Game Week 13, 2023: Texas v OSU championship edition

Wulaw Horn

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Blue has been better at squeezing through traffic than Baxter. Though Baxter definitely has moments where you see what he could be with a little work. I think my primary concern with Blue between the tackles is that he'll get beat down over the course of a game. 

Blue isn't going to get 25-30 carries for that to matter IMO. 

He's on the 10-15 carries workload.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He runs hard. I've written Blue off more times than I can count... and it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, which I will not be doing here. 

I have seen him tip-toe at times between the tackles, when the holes are not huge.. Baxter and Blue are still a work in progress. Texas run game will remain productive, as long as, Worthy and Mitchell are out here and teams have to respect them.. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

Big 12 championship

No. 7 Texas Longhorns vs. No. 18 Oklahoma State Cowboys (Saturday, noon, ABC)

This was simultaneously Mike Gundy's best and worst coaching performance in his 19 years at Oklahoma State. Best: The Cowboys were picked seventh in the preseason Big 12 poll but reached their second Big 12 championship in three seasons. Worst: They were also destroyed by South Alabama and UCF by a combined 78-10, and a lot of the adversity they had to overcome in 2023 was self-inflicted. They start games slowly sometimes, they settle for field goals despite having the best RB in the country, and they give up scoring runs. They've trailed by at least seven points seven times but have come back to win four times.

251.png&w=110&h=110197.png&w=110&h=110

Last week's win over BYU was their masterpiece. They dominated early but settled for field goals, then gave up a 24-0 run to trail by 18 at half. They charged all the way back and took the lead in the final minute but had a PAT blocked, allowing BYU to tie the game with a field goal at the buzzer. And after all that, Gordon made a couple of masterful runs, and the Pokes' defense forced a turnover and won.

Texas, meanwhile, beat BYU by 29. The Longhorns are not without their flaws, but they are the best team OSU has faced. They're eighth in offensive SP+, and while OSU held two other top-10 offenses (Kansas State and OU) under 30 points, the Horns also have easily the best defense on OSU's schedule. They have the best defensive line in the conference (tackle T'Vondre Sweat: Outland finalist) and one of the best run defenses in the country. Their biggest defensive vulnerability has been the occasional big pass play, but OSU doesn't make many of those -- most of its chunk plays come from Gordon. Texas' biggest offensive vulnerability, meanwhile, has been red zone mediocrity, but OSU's 32 field goal attempts certainly hint at the same problem.

The way this season has played out, the best guess for how this will play out is, (a) Quinn Ewers and Texas take a 17-point lead in the second quarter, and (b) someone then goes on a huge run. If OSU can't muck things up and come back, the Horns could win a blowout that reminds the committee of their playoff worthiness. But there would be some poetry in one last OSU comeback, one that allows the Cowboys to have pulled one over on both departing Big 12 programs (OU and Texas) on their way out the door.

Current line: Texas -15.5 (up from -12.5 on Sunday) | SP+ projection: Texas by 16.1 | FPI projection: Texas by 17.0

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/39014352/cfb-championship-sec-cfp-nightmare-washington-oregon-keys-best-bets-more#b12

• Hook 'Em 2

He runs hard. I've written Blue off more times than I can count... and it takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, which I will not be doing here. 

Going into the year it seemed like a Blue transfer was a foregone conclusion but he has consistently impressed. Really hope he ducks around. For as fast and explosive as he is, he also runs a lot harder than you’d expect
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm confused. Apparently another fraternity did it to mess with that fraternity? Why would you pick that specific animal a day before you're playing Texas? 

"No no Jahdae - calm down. It wasn't directed at Texas it was interfraternity shenanigans. Don't worry about the dead Longhorn on their campus."

Horns by 40.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Appalling behavior. If OSU doesn’t do something about them, fuck ‘em. 

Yeah, I’m all for good shit and shenanigans, but this isn’t that. Completely needless. Dummies should get in significant trouble for it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was at the Miss St game the week Jackie castrated a bull at midfield, but this is too much.  That's fucking brutal.  No excuse for that.  They knew exactly what they were doing.  This is no prank to pimp the FH frat.  Someone knew exactly what they were doing and when/why they were doing it the night before Texas game.  Branding a steer, castrating one, I get it, but outright slaughter of an animal left for public viewing is outrageous.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Ol Mikey thinks he has Sark's play calling all figured out.
I bet he is going to gamble on trying to predict run or pass and will get burned.
His defense still has to stop whatever play is called.
He's talking a lot of shit for a short man.
He's about to fuck around and find out.

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/oklahoma-state-cowboys-coach-mike-gundy-predicts-texas-longhorns-steve-sarkisian-stay-in-his-box-big-12-championship

"(Coach Sarkisian) wants to run the football, he's always wanted to run the football," Gundy said. "He's going to max protect. He's going to throw the ball down the field eight to 10 times a game. He's going to max protect and run those guys down the field and try to throw the ball over your head and get big plays. He's going to run his zone play, he's going to run his counter and he's going to stay in his box. That's what he does. He's going to use his tight ends, he's going to move them. He's going to block down. He's going to drag them across our faces the field. That's what he does and he pretty much stays in his box.”

What's actually going to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm confused. Apparently another fraternity did it to mess with that fraternity? Why would you pick that specific animal a day before you're playing Texas? 
"No no Jahdae - calm down. It wasn't directed at Texas it was interfraternity shenanigans. Don't worry about the dead Longhorn on their campus."

Horns by 40.

Looks like a Fraternity prank on their dedicated holiday to doing stupid shit. Texas Hate Week
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Didn't realize Blue was that fast, and that run looked fast as shit live.  With or without Brooks, we've got a great RB room set up for us next season.

He was clocked at 22.3 MPH, which is the fastest that any RB in the country has run this season

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

$10 says this turns out like that girl who carved a backwards B into her face.  FH wanted to kill a Longhorn but didn’t want the heat

Or, the Longhorn got a little wild at the party and they then had to gut it and brand it to take suspicion away from an overdose.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Shout out to the Jam Miller recruitment, btw. Miller's mom was hooking up with a Texas fan who kept pushing the family towards Texas, while simultaneously not treating the mom or Miller well. Bama saw the cracks in that situation and exploited them. 

College football is the best 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Pancho locked this topic