The Preseason Polls are F'n Stupid, But Here We Are Thread

TrashMaster G

If Texas can hold it together and if USC could knock off both Washington/Oregon, Texas is in.
If USC or whoever beats only one of Washington/Oregon it gets shaky because the PAC 2 is good this year. Michigan/OSU, Georgia, Fl St, Texas/Washington/Oregon. 

lol. USC isn’t winning any of their remaining games.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

As much as we need Texas and Bama to keep winning we kind of need to hold our nose and think same for OU. They are the only possible opponent in the champ game with one overall loss. Not to mention they have the name that gets more recognition.

Then we need to murder the bastards.

image.gif.06622aa656b9b9aab80b3b5fef8f4032.gif

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

As much as we need Texas and Bama to keep winning we kind of need to hold our nose and think same for OU. They are the only possible opponent in the champ game with one overall loss. Not to mention they have the name that gets more recognition.

I’m not gonna actively root for them to lose but I’ll be happy af if they do 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Stanford in 2000. And we promptly lost. Mack Brown had Jerry Scarborough send out a letter to his subscribers that week admonishing the fans for not being grateful for having Mack Brown. This was after a lot of disgruntlement in the stands, among reporters and online after a lackluster opener against North Texas or Rice. He gave a vague threat to leave after the season if people didn’t appreciate him. That letter came out after I’d written the mudhole and we were all like “ohhhhhhhh fuck!”. 

I’m like 19-9 for them and they’re usually only for big or scary matchups.  But people fret that they’re a curse. So I can’t lose, really. But yeah, sentiments on here are getting laughable. 

Now that’s a blast from the past

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I remember when a lot of people were saying this in 2008 around this time. I mean almost to the day. I remember how smart and good they felt for doing that by season’s end. Holy fuck, man. 

Why were people saying that around this time in 2008?  We hadn't lost to Tech yet and when that happened there were 3 weeks left in the season.  Even once that happened nobody would have wanted OU to keep winning with a North/South designed Big 12 Championship game. Them losing but then beating Tech would have been the easiest path there so not sure I follow anything there but the hyper emotional Longhorn fan in you just wanting OU to lose all the time (which I get and generally concur with)

Edited by Surly Bevo

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Why were people saying that around this time in 2008?  We hadn't lost to Tech yet and when that happened there were 3 weeks left in the season.  Even once that happened nobody would have wanted OU to keep winning with a North/South designed Big 12 Championship game. Them losing but then beating Tech would have been the easiest path there so not sure I follow anything there but the hyper emotional Longhorn fan in you just wanting OU to lose all the time (which I get and generally concur with)

I’m not interested in debating this. If you don’t remember people saying the same exact shit in 2008 it’s either because you were one of them and blacked it out or you’re too young to remember it. This is what happened.  It is pure fucking idiocy to root for OU. Good luck doing it. The rest of us with a clue think you are a fucking idiot doing it. So have at it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not interested in debating this. If you don’t remember people saying the same exact shit in 2008 it’s either because you were one of them and blacked it out or you’re too young to remember it. This is what happened.  It is pure fucking idiocy to root for OU. Good luck doing it. The rest of us with a clue think you are a fucking idiot doing it. So have at it. 

If you don't want to debate something don't fucking respond and open the damn debate.  I'm old enough to have a kid that is a Jr at Texas and sure as shit didn't want OU representing the South in 2008. I realized once we lost to Tech the easiest non BCS fuckery path to that was both of them taking a loss, us being the South representative and winning the Big 12.  We would have been 2 in the end in AP and Harris.  Bama/Florida were going to give one or the other a fatal last week of the season SEC Champ game loss.  USC was hanging around in what was an average Pac  at the time and were never much of a true threat. Yea there would have been probably been some BCS computer hit based on SOS, but wasn't overcoming a 2 ranking in the other components.  

As to rooting for them, I don't think prefacing it with "hold our nose" means you put on crimson and cream and play Boomer Sooner.  It just means on paper if that is what happens and we do beat them it's probably the easiest way to flank all the other teeth gnashing everybody is doing around all the other beauty contest scenarios.  Besides until they lost unexpectedly to Kansas that is what this entire board was looking to do....face an undefeated OU again and get revenge, so not like I am saying anything this board hasn't been on about since around 2:45pm on October 7th.  

But yes thank you for confirming that OU sucks, we hate OU blah blah blah.  Fuck em, let em win and then let's crush their souls.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

32 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

If Texas is the Bug XII champ, there is a 0% chance the committee leaves them out. Same of you guys need for your balls to drop soon.

This is the dumbest take on the whole thread.  Imagine:

1. Undefeated UGA

2. Undefeated UM/tOSU

3. Undefeated F$U

4. Undefeated UW

5. 1-loss Texas

You seriously think we'd get in?  That's fucking lunacy. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

1. Undefeated UGA

2. Undefeated UM/tOSU

3. Undefeated F$U

4. Undefeated UW

5. 1-loss Texas

Well he is from Florida. 

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

1. Undefeated UGA

2. Undefeated UM/tOSU

3. Undefeated F$U

4. Undefeated UW

5. 1-loss Texas

Imagine there being 4 undefeated teams at the end of the season. That would be insane. Has that ever happened? 

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

1. Undefeated UGA

2. Undefeated UM/tOSU

3. Undefeated F$U

4. Undefeated UW

5. 1-loss Texas

I think it's likelier that all of those teams lose than 4 go undefeated. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine there being 4 undefeated teams at the end of the season. That would be insane. Has that ever happened? 

3 is the most I can remember.  An undefeated Auburn got the shaft in 2004 IIRC.  That was the BCS and not the CFP, but that’s the only time I can remember a legit undefeated contender left out.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

https://saturdayblitz.com/2021/11/07/smq-difficult-finish-college-football-season-undefeated/

Yeah not since at least 1978. 2004 had 3 and seems to be a huge outlier. 4 has likely never happened and never will. 

Murphy’s law. Given our luck the last decade plus I can absolutely see it happening for the first time the last year of the 4 team playoff and the year Texas finally puts it all together and finishes 12-1 with a conference championship their last year in the Big12. Not saying this is how any of it will play out but again, Murphy’s law.

10 minutes ago, immamac said:

It doesn't matter.  IF it happens -- which is "possible" -- the Big 12 Champ is out.  No conditions were placed on the idiotic claim that Texas is automatic as conference champion.

You people (YOU PEOPLE) need to sharpen your fucking reading comprehension skills and pay attention to the counterarguments.  There is absolutely a roadmap to Texas getting excluded, even as Big 12 champions.  That was my only point.  

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Hopefully we can win out. Losing to OU was costly. Furk. 

Having a serviceable OL that can move forward one yard on these goal line situations OR having plays to get to the edge , around the impotent middle of the OL would help. Am sure Sark is taking notes from this message board.

I’m all for OU losing every game but their loss is going to make the race for best one loss team - if we can hang on and win out - a tough one. Oregon is already likely ahead of us now.   

but the reason to want OU to lose every time is because there are no guarantees Texas wins. You gotta want them out every time. 

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

IMG_6165.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

1. Undefeated UGA

2. Undefeated UM/tOSU

3. Undefeated F$U

4. Undefeated UW

5. 1-loss Texas

I’ll be impressed if UW goes undefeated. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

3 is the most I can remember.  An undefeated Auburn got the shaft in 2004 IIRC.  That was the BCS and not the CFP, but that’s the only time I can remember a legit undefeated contender left out.

I do wonder if that was the turning point to the SEC powers that be to change their scheduling in order to make sure their teams never suffered another outcome like that. Granted that Auburn team would have been boat raced by both USC and OU that season. Hell, Texas and California likely beat the shit out of them as well.

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I do wonder if that was the turning point to the SEC powers that be to change their scheduling in order to make sure their teams never suffered another outcome like that. Granted that Auburn team would have been boat raced by both USC and OU that season. Hell, Texas and California likely beat the shit out of them as well.

USC would’ve fucked up anyone that year.  Our deathstar was only about 80% complete at that point.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

My favorite thing on message boards is when the caterwauling vaginas tremble in fear because message board posters are discussing long term possibilities.

"OH MY GOD YOU GUYS LET'S FOCUS ON THE NEXT OPPONENT PLEASE ONE GAME AT A TIME"

Gentlemen, neither you nor the other posters on this board are that important. What we talk about has jack shit to do with the team's performance. Shut the fuck up about people discussing the football season on a football season discussion board.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoKimP0zX7KmzOuFMuIThxTmyqpyLs9oNaVA&usqp=CAU

the 'good' thing about texas' loss is it was a close one in neutral field at the mid point of the season.

UM vs OSU is the last regular season game.  (they also have Penn State coming up)

UW is facing SC, Utah, OrSU in consecutive games, and closes out with a rivalry game vs Wazzu

recency bias is going against all these teams.... but it dont mean shit if texas cant win out

• Like 1

It is more likely than not that we do not win out.  Now if we beat K State and get Quinn back soon, that changes and I think the odds are we do win out.

But the odds of there being 4 undefeated conference champs is probably around 3%.  It won't happen. It never does.  Especially in a year like this one when there aren't several dominant teams and all the conferences outside of the ACC look to have decent depth.

Just now, immamac said:

If FSU or Washington drop a game it's completely over for them on CFP if others win out. FSU has played a completely dogshit schedule, but they honestly look the most likely to win out. Michigan can drop PSU and beat OSU and still get in I think. 

They would need to score a point against Iowa in the CCG.

We had our chance to control our own destiny, we blew it

We still somewhat have control over our own destiny if we blow out teams and look good down the stretch, we blowing it

We likely losing at least one more game this season without Quinn, we gonna blow it

We arent making the playoffs, come to grips with that. the odds of us making the playoffs are like 10% with the way we playing right now

fuck this aggy shit of rooting for ou and bama… jesus guys

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, immamac said:

If FSU or Washington drop a game it's completely over for them on CFP if others win out. FSU has played a completely dogshit schedule, but they honestly look the most likely to win out. Michigan can drop PSU and beat OSU and still get in I think. 

Oregon is probably more likely to win out than Washington.  I think there is a >50% chance there will be 2 unbeatens out of MU/OSO, GA, and FSU.  Assuming that happens and we win out, it will be a 1 loss beauty contest for the remaining 2 spots.  Our resume would have us in the mix, but far from guaranteed.  We really need both Washington and Oregon to lose a game prior to CCG and we need Alabama to keep winning.  If Bama wins out and beats Georgia in CCG, it would be really hard to leave out a 1 loss Texas when Bama would certainly be in.  

34 minutes ago, immamac said:

Michigan is getting zero benefit of the doubt due to the scandal. One loss and their out IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1