Shogun

CooterBrown

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

erection GIF

I was browsing disney plus late last night and it was up then, thought about starting it but in a brief moment of clarity decided against it as I was several glasses of wine into the evening

I watched the first 2 episodes that were released today.  I really enjoyed them.  I didn't watch the 1980 version so I have no basis of comparison to it.  The "Anjin" actor I felt did well.  He seems like he is trying to be Tom Hardy.  Hiroyuki Sanada is great as always.  Looking forward to the rest of the show. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Plorant said:

I watched the first 2 episodes that were released today.  I really enjoyed them.  I didn't watch the 1980 version so I have no basis of comparison to it.  The "Anjin" actor I felt did well.  He seems like he is trying to be Tom Hardy.  Hiroyuki Sanada is great as always.  Looking forward to the rest of the show. 

I binged the 1980 one over the weekend and felt like the new one is far superior so far. Part of that, I'm sure, is that the acting style is totally different and more believable in the new one. The actors in the old one felt like over-the-top stage performers that would've been stylistically dated even by 1980 standards, which frankly took me out of the story a few times. It felt a bit like watching The Ten Commandments or something else like that from the 1950s, so this is a welcome update on that front.

Other than that, the continuity also flows better in the new one, and the subtitles (of which there are A LOT) allow the viewer to understand better what the hell is going on from the perspective of the Japanese, especially in understanding their motives. In the old one, there were long scenes where the Japanese would talk, and you'd have no idea what they were saying except by watching Richard Chamberlain's reactions. I'm guessing American audiences are much more receptive to subtitles and captioning nowadays, so that's another plus for it.

I never read the book, so I don't know which one is more loyal to the original text. Some scenes are wholly different, and events are switched/jumbled around. If you haven't seen the old one, you'd never know. 

The acting, sets, etc., are also all well done. This should be pretty, pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

is that the acting style is totally different and more believable in the new one. The actors in the old one felt like over-the-top stage performers that would've been stylistically dated even by 1980 standards, which frankly took me out of the story a few times.

Richard Chamberlain over-the-top?  Surely you jest, the man was in Centennial, Shogun, and Thorn Birds, three of the biggest limited series in the 70s/80s, plus he was Jason Bourne in The Bourne Identity and he was in King Solomon’s Mines, and in all of those he played….okay, he played the same character, never mind.

On a side note, he’s still alive, which I didn’t realize.  

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Richard Chamberlain over-the-top?  Surely you jest, the man was in Centennial, Shogun, and Thorn Birds, three of the biggest limited series in the 70s/80s, plus he was Jason Bourne in The Bourne Identity and he was in King Solomon’s Mines, and in all of those he played….okay, he played the same character, never mind.

On a side note, he’s still alive, which I didn’t realize.  

I actually didn't have him in mind when saying that. It was more so the surrounding cast of characters, especially the English-speaking speaking ones. Seriously, click the link I provided to watch the original a bit, and you'll see what I mean.

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes but

Hide contents

I missed the whole thing with the baby, did they kill it and if so why?

Spoiler

We assume they did. Dad honor kills his baby and himself. To end bloodline  but the wife stays alive 

• Hook 'Em 1

Caught up today and this show rips.  It's wild to think to back then when people just didn't know other cultures and languages existed.  I think they convey that very well.  Also really like the church politics intertwined with the palace intrigue of Japan.

On 2/27/2024 at 4:55 PM, Plorant said:

Thank you.  The entire first episode I kept thinking, this guy reminds me of someone, but I couldn't place it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Glad to browse the thread and see the good reactions. I'll let a few more drop and then watch it with my beloved. I read the book more than once and thought the original series was solid.

Same here. In watching the original series and re-reading the original book. Most of the Clavell books are solid reads.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, WBT said:

Haven't watched yet but I heard a review compare it to Japanese Game of Thrones vis a vis the sex and violence.  That seems relevant to my interests.

Only through the first and part of the second, and this is not a bad comparison.  It's been many years since I read the book, and probably 30 since I saw the original series, but damn it's good.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was wondering why I know the actor who plays Toranaga. He was in the Last Samurai with Tom Cruise. He played the top captain who grew to respect Tom Cruise as Cruise became a better samurai.

Hiroyuki Sanada's our Toshiro Mifune for the 21st Century. He doesn't have the comic flourish, but he is terrifying as a fighter. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

A rebirth of the Samurai genre would be a delight. Akira and Toshiro are gone, but there is clearly talent around to carry it off. 

I was disappointed that Westworld didn't use the samurai more. I may have watched  it to the end had they.

A last note: My senior year in high school, The Houston Post printed a review of Seven Samurai and said it was to appear on the PBS channel. Dad was watching TV at the time. I didn't think he'd go for it, but he was open to subtitles and a rare visit to PBS.

We watched almost in awe. Rapt. Rarely speaking. It was new to both of us, and it's a nice low-key but profound memory of my father. 

Exuberance over.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was wondering why I know the actor who plays Toranaga. He was in the Last Samurai with Tom Cruise. He played the top captain who grew to respect Tom Cruise as Cruise became a better samurai.

He’s been in quite a few international productions-if you want to sample one of his Japanese films besides Ringu check out “The Twilight Samurai”. 

It’s not an adaptation of Unforgiven but repeats some of the same themes.  

I’m sure comparisons to The Last Samurai were bound to come up-when I read the Shogun I had Ken Watanabe in my head as Toranaga.  Sanada plays everything so internally. 

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 9:15 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

he was also in LOST

so was Rodrigues

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by nolongerU2horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

so was Rodrigues

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow, I knew he looked familiar.  He’s perfect for the character.  Also, I’m sure it’s partly makeup but it also looks like his deal with Jacob finally lapsed because he held off aging forever.  

• Haha 2

On 2/27/2024 at 4:55 PM, Plorant said:

The "Anjin" actor I felt did well.  He seems like he is trying to be Tom Hardy. 

He was in calm with horses, which is on freevee now but with a different name, and he really reminded me in that of Tom Hardy from The Drop

Watched the first episode. I liked it a lot. For those saying the guy is channeling his inner Tom Hardy I can see that. My first thought was Richard Burton. I don’t know why Burton came to my mind but, that’s what I thought at first.

The commercials though, killer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Watched the first episode. I liked it a lot. For those saying the guy is channeling his inner Tom Hardy I can see that. My first thought was Richard Burton. I don’t know why Burton came to my mind but, that’s what I thought at first.

Yep you nailed it. His voice sounds exactly like Richard Burton. 

On 3/3/2024 at 9:15 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Had to get Hulu.  Tried the commercials w ep 1 and they nearly ruined the damn thing.  

It’s amazing.  The fact it’s based closely on the true story takes it to another level for me.  Story telling with 10 episodes vs a movie or two is night and day difference.  Although I wish we had this stretched over at least 2-3 seasons.  

Posted (edited)

Enjoying this very much. Love the Britain vs. Portugal/Spain/Christians vs. Catholics storyline. The padre in the prison who tells John about the Portuguese bases is the great character actor, Joaquim de Almeida. Excited to watch episode 3 tonight. Mariko, damn. 

Edited by mdmost