Week 9, 2023: Kansas State @ Texas

Wulaw Horn

I don’t think I’ve heard one analyst or pod bro (not the low rated ones) pick Texas for this weekend. 

I mean I get it—we could have lost to Houston, have red zone struggles, and Quinn is out. They all like the upside of MM but question if that’s enough against Kansas State. 

So the 40% of our fans picking us to lose have some company, and that’s fine. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I don’t think I’ve heard one analyst or pod bro (not the low rated ones) pick Texas for this weekend. 

I mean I get it—we could have lost to Houston, have red zone struggles, and Quinn is out. They all like the upside of MM but question if that’s enough against Kansas State. 

We will win.  We have better talent and will play better Saturday morning.   After we beat them, Houston quit.  They were giant pussies vs KSU.   In the KSU vs. Houston game, Houston was going just through the motions at a half ass level at best.  I hope KSU thinks they will get the same Texas team at DKR this Saturday that played in Houston a couple of weeks ago.  They will be so fucked.  It is go time this weekend if this team wants a CFP chance.  They will play like it too.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

This game won't come down to QB play. Can we stop the option? They'll test it early and often. They run the majority of their stuff to the edges, so I think we'll see plenty of the 4-3 looks with wide linebacker alignments. If they don't get the edge consistently, will they be able to move our interior guys up the middle often enough to keep the chains moving?

Neither guy seems to handle the blitz well either. Make them hit passes downfield with pressure in their face. 

I'm starting to think the entire game comes down to their OL vs our defensive front.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm starting to think the entire game comes down to their OL vs our defensive front.

Think it’s the other way around. Texas OL controls the game and they’re in business. Struggle to run the ball and have Maalik in a bunch of third and longs, that’s how the offense stalls and the defense wears out.

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Think it’s the other way around. Texas OL controls the game and they’re in business. Struggle to run the ball and have Maalik in a bunch of third and longs, that’s how the offense stalls and the defense wears out.

I agree that our OL has to block their 3 down look, but we're gonna throw a lot of looks at them and we can't rely on efficiency there. KSU also blitzes often enough and they get home, so I have a hard time seeing us sustaining 8+play drives due to either penalties or sacks. We also haven't been an efficient running team this year.

We just need to score enough, but we won't have the chance to if we can't get them off the field. More drives on offense is how we win.

They will likely look to choke the clock with methodical drives. Their WRs and RBs block pretty well, and they pull all kinds of motion to make it easier for the eventual ball carrier to get the edge with blockers. This feels like a Watts game, Manny and Brooks can rotate on the other side. I could see us going heavy edges too.

Edited by Atticus

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I agree that our OL has to block their 3 down look, but we're gonna throw a lot of looks at them and we can't rely on efficiency there. KSU also blitzes often enough and they get home, so I have a hard time seeing us sustaining 8+play drives due to either penalties or sacks. We also haven't been an efficient running team this year.

We just need to score enough, but we won't have the chance to if we can't get them off the field. More drives on offense is how we win.

They will likely look to choke the clock with methodical drives. Their WRs and RBs block pretty well, and they pull all kinds of motion to make it easier for the eventual ball carrier to get the edge with blockers. This feels like a Watts game, Manny and Brooks can rotate on the other side. I could see us going heavy edges too.

KS will do everything they can to stop our run and make MM throw the ball.  If we control their run and not give up long running plays, we will be fine.

Did you know that Kansas State's offense coordinator Collin Klein was a 2 star WR recruit and started his first collegiate game at QB against Texas in 2010? Collin went 2/4 passing for 9 yards (That was it, no one else threw a pass) and the Kansas State Wildcats won 39-14. 

Collin Klein went on to beat Texas 2 more times in 11/12 and has as many Big12 Football championships (As a player) as Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Colt McCoy. 

Collin Klein also has a Big12 Football championship as an OC last year (2022). 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 15

31 minutes ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Collin Klein went on to beat Texas 2 more times in 11/12 and has as many Big12 Football championships (As a player) as Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Colt McCoy. 

Therefore he was a better player and a more valuable human being than those three and I am grateful you were able to clear that up. 

KState looks legit. Not sure how they managed to lose to OSU, and the Misery game didn't appear to be a completely level playing field. Hope we can continue to occupy space in Klieman's head. Expecting a pretty good fight. Winning is absolutely crucial to our journey, and I think we can do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Collin Klein has as many Big12 Football championships (As a player) as Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Colt McCoy.

Yeah, well, when thinking about Collin Klein makes them sad, I suppose Vince and Colt will just have to cry themselves to sleep with their national championship rings and NFL fortunes.  Ricky just has that silly Heisman trophy to keep him warm at night.  I honestly don't know how they get through the day with the weight of Collin Klein's accomplishments bearing down on them. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Pancho said:

If I were an analyst I would pick K-State too. If the underdog wins you can say “Told you!  I’m the smartest guy on the radio.”  If Texas wins you say “Well of course they won, they’re the better, higher-ranked team” and quietly and quickly change the subject. 
Is there a way to see how Vegas is betting, as far as who wins?  If I gambled, this would be the game where I’d put money on Texas. Texas wins, and the kids get Christmas presents for once. KSU wins and I lose money, but I get a really warm feeling, like the time I pissed my pants in a dark suit. 

If I were an analyst I would pick K-State too. If the underdog wins you can say “Told you!  I’m the smartest guy on the radio.”  If Texas wins you say “Well of course they won, they’re the better, higher-ranked team” and quietly and quickly change the subject. 
Is there a way to see how Vegas is betting, as far as who wins?  If I gambled, this would be the game where I’d put money on Texas. Texas wins, and the kids get Christmas presents for once. KSU wins and I lose money, but I get a really warm feeling, like the time I pissed my pants in a dark suit. 

The line has moved a bit toward K State. I have no hard data but that implies some money coming in on that side
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

They have the more proven QB and coach.   That's not to say MM won't be better than Howard/Other white guy at some point but not right now.  Those two items are very hard to overcome.

I thought they were just playing the running QB? Is their veteran back? It’s the running QB who makes me the most nervous. 

12 hours ago, Pancho said:

Most of the guys I watched on YouTube picked Texas. I think it was RJ Young, another FOX backed guy, and ON3. They like our run game vs their defense and our defensive line vs their run game. 

7 hours ago, Tex Long said:

KState looks legit. Not sure how they managed to lose to OSU, and the Misery game didn't appear to be a completely level playing field. Hope we can continue to occupy space in Klieman's head. Expecting a pretty good fight. Winning is absolutely crucial to our journey, and I think we can do it.

I’ve got bad news, they basically took away short/intermediate passes and dared Kstate to beat them over the top. Howard threw 3 picks. Avery Johnson didn’t play. 

13 hours ago, Pancho said:

YALL are worried about the wrong team. It’s 2 teams left on our schedule I’m worried about and K-State is not one rather Murphy starts or not. 

7 hours ago, Tex Long said:

That’s Because Okie Lite is actually a decent team and so is Mizzou., so tell me who has K-State beaten that’s actually good??? again why are yall so hell bent on K-State coming into DKR and winning when they haven’t done so yet?? 

If Murphy plays a cleaner game we win. Ewers was good and I’d rather him but what games has the QB went out there put the team on his back and won it???? Bama, maybe but I’ll say more so the defense won us that game. This team can win without Murphy being all world. He just needs to keep the ball in our possession 

Edited by D3zii

40 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Maybe it’s Collin Klein betting all the millions he earned playing in the NFL.

9 hours ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Did you know that Kansas State's offense coordinator Collin Klein was a 2 star WR recruit and started his first collegiate game at QB against Texas in 2010? Collin went 2/4 passing for 9 yards (That was it, no one else threw a pass) and the Kansas State Wildcats won 39-14. 

Collin Klein also has a Big12 Football championship as an OC last year (2022). 

Kstate beat Texas to help them down the road of this retched 13 year journey.  CK was part of those teams.  He was a good running QB in a running QB system in college. Congrats.  He couldn't get a contract much less playing time in the NFL because he was a shitty thrower.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1639341-collin-klein-doesnt-receive-contract-offer-from-houston-texans

So CK went to the CFL where he signed a contract and was cut two months later after proving again he was a shitty thrower.  Here was his coach's thoughts on the great CK after his first and only preseason game appearance:

“I like his deep ball,” Dinwiddie told the Gazette. “He turns it over well. But there’s obviously some limitations passing. His throwing motion’s a little bit different. When I first saw him throw, I wasn’t really impressed by him.

“During the season — if he’s around — we’ll definitely put a package together for him. Obviously, he runs like a deer.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20161203183043/http://themercury.com/articles/collin-klein-released-by-cfl-team

6 hours ago, RabidM said:

Yeah, well, when thinking about Collin Klein makes them sad, I suppose Vince and Colt will just have to cry themselves to sleep with their national championship rings and NFL fortunes.  Ricky just has that silly Heisman trophy to keep him warm at night.  I honestly don't know how they get through the day with the weight of Collin Klein's accomplishments bearing down on them. 

https://sports.ha.com/itm/football-collectibles/others/1998-heisman-memorial-trophy-presented-to-university-of-texas-longhorns-running-back-ricky-williams/a/50019-53001.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

11 hours ago, Atticus said:

Can we stop the option? They'll test it early and often...   I think we'll see plenty of the 4-3 looks with wide linebacker alignments. If they don't get the edge consistently, will they be able to move our interior guys up the middle often enough to keep the chains moving?

Neither guy seems to handle the blitz well either. Make them hit passes downfield with pressure in their face. 

If Texas goes big on defense to stop the run, hopefully PK limits the number of times he takes Barron out of the game.  Move him to CB or possibly even play him at safety.

Any news on how healthy Catalon is ???

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Per FCB:

-Maalik Murphy did not practice Tuesday (injury). Returned Wednesday.

-Sanders tweaked his ankle early in the week and Christian Jones did not finish a practice 

-Burke had a knee scope last week and has an outside shot to play Saturday but should be full go by TCU

-Ewers has an outside shot to be back next week but Iowa State might be more realistic 

-Catalon is still at least a week away from even being cleared to practice 

Yay!

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 4