Texas vs houston - 3:00pm on Fox

Pancho

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Cool. Now lets bitch about Christian Jones and Jonathon Brooks and other players who aren't the problem.

Well, now it's a problem I guess, because he's hurt. 

Having one of the worst red zone offenses in the power 5 with that QB and those weapons is inexcusable. 

Yesterday they played the worst defense in the big 12 with the worst 3rd down defense and went 3 of 12 on 3rd and 1 of 5 on third and short. 

The offense has underachieved. Especially given their opponent's level in the majority of the games. Especially concerning since they haven't adjusted to many of the same schemes and concepts that are stopping them for large stretches of games week after week. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

One thing that I keep wondering is why other teams throw a ton of crossing patterns at our defense, while our offense doesn’t seem to do much of that. Our defense could not handle those crossing patterns. 

I’m no professional but I feel like we run a cover 2/3 zone a lot then don’t get any quick pressure on the qb. Gives one wr time to take a defender out of their zone and another fill right in.

Or LB/safeties wind up covering slots if we go man and can’t keep up.

50 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Glad we will never have to visit that city unless it's a choice to play Rice in NRG. 

I like your confidence that we’ll do better than being relegated to the Texas TaxAct Bowl in the future. I’m afraid I’m not as sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

One thing that I keep wondering is why other teams throw a ton of crossing patterns at our defense, while our offense doesn’t seem to do much of that. Our defense could not handle those crossing patterns. 

because other teams don't give us all day to throw

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A big issue on 3rd down is Sark has developed this mentality of just get to 4th and manageable. 

He needs to stop worrying so much about getting in desirable 4th down spots and convert on 3rd down. 

yes, call the first down play on 3rd and long, someone should tell him that

The thing I am surprised the most about is that we just don't seem to run off tackle consistently. If they use the 3-3-5 to clog the middle and expect us to bounce out and be cleaned up by their back end, why not do more designed off-tackle with a puller to then have OL in space crushing their smaller backers/secondary in space?

Sark seems very reliant on the inside zone and rarely strays away from it. Most outside runs are gadget-ish plays with our athletes vs Brooks.

Maybe I am a fool, but if we have the talent advantage at RB and a some mobile OL, why not start abusing the edges with Brooks more?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Slow and poor safeties when Taaffe and Crawford are out there combined with linebackers weak in coverage outside of Ford. Add in PK having zero confidence in his corners playing 6-11 yds off the ball combined with bailout technique and those are just wide open routes. 

Add in not much of a consistent pass rush which allows the time for the receivers to cross the field and it all adds up to just easy conversions. 

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

The thing I am surprised the most about is that we just don't seem to run off tackle consistently. If they use the 3-3-5 to clog the middle and expect us to bounce out and be cleaned up by their back end, why not do more designed off-tackle with a puller to then have OL in space crushing their smaller backers/secondary in space?

Sark seems very reliant on the inside zone and rarely strays away from it. Most outside runs are gadget-ish plays with our athletes vs Brooks.

Maybe I am a fool, but if we have the talent advantage at RB and a some mobile OL, why not start abusing the edges with Brooks more?

Guessing the inside zone is what most looks like the play action and he needs those to match up for the PA to be most effective. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Our secondary has not been good, they seem lost at times and a few as have been mentioned seem slow.  It is a bad combination when you couple that with the fact that the Big 12 is simply not going to call a holding penalty on the offense of our opponents with any regularity.  That wouldn't fix the secondary issues but it would certainly help them.  You get a holding call or two a game and all of a sudden as an offense you are way behind the sticks and it's just not easy to overcome on a consistent basis....not to mention once you call it a time or two all the offensive lineman are a little less willing to engage to the degree they are in bear hugs, headlock and all the other stuff we are routinely seeing that is completely negating any kind of pass rush.   Pass rush and coverage is complimentary and when one is completely negated and the other is mediocre it's not good.

At this point not even gonna bitch about it.  It's gonna be what it's gonna be.  Sark and PK have to understand this and figure out what they can do to work around it.  It's kind of like when the ump is calling pitches a ball off the plate outside strikes consistently.  Yea the first time you go up to bat it sucks but if he's gonna keep doing it any coach is gonna tell you, "you know what his zone is.....adjust".  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Can't remember their nose's name but he was bullying Majors all game. 

I give Majors credit for simply being out there after his injury.  The word is that the staff had hoped to sit him against Houston.  Whether he was 70% or 80% -- I don't know.  But I do know he wasn't 100%.  

That said, on the occasional play when I focused on Majors, he seemed to be doing decent work.  I'm sure there were probably other plays where he checked the negative box, and I just didn't happen to focus on them.  But I don't know if I buy the notion that he was getting bullied "all game."  Frankly, I think Connor is the bigger problem in the run game.  And our tackles didn't exactly cover themselves in glory on Saturday, either.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Guessing the inside zone is what most looks like the play action and he needs those to match up for the PA to be most effective. 

Yes.  We've had this same discussion before.  He is never going to abandon inside zone.  Most of his downfield RPO and PA atrack is built around it.  He's gonna be fine with teams overplaying it if it leaves Sanders wide open or we can get 20 yards off a simple screen pass.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

You can not put Crawford out there against passing teams. It’s awful. It’s worse than it seems to the naked eye because he oftentimes misses assignments so badly that it looks like it is the fault of another player. Nope, it’s Crawford. 

Taffe and Williams are the best duo we have at the moment. Thompson got straight up abused on the drive right before halftime. Then their last drive of the game Crawford had one of poorest attempts at a tackle I’ve seen this year and shortly after was replaced by Williams. 

Dlisappointed the media oligarchs in Bellmont have not released the post game press conf on TexasSports or YouTube (that I can find).   An abbreviated version was on Texas Game Day Final but seemed to be far from the completed version.

UH, USC, and others are available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skipper said:

He was not good yesterday after the first quarter.  There isn't any other way to spin it.  I'm not sure if Houston started doing something on defense he wasn't expecting or what but he absolutely could not process or progress through reads and just checked down over and over.   Like someone said yesterday, if Sark doesn't scheme a WR open that he recognizes pre-snap he doesn't process well.  I don't have any idea how that is going to translate to NFL QB and I'm betting scouts see games like yesterday and second guess his multi-million dollar arm.

Everyone was bitching about Sark "stalling" with the offense but we have better players that should win every matchup  at TE/WR and Quinn just turtled.   I know he was injured at that point, but the goal line series where he threw the ball away twice with numerous open receivers was just bad.  On the 3rd down, he could have actually just checked down and Brooks walks in.

Quinn was 23 for 29 including those last two misses.  He could have been better, but he wasn't bad until that last drive.  He was completing 85%.

• Hook 'Em 1

Crawford and Taffe on the field together is literally a fireable offense

They were the starters and played the first two possessions. Zero points scored.

I’d be curious to see points per possession based on the combos.

And of course, they were not both on the field in the final possession versus OU.

It is interesting to know the rationale of rotations.

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A big issue on 3rd down is Sark has developed this mentality of just get to 4th and manageable. 

He needs to stop worrying so much about getting in desirable 4th down spots and convert on 3rd down. 

what is getting tiresome running straight in to the wall on 2nd down

it felt like we were 3rd and long because we were wasting 2nd down way too often

would like to see a chart of running yards per down, "left/middle/right"

21 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

This is why Kirk Herbstreit called us a cesspool. We are 5-1. When we win 49-14 this is going to be a stupid ass post. Oklahoma barely beat ucf today. They are still undefeated, a win is a win. It doesn’t matter if you like it or it was stylish. Just win. 

49 to 14 was close

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Quinn was fine. UH saw the game film of us struggling vs a 3 high and tried it after QE lit them up in the 1st. Early in the game QE caught them in single high and dropped the throw in the bucket to Worthy. The DB even tried to bail out at the snap but Worthy just smoked him. The safety was too slow. I am pretty sure they thought QE couldn't do that. Well that was the last of that.

UH 3 man front is designed to bottle up the A and B gaps and spill any runs outside where the alley defenders can clean them up. That is where the problems started. They were handling our running game staying in their 3 man front, which allowed them to drop 8 into coverage. Not only that, they were getting us in long yardage situations as well. So QE was throwing into the teeth of 8 defenders.

Couple that with the fact that Sark's playbook doesn't really allow for receivers sitting down in zones. So you are trying to throw into tiny windows to moving targets. QE was checking down rather than take the risky throw and turn it over. Simple as that. Like I said. The real problem was us not being able to run on a 3 man front. Can't remember their nose's name but he was bullying Majors all game. We got no push in the interior line, and when you do that vs that defense you allow their entire defensive playbook to be open. You have to be able to run on a 3 man front. Period. We had the same problem last year with TCU. Then they went and played Georgia and tried to run out there with a 3 man front and Georgia ran for 250 yards. That's what you do when teams try and do that. Unless your IOL is soft.

Or recovering from leg injuries. I think this OL is good and the offense overall is elite, but we keep sending guys out there when they’re not 100% and they play like it 

48 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If they're giving you those check downs, and it's picking up 5-10 yards per play, why on earth would you stop doing that? 

That doesn’t fit their narrative sir. It’s the same thing as saying we are a lucky, shitty 6-1, whatever the fuck that could possibly mean. Miserable is as miserable does I guess. 

13 minutes ago, B00M said:

Or recovering from leg injuries. I think this OL is good and the offense overall is elite, but we keep sending guys out there when they’re not 100% and they play like it 

Some validity to this. I think coaches didn't like what they saw last week so that was a no go, and the second option was also not looking good due to injury. So they decided to see what JM had. I think they were a little worried about UH's nose abusing the freshman. I think that's why they played JM.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

he's getting locked in to certain tendencies in-game

2nd down straight up the middle in to the wall for 5 or 6 absolutely wasted downs in the 2nd half yesterday

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The real problem was us not being able to run on a 3 man front. Can't remember their nose's name but he was bullying Majors all game. We got no push in the interior line, and when you do that vs that defense you allow their entire defensive playbook to be open. You have to be able to run on a 3 man front. Period.

gagree but it wasn't working and it was clear it wasn't going to work the way we were trying to do it so those were wasted downs

the o-line has disintegrated in a month

the fuck

7 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

THIS!  pull guys all over the place!  Sark has a jedi route tree - where are the jedi jap plays on the ground???????

we're vanilla vanilla when we should be the guns of the fucking navarone

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

After beating Alabama with that great performance? After being the number 1 QB recruit in his class in his 3rd and probably final year of college with one of the top receiver corps, a mid season first team All American RB, and a coach that got Mac fucking Jones the Heisman and a NC?

Yes. I was expecting a Heisman finalist if not winning season. That wasn't unrealistic after week 2. It's not a stretch to say he and the offense as a whole have underachieved. 

Ewers has a golden arm, but he's not intelligent enough to make the most of a Sark offense.  He cannot process information quickly enough, plain and simple.

He can hit the guy the play was schemed for, and if that guy isn't open, he can check down.  But he has no idea who's going to be open based on a pre-snap read or reading the defense at the snap.

He takes the snap, checks the primary and then checks down.  Teams have begun to scheme the defense to take away his initial read and it shows.  His success is coming from having some absolute weapons at WR and a great arm.

Mac Jones could maximize a Sark offense, which is why it seemed like he was always throwing to a wide open WR vs. having to force throws into tight coverage.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

if we have to waste 2nd down on 5 or 6 series for zero gain guaranteed to get them to bite on PA then we are over-reliant on PA

baxter looked great

brooks is badass

USE THE FUCKING WEPPONS

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Ewers has a golden arm, but he's not intelligent enough to make the most of a Sark offense.  He cannot process information quickly enough, plain and simple.

He can hit the guy the play was schemed for, and if that guy isn't open, he can check down.  But he has no idea who's going to be open based on a pre-snap read or reading the defense at the snap.

He takes the snap, checks the primary and then checks down.  Teams have begun to scheme the defense to take away his initial read and it shows.  His success is coming from having some absolute weapons at WR and a great arm.

Mac Jones could maximize a Sark offense, which is why it seemed like he was always throwing to a wide open WR vs. having to force throws into tight coverage.

Mac Jones had 15 minutes to throw the fucking ball and he was throwing to wide open receivers

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if we have to waste 2nd down on 5 or 6 series for zero gain guaranteed to get them to bite on PA then we are over-reliant on PA

baxter looked great

brooks is badass

USE THE FUCKING WEPPONS

when that big ass fucker for houston went out on the cart we immediately could run up the middle, not sure what would have happened if he didn't get hurt

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Mac Jones had 15 minutes to throw the fucking ball and he was throwing to wide open receivers

Well ... I did say 

I'm not dogging Ewers in the slightest.  He has one of the best arms in the game.  He throws one of the most catchable balls out there; it's Joe Burrow-esque.  His arm talent alone is what makes him a 9/10 QB.  What's keeping him from being a 10/10 Heisman shoe-in is his inability to process information quickly enough.  If he could, he'd be throwing to wide open WRs too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

when that big ass fucker for houston went out on the cart we immediately could run up the middle, not sure what would have happened if he didn't get hurt

That big fuck and 16 of his teammates are from junior colleges.   Plus 27 FBS transfers.     Holgorsen went all in on that shit.  Not that it matters.  

9 hours ago, oh_snap said:

I like your confidence that we’ll do better than being relegated to the Texas TaxAct Bowl in the future. I’m afraid I’m not as sure. 

aggy has that slot in the SEC bowl hierarchy locked down.  I believe Sankey gave it to them in exchange for them voting for us.