Texas Drivers License Renewal

TexPx

Lucky me! Time to renew in person. What a clusterfuck this has become. Two weeks trying to find an appointment before my birthday. Finally got lucky and got one. 1.5 hours away. Made it just before the “glitch”

From The Dallas Morning News:

“Driver’s License Renewal Mess is Embarrassing

Why won’t lawmakers fund this department so it can make the improvements it needs?

In theory, it is possible to get a same-day appointment online to renew a driver’s license. In reality, snagging a Taylor Swift concert ticket online is much easier and less stressful.

There is a haunting sense of déjà vu in Texas’ badly broken renewal process, which oddly took another spin when a computer upgrade forced the cancellation of all driver’s license appointments on Wednesday.

Even without a technical glitch, drivers in the state’s most densely populated major urban areas can expect to wait two to three months to get an appointment online to renew their license in person, according to the Department of Public Safety, which administers the renewal program.

DPS officials say they are understaffed and underfunded, and also complain that nearly 30% of motorists fail to show up for their appointments, depriving someone else of a time slot and adding to the booking delays.

So what should a driver do? DPS suggests checking availability at numerous locations, checking back often to see if appointments have opened up at their location of choice and determining whether they can renew or replace their license online.

No wonder efficiency is elusive and consumers are frustrated despite nearly two decades of efforts to streamline the renewal process and millions of dollars spent to consolidate offices, open mega centers, allow drivers to schedule an appointment up to six months in advance, extend license renewals from six to eight years and hire more workers.

This year, DPS officials said they asked lawmakers for $129 million to hire 587 full-time employees to staff 212 counters across the state and open 10 driver’s license offices; another $85.1 million to hire 438 full-time employees to beef up customer service call centers that are so overwhelmed that workers are able to respond to less than 18% of incoming telephone or email inquiries; and $7.1 million for 38 full-time employees and other resources to process REAL ID applicants.

If you think these are hefty requests and an intolerable situation, so did the state lawmakers, who provided funding for one office with 24 service counters, and directed DPS to complete an efficiency study next year on how they plan to use technology to reduce booking and wait times, DPS officials said. DPS is now trying to figure out where to put that office.

An efficiency study is never a bad idea, but actually fixing a problem is even smarter.

The state should again consider the impact of shifting renewal responsibilities to a new standalone agency or to the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, which currently handles vehicle registrations.

An efficiency study also should review the impact of adding mobile stations, having Saturday hours, offering discounts for online transactions as some other states have done and, of course, making it easier for drivers to navigate the website and complete business online.

Renewing a driver’s license is never fun. But it shouldn’t border on impossible.”

I know that the TxDMV is notrious for causing all kinds of issues, but frankly I am pretty stunned to hear they have gone to that much shit in less than a year. 

I think I even posted on here about my being competely satisfied I was when I had to do the same on site picture update appointment. Last Dec, I got the message, logged onto to site, saw that the DMV on Lamar had several appointment openings at 8am the next day. 

Picked it, showed up about 5 mins early, logged into the computer with the code they gave me, and 2 mins later my number/name was called, walked to the booth numner listed, gave all my stuff to the worker, 3 mins later, look at the camera, done. new temp license in hand, and leaving. 

I was out of there no later than 8:10.  

something like 2 weeks later got my clipped old license along with my new one. 

it was so fucking smooth that I was stunned.   Now you are telling me the process is fucked again?  damn glad i have 13 more years to have to worry about doing it again. 

I had to go "in person" last fall, and was pleasantly surprised I could secure an appointment in two days. Showed up a few minutes early but still ended up waiting ~2.5hours until my number was called. Apparently the "systems crashed" the day before and they couldn't process anyone, so they were just mashing those people into the next days appointments. Then the chick helping me was in her first week, and didn't have a fucking clue what she was doing. That took another hour. Spending 3+ hours in a crowded DMV location makes a trip to Walmart feel like you're hobnobbing with the 1%. 

The easiest thing to do is hit an outlying office.   I live closest to the Humble location and not too terribly far from the Spring mega center.   I went to Livingston last month to renew and my daughter took her driver's test at Liberty.  Yeah, it was an hour drive each way but we got the appointments within a few days of needing them.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I have to go in person before the end of December so I guess I'll start fucking with it now.

Prepare thy anus.

Last time I had to renew, I took my son to Lockhart. He (we) got to check out the cool County Courthouse. We were in and out in ten minutes. We then went across the street to this really cool toy store, then we hit Smitty's.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

28 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Prepare thy anus.

Last time I had to renew, I took my son to Lockhart. He (we) got to check out the cool County Courthouse. We were in and out in ten minutes. We then went across the street to this really cool toy store, then we hit Smitty's.

Lockhart is a great idea. Make a day trip out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Prepare thy anus.

You're sort of like a Marcus Aurelius of modern times. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexPx said:

Lucky me! Time to renew in person. What a clusterfuck this has become. Two weeks trying to find an appointment before my birthday. Finally got lucky and got one. 1.5 hours away. Made it just before the “glitch”

From The Dallas Morning News:

“Driver’s License Renewal Mess is Embarrassing

Why won’t lawmakers fund this department so it can make the improvements it needs?

LOL. Texas spending money on government. New to Texas, are you? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Prepare thy anus.

I went to Marble Falls.  Fairly quick and ate lunch at Bluebonnet Cafe.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Why don't you post about it 7 times?
Some offices open up same day appointments online starting at 8am. I snagged one for my teen to get her learner's permit that way. Yes, it's inefficient but when has this state done anything efficiently?

Well excuuuuuse meee. Tapa said it didn’t post. Like I said. I tried to find an appointment reasonably close for two weeks. Some nearby had nothing until 2024 and we even have a mega center. It’s nuts in DFW, like the OpEd says.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

The easiest thing to do is hit an outlying office.   I live closest to the Humble location and not too terribly far from the Spring mega center.   I went to Livingston last month to renew and my daughter took her driver's test at Liberty.  Yeah, it was an hour drive each way but we got the appointments within a few days of needing them.

Yeah, this. Avoid the mega cities or even the kinda mega-cities. Budget a day, stop at Buccees along the way. Been dealing with this for the teen permit/driver test BS.

I had to go "in person" last fall, and was pleasantly surprised I could secure an appointment in two days. Showed up a few minutes early but still ended up waiting ~2.5hours until my number was called. Apparently the "systems crashed" the day before and they couldn't process anyone, so they were just mashing those people into the next days appointments. Then the chick helping me was in her first week, and didn't have a fucking clue what she was doing. That took another hour. Spending 3+ hours in a crowded DMV location makes a trip to Walmart feel like you're hobnobbing with the 1%. 

A three hour round trip and 15 minutes in the DL office was worth it. Plus, I got to see Paris in the Summertime!
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I got canceled yesterday.  That same day shit didn’t work this morning.  Looked up the nearest DPS office and the next available appointment was 2/2/24.

Texas: you can't get reliable electricity.  You can't get a driver's license.   You can't get the medical care of your choice.  

"Texas: YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!"  I mean, I guess if we're workshopping new state mottos, that one has the advantage of being accurate.

I booked an appointment this morning since I need to renew my DL and it wouldn't allow me to do it online.  Got an appointment 100 miles west of Ft Worth in 2 weeks. Further out you go the sooner you can get a spot.

It sucks but the previous experience of showing up at your local DMV and waiting half a day for your number to be called also sucked.

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

I booked an appointment this morning since I need to renew my DL and it wouldn't allow me to do it online.  Got an appointment 100 miles west of Ft Worth in 2 weeks. Further out you go the sooner you can get a spot.

It sucks but the previous experience of showing up at your local DMV and waiting half a day for your number to be called also sucked.

I may use this as an excuse to go have a CFS at Mary’s.

IMG_0042.avif

• Hook 'Em 1

Keep an eye out on the card you use for your online renewal. Their security is shit.

My dad’s card used in the payment transaction had weird charges on it a few months after paying for a renewal. Multiple charges for additional DPS transactions and even Uber Eats charges.

This is the only thing the card was used on so I know the breach came from here. My dad is an old man who doesn’t buy shit online.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/driver-license/dl-security-incident

Mine expires in late November & I got the notice from DPS in late June that I was not eligible to renew online. No big deal, I figured. I'd just gone through a reorg and had extra time on my hands while searching for a new job.  I went to schedule an appointment online for the Lake Creek Blvd office, figuring I'd get a slot in a week or two. A month at the latest. 

October fucking 6th was the first date available. Three months later. I start my new job next Monday and one of the first things I've already communicated to my new boss is that I'm going to be delayed getting to work that day. Assuming I don't get canceled and have to reschedule. Fuck this fuckery.

20 hours ago, TexPx said:

Because you need a DL to vote.  Notice that the problems are in the cities.  Drive to the rural locations and no problem.  By Design. /CR

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Hasn't DPS cancelled 3 straight days of appointments with nothing more than a "software glitch" excuse? Wouldn't shock me if they're a victim of ransomware and working to pay off some criminals.  But perhaps it really is a software bug.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/texas-dps-software-update-cancelled-appointments-18349396.php

Overall, and it's been a couple of years, I've had great experiences at the DPS urban mega centers. I schedule online, show up a few minutes early and out the door within 30-60 minutes. I do see others that appear to have been sitting there much longer. I assume they're walk-ins, or they have more complicated situations than renewals.

16 hours ago, Yarbr said:

My son and I get to go to the bustling town of Gatesville to get his DL.

I checked, you can renew up to 6 months early. Plenty of appointments 2 months out, but it really goes against my procrastinators heart.

Austin appointment times were 4 months out. We got an appointment for our son in Caldwell with a week or so wait.

That being said that is ridiculous. Fortunately, we have the means and time to do that, but not every parent can just take a day off on a weekday and drive 160 miles roundtrip. Not to mention having to take my son out of school for a day.

13 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Does texas not offer online renewal? Even backwards Oklahoma has that. I got my license renewed from the comfort of my filthy hovel, very convenient. 

well yokel land thief, they do. 

But since humans, you know, age, and things that used to work, like eyes, and brains, start to not be as good as before.

The state allows 1 online renewal after your 6/7 year license expires, after that,  in year 13/14 you have to be in person at the DMV to verify you can still see to drive and are coherent enough to understand road signs

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Overall, and it's been a couple of years, I've had great experiences at the DPS urban mega centers. I schedule online, show up a few minutes early and out the door within 30-60 minutes. I do see others that appear to have been sitting there much longer. I assume they're walk-ins, or they have more complicated situations than renewals.

I think this explains your disconnect. Its a different level of suck than it used to be. 

And also, while I certainly don't put it past the lege to try to exacerbate the clusterfuck to discourage voting, its important to know and let others know that your photo ID  can be up to 4 years expired and still be accepted. If you are over 70, you dont have to worry about expired status.

What kind of photo identification is required to qualify to vote in person?

The following is a list of acceptable photo IDs at the polling place:

Texas Driver License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)

Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS

Texas Personal Identification Card issued by DPS

Texas Handgun License issued by DPS

United States Military Identification Card containing the person’s photograph

United States Citizenship Certificate containing the person’s photograph

United States Passport (book or card)

With the exception of the U.S. Citizenship Certificate, which does not expire, for voters aged 18-69, the acceptable form of photo identification may be expired no more than four years before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place. For voters aged 70 or older, the acceptable form of photo identification may be expired for any length of time if the identification is otherwise valid.

https://www.votetexas.gov/mobile/id-faqs.htm

Edited by Blotto

14 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

But since humans, you know, age, and things that used to work, like eyes, and brains, start to not be as good as before.

The state allows 1 online renewal after your 6/7 year license expires, after that,  in year 13/14 you have to be in person at the DMV to verify you can still see to drive and are coherent enough to understand road signs

Interesting. Never had an eye test, they would just check the box for "corrective lenses" if you wore glasses. I wonder if there's data out there that shows Oklahoma has more accidents caused by bad vision or elderly drivers. 

Yeah, it was considerably better when you just showed up and took a number.  You'd wait a good while, but get it done on the day you showed up for the most part.

I wound up helping my mother in law with this and it was a pain in the ass.  Appointment six weeks out, at least, and still waited a couple of hours to get it done.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Texas: you can't get reliable electricity.  You can't get a driver's license.   You can't get the medical care of your choice.  

"Texas: YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!"  I mean, I guess if we're workshopping new state mottos, that one has the advantage of being accurate.

Well yeah. If they actually were to let governmental institutions run in a efficient and effective manner, people might get some crazy idea in their heads that it's possible for government services to not be complete and total shit.

Nope, can't have that. Gotta privatize everything we can so we can all pay more for shit, on top of the taxes we already pay not being used the way they're supposed to. Squeezing low income people for every last cent is just the new American way.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, it was considerably better when you just showed up and took a number.  You'd wait a good while, but get it done on the day you showed up for the most part.

I wound up helping my mother in law with this and it was a pain in the ass.  Appointment six weeks out, at least, and still waited a couple of hours to get it done.

Yeah, getting a new license here is the same. Many of the old DPS sites are closed and you have to get in line at 3-4 AM and wait to get a number...to then go back later to take the exam. So dumb. Glad my kids got their DL before that shit started.

1 minute ago, Sandman said:

Yeah, getting a new license here is the same. Many of the old DPS sites are closed and you have to get in line at 3-4 AM and wait to get a number...to then go back later to take the exam. So dumb. Glad my kids got their DL before that shit started.

It was fucking tortuously difficult for each of my kids to 1) get their DL and 2) register to vote (esp. because our last name isn't something good and white American, like Smith or Jones) compared to how it was for my wife or even me back in the day.

That is by design, which should shock absolutely nobody.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

He lay a bunch of pipe or something?

he laid a bunch of aqueduct

i thought we figured this shit out during covid. i renewed my registration at the office on airport in 10 minutes during the pandemic. that shit was incredible. same with heb vaccines and restaurant appointments. 

what the fuck is the actual problem?

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Yeah but after next year you can drive your coal powered 18 wheeler minus 6.5 wheels, with no brakes or external lights up there to verify you’re able to drive.  Because safety is in our department name. 

As others have already pointed out, it is possible to get a quick appointment if you are willing to make a 3 hour round trip. I recently was able to find an appointment within a week by driving to Hondo.

A three fucking hour round trip to renew a license. The fact that people are just accepting this reality blows my mind. This is third-world level inefficiency.

Animated GIF