Game Day Experience 2023

Bullneck

26 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Grant Pinkerton tweeted CDC on Wednesday or Thursday about playing "If you're gonna play in Texas" so that our crowd could try and copy Alabama's state song shtick in Tuscaloosa, and lo and behold, that was played during the game. So CDC definitely uses Twitter/X a lot for feed back. It would be lot better to reach him there than getting this thread to 5 pages. 

Idk how I feel about that song. I understand Texas is Texas, but my Texas is a little less that Texas, and not sure I want to copy Alabama or West Virginia or whoever else's "southern good ol boy" themed singalong. No offense to John Denver, I get it's a classic. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

One other thing - did the players entrance seem extremely anti-climactic to anyone else?  Then they played the hype video AFTER the team was already on the field, which seemed weird to me...

Took awhile to find a VHS player to broadcast that sweet 90's Minotaur video of the steers running into the stadium.  A/V club out front shoulda told ya

All that planning and noise and crap and we were up 10-7 at halftime against ... Wyoming.  Wow what an impact...
Right before the halftime, a guy in a yellow shirt with STAFF written on it and carrying a radio appeared in our section.  He said "OK everyone we are going to do the wave! 1,2,3 .... go" and a few people tried to start the wave.  I think I yelled "Pathetic!" but it may have been something stronger.  He tried to start it two more times and got frustrated with the crowd.  The reason he could not start the wave was that he was being overrun by mostly drunk people leaving the stands in search of more beer.  The drunks were not organized but they were goal oriented.  He left after about four attempts.
Someone somewhere in the athletic department had probably decided that the stadium would do the wave at exactly the end of the 2nd quarter.  And they penciled it in to the game script.  And that's how some idiot ended up in our section trying to start the wave while being run over by drunks.
I don't think Bob Cole isn't trying to be annoying, I think he's being held hostage.  Someone somewhere in the athletic department has decided what he's going to say and exactly when he's going to say it.  Everything is pre-planned.
I knew it would be loud and I brought earplugs to try to knock it down.  Still too much.  My phone measured 94-98 dB from the PA between plays.  I left after halftime and was pretty happy to be out of the stadium and away from the PA system.  But hey, the stadium was packed.  It's hard to say if people were there because of all of the extra crap or in spite of all of the extra crap.
I thought the visuals on the Jumbotron were well done, but the constant barrage of noise was more than I could take.

3e874bfa1caf78a87170165ffae29f2b.jpg

i am notoriously cheap, but i continue to be amazed at the amount of money that is spent on concessions in the stadium (especially alcohol sales).

i will often make mental calculations (during the 4 minute commercial breaks) of the total cost of what are in people's hands as they walk by me up the section stairs

ie: 4 beers - well that is $36.

Edited by yoladu

4 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i am notoriously cheap, but i continue to be amazed at the amount of money that is spent on concessions in the stadium (especially alcohol sales).

i will often make mental calculations (during the 4 minute commercial breaks) of the total cost of what are in people's hands as they walk by me up the section stairs

How else are we supposed to pay for the music licensing fees and all the nonsense shit blaring from the speakers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

Generally, yeah, that's how music works... up until a certain point - where it's impossible to shout over it - and then all conversations stop.  

You seem to think everyone is arguing for peace and quiet.  We're not.  I'm in favor of a noisy home-field advantage, and the biggest part of home-field advantage is fan engagement.  My issue (probably everyone's issue) with the Jumbotron is that it discourages fan engagement by either shouting down the fans and/or turning them into silent, passive TV-watchers.  

FOR EXAMPLE:  Texas is on defense, and a big 3rd-down is coming up.  Maybe it's a TV timeout.  Jumbotron plays some insanely loud shit.  Trust me on this:  if you were in my section, you absolutely cannot talk over it.  Conversations stop.  All eyes turn and look at the Jumbotron.   Wyoming breaks the huddle and goes to the line.  Jumbotron abruptly stops, and the stadium is SILENT, and people aren't even aware, "Hey, this is a big play."  There's WAY less fan noise/energy/engagement than there would have been without the 60-year old men behind the curtain giving 100,000 fans Havana Syndrome.  

This happens over and over all game long.  

Excellent point. Sometimes the noise stops abruptly, and I look down at the field and the play has already started. In silence. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

One other thing - did the players entrance seem extremely anti-climactic to anyone else?  Then they played the hype video AFTER the team was already on the field, which seemed weird to me...

12 minutes ago, hobbs said:

Yep, noticed that as well.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've given up on the pregame band/team entrance stuff. It gets a little weirder/worse every year. 

i think all that had to do with thrying out the light show stuff? even though it was still daylight. 

but it was weird. there was a new sort of hype video, then nothing, then the team ran out after awhile, and that was it.

it was loud. so loud that by the end of the game (section 31 by smokey) i barely noticed when the cannon discharged.

there was one point when i turned to my friend and said "it's sort of weird hearing the soundtrack from my college years in the stadium" and he looked at me like i was stupid and said "dude, that's because we are the fucking demo now"

goddammit.

the thing i really hate is the paying to be productized again. and again. and again. and again. 

2 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Generally, yeah, that's how music works... up until a certain point - where it's impossible to shout over it - and then all conversations stop.  

You seem to think everyone is arguing for peace and quiet.  We're not.  I'm in favor of a noisy home-field advantage, and the biggest part of home-field advantage is fan engagement.  My issue (probably everyone's issue) with the Jumbotron is that it discourages fan engagement by either shouting down the fans and/or turning them into silent, passive TV-watchers.  

FOR EXAMPLE:  Texas is on defense, and a big 3rd-down is coming up.  Maybe it's a TV timeout.  Jumbotron plays some insanely loud shit.  Trust me on this:  if you were in my section, you absolutely cannot talk over it.  Conversations stop.  All eyes turn and look at the Jumbotron.   Wyoming breaks the huddle and goes to the line.  Jumbotron abruptly stops, and the stadium is SILENT, and people aren't even aware, "Hey, this is a big play."  There's WAY less fan noise/energy/engagement than there would have been without the 60-year old men behind the curtain giving 100,000 fans Havana Syndrome.  

This happens over and over all game long.  

This is 100% accurate. It was impossible to talk over the volume of the Jumbotron. When the sound stopped, there was silence in the stadium because no one was even thinking about yelling or cheering.

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I've given up on the pregame band/team entrance stuff. It gets a little weirder/worse every year. 

Did anyone notice the premature ignition of one of the spark-shooting T-E-X-A-S flags before the team ran out?  It erupted while laying on the ground and shot its entire load in the middle of the cheerleaders and band.

20 hours ago, scottsins said:

Bob is not the one saying “Texas”. He says first down like always. Miked up dickhead then yells Texas!

I hate it so much because for 25+ years now I have ridiculed other teams that do organized celebrations for first fucking downs.

That guy on the field has to go. It’s almost like he was planted there to make us somehow less irritated at the other shit we usually get ragey about.

Yep. That was some cringey fucking bullshit. I don't like it much at the volleyball games (Point, TEXAS!), but I can't fucking stand it at DKR.

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Stadium experience and crowd is consistently better than it's ever been. We finally have a good homefield atmosphere and you all bitch and want it quieter and shit. But yeah lets go back in time and talk about the same 4-5 games in a 30 year span that the crowd was "great."

I really don't think this is just another 'get off my lawn' reaction. I just don't think it's that simple.

I love the music, new and old, the drone show, etc. But a whole lot of that shit in between isn't really that appealing to the kids either. My 17 yo & 19 yo complain about it more than I do. They were talking before I was about the nonstop nature of it all and the crowd not getting a chance to just be a football crowd. 

In other words, the usual couching of all of this as a young vs old conflict is missing the point. Would I want to go back to the way it was in '83 when I got to the 40? Hell no. The actual football aside, I'd be bored out of my mind, esp with that atmosphere and the crazy-long tv and other breaks we have now. But this has gone too far in the other direction, and I hear people of all ages talking about just wanting them to slow it down a tad, turn it down a tad, and give the crowd a little bit of a break.

Interesting post here from the game thread, by @JBJ, which imho sheds some light on it not just us old guys that don't like this shit:

I really think there's a generational gap here that people aren't seeing between Millenials and Z. 

Millenials really value the wow factor entertainment. They want something exciting and hyped up.  Something to tweet about.

Gen Z really does not value the "guided" entertainment the same way.  They want to do and experience things that are organic and authentic.  In a way, making their own fun is exactly what they want.

Gen Y talks about how fun the last concert they went to was while Gen Z talks about how fun their book club is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep. That was some cringey fucking bullshit. I don't like it much at the volleyball games (Point, TEXAS!), but I can't fucking stand it at DKR.

Volleyball is fine but I don’t have a long standing tradition of attendance.

There are several elements that Baylor incorporates. And they did it before us.

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Stadium experience and crowd is consistently better than it's ever been. We finally have a good homefield atmosphere and you all bitch and want it quieter and shit. But yeah lets go back in time and talk about the same 4-5 games in a 30 year span that the crowd was "great."

Crowd was just fine 02–09. Didn’t need a strip club DJ either.  

The atmosphere deteriorated after the decade of failure that was 10-20

The atmosphere is certainly better, but none of the last 5 years would make a top ten list. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, yoladu said:

C’mon man.  Tip your staff.  Two beers is an even $20. 

I think the players should pick the music - just like walk up songs in baseball.  I don’t care if it’s hip hop, Van Halen, or Van Clyburn. What ever gets them going. 

And Bama walks out to AC/DC fwiw.  

The big problem to me is that someone thinks there’s a need to entertain outside of the game itself, and what they choose to do to entertain is the same exact shit at every single stadium.  Don’t Stop Believin’.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The big problem to me is that someone thinks there’s a need to entertain outside of the game itself, and what they choose to do to entertain is the same exact shit at every single stadium.  Don’t Stop Believin’.  

It all boils down to the fact that Belmont retains incredibly lazy people.   I've known a couple of people that worked inside the beast for a number of years and left partially because their bosses are incompetent and pretty much no room for advancement unless you stay forever.  I don't necessarily know who is in charge of gameday songs but the fact that it's completely unoriginal is par for the course.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Was like that last year as well. Normally it was Derrick Johnson narrating the hype video but it was Quan Cosby on Saturday. 

21 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

All of this.

I think younger people don't believe me when I say that the stadium was louder with 73k fans in the 90s.  That isn't some nostalgic bullshit.  And it's not that 73k people can make more noise than 100k people.

The difference is that back then we spent the commercial breaks with the cheerleaders leading Texas Fight back and forth and/or the band playing.  People stayed engaged the whole time.  The game was about the game, not about loud ass advertising and half-assed fans who show up for the photo op and leave in the 3rd quarter.

The stadium gets louder now in spurts, but most of the time it's shockingly quiet for how many people are there, mostly because Adzillatron has beaten them into quiet submission.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

All of this.

I think younger people don't believe me when I say that the stadium was louder with 73k fans in the 90s.  That isn't some nostalgic bullshit.  And it's not that 73k people can make more noise than 100k people.

The difference is that back then we spent the commercial breaks with the cheerleaders leading Texas Fight back and forth and/or the band playing.  People stayed engaged the whole time.  The game was about the game, not about loud ass advertising and half-assed fans who show up for the photo op and leave in the 3rd quarter.

The stadium gets louder now in spurts, but most of the time it's shockingly quiet for how many people are there, mostly because Adzillatron has beaten them into quiet submission.

A billion times this!

It is incredibly stupid how tone deaf Bellmont is about this…. Literally. 
Too many clueless hotshot know it alls think their control of the adzillatron is awesome, when it is just the opposite.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

All of this.

Damn, I remember when the most offensive adds were the Taco bell adds taking up real estate on the big screen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Damn, I remember when the most offensive adds were the Taco bell adds taking up real estate on the big screen. 

Right??

We were like, "That's a bit distracting, isn't it?"

Now I have about 5% more hearing loss in my right ear than in my left because of that fucking monstrosity of noise pollution.

18 hours ago, wood said:

I really don't think this is just another 'get off my lawn' reaction. I just don't think it's that simple.

I love the music, new and old, the drone show, etc. But a whole lot of that shit in between isn't really that appealing to the kids either. My 17 yo & 19 yo complain about it more than I do. They were talking before I was about the nonstop nature of it all and the crowd not getting a chance to just be a football crowd. 

In other words, the usual couching of all of this as a young vs old conflict is missing the point. Would I want to go back to the way it was in '83 when I got to the 40? Hell no. The actual football aside, I'd be bored out of my mind, esp with that atmosphere and the crazy-long tv and other breaks we have now. But this has gone too far in the other direction, and I hear people of all ages talking about just wanting them to slow it down a tad, turn it down a tad, and give the crowd a little bit of a break.

Interesting post here from the game thread, by @JBJ, which imho sheds some light on it not just us old guys that don't like this shit:

It's like an ADHD Tasmanian devil. Look here! Listen to this! Bright lights! Now they're flashing! Drone show! Fireworks! It's fun! Why are you cheering on your own? We didn't tell you to do that! 

Go to the Cotton Bowl. Take notes on atmosphere in the stadium. Replicate. That's what I want.

3 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Speaking of Cotton Bowl...

Lol. Ok. Don't know why I'd want to watch a 10 minute video that ends with the band walking into an empty stadium.

I think you meant to say "speaking of the Cotton Bowl":

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I think the players should pick the music - just like walk up songs in baseball.  I don’t care if it’s hip hop, Van Halen, or Van Clyburn. What ever gets them going.  

Can't agree. Fans are footing the bill. Consideration needs to be given to all in attendance.

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

This.

5 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Perhaps something like Margaritaville this past weekend. 

On 9/18/2023 at 11:25 AM, Chuckie Finster said:

Didn’t know Hell’s Bells is the entrance song. For fuck’s sake, this plus Journey and Thunderstruck every game makes me think an 80s rock compilation CD is stuck in the PA booth and it’s all we can play.

The yawn from the guy :20 seconds in plus the whole crowd energy makes it an electric atmosphere for Don’t Stop Believin’ 

Cross posting from the Wyoming game thread...

just totally disagree when some people try to reduce this topic to "Generation (A) is like this, but generation (B) is like that."  People of every age just want to have fun, feel the energy of a crowd, and have a shared experience.  There want to feel like they are PART of something.  They may not leave the house and articulate, "I want to have a communal, shared experience," but that's what they want.  They can get that from Wabash Cannonball or from hiphop or from almost anything in-between.  

What the people at Bellmont absolutely do not understand is this:  When you carpet-bomb the audience with obnoxious, deafening shit every single dead ball -and when you insist that 100,000 pairs of eyeballs direct themselves to the video screen - you're taking away your own home field advantage.  

Crowds are not capable of flipping a switch, where they go from passive consumers of the ****LOOK AT ME**** Jumbotron, and then suddenly becoming an active, vocal, cheering, involved part of the game.  

I've never seen a quieter, less-engaged 100,000 people than the ones who hardly stood, noticed, or cheered for the defense when Wyoming snapped the ball on a critical 3rd down in a tie ballgame.

• Hook 'Em 9

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Go to the Cotton Bowl. Take notes on atmosphere in the stadium. Replicate. That's what I want.

Excited Lets Go GIF

Besides the obvious rivalry, the atmosphere makes the game.

No BS lights, 80's tunes, or smoke (except Smokey). Just TEXAS/FIGHT, boomer sooner, the LHB and that other one that only knows two verses (second verse same as the first, so it's really just one). And during timeouts or commercials, played on the video boards is a HISTORY piece about the rivalry. 

Pretty simple.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It's like an ADHD Tasmanian devil. Look here! Listen to this! Bright lights! Now they're flashing! Drone show! Fireworks! It's fun! Why are you cheering on your own? We didn't tell you to do that! 

1 minute ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Excited Lets Go GIF

Besides the obvious rivalry, the atmosphere makes the game.

No BS lights, 80's tunes, or smoke (except Smokey). Just TEXAS/FIGHT, boomer sooner, the LHB and that other one that only knows two verses (second verse same as the first, so it's really just one). And during timeouts or commercials, played on the video boards is a HISTORY piece about the rivalry. 

Pretty simple.

just take the most unique and special environments of all of sports that is defined by it not being a home game or an away game for either team that are each other's most hated rivals and very simply replicate that for home games against wyoming.

look, i am frustrated by the bizarre home game environment that i would describe as trying so god damned hard that it is hurting itself.  it's like a dude at a party that is desperately trying to impress everyone as fast as he can.  they need to chill.

but acting like it's as simple as transplanting (imo) the greatest and most unique sporting spectacle in the country every year where the same variables are not at play is just silly.  texas-ou is self-fulfilling because of what it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2023 at 1:10 PM, MrBig said:

Cool drone show. But Thunderstruck again? The crowd sounded much better cheering before the music kicked in. Play the band or some fucking hip hop for a change. 

Play the Eyes of Texas at that moment. Agree 100% 

Edited by InkaUtexas

Back in the day, after a 3rd down stop by the defense, the band would play an Eyes snippet and, as they ran off the field, the defense would get a big ovation from the crowd.  I'm pretty sure this still happens in Dallas, but it absolutely didn't at the Wyoming game.  I tried to do it and no one else did...not even the other olds on the west side.  Not sure if it's because of the endless sound barrage we're beating to death here or not, but quite possibly. 

Regardless, I miss it and enjoyed acknowledging the D. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

If Rome existed in the 21st Century, it would be called America. No CR. 

And DKR is a 21st Century Roman Colosseum, battles of tribal conquest, complete with ear-splitting sound, clouds of smoke, and massive electronic/media spectacle. All right in the middle of a Top Shelf research university.

Same with many other stadia spectacles, especially the Super Bowl, as seen in Katy Perry's Halftime Show (below) and many others. 

This is where we are in American Rome. Deal with it. 

KatyLion.jpg

KatyPerryAlbum.jpg

• Rage+1 1