The Blind Side 2: The search for more money

Evil Bill Obrien

The 14-page petition, filed in Shelby County, Tennessee, probate court, alleges that Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, who took Oher into their home as a high school student, never adopted him. Instead, less than three months after Oher turned 18 in 2004, the petition says, the couple tricked him into signing a document making them his conservators, which gave them legal authority to make business deals in his name.

The petition further alleges that the Tuohys used their power as conservators to strike a deal that paid them and their two birth children millions of dollars in royalties from an Oscar-winning film that earned more than $300 million, while Oher got nothing for a story "that would not have existed without him." In the years since, the Tuohys have continued calling the 37-year-old Oher their adopted son and have used that assertion to promote their foundation as well as Leigh Anne Tuohy's work as an author and motivational speaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

He just found out in February:

His lawyer unearthed a document in February. This seems to imply he knew he was getting hosed long before then:

"Mike's relationship with the Tuohy family started to decline when he discovered that he was portrayed in the movie as unintelligent," Stranch said. "Their relationship continued to deteriorate as he learned that he was the only member of the family not receiving royalty checks from the movie, and it was permanently fractured when he realized he wasn't adopted and a part of the family."

The movie came out 14 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

So he's not received any book or movie royalties? And he's effectively out of the family's will since he's not officially adopted?

Yeah, that should be easily verified and if true would be hard to overcome by the family. Of course he had just signed a $14M contract so could also see him not worrying about it at the time.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I should bang his wife. That'll teach him a lesson. 

George Costanza Good Job GIF

What a group of slime balls. It was always assumed that they only took him in to send him to Ole Miss but they also essentially stole his life story just like another Seinfeld character.

10 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

George Costanza Good Job GIF

What a group of slime balls. It was always assumed that they only took him in to send him to Ole Miss but they also essentially stole his life story just like another Seinfeld character.

PetermanWords.gif.3b1bea2bf08ef8b1aa2c29f8bef9b3fd.gif

Hey at least J. Peterman's stolen valor story was cheeky and fun, not cruel and tragic like this shit...

• Hook 'Em 2

I never got into it because the whole story sounded fake, or at least so embellished by Hollywood that the true story wasn't anything like what was portrayed. A "white savior" story in every sense. If they really tricked him and took all the profits, I hope the family is left broke and homeless themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Crazy scumbag move by this family if this turns out to be accurate.

Well, if he was indeed the subject of a conservatorship and not an adoption, those facts are pretty independently verifiable.

And, I suppose you can quibble a little bit about motivations, but the fact is, adoption involves no control of finances or personal atonomy once the minor adoptee achieves majority and a conservatorship is all about control of finances and/or personal autonomy.

So, this looks really fucking bad for the Tuohys.  And I don't just mean the optics.  It may be a whole other thing to prove that he was deceived by them, though, and didn't know what he was signing.  And the length of time that has passed likely is going to cause significant limitations problems.

It looks like their lawyer, Branan, may have kissed the donkey, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

If Lily Collins (who played the daughter in the movie) needs to be spanked because of this, I volunteer to be an agent of the court and deal out the punishment.

Mireya Acierto/FilmMagic

That face is god damn perfection, gents.

Edited by Davis Lane
  • Hook 'Em 2

Sandra Bullock is 59. That makes me sad.

She was a smoke show in the Blind Side and well deserving of the Oscar win. She’s retired from acting now, so it might be her only win.

Her kids are both adopted and black. She must have some interesting feelings about the film now. 

The Tuohys should have probably settled this out of court. It really tarnished their reputations. 

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

She was a smoke show in the Blind Side and well deserving of the Oscar win. She’s retired from acting now, so it might be her only win.

Her kids are both adopted and black. She must have some interesting feelings about the film now. 

The Tuohys should have probably settled this out of court. It really tarnished their reputations. 

The same year she won the Oscar, she also won a Razzie and showed up for both.  Props for that.....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I never got into it because the whole story sounded fake, or at least so embellished by Hollywood that the true story wasn't anything like what was portrayed. A "white savior" story in every sense. If they really tricked him and took all the profits, I hope the family is left broke and homeless themselves. 

I doubt they care or cared about the movie money either. They were wealthy then and continue to be extremely wealthy now (like 9 figures). Might explain the conservatorship vs adoption though.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

The movie was a syrupy Christian movie with football practice in it.  

Exactly why I've avoided it all these years.

3 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Crazy scumbag move by this family if this turns out to be accurate.

2 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

AmpleLinedCalf-size_restricted.gif

Wait, this ugly bitch was the one portrayed by Sandra Bullock, apparently as a total milf? Yeah, totally believable, lol. If I'm ever portrayed on film, I guess it should be Ryan Gossling, just give him black hair and darker skin, lol.

Edited by 'stache

43 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I doubt they care or cared about the movie money either. They were wealthy then and continue to be extremely wealthy now (like 9 figures). Might explain the conservatorship vs adoption though.

This idea that wealthy people figure they “have enough” and “don’t care about getting any more” doesn’t jibe with my (admittedly anecdotal) experience 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tough week for Sandy.  Lost her boyfriend to ALS, now this.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You would have thought his nfl agent would have just asked the question “how much you getting from the movie?” Unless his agent is also the Tuohy attorney. “Nothing?” Let me look into that for you.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/the-blind-side-michael-oher-petition-conservatorship-1235695772/