Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My friend involved with the org has been saying for a few months that they're going to do another round of layoffs/not renewing contracts of many in the analytics roles. Not sure if it is discussed here or known, but if it isn't, it's something to look for as Crane and Bagwell seem determined to backslide the organization into also-ran status. Hoping that's all incorrect.

Fuck Crane if he does that. How stupid do you have to be to turn your back on what made your team into a dynasty. Fuck Bagwell.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TejasPedro said:

The Rangers fanbase is much like if someone went into the lab mixed Texas Tech, Aggies and SMU fans and just  a pinch of horn frog and made one giant A-hole fanbase

If you just took all the Aggies that were raised in Dallas, you’d have it.  Unjustified pride.  Unjustified optimism.  Adjustable memory.  Loser rich kid mentality.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

My friend involved with the org has been saying for a few months that they're going to do another round of layoffs/not renewing contracts of many in the analytics roles. Not sure if it is discussed here or known, but if it isn't, it's something to look for as Crane and Bagwell seem determined to backslide the organization into also-ran status. Hoping that's all incorrect.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

NM. They just said that an assistant GM and the farm director were already fired a week ago and thought that it had been announced. It’s unlikely that the analysts getting cut will rank high enough to get announced. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

NM. They just said that an assistant GM and the farm director were already fired a week ago and thought that it had been announced. It’s unlikely that the analysts getting cut will rank high enough to get announced. 

Step Brothers Mf GIF by reactionseditor

Okay, the analysts were classified as bloat. Brown has laid them off and is now bringing in his own people up and down the org chart. The Bagwell stuff isn’t any different than what we knew previously. He was working me up. 

Maybe we don’t have to suck again. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Step Brothers Mf GIF by reactionseditor

Okay, the analysts were classified as bloat. Brown has laid them off and is now bringing in his own people up and down the org chart. The Bagwell stuff isn’t any different than what we knew previously. He was working me up. 

Maybe we don’t have to suck again. 

dont-give-me-hope.gif

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The ironic and therefore extra irritating part being that analytics nerds realized how good Bagwell was well before outdated thinking "baseball men."

It is ironic.  Joe Morgan is another who seemed to hate analytics.  Despite everything about his game being an antalytic's wet dream.

Bagwell and a bunch of other Astros from his era used to hunt at my family's ranch multiple times per year and we got to know them well.  I liked most of those guys.  Most of the ones I met are meatheads though and really aren't that smart baseball wise.  The pitchers especially cared little about how good the position players hit.  It was all about defense.  They would have taken Adam Everett over Alex Rodriguez and Ausmus over Posada/

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Most of the ones I met are meatheads

Okay, now you have to name names; one of them has to be Oswalt.  

David Laurilia on fangraphs interviews players and it’s always about their stuff; pitch mix, what are they working on, etc.  France (my whipping boy today) had a really great one a few months back and he came off super savvy.  

I’m sure it’s somewhat emblematic of how much analytics has penetrated the locker room, but it’s nice to hear a pitcher talk about squeezing another 200 rpm on his two seamer rather than the previous generation’s failure to show any understanding of what made them great.  

I will say that I've talked to Berkman a lot over the years, back when I was doing radio with 1560 and those guys he was always around and I've seen him a bunch since then at events and other stuff.  He has an excellent baseball mind and I've always thought he would be a great manager in the bigs.  Don't think he wants that much responsibility though.  

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah if Dusty moved on of his own volition that doesn’t mean we want to be a smart org again it just means Dusty wanted to move on. 

• Rage+1 2

44 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

Pretty sure Strom thought dusty was an idiot and that’s why he left. Or at least that’s what I want to believe. 
so maybe he would come back with the right hire. 

That was some of the speculation at the time. Doubtful anyone will ever know for sure

https://climbingtalshill.com/2021/11/12/astros-4-thoughts-brent-strom-diamondbacks/

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Adam Everett's first two full seasons as an Astro:
.265 avg., .319 OBP, .701 OPS

Jeremy Pena's first two full seasons as an Astro:
.250 avg., .307 OBP, .710 OPS.

Worth noting that Everett was playing in an environment much more favorable to hitters. His highest wRC+ in a season was 81, 65 for his career. Peña is right at 100 for both seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Ichabod said:

From my clubhouse source……. 

Good riddance Dusty, pretty much everyone inside the organization can’t stand the guy.

Manager choice #1 is AJ

#2 is Espada. Don’t shoot please!

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Odds to replace Dusty Baker as Astros manager (via @BovadaOfficial), should Dusty not return:

Joe Espada -200

Will Venable +700

Buck Showalter +700

Don Mattingly +700

A.J. Hinch +700

Craig Counsell +750

Walt Weiss +750

I would absolutely love this, but I get why Crane would be hesitant to instantly bring the cheating scandal back into the forefront of sports media.  It's not a 100% baseball decision.  Let's just hand it to Espada and keep moving down the road.

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I hate barstool …

I mean at least they are admitting 2017 was legit if thats when they say the Dynasty started. Its not over but it defiantly did start in 2017...

Anywho this has gotta be the most painful bounce out of the playoffs as an Astros fan I can think of ever...can't quite put my finger on why....

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I would absolutely love this, but I get why Crane would be hesitant to instantly bring the cheating scandal back into the forefront of sports media.  It's not a 100% baseball decision.  Let's just hand it to Espada and keep moving down the road.

This. Just promoted Espada and keep this going. I have confidence he’d actually employ a death lineup rather than Dusty trusting his dusty old gut. One fucking time we got the death lineup! ONCE

• Like 1