Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

One other thing about the coming battle with Cersei...

Unless she hired Patty Mahomes III and bought some ice spears down at the local WalMarts, how de fuck she gonna fend off two dragons?

Then again, the alliance sucks at utilizing said dragons, so there’s that too...

Dragon fire doesn't have a lot of range. In order to burn stuff, Dany has to put them well within range of catapults and ballistas. Cersei's single ballista already proved effective against a dragon, and she has had time to build 100s of them since. 

Also, Cersei still has a massive rested army and team Dany/John have a couple hundred fucked up people left. 

Cersei should win. She probably won't through some other plot device but she should. 

To everyone bitching about not knowing the Night King's motivation: he's DEATH.  His motivation is to kill.  It doesn't have to be complicated.  They explained earlier in the show that the Children of the Forest created him as a weapon to kill men...he's the Terminator and he's doing his thing.

Even accepting the Night King as so simple-minded leaves plenty of completely unexplained questions.

Why did the NK have such an interest in gory, large-scale art installations? Something that was seemingly so significant that it was featured three different times, including in the series premiere and the season premiere and yet was apparently ultimately meaningless?

Why did the NK decide that NOW was the time to march south after waiting thousands of years?

Accepting Bran’s explanation for why the NK wants to kill Bran, what’s the rush? If he is always able to find Bran, why not stand back and let his wights kill literally everybody else before tracking down Bran? He doesn’t even have his wights take out Theon first? Just because he wants to risk it all in order to flex on Theon?

The NK being immune to everything but dragon glass, having been created by dragon glass, makes some sense. But why can he also be killed by Valyrian steel? He’s immune to the fire of Valyrian dragons so it’s not simply some Valyrian magic shit.
  • Like 6

Unless she hired Patty Mahomes III and bought some ice spears down at the local WalMarts, how de fuck she gonna fend off two dragons?

Then again, the alliance sucks at utilizing said dragons, so there’s that too...

Qyburn’s spent a long time building his dragon bow which is now in the opening credits so presumably it’s going to play a role.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Unless they have multiple scorpions spread around, I would think the dragons could quickly torch Euron's fleet. Seems like those ships will be rather useless for a battle fought at King's Landing. Although maybe the fighting somehow makes its way back to the Iron Islands.

They have something up their sleeves.  When Qyburn approached Bron about killing Jaime and Tyrion, Bronn first guessed she wanted to send him to assassinate Danny.  But Qyburn says "the queen has something else planned for her" or something to that effect.  

Shenanigans are coming. 

So where is jaime’s allegiance now?  He fought the undead like he said he would. Does dani lock him up and use him against Cersei?  Does he slip away and head back to Kong’s landing?  Does he stay with them but turn in a key moment?

I’m not sure he would monkey around and head back to Kong’s Landing...
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

The dark scenes looked like ass on my tv, not because of the tv but because of the low bitrate of the hbonow app I assume.

This was the frikin problem. I am going to try to watch it again today. Hopefully, with less network traffic, the bitrate will improve. 

51 minutes ago, mcbrisket said:

The dark scenes looked like ass on my tv, not because of the tv but because of the low bitrate of the hbonow app I assume.

I had the same issues until I paused it about 10 minutes in and changed my TV setting to Movie. After that it was fine.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/whats-the-best-picture-mode/

i really like what they did with the lyanna mormont character.  also thought the story arcs within the battle were really cool. 

couldn't get over the huge plots holes (facing overwhelming #s you go outside of your walls and launch a cavalry charge into the pitch dark, zombie starks not killing everyone in the crypt, dany and jon looking for the golden snitch while everyone's dying below them, etc).  the people who died and the people who didn't die are pretty much exactly how books 1-4 did not go down so i find that departure george rr martin's cadence being amplified especially over the past season and a half.  also i think i'd hyped it up much more in my head that i should have. 

• Like 3

loved the episode, and maybe professor X has biased me in believing that wheelchair super heroes are badass, but come on Bran do something.  anything.  I was watching and thinking, OK, we will get a nice little warm up warg with Ghost fucking some WW up for a few seconds then Bran will warg the dragon or even a WW and do some major damage.  But no.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Good summary, and I agree with most of it.

The raised dead in the crypts was the biggest disappointment for me.  We all knew it was coming, but I hate inconsistencies like this, especially when they aren't necessary.  The Starks may want to consider upgrading their coffins from papier-mâché to something a little more durable. 

I actually like the Bran character, but he seems wasted for the most part, and his importance to Westeros and/or humankind has not been well developed or explained.  Thus, the Night King's motive was never convincing.  There needed to be a better reason why Bran would be targeted. 

I completely understand why they made everything so dark, but it absolutely lessened the enjoyment, particularly regarding the dragon scenes.

I was disappointed that after a few minutes of silence when the last flaming sword was extinguished, there wasn't a charge of Dothraki wights on Winterfell. 

I don't think he raised the dead in the crypts. The dead just burrowed through like they did when they attacked the 3 eye raven in season 6.

1 hour ago, mcbrisket said:

Yeah.  That's the one downside of HBONOW.  I imagine if I go back and watch again when they aren't flooded things will look a lot better.    I've gone cheap and gotten rid of DirectTV, but HBO looked much better before.  

16 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think you are wrong.

Yeah I think it was supposed to be the dead Starks as well.... they started bursting out of the crypts as soon as the Knight King did his "rise" thing outside and it showed all of the other dead bodies start rising up.

11 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Could have sworn Arya gave Sansa the dagger earlier in the episode. Guess it was a different one. 

Yeah she just gave her a dragon glass dagger, not the Valyerion (sp?) steel dagger that she was carrying.

Several thoughts on the episode:

- I really expected more of the good guys (Brianne, Thormund, Grey Worm, Misandei, Davos) to go down. They’re storylines can be done and no one would have missed them.

- On the other hand, I didn’t expect Melisandre to off herself. I thought she’d die a more gruesome death at the hands on _____.

- I liked how the zombie dragon was leaking fire from the side of its neck where it was bitten.

- There were a lot of Bruce Lee movie type moments during the battle where the heroes were surrounded, but only 1-2 wights attacked at a time. 

- Daenyrus was an idiot for landing her dragon. Like fighting with an A-10 Warthog while still on the tarmac. She obviously has not played enough video games. 

- As someone mentioned earlier. It would have been cool to see Arya rip off a White Walker face while running up to shiv the Night King. 

Cool fucking episode.  For those who could not enjoy it due to wanting more sound military tactics, the history channel is that way.  You are watching the wrong show.

I think the episode was a hell of a technical and directorial achievement.  That was what, at least a 70 minute battle sequence?  Zoomed in and out of scale, transitioned between subdivided acts, tracked several characters through an amazing amount of chaos, held my interest throughout and ratcheted up the tension to a great climax for Arya to dispatch the Night King.  

You could nitpick shit along the way.  Aforementioned military boneheadedness.  It would have had more emotional impact if a major character died.  But who gives a fuck?  This was epic filmmaking at its best.  The whole was so much greater than the sum of its parts.

It Seems that everyone who made it to the north had their better nature come through when it mattered most.  But now, with the dead defeated, they are free to resume their pursuit of power.  It will be interesting to see how the war for the iron throne plays out.

• Like 6

3 episodes left and who knows how much story time will have gone by between episodes, but why on earth would their tattered team be in a rush to Kings Landing? They should be rounding up whatever allies are left in the world and resting their starters/survivors for Game 7.

• Like 3

I want to see Arya's reaction again when talking to the Red Witch this episode. The Red Witch said yes, I said you would kill brown eyes, green eyes, and now blue eyes"

I think that's when it clicked for Arya. The Night King has blue eyes. I totally didn't catch that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

That maester guy is working on it.

I was disappointed that the white walkers essentially did nothing. Would have liked to have seen Brienne, Jaime, Jorah or Greyworm tangle with some of those fucks. They came strolling into the gates like the Horseman of the Apocalypse only to stand behind the Night King looking like the surviving members of Warrant.

Great episode though. When Sansa could hear the guys pleading to open the doors to the crypt, got some goosebumps there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Cool fucking episode.  For those who could not enjoy it due to wanting more sound military tactics, the history channel is that way.  You are watching the wrong show.

The fuck? First off, that sentence on its face is too dumb to give a serious response, and second, the history channel is too busy talking about aliens and showing reality TV to cover any actual history. 

And finally, and i'm gonna *try* to only say this once, but we'll see how this goes:

Shaggy, for years: OTHER PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS DERKA, jesus, can we permaban this fuck already, gah?!?!?!

Also Shaggy, for years: ANYONE WHO DIDNT LIKE THE SAME TV EPISODE AS ME IS WRONG, AND NEEDS TO FUCK OFF AND DIE.

This happens with every major TV show in the internet age. The fanboys refuse to even allow for the idea that the show isn't still at its 100% absolute peak level of greatness, and they butthurtedly attack anyone who says otherwise en masse. This site (or at least it's predecessor) was literally founded so that people could be free to give their actual opinions, regardless of popularity or PC-ness, but a huge portion of the denizens here only like that ideology when it aligns with exactly what they think and feel. Making it to where differing opinions are not allowed is the definition of "Derka'ing" a thread.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Amazing episode. Arya has long been my favorite character and glad it was her and not Snow who killed the NK. Awesome sequence. She’s pure fucking bad ass

one question I had was regarding the dragon glass. Throughout all their other battles with the WW they’ve been killed with conventional weapons and of course re-animated by the NK. I thought dragon glass was supposed to kill these fuckers forever and not allow them to be re-animated.  Could’ve used all that time building a 1/2 mile wide trench and filling it with oil to ignite instead of making those weapons if they had the same result 

The only people that were raised were the northerners that died.  They weren't killed by dragon glass.

3 hours ago, alincoln said:

Shocking that none of Podrick, Tormund, Grey Worm, Varys, Davos, Sam, Gilly, Missandei or Gendry died.  They all could have died and taken little away from the story going forward.  Brienne and The Hound are also secondary characters, but they have obvious arcs left to complete and their deaths would have been surprising.

The main characters at Winterfell were Tyrion, Jaime, Dany, Jon, Sansa, Arya and Bran (Starks, Lannisters and Targs) and they all survived.  Typical for the post-Martin era of the show though.

I suspect Missandie is going to narc on Tyrion/Sansa.  The others will also die in due time.  Just because they're irrelevant, doesn't mean they have to die.

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The fuck? First off, that sentence on its face is too dumb to give a serious response, and second, the history channel is too busy talking about aliens and showing reality TV to cover any actual history. 

And finally, and i'm gonna *try* to only say this once, but we'll see how this goes:

Shaggy, for years: OTHER PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS DERKA, jesus, can we permaban this fuck already, gah?!?!?!

Also Shaggy, for years: ANYONE WHO DIDNT LIKE THE SAME TV EPISODE AS ME IS WRONG, AND NEEDS TO FUCK OFF AND DIE.

This happens with every major TV show in the internet age. The fanboys refuse to even allow for the idea that the show isn't still at its 100% absolute peak level of greatness, and they butthurtedly attack anyone who says otherwise en masse. This site (or at least it's predecessor) was literally founded so that people could be free to give their actual opinions, regardless of popularity or PC-ness, but a huge portion of the denizens here only like that ideology when it aligns with exactly what they think and feel. Making it to where differing opinions are not allowed is the definition of "Derka'ing" a thread.

I think we're all just wondering why the fuck you still watch?  It's like going to the dentist every week when you don't have to.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread