Gadsen Flag brewhaha in Colorado

bernorange

12 year old kid has Gadsen Flag patch on his backback.  Teacher and school kick him out saying the image is racist or some shit and disruptive.  Video goes viral on the internet and the school has to choke down a heaping of crow.  Kid apparently reads "The Tuttle Twins":  https://tuttletwins.com/

After being urged to respond to the news that a young student at a Colorado charter school was kicked out of class for having a Gadsden Flag patch on his backpack, Gov. Jared Polis, D-Colo., took to social media to defend the flag as a "proud symbol of the American revolution."

Conservatives on social media replied by urging the governor to do something about the school disciplining the student for displaying the famous "Don’t tread on me" flag.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/democratic-colorado-governor-calls-gadsden-flag-a-proud-symbol-of-revolution-in-response-to-viral-video/ar-AA1fX2Mt

• Drool 1

*brouhaha.

a charter school?  i don't know anything about colorado schools and whether or not the vanguard school is in the same vein as a charter school in texas but it hails itself as a school of choice.

seems like an overreaction to me.  despite that flag being symbolically misappropriated by lunatics (including unapologetically racist shitheads) in the last decade, it is not something that, in and of itself, should necessitate suspension of a student.  that's a fairly absurd position.

• Hook 'Em 3

shield-your-kids-1024x1024.png

One mom wrote us this: “I took my kids to the grocery store a few days after we read one of the Tuttle Twins books about free markets. We were walking down the chip aisle when my son pointed to the 18 kinds of potato chips and said Hey, that’s spontaneous order! I kid you not. My kids know economic ideas that I didn’t even understand until we read the book together. So awesome!”

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

24 minutes ago, bernorange said:

12 year old kid has Gadsen Flag patch on his backback.  Teacher and school kick him out saying the image is racist or some shit and disruptive.  Video goes viral on the internet and the school has to choke down a heaping of crow.  Kid apparently reads "The Tuttle Twins":  https://tuttletwins.com/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/democratic-colorado-governor-calls-gadsden-flag-a-proud-symbol-of-revolution-in-response-to-viral-video/ar-AA1fX2Mt

Was unaware of The Tuttle Twins until this post. Hit the link and saw this:

Screenshot2023-08-30at10_55_18AM.png.016a50bddf55fc578e059955613c8383.png

'Uncle Ben' eh -- I'm sure that has nothing to do with changing the logo/name of Uncle Ben's White Rice. Or am I doing what 'they' do?

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is the kind of confusion that happens when vile people misappropriate a symbol for their cause.  

100%.  Can't fucking stand what the magats have taken from the majority of the country, including the American flag and the words freedom and liberty.  Fucking cunts - every last one of them.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Mittens said:

100%.  Can't fucking stand what the magats have taken from the majority of the country, including the American flag and the words freedom and liberty.  Fucking cunts - every last one of them.

Ain't that the truth. Anytime I see an American flag on someone's clothing, usually monochrome and pointing down on a black, tan or olive green shirt, I know to steer very clear of that individual.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

One mom wrote us this: “I took my kids to the grocery store a few days after we read one of the Tuttle Twins books about free markets. We were walking down the chip aisle when my son pointed to the 18 kinds of potato chips and said Hey, that’s spontaneous order! I kid you not. My kids know economic ideas that I didn’t even understand until we read the book together. So awesome!”

These folks are so fucking put upon. How do they manage getting through the day without shielding their anti-social homeschool kids from... Marxism?

Truly inspirational.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Kid wears don't tread on me flag. School treads on kid. Sounds like the school was doing a pretty good job of teaching exactly what the flag means.

I wonder if he'll start carrying a gun to prevent people from treading on him.

Like the rebel flag that was resurrected in the 50s in response to the horror of black citizens having their rights mildly protected, the Gadsden flag has been co-opted by the same degenerates.

image.png.805ea46abda71365b7c3c488673f5319.png

Also from the Rebel Nation Website store:

image.png.af968d6387a0335e897a8c2827dfe0f7.png

From a truck convoy trying to show that the rebel flag is just about pride in Southern Culture (such as it is).

spacer.png

Lastly, here is a collection of the best people in the world displaying their patriotism through flags as they peacefully enter the Capitol back in January 2021.

image.png.e5bbd5efa765cfb7d311fc5c9aee2809.png

I'd be fine with that flag being banned in schools for the time being while it's clearly a strongly political statement. 

They are like cockroaches running around and ruining everything just by touching it.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is the kind of confusion that happens when vile people misappropriate a symbol for their cause.  

reminds me when I rode around western travis county (maga country) with a large US flag and a Biden Harris flag on the back of my f350.  maga peeps would waive without looking.  US flag ain't yours buddy, it's ours.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Tremayne said:

This was all bait so his stupid fucking parents could meet Hannity or whoever. And the school played right along. God this country sucks.

We're not far from some similar parents making their kid take a gun to school for social media clout.

6 minutes ago, Dick Tremayne said:

This was all bait so his stupid fucking parents could meet Hannity or whoever. And the school played right along. God this country sucks.

That's my take. That shitty book author, who "discovered the plight" or some shit, seems to have arranged all this shit.

Also, are we not going to comment that, at least by my take, that of course the OP came here ans basically agrees with the outrage and is a Tuttle Twin fan?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Everything's a grift. 

At this point I'm all for schools having uniforms and banning any and all political symbols. 

Me to. It's on my list along with Term Limits, laws against gerrymandering, laws re-forming campaign finance laws, re-implementing life before Citizens United, re-instuting Roe v. Wade, major gun reform laws, etc. You get the idea. 

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read it.

Not me. I just picked up a bunch of Tuttle Twins books. I'm going to learn why FDR and his New Deal was a sumbitch.

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's my take. That shitty book author, who "discovered the plight" or some shit, seems to have arranged all this shit.

Also, are we not going to comment that, at least by my take, that of course the OP came here ans basically agrees with the outrage and is a Tuttle Twin fan?

I'd be curious to know where he originally learned about the story from, because you know it wasn't msn.com. 

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lulz.  Never heard of the Tuttle Twins before reading about this story this morning.  I haven't watched the viral video and do not really know the context in which events played out, but my personal thoughts mirrored sidis' first post in this thread.  I wonder if this kid (or his parents) has had other interactions with the school previously that may have colored the flag patch issue.

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I wonder if these idoits would be equally outraged (if at all) if a kid were to be sent home for wearing a pride rainbow flag?

No matter what patch gets you sent home, 50% of the idiots will be outraged.  Plug and play for any flag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

I was sent home, from first period study hall, in 71 for wearing a t-shirt with Budweiser insignia.  Came back with the anti smile shirt.  What a revolutionary.

One of my friends decided to let his freak flag fly at school one day in a cape, s & m paraphernalia, jock strap over his jeans, etc... so the principal yanked him into his office and called my friend's dad to come pick him up for violating the dress code. His dad replied "YOU'RE the one sending him home. YOU drive him." 

So he did. When they pulled up to his house his dad was rolling the garbage cans out to the curb and it was just casually all "Oh hi, son!" "Hi Dad!"

Lessons were not learned. 

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I wonder if these idoits would be equally outraged (if at all) if a kid were to be sent home for wearing a pride rainbow flag?

image.gif.c15c7de8de526d9a8aca65b3d84f618d.gif

42 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

No matter what patch gets you sent home, 50% of the idiots will be outraged.  Plug and play for any flag. 

image.gif.a5b7bca3ad853478f536e8d6f0e5ab19.gif

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Considering all of the marketing by the chip manufacturers and display strategy used by the store, I would say that this isn't an example of spontaneous order.

Mormon soaking would be a good example of spontaneous order.

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Lulz.  Never heard of the Tuttle Twins before reading about this story this morning.  I haven't watched the viral video and do not really know the context in which events played out, but my personal thoughts mirrored sidis' first post in this thread.  I wonder if this kid (or his parents) has had other interactions with the school previously that may have colored the flag patch issue.

I'd bet money it wasn't their first run in with the school. They had probably been warned about that patch or something like it more than once. They knew 100% what the outcome was going to be and did it for their 15 minutes of MAGA fame. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'd bet money it wasn't their first run in with the school. They had probably been warned about that patch or something like it more than once. They knew 100% what the outcome was going to be and did it for their 15 minutes of MAGA fame. 

Kid also had a "BASED" patch on.  stunt.