We might be headed to the SEC but we can never embrace the SEC

Thatguy

Yes, there a racists everywhere, but I'm comfortable with us always remaining apart from the rest of the close-minded SEC mindset.

Yes, there a racists everywhere, but I'm comfortable with us always remaining apart from the rest of the close-minded SEC mindset.

I'll admit that I've always been a homer deep down for whatever conference Texas was in.  But I'm going to be rooting for every other non-SEC team to beat every SEC team from here on in.

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Based on federal money in versus money out, in a way you could consider their entire state a government housing project. No CR because I'm not picking sides, just pointing out that their state is a shithole.

They didn’t even have working internet. For ducks sake Cletus, it’s 2023 get your shit together. 

Some idiot on secrant was ragging on Longhorns chanting secsecsec after the W. He wrote, "Idiots, you'll be in the sec next year". Bunch of fucking inbreds think all of a sudden we'll all become a bunch of sec homers. Only time I'll root for another sec team is if it helps the Horns. As much as it'll hurt, I'll root for the aggys or gooners if it's beneficial for the Horns. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Seeing how people in the US are about their religion, how they've gotten about their politics, and knowing how seriously they take football there will never be a day where I go to an away football game. Whether college or NFL. Anyone stupid enough to go to a state as backwards as Alabama without a small army with them are fortunate if they leave without bodily injury from locals or law enforcement. 

I've been pleasantly surprised at how civilized the Cotton Bowl has been throughout the years but I wouldn't be surprised if even that changes going forward. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

6 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Please understand that is Alabama and they are a different breed. There is a reason why the sec put Mizzou in the East. Ala, Miss, La are the dregs of society. Fla, Ga, SC, Mizzou, Vandy are much different. 

You’ll like the eastern schools better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, troph said:

thanks for posting that. Yeah, when the move to the SEC was announced, I generally felt like it's a young man's game, and that I'd gladly watch from afar.

Yep.  I was in Columbus in '05.  My significantly older ass will be watching all of our SEC road games from Pluckers or my couch.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure where to post this, but here's a breakdown of my personal experience with their miserable fucking fans this past weekend. I've spoilered it for the TL;DR crowd.

Reveal hidden contents

I've been to Tuscaloosa for a game before. Our buddies hosted @SydneyCarton, myself and the guy that made the Greg Davis 3rd and 5 graphic for the Alabama/UF game in 2014. Our friends gave us Bama gear and we were good sports and wore it. I bought a grey hat with the crimson elephant logo on it, which I still have and think is pretty cool unto itself. We went to tailgates and bars and the fans were nice, if rowdy. So, I figured I knew what to expect. 

This time around, I just went with my wife. We landed in Birmingham and drove in to town and stayed on Friday night. That evening, while on the wait at Chuck's Fish (which is excellent), we were greeted, and conversed with repeatedly, by well-meaning and very friendly Bama fans. High class folks with their greek children and their friends in tow, all wishing us well and telling us how much they "all like Steve so much". My wife said to me, "wow, these are great fans. they really are shockingly nice hosts."

It was then that I told her she might a) be misreading what was happening and b) to just wait until tomorrow for a better picture. On a), my point was that these folks, who were certainly nice, were doing so because they simply expected to win and viewed us as a novelty. On b), she got to see everything for herself in sharp relief on Saturday, as did I. This time, wearing UT gear, the gameday fans treated us completely differently. 

I've been to the RRS many times. Watched a game in the Rose Bowl versus USC. Been to Morgantown, College Station (many times), UH, JerryWorld, Fayetteville, the Cotton Bowl, and various other bowl match-ups. Measured against all of those groups, I don't know that I've ever encountered another group of fans on gameday that were a worse representation of the human species.

The amount of hillbillies and frat and sorority dipshits screaming "horns down!" at the top of their lungs while putting the horns down sign one inch from your face was absurd. I didn't see any longhorns giving a shit other than when one of those rubes touched them with the gesture. "Fuck Texas!!!" "Kill yourself if you're from Texas!!" and other comments along the same lines are not comments I've had thrown in my face repeatedly alongside any other fanbase. These are bottom scraping pieces of human shit. 

After the game, things only got worse. We walked back to our car alone and for the first time in my life as a fan, there were several moments in which I was legitimately concerned that we were about to get jumped. This while just walking and saying nothing. Frat guys, white trash buddies with beers in their hands telling my wife she should come hang out with Bama men, a mixed group of face-tatted likely ex-convicts telling me to get the fuck out of their state, and one guy from Sling Blade who tried to fight me while screaming "FUCK TEXAS!!!" at the top of his lungs and standing 6'5", 400 pounds. 

That entire fanbase is a collection of entitled bitches who can't handle a loss. They're a pathetic group of dipshits best only visited in larger numbers coming and going than just one dude and one female. Note to self and others when we go back in 2025, 2026, or 2027. 

That first trip to Starkville or Baton Rouge is probably going to be madness. 

3 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

I have been told that I am racist cause I am white.  Apparently it is in the "white " DNA. So who is the racist?

What does this have to do with anything said in this thread? I don't give a shit if someone called you a racist one time because you're white. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

What does this have to do with anything said in this thread? I don't give a shit if someone called you a racist one time because you're white. 

You made the comment about racist being everywhere.  I simply inferred you are correct.  The simple fact that in today's world racism is the go to card.  Regardless if it is real or not.  

• Fuck You 25

14 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Please understand that is Alabama and they are a different breed. There is a reason why the sec put Mizzou in the East. Ala, Miss, La are the dregs of society. Fla, Ga, SC, Mizzou, Vandy are much different. 

You’ll like the eastern schools better. 

I don't know how racist your fans are but they sure as shit are as obnoxious as the best of them. 

And I think we like LSU fans for the most part. 

18 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Seeing how people in the US are about their religion, how they've gotten about their politics, and knowing how seriously they take football there will never be a day where I go to an away football game. Whether college or NFL. Anyone stupid enough to go to a state as backwards as Alabama without a small army with them are fortunate if they leave without bodily injury from locals or law enforcement. 

I've been pleasantly surprised at how civilized the Cotton Bowl has been throughout the years but I wouldn't be surprised if even that changes going forward. Enjoy it while it lasts. 

The cotton bowl has some things going for it that I think make for a much friendlier atmosphere than most big rivalry games. The state fair particularly helps take the edge off

• Hook 'Em 2

Conference accolades don't mean shit.

When schools are doing their damndest to fuck up a conference foe only to say "Hey but we're member of <insert_conference_name>." has never made sense to. 

That's aggy shit right there.

I never gave a damn about the old SWC, the Big 12 and I'll never give a damn about the SEC.

Teams earn respect by winning, not by joining a conference.

Unless you're aggy then you command respect without earning it.

That's all I got.

Peace, mofos.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The cotton bowl has some things going for it that I think make for a much friendlier atmosphere than most big rivalry games. The state fair particularly helps take the edge off

See I would think the fare would escalate things.  But , my theory is that our series with ou has been so lopsided that they feel bad for us.  Actually I know that first hand as I attended the rrs the last 20 years

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure where to post this, but here's a breakdown of my personal experience with their miserable fucking fans this past weekend. I've spoilered it for the TL;DR crowd.

Reveal hidden contents

I've been to Tuscaloosa for a game before. Our buddies hosted @SydneyCarton, myself and the guy that made the Greg Davis 3rd and 5 graphic for the Alabama/UF game in 2014. Our friends gave us Bama gear and we were good sports and wore it. I bought a grey hat with the crimson elephant logo on it, which I still have and think is pretty cool unto itself. We went to tailgates and bars and the fans were nice, if rowdy. So, I figured I knew what to expect. 

This time around, I just went with my wife. We landed in Birmingham and drove in to town and stayed on Friday night. That evening, while on the wait at Chuck's Fish (which is excellent), we were greeted, and conversed with repeatedly, by well-meaning and very friendly Bama fans. High class folks with their greek children and their friends in tow, all wishing us well and telling us how much they "all like Steve so much". My wife said to me, "wow, these are great fans. they really are shockingly nice hosts."

It was then that I told her she might a) be misreading what was happening and b) to just wait until tomorrow for a better picture. On a), my point was that these folks, who were certainly nice, were doing so because they simply expected to win and viewed us as a novelty. On b), she got to see everything for herself in sharp relief on Saturday, as did I. This time, wearing UT gear, the gameday fans treated us completely differently. 

I've been to the RRS many times. Watched a game in the Rose Bowl versus USC. Been to Morgantown, College Station (many times), UH, JerryWorld, Fayetteville, the Cotton Bowl, and various other bowl match-ups. Measured against all of those groups, I don't know that I've ever encountered another group of fans on gameday that were a worse representation of the human species.

The amount of hillbillies and frat and sorority dipshits screaming "horns down!" at the top of their lungs while putting the horns down sign one inch from your face was absurd. I didn't see any longhorns giving a shit other than when one of those rubes touched them with the gesture. "Fuck Texas!!!" "Kill yourself if you're from Texas!!" and other comments along the same lines are not comments I've had thrown in my face repeatedly alongside any other fanbase. These are bottom scraping pieces of human shit. 

After the game, things only got worse. We walked back to our car alone and for the first time in my life as a fan, there were several moments in which I was legitimately concerned that we were about to get jumped. This while just walking and saying nothing. Frat guys, white trash buddies with beers in their hands telling my wife she should come hang out with Bama men, a mixed group of face-tatted likely ex-convicts telling me to get the fuck out of their state, and one guy from Sling Blade who tried to fight me while screaming "FUCK TEXAS!!!" at the top of his lungs and standing 6'5", 400 pounds. 

That entire fanbase is a collection of entitled bitches who can't handle a loss. They're a pathetic group of dipshits best only visited in larger numbers coming and going than just one dude and one female. Note to self and others when we go back in 2025, 2026, or 2027. 

I didn't really have that bad an experience, although I certainly agree a lot of the treatment felt like a magnanimous gesture instead of sincerity.  

I attended the game with my 14yo daughter, and walked 1.5 miles to the stadium and back.  There was a lot of "GONNA BE A LONG NIGHT" and horns down, but I never felt any danger.  I had a lot of people congratulate us and said they hoped we kept it going and won the Big XII.  Hell, I talked about the game all the way back to the hotel with one guy. 

Texas/OU is mostly civil because there's a lot of respect between the fanbases, as athletic programs we generally have the same best interests in mind, we have to put up with the same annoying bullshit (like aggy, tech, Nebraska etc.), we usually benefit when the other team is also good (there were years in the B12 where we were the only relevant team on each other's schedule) AND in cities like Dallas we all have to work and live with each other. There are also a lot of OU alums that are from Texas. And shit, our greatest coach ever was from Oklahoma. 

I fucking despise OU's football team - but I generally like their fans that live in Texas okay because they just seem to get it. They are generally realistic about both their team and ours - unlike the goobers towards Houston - and they generally aren't insecure to the point where they act childish or nasty. I've had countless convos where it sort of goes "damn, you guys look good this season" "well - we'll see what happens in Dallas" "yep - good luck" etc. I remember after the 2016 game where they played like shit against another awful Strong team and had already dropped 2 games in noncon, everyone filing out was like "man we both kind of fucking suck". That OU team still won 10 games but you could tell they weren't super jazzed about beating a crappy Texas team by 5 points. I didn't have anyone shoving it in my face or anything like that.

I'm sure folks here have anecdotal experiences about terrible OU fans but I'm sure some OU fans have experiences dealing with shithead Texas fans. 

We're just sort of eternally tied to the hip.

• Hook 'Em 6

43 minutes ago, troph said:

thanks for posting that. Yeah, when the move to the SEC was announced, I generally felt like it's a young man's game, and that I'd gladly watch from afar. I have zero interest in the internet bullshit nor the in person harassment simply because you like a different team, or frankly, in this day and age because you're different or just because people are assholes. Let's stay friendly on our side please.

Yeah--I went to Columbus in 2005 and Lubbock in 2008.  After that, I've pretty much sworn off big road games.  I went to Wyoming because, I mean, fuck it--how angry are people in Laramie going to get at someone who's not gay?  And I may go to Baylor this year, because that effectively is going to be a Texas home game. 

But SEC road games?  No thanks.  I just don't need that shit in my life.

31 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

You know--that's a really good point.  

It wasn't always that way.  Commerce Street in the 80s was pretty fucking hostile (and ended up being really dangerous). 

Part of it is that so many kids from Texas (particularly North Texas) now go to OU.  So there's kind of a reunion aspect to the game.  

But beyond that, I don't think you can overlook the heavy police presence at the State Fair.  You know I'm not a big fan of the police.  But DPD does a really good job down there every year in preventing any trouble while still staying out of the way and allowing people to have fun and blow off a reasonable amount of steam.

• Hook 'Em 3