Tourist Trip to Titanic Terribly Turns Tragic

MrBig

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12232597/Predatory-Titan-sub-boss-Stockton-Rush-hunting-rich-clients-endorse-doomed-expedition.html

Probably a good thing that Stockton was on board for the disaster because otherwise, I think he was going to be turbo-fucked by last week's events.

image.png.1aabf6fa0e7ba87a6ec6210635d74eec.pngimage.png.7b08b35e672415b297779b7718f660d9.png

Oceangate CEO Stockton Rush was on a 'predatory' mission to find wealthy clients to endorse his submersible's deep sea trips to the Titanic, industry leaders claimed last night.

Mr Rush perished on board the Titan last Sunday along with his four passengers when the vessel imploded while en route to the Atlantic seabed.

Insiders say the OceanGate boss was having difficulty finding rich customers to make the operation profitable. He also used his powers of persuasion to stop clients being steered away on safety grounds by respected figures within the exploration community, the Times reports.

Mr Lahey has experience at all levels in the manufacturing of deep sea vessels and was a close friend of Mr Rush's second mate Paul-Henri 'PH' Nargeolet, 73, a skilled mariner and Titanic expert.

Mr Lahey said: 'It's terribly sad that PH's life ended that way but PH knew the risks. I told him in very candid terms why he shouldn't be out there. He understood. I believe PH thought in some way that by being out there he could help these guys avoid a tragedy but instead he ended up in the middle of one.

'I told PH that going out there in some way sanctioned this operation. I said: "You're becoming an ambassador for this thing; people look at you and your record and the life you lead and things you've done, which are extraordinary, and in some way you are legitimising what [Oceangate] are doing."'

Mr Rush, a self-style innovator, never sought certification or classification for his vessel. He insisted regulators could not keep up with his technology.

His combination of a cylindrical carbon fibre hull with titanium end caps was deemed by industry experts as a dangerous design flaw and it has been suggested as the likely cause of the Titan's implosion.

Mr Lahey, who has worked for 43 years in the field and whose Titan subs featured in the BBC's Blue Planet, added: 'At the very time this monstrosity was being made, I was building the most capable subs of our age.'

A father and son who gave up their two tickets on the doomed Titan submersible say the OceanGate CEO flew on an 'experimental' plane to convince them to buy tickets.

Financier Jay Bloom had turned down tickets aboard the submersible for him and his son Sean after fearing they wouldn't survive the trip.

Speaking to NewsNation, Mr Bloom said that concerns had been raised after Mr Rush flew to Las Vegas to convince him aboard an 'experimental plane'.

Mr Bloom said: 'It was very concerning. The major red flag for my son was when Stockton came to see me in Las Vegas in March.

Father who gave up seats on Titan sub speaks about the 'red flags'

The Titan submersible imploded last week with five men on board 

'He said he was flying in in a two seater experimental plane that he built so he was coming to Las Vegas on an experimental plane that he built to take me on an experimental sub that he built to take me to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.' 

Mr Bloom continued: 'It's kind of surreal. Every time I see a picture of the people who lost their lives on this tragic event.

'I look at the picture of the father and son who replaced my son and myself and think how easily but for the grace of God that could have been our picture on the news.

'When Stockton first approached me with the idea it sounded very sexy, very exciting, a real bucket list kind of item.

'My son is a big fan of the Titanic, so I thought it would be great for us to do something together. The allure of the proposition is so compelling.

'My son talked to his friend and they voiced concerns, about the vessel, the marine life, some of the materials that were used in the construction.'

The US Coast Guard is currently investigating the cause of the undersea implosion of the Titan submersible and has not ruled out finding human remains - while also hinting that the probe could lead to criminal charges.

Captain Jason Neubauer, who is chairing the US Coast Guard investigation, made the comments as the search and rescue aspects of the response came to an end. 

British adventurer Hamish Harding and father and son Shahzada and Suleman Dawood were killed on board the submersible, alongside Stockton Rush and French national Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

Salvage operations are continuing and investigators have mapped the accident site, Cpt Neubauer told a press conference in Boston on Sunday. 

The Coast Guard opened what it calls a Marine Board of Investigation (MBI) on Friday, he said, and is working with the FBI to recover evidence.

Cpt Neubauer said the convening of an MBI is the highest level of inquiry conducted by the US Coast Guard. It is unclear how long it will take. The US Coast Guard said it does not charge for search and rescue operations.

This includes a salvage operation at the debris site on the seabed about 1,600 feet (488 metres) from the bow of the Titanic wreck, about 2-1/2 miles (4 km) below the surface.

The findings will be shared with the International Maritime Organization and other groups 'to help improve the safety framework for submersible operations worldwide,' Cpt Neubauer said.

Hamish Harding's cousin Kathleen Cosnett wrote: 'It's quite poignant that tomorrow would have been his birthday. His father died in June and my father died in June too'

He said the Coast Guard is in touch with the families of the five people killed, and that investigators are 'taking all precautions on site if we are to encounter any human remains.'

Yesterday the sons of British billionaire Hamish Harding  paid tribute to the 'best father' who they say 'constantly sought to be the best man he could be'.

Rear Admiral John Mauger, of the First Coast Guard District, said: 'The MBI is also responsible for accountability aspects of the incident and it can make recommendations to the proper authorities to pursue civil or criminal sanctions as necessary.'

The US Coast Guard said on Thursday that all five people aboard the submersible had died after the vessel suffered a 'catastrophic implosion.' 

One of Mr Harding's sons, who was not named on the statement issued through Action Aviation, has hailed the billionaire for being a 'tenacious, hard working businessman' and for having 'inspired me more than anyone will ever know'.

The adventurer and his wife Linda have two sons, Rory and Giles. Mr Harding is also the stepfather to her two children from a previous relationship, Laurena and Brian.

• Rage+1 1

54 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Christ people give it a rest - this thread has lasted to long; longer than the dive, longer than the search. We all should just be waiting around for the next great castasto-mystery, while loading our memes

Amen! Not to mention that lives were lost in this tragedy. I cant believe people would sink to such depths for a cheap laugh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/26/2023 at 10:01 AM, Wally Fairway said:

We all should just be waiting around for the next great castasto-mystery, while loading our memes

How about the Great Mopac Motor Mystery

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-fire-vehicle-flips-into-ditch-on-south-mopac-person-taken-to-hospital/

One person was taken to the hospital after a vehicle flipped over into a ditch on MoPac Expressway in south Austin Tuesday, the Austin Fire Department said on Twitter.

At approximately 2:40 p.m., AFD responded to the vehicle rescue at 4500-4800 MoPac Expressway and said one patient was being extricated.

Vehicle-in-ditch-on-MoPac.jpg?w=1280&h=7

I have a lot of questions about this accident.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

The fact that the porthole window is missing from the one end cap is interesting, but I don't think it means the window was the cause of the implosion.  If the carbon fiber tube failed first, especially at the opposite end, the implosion could have suddenly compressed the air to a high enough  pressure (higher than the water) to punch the window out.  The window wasn't designed for positive pressure.  Air, and possibly passengers, could have been extruded out the hole.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The fact that the porthole window is missing from the one end cap is interesting, but I don't think it means the window was the cause of the implosion.  If the carbon fiber tube failed first, especially at the opposite end, the implosion could have suddenly compressed the air to a high enough  pressure (higher than the water) to punch the window out.  The window wasn't designed for positive pressure.  Air, and possibly passengers, could have been extruded out the hole.  

They did claim there was evidence of human remains on the seabed/in the wreckage they brought up, but they didn't elaborate.

7 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

South Austins mom

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Has anyone checked her vagina to see if the submersible is there?

23 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Human soup not included.

The human soup would most definitely be included.

4 hours ago, HonkeyVape said:

Anyone seen a good, short, primer video of professionals narrating how this happened, like a youtube video? Curious about the physics of the implosion.

I believe what you're looking for is on TicTok. It's the preferred certified reference material.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

ST. JOHN’S, CANADA—After collecting debris from the ocean floor and examining it at a nearby pier, the U.S. Coast Guard reported Thursday it had found horse remains within the wreckage of the Titan submersible. “In our excavation of this catastrophic implosion, we have recovered both human and equine tissues, including the crushed carcass of a thoroughbred stallion that appears to have traveled aboard the Titan vessel,” said Coast Guard Capt. Stan Partridge, whose remarks led to feverish online speculation about whether a 1,200-pound horse could have contributed to what went wrong with the sub during its doomed descent. “It wasn’t just a single horse either, but several, perhaps an entire herd. It’s unclear whether the horses were passengers, some kind of entertainment, or a team of draft horses used to pull the submersible during its 2.5-mile journey to the bottom of the sea.” At press time, sources reported that the remains could simply be horsehide that was used in the construction of the Titan as a cheaper alternative to titanium.

https://www.theonion.com/horse-remains-recovered-from-titan-sub-wreckage-1850591865

Lately they've been pretty on the ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

15 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Compressor for the dry pipe system broke.  Had to rig up a jumper.  Ive got 3 dis similar metals.  I should look into building submersibles next.

PXL_20230629_075453539.jpg

You Sir, and in big danger of being kidnapped and taken to Russia in order to teach the emerging technology of plumbing.  You need to go into hiding immediately.  What's wrong with you showing off skills like that.  

15 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Compressor for the dry pipe system broke.  Had to rig up a jumper.  Ive got 3 dis similar metals.  I should look into building submersibles next.

PXL_20230629_075453539.jpg

Were you shitting in a bucket whilst laying pipe? 

• Haha 2

On 6/19/2023 at 11:08 AM, MrBig said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-submarine-missing-rescue-mission-underway-newfoundland-canada/

Submarine on expedition to Titanic wreck goes missing, "search and rescue operation" underway

Updated on: June 19, 2023 / 11:47 AM

By Emmet Lyons, Tucker Reals

A search and rescue mission was underway Monday morning for a submarine that went missing in the North Atlantic on an expedition to explore the wreckage of the Titanic.  Lt. Jordan Hart of the U.S. Coast Guard in Boston told CBS News that personnel were "currently undergoing a search and rescue operation" when asked about the rescue efforts off the coast of Newfoundland. 

OceanGate Expeditions, a company that deploys manned submersibles for deep sea expeditions, confirmed in a statement that its sub was the subject of the rescue operation, adding that it was "exploring and mobilizing all options to bring the crew back safely."

The company did not say how many people were on board the missing vessel or whether any of them were paying tourists, whom it does take as passengers on its expeditions.

"Our entire focus is on the crewmembers in the submersible and their families," said OceanGate, adding that it was "deeply thankful for the extensive assistance we have received from several government agencies and deep sea companies in our efforts to reestablish contact with the submersible." 

A map shows the point where the RMS Titanic sank in the North Atlantic, on April 15, 1912, about 380 miles southeast of the Newfoundland, Canada coast and some 1,300 miles east of its destination in New York City. Getty/iStockphoto

OceanGate recently said on its website and social media feeds that an expedition to the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, which lies about 400 miles southeast of the Newfoundland coast, was "underway." 

Contacted by CBS News, the Canadian Coast Guard said the rescue operation was being managed by the Boston Regional Coordination Center, and a map showing jurisdictions for the various coastal search and rescue agencies off the North American coast shows the location of the Titanic wreck within the Boston center's area of responsibility.  

Earlier this month, OceanGate said on Twitter that it was using satellite company Starlink to help maintain communications with its expedition to the Titanic.

"Despite being in the middle of the North Atlantic, we have the internet connection we need to make our Titanic dive operations a success — thank you Starlink," the tweet said. The company's website advertises seven-night voyages to see the Titanic wreckage priced at $250,000.

The company last tweeted about the Titanic expedition on June 15.

A visit to RMS Titanic

OceanGate's submersible, The Titan, is the only five-person sub in the world capable of reaching the Titanic wreck, which sits 2.4 miles below the sea surface. CBS News "Sunday Mornings" correspondent David Pogue joined the crew of the vessel, along with a small group of intrepid tourists, for a journey to see the world's most famous shipwreck last year.  

As he got situated in the vessel, which he said had about as much room inside as a minivan, Pogue said he "couldn't help noticing how many pieces of this sub seemed improvised, with off-the-shelf components," including a video game controller that was used to pilot the sub.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

T7 to the topic...making it T-10

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Shocking that that held up better than the carbon fiber. 

The fact that they were just bolted on suggests to me, the nonexpert, that they popped off like a cork in a Champagne bottle and that the bolts were just sheered off during the implosion.

I do admit, going back to the last page about the SM influencer that was on the sub a few weeks prior:

They show them throwing the docking line to the sub platform, and the line ball hits the top of the sub... I'd be curious how well that CF shell was protected from impact.  Stupid unnecessary impacts like that to the shell over time could cause issues in the shell which those defects could be the cause of something stupid like this.

Also, really bugs me that there are people who are ABSOLUTELY passionate about this, and would spend their life savings on joining a crew to see such things, and then there's some 20-something that just plops down a blank check from his social media funds to go take a trip for likes and subscriptions.  Kid probably has no idea who James Cameron is. 

1 minute ago, PvilleStang said:

I'd be curious how well that CF shell was protected from impact.  Stupid unnecessary impacts like that to the shell over time could cause issues in the shell which those defects could be the cause of something stupid like this.

At some point, I read it had a Rhino liner coating.