Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

16 hours ago, sushihorn said:

One thing jumps out at me from the bowl games. Big 12 teams pass rushing looks so much better when not crippled by the blatant holding the league allows. WVU averaged just over 2 sacks per regular season game. They had 7 in the bowl game. TTU averaged less than 2 sacks but they put up 6 against Cal. OSU’s vs aggy was slightly above their season average. KU only got 1 sack vs a season average of almost 2.0 but they more than doubled their QBH in the bowl.

With a B1G crew, I expect heavy pressure on the pocket and/or multiple holding calls. I want to see our DL penetrate gaps and read like they have all year but without a figurative monkey on their back. Penix will occasionally have time to go deep. I don’t want him to be able to count on having that time. 

After watching the blow u game last night I’m buying into this theory even more.  Their D-line was getting after it yesterday.  Gives me more confidence our d-line will dominate Washington’s o-line.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wonder if Texas has a package for Arch in this game for a few plays. Washington has had a difficult time defending zone read this year with a mobile QB. 

You are reading into it too much for sure. 

Edited by LebongJames
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ConchoPearlNecklace said:

I hope sweat and Murphy get drafted by Eagles and 49ers. Fuck you penix.

I’m not going to say the would start for both of those teams right now, because I don’t care enough to dig through their depth charts, but they would both play significant snaps for either team.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wonder if Texas has a package for Arch in this game for a few plays. Washington has had a difficult time defending zone read this year with a mobile QB. 

According to the IT guys Arch has been getting 2nd team reps in practice for at least half the season. 

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He's pretty fucking smug in the interviews when anyone asks about Texas. He is about to find out. He and Wash are just more assholes to rape on our revenge tour. 

We play much better with a chip on our shoulder. 

It is sort of magical that our players and coaches all have scores to settle in this game. If we make it to the NC vs Bama, we'd have a score to settle from 2009 as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Always admired how UT teams of all sports have humbly gone about winning from the underdog position.  This seems to be lining up just like the Shoe at night, 2005 Rose Bowl, winning at Tuscaloosa, and the just recent Women's Vball Championship.  Embrace the hate and go on about your business, Horns.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

You want Michigan. That would give Texas the ability to beat all 3 of the playoff teams in one season. I am not sure that has ever been done. 

Not only that, but we will have won't the Big 12, beaten the SEC, Pac and B1G champs in a single season.

I'm fairly certain that's never been accomplished prior either.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, GTJ1982 said:

After watching the blow u game last night I’m buying into this theory even more.  Their D-line was getting after it yesterday.  Gives me more confidence our d-line will dominate Washington’s o-line.  

OU had 5 sacks against a very mobile Qb after averaging less than half that during the season. By the same token, their own pass pro was hamstrung when they were flagged for form tackling rushers. Arizona’s 3 sacks were above their season average plus they forced half a season worth of INTs and 5 games worth of fumble recoveries, one of which was virtually an interception and another due to pressure on the QB. 

This didn’t affect KSU much. They only had 1 sack, though again they faced a running QB. Nor do the Wildcats use a lot of drop back passing so they’ve never relied on holding as a pass pro technique. Texas is in a similar position for different reasons. The Horns make heavy use of play action, moving pockets, bootleg action and other misdirection.

For that reason, I don’t see holding enforcement affecting our offense.  Look at KSU, KU, Tech and WVU, not the Land Thieves. Slightly less time to throw might mean fewer deep shots but that hurts UW a lot more than it hurts us.

Edited by sushihorn
Edited for clarity
  • Hook 'Em 2

Haven’t read the whole thread, but wondered if anyone who isn’t headed to NOLA to watch the game had any suggestion where to watch in Austin.

I’m in town for NYE weekend and wanted to catch the game on a big screen with other Horn fans.  

I was at Scholz’s for the Championship game and it was pretty underwhelming.  

21 hours ago, Izhmash said:

Haven’t read the whole thread, but wanted to offer a PSA for anyone still looking at tickets. 

SeatGeek just sent this coupon code to get 20% off any tickets:  HAPPY24

valid through tuesday

Just tried this and it is 20% up to $25.  Not going to get you very far on tickets.  Every bit helps, but not a huge savings..

6 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

In somewhat fairness to Penix, I believe he was responding to Sweat saying that Washington is just another offensive line to him despite them winning the Joe Moore award. I’m sure their fans are all jerking each other off to that quote just like this board.

Washington’s OL is good because of coaching, precision and teamwork. If they get angry because of bulletin board comments they are likely to perform worse, not better. That’s especially true if they try to get aggressive with bigger, stronger, better athletes on the Texas DL. 

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic