Dallas mayor Eric Johnson dupes his constituents and switches to the radical republican party

Pancho

• Pancho changed the title to Dallas mayor Eric Johnson dupes his constituents and switches to the radical republican party

I've never, ever, ever liked this guy. He was fucking invisible during COVID. You'd have thought Clay Jenkins was the Dallas mayor. Johnson also seemed way too cozy and in line (err, bought) with the "old guard" that pulled Rawlings' strings before him.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've never, ever, ever liked this guy. He was fucking invisible during COVID. You'd have thought Clay Jenkins was the Dallas mayor. Johnson also seemed way too cozy and in line (err, bought) with the "old guard" that pulled Rawlings' strings before him.

Clay Jenkins can go fuck himself forever. 

Johnson has done a good job as Mayor, regardless of his party affiliation, and this is probably in anticipation for other statewide offices.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

What a fucking shithead. You know he'll run for governor so they can put him on stage to show how much they love "teh blacks" knowing he has zero chance. It'll be literally just for show and he'll be given some cushy job in Austin by hot wheels or whatever fascist piece of shit holds that office next.

Token Black Friend - TV Tropes

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

Next step, Eric Johnson wipes the floor with Hagar and ascends to the Governor’s mansion.

The real blame for this belongs to TDP leadership for not protecting their bench and generating negative equity for strong local franchises. Eric Johnson wants to move up, and you can’t do that right now in Texas as a Dem.
I don’t blame him a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Here's probably the reality of Dallas politics.  Mayor is mostly a non-partisan race.  It's between the Citizen's Council candidate and the non-Citizen's Council candidate.   Despite, or because of, being Black, Johnson was the Citizen's Council candidate.  The Citizen's Council candidate is more likely to align Republican, and, maybe now, Trumpublican.  That's an interesting question.

Johnson didn't win because he was a Democrat or even anti-Republican.  He won because he was the Citizen's Council candidate, and they more or less control the vote in a low-turnout election.  Again, because Black, I guess, he received a lot of endorsements from Democrats and Black politicians.

Price and Neal's ability to increase turnout from south of the river is gone and I'm not sure anyone has taken their place.  But I'm sure he got a goodly number of votes from souf Dallas.

tl;dr Johnson didn't win because he was a Democrat, but joining up with Republicans in this day and age is really something.  Really cynical move to insure his future political career.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

In Johnson’s defense, Clay Jenkins was a media whore during COVID. It cost him his marriage and my friends’ sanity as they live next door to that goofball, and there were many justified protests at his house. 

I like Johnson. Anyone who butts heads with the fucked up Dallas City Council automatically gets a winner label from me. 

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Next step, Eric Johnson wipes the floor with Hagar and ascends to the Governor’s mansion.

The real blame for this belongs to TDP leadership for not protecting their bench and generating negative equity for strong local franchises. Eric Johnson wants to move up, and you can’t do that right now in Texas as a Dem.
I don’t blame him a bit. 

Oh god, please tell me she's not planning to run for governor? I guess if Wendy Davis and Beto have already lost it's her turn...sigh. 

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's probably the reality of Dallas politics.  Mayor is mostly a non-partisan race.  It's between the Citizen's Council candidate and the non-Citizen's Council candidate.   Despite, or because of, being Black, Johnson was the Citizen's Council candidate.  The Citizen's Council candidate is more likely to align Republican, and, maybe now, Trumpublican.  That's an interesting question.

Johnson didn't win because he was a Democrat or even anti-Republican.  He won because he was the Citizen's Council candidate, and they more or less control the vote in a low-turnout election.  Again, because Black, I guess, he received a lot of endorsements from Democrats and Black politicians.

Price and Neal's ability to increase turnout from south of the river is gone and I'm not sure anyone has taken their place.  But I'm sure he got a goodly number of votes from souf Dallas.

tl;dr Johnson didn't win because he was a Democrat, but joining up with Republicans in this day and age is really something.  Really cynical move to insure his future political career.

Does the Dallas race even list the candidate's party? In Houston, there is no direct reference to a candidate's party on the ballot and I think the candidates may even have to refrain from listing it on their election mailers, ads, etc.  But obviously you can identify the candidate's party by their endorsements and policy goals.

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Oh god, please tell me she's not planning to run for governor? I guess if Wendy Davis and Beto have already lost it's her turn...sigh. 

Not MJ- Glenn Hegar. I was talking about the primary race. 

No, I'm sure on the Democrat side we'll have the choice between some 0-for party critter retread and a magical millionaire who campaigns on his close friendship with Republicans. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Texas is a lost cause

There no "serve" in Texas politics. It's all a cash grab through power grabs. 100 percent self serving. Hence the major cracks in the system such as threats to shut down the power grid for people on hot days in Texas. It's a failing state for it's citizens. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

What a fucking shithead. You know he'll run for governor so they can put him on stage to show how much they love "teh blacks" knowing he has zero chance. It'll be literally just for show and he'll be given some cushy job in Austin by hot wheels or whatever fascist piece of shit holds that office next.

Token Black Friend - TV Tropes

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

‘Blacks for Abbott’ 

coming soon 

racist comedy central GIF

I guess now that he's a Republican you guys can really let your freak flags fly.  

Maybe he lost a sports bet with another city and had to change parties as a condition of losing. 

He's the least visible mayor since I've lived in Dallas. I can't think of a single thing he's done other than wanting to bring another MLB team to town. I think he fought with the city council and lost badly on a few issues but he's an empty suit compared to Mike Rawlins. I'd love for him to run for something where he's representing Dallas and Clay Jenkins runs against him and kicks his ass.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

In Johnson’s defense, Clay Jenkins was a media whore during COVID. It cost him his marriage and my friends’ sanity as they live next door to that goofball, and there were many justified protests at his house. 

I like Johnson. Anyone who butts heads with the fucked up Dallas City Council automatically gets a winner label from me. 

Ha, had no idea Jenkins got divorced. Clay's daughter and mine were in a Y Princess Guides group many years ago. Our daughters are seniors now. Clay was an odd duck then. Haven't seen him in years -- except on my TV.

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Maybe he lost a sports bet with another city and had to change parties as a condition of losing. 

He's the least visible mayor since I've lived in Dallas. I can't think of a single thing he's done other than wanting to bring another MLB team to town. I think he fought with the city council and lost badly on a few issues but he's an empty suit compared to Mike Rawlins. I'd love for him to run for something where he's representing Dallas and Clay Jenkins runs against him and kicks his ass.

Johnson is the textbook definition of an empty suit.

• Hook 'Em 3

In his mind, he’s the classic bootstraps success story. Raised in meager circumstances, sustained in part by public assistance and made it to the top. Now, rather than affirm the possibilities for young black people who find themselves similarly situated, he’s decided to align himself with a party that would make his ascension unlikely. 

This will not affect his relationship with the black community here. He doesn’t have one. This is him positioning himself to get paid.

• Rage+1 4

10 minutes ago, Satchel said:

In his mind, he’s the classic bootstraps success story. Raised in meager circumstances, sustained in part by public assistance and made it to the top. Now, rather than affirm the possibilities for young black people who find themselves similarly situated, he’s decided to align himself with a party that would make his ascension unlikely. 

Did he miss the memo that the GOP already has one of these?

Clarence Thomas Attended at Least Two Koch Donor Summits: Report

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

image.png.cbbb465d261f103d26b1900232284c4f.png

Heroic post. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I couldn’t care less if Dallas mayor is invisible. Dallas mayor doesn’t have a lot of power. The city is controlled by the council, which has been fucked forever. My uncle was a councilmen and has horror stories. That you’d want Jenkins to win a race against Johnson says a lot about you. Jenkins is the absolute worst imaginable power hungry attention whore ever. Baylor grad, awkward Howdy Doody dork. 

From the Dallas Observer:

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-mayor-eric-johnson-announces-he-is-switching-parties-from-democrat-to-republican-17534050

For those who have been paying even somewhat close attention, this news, although still surprising, isn’t exactly the most shocking thing to ever come out of City Hall. For months, since Johnson won reelection after running unopposed in May, he has openly and rather boldly carried himself in ways that lean more red than blue. The former Democrat state representative for District 100 has made multiple appearances on Fox News, and in June, he invited Republican U.S. Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn to the city’s 2023 inaugural ceremony. 

In the WSJ article, Johnson says he was never a fan of the Democratic caucus during his House run, nor, according to him, were they a fan of his.

SMU political science professor Cal Jillson isn't as puzzled by the timing of the mayor's switch as some others. Understanding it is as simple as understanding the political party landscape Johnson is navigating. 

"You can only be elected mayor of Dallas as a Democrat," he said. "And you can only be elected statewide in Texas as a Republican. I think that helps to explain the timing. After his election, he's now giving Republicans time to get their mind around what has happened and to get comfortable with him as he prepared to think about what office he wants to run for."

• Rage+1 2

I doubt there will be a huge groundswell for that. He's done nothing but give the business class whatever they want which is why he was re-elected. He's one vote out of 15 so he's basically just a figurehead that randomly shows up to shit on Dallas. The Dallas mayor is and will always be weak. He talks shit about liberal policies around things like homelessness and has done next to nothing on that issue. He's proposed nothing to help alleviate the problem and he never will because he never will because he can use that as a wedge against evil libs. Oh wait, he appointed a task force that will do nothing. He's trotting out the same empty rhetoric that most culture war douche Republicans do. He used the Dallas mayor job as a stepping stone. I'm sure he's already licked Abbott's wheels over school vouchers since he's a Greenhill prick. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

Since the little power he had was positional, and since he has no personal influence with council members, he’s harmless.

His lame duck tenure will be spent positioning himself for higher office as a Republican and being dragged to hell and back by Democratic constituencies in Dallas.

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I doubt there will be a huge groundswell for that. He's done nothing but give the business class whatever they want which is why he was re-elected. He's one vote out of 15 so he's basically just a figurehead that randomly shows up to shit on Dallas. The Dallas mayor is and will always be weak. He talks shit about liberal policies around things like homelessness and has done next to nothing on that issue. He's proposed nothing to help alleviate the problem and he never will because he never will because he can use that as a wedge against evil libs. Oh wait, he appointed a task force that will do nothing. He's trotting out the same empty rhetoric that most culture war douche Republicans do. He used the Dallas mayor job as a stepping stone. I'm sure he's already licked Abbott's wheels over school vouchers since he's a Greenhill prick. 

I would only do it to remind these jellyfish politicians that this shit isn’t and shouldn’t be tolerated. You were elected by the Dem party apparatus. If you don’t want to be one anymore, resign and run off to your GOP buddies 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I would only do it to remind these jellyfish politicians that this shit isn’t and shouldn’t be tolerated. You were elected by the Dem party apparatus. If you don’t want to be one anymore, resign and run off to your GOP buddies 

yep, the mayoral election was less than 6 months ago. Be a man and declare your new found truth prior to the election.

Instead he’s now the token interview on Fox News about libruls ruining cities. 

I think some of you might be a bit too Texas-focused in your views. I guarantee you that most outside Texas have no idea about the particulars of the mayoral race being non-partisan or what actual power the mayor has. It does, however, play well into amplifying the national rhetoric on Democrats and crime; both of the local variety and immigration. A Black mayor doing this is an added bonus, when mixed with the criticisms leveled at the White House from other Black mayors of the same political party, from similar cities. If there is one thing you can learn from Republicans; they know how to play the long game. Witness Roe v. Wade, and Affirmative Action. I'm not talking about the MAGA wing of the party, but the people who put time and effort into making groups like the Federalist effective machines. People thought busing migrants to Democratic cities was a stunt, and now that stunt is turning into a quagmire that Democrats don't seem to have an answer for, and will only get more intense just in time for elections.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas is a lost cause
There no "serve" in Texas politics. It's all a cash grab through power grabs. 100 percent self serving. Hence the major cracks in the system such as threats to shut down the power grid for people on hot days in Texas. It's a failing state for it's citizens. 

Uhh basically this describes all of American politics. It’s 100% corrupt in every state city and nationally. Both parties operate synergistically together to fuck us for their enrichment.

6 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Uhh basically this describes all of American politics. It’s 100% corrupt in every state city and nationally. Both parties operate synergistically together to fuck us for their enrichment.

One is considerably worse than the other at the present time.

• Hook 'Em 7

30 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Go team!!!

Fatty, do you really want to defend prosecuting high school teachers for teaching Anne Frank's diary, or for greenlighting an AG to use the state as his personal law office?

Just seems like a strange attack given the recent culture warring by your betters