the planet. 

How is this even possible when the day is almost an hour shorter than it was about a month ago? 

Meanwhile, ignorant older relatives of mine continue to post things like “WE’VE HAD 30 DAYS OF TRIPLE DIGITS BUT IN 2011 WE HAD 60 AND EVEN MORE IN 1980 - GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX!!!111”
My Dad made a similar comment just yesterday. They can't help themselves. Nothing to see folks. It's always hot in Texas.

Seems like we might as well set up the placeholder "Blastfurnace 2024" thread soon.

Also....what do y'all think the over/under date is on our last 100 degree day this year?  I'm pitching October 12th.

Also, what do y'all think the over/under date is for our last 90+ degree day this year?  I'm thinking November 25th (Saturday after T-giving).  We'll have some cool downs before then, but in between, we'll spike back up.

This "new normal" shit just fucking sucks.  My weekends fucking suck, because I can only do shit outside for a couple of hours each day.  Otherwise, I have to plan indoor tasks and activities.  At least when CFB starts back up, I'll be able to spend a few hours on Saturdays watching football.   I really am starting to understand the dead-of-winter cabin fever people in goddamned Saskatchewan feel when it's gray, snowy, and ass-freezing below zero cold for 90 days straight, so they really can only go out if it's a special purpose and they're fully geared up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yesterday around 5 p.m., the center of Texas was the hottest spot on the planet. 

How is this even possible when the day is almost an hour shorter than it was about a month ago? 

Do you have any idea how much concrete has been poured in Central Texas in the last 30 days?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

So we did a kayak trip, on the normal stretch of river on the SanMo beginning of July. River was low. Wife's boat that she has had to never drag during other low water years, had to be dragged through a few low spots. Gauge at put in that day was at 80cfs.

Just looked this morning, as we were debating another trip. Checked gauge, and it's 62.9cfs. Previous historical low at 74. Holy shit.

We are fucked. (and this means you too you damned lizard @InkaUtexas).

I grew up out in West Texas, on the edge of divide country, and my grandfather always wished/hoped for hurricanes to end droughts. I married into a family from Houston, and have been told many times it is not cool to "root" for hurricanes, but damn we need a few hurricanes to fix our shit here in CenTex. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Seems like we might as well set up the placeholder "Blastfurnace 2024" thread soon.

Also....what do y'all think the over/under date is on our last 100 degree day this year?  I'm pitching October 12th.

Also, what do y'all think the over/under date is for our last 90+ degree day this year?  I'm thinking November 25th (Saturday after T-giving).  We'll have some cool downs before then, but in between, we'll spike back up.

This "new normal" shit just fucking sucks.  My weekends fucking suck, because I can only do shit outside for a couple of hours each day.  Otherwise, I have to plan indoor tasks and activities.  At least when CFB starts back up, I'll be able to spend a few hours on Saturdays watching football.   I really am starting to understand the dead-of-winter cabin fever people in goddamned Saskatchewan feel when it's gray, snowy, and ass-freezing below zero cold for 90 days straight, so they really can only go out if it's a special purpose and they're fully geared up.

I'll be optimistic and say 9/14, however I think we'll be seeing high 90s well into October.