Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

This is a bad time in Rice football history. They have spent some money on facility upgrades, and it was badly needed.  They have a little bit of talent at wr. However, I don’t remember a time since the year Hatfield got canned that alumni support and community involvement has been this bad. I remember the last time they talked about folding up the program, and it was in a better place then than it is now. We are horrible, Texas will kill us convincing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

JT Daniels (im assuming?) will be starting against Texas in DKR for his third different team. 

Is Rice still running some I-formation and heavy TE sets under Bloomgren?

I'm hoping to see the defense keep them out of the endzone.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

7 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

All home games before October should be played at night.

Back in the proverbial day, 0U was almost always our first day game of the year, and kickoff time depended on where the World Series game was being played on that day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Betting games with such absurd spreads is even more of a crap shoot than standard betting.

Texas is up 45-3 after a few series of playing the starters in the third quarter. Texas starts working backups in liberally and Rice wins the remaining time 14-7. Final score 52-17. Texas dominates but does not cover.

In general I don’t see any reason to touch spreads in games like these unless you think the underdog is just way undervalued.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

35.5 seems light. 

I hope you're right and Texas wins by 36+ pts

With CFB changes of having a running clock on 1st downs until the last two minutes of each half, it makes sense for betting lines to adjust downward a little more...

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Betting games with such absurd spreads is even more of a crap shoot than standard betting.

Texas is up 45-3 after a few series of playing the starters in the third quarter. Texas starts working backups in liberally and Rice wins the remaining time 14-7. Final score 52-17. Texas dominates but does not cover.

In general I don’t see any reason to touch spreads in games like these unless you think the underdog is just way undervalued.

Back in 2005 MNC season, Texas beat Rice 51-10 and they probably did not cover. That was one of the worst games ever played by a Longhorn team compared to their potential and by far the slopiest and least entertaining game of the season.

Once you are a legit top 5 team, these early season tune ups are essentially meaningless.

3 hours ago, Da Fino said:

This is a bad time in Rice football history. They have spent some money on facility upgrades, and it was badly needed.  They have a little bit of talent at wr. However, I don’t remember a time since the year Hatfield got canned that alumni support and community involvement has been this bad. I remember the last time they talked about folding up the program, and it was in a better place then than it is now. We are horrible, Texas will kill us convincing. 

What kind of upgrades? Do you still have the wood benches in the stadium?

I think I still have splinters in my ass from the last time I was there.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Confuse Saban, announce at game time "Ewers not available", start Maalik, sub in Wright when score warrants. No comment on Ewers or Manning. 

Starting your pre-gaming a week out is a bold move, but I'm rooting for you to make it to kickoff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Smax said:

230 kick off.... wonder how many heat related incidents will happen in the stands. Ya I know debbie downer but seriously who the hell does this time schedule and why do they hate us

Heat is definitely a serious concern. I do not remember a worse summer than this one. I've been unable to go for years due to my health making me unable to tolerate heat for years, so take care and have a blast my friends!

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

A reminder of what Worthy can do when he's not helplessly trying to track long bombs

And today's pick from the long-running Texas-Rice poster war

rice-game-53-753x1024.jpg

IIRC Worthy said it wasn’t that big of a deal, ran that route all the time in practice, knew he would score.

27 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Heat is definitely a serious concern. I do not remember a worse summer than this one. I've been unable to go for years due to my health making me unable to tolerate heat for years, so take care and have a blast my friends!

2011 was worse. Triple digits and the whole state was on fire 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, BERT said:

2011 was worse. Triple digits and the whole state was on fire 

Maybe it's just the heats effect on me. However, I was working 6=12 hour days in 2011 with no problems.  Maybe it's the temperature variance from locale to locale. All I know is here at home this year it only takes about 40 minutes of exposure and I have a headache, nausea and vomiting, and honestly here at home we've never had this many ridiculous high Temps day after day.

Today at 11:50am, it was 111°.

Edited by SHOOTER12

Was looking back at some of the previous matchups against Rice and I completely forgot about the 2015 game following the Notre Dame debacle where Heard made his debut at QB. We were only 16-point favorites and won 42-28 and if I remember right we intercepted a pass in the endzone late that would have made it a one possession game. I do not miss those days.

• Rage+1 2

• immamac changed the title to Week 1 2023 - Rice @ Texas
  • immamac locked this topic