2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

93% chance of cancellation for AISD. It's still going to get down to 15 tonight, maybe reach 32 degrees tomorrow. They don't want to add to people being on the roads or having kids standing and waiting for busses in that.

Bundle Up A Christmas Story GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

How I know this is an old man site.

Guy finds an excuse to obviously post pictures of the pump shed he built with a half-dozen photos. 

Me, looking the photos in depth:

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

AISD said they will announce at 5p today the plans for tomorrow.
What chance will be school be canceled? I'm thinking it's 50/50.
If canceled, "extreme cold" will be one of the reasons listed.

You must be a recruiting analyst

Yeah I’m thinking 80% chance RRISD closed tomorrow at this rate.  It’ll have nothing to do with the roads, which are fine, but the cold + wind chill.  Seems like an every year thing now.  

What I find bemusing is the constant chorus of folks (90% women) flooding the district FB pages with calls to cancel school the next day…citing everything from safety, to lack of proper clothing to crossing guards.  One is a district TA, as if they didn’t just get 3 straight weeks off + a long weekend   

If you feel that strongly just keep your damn kids home and take the unexcused absence.  The rest of us have to work and don’t want to do it with the kiddos running around all day.  

41 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

93% chance of cancellation for AISD. It's still going to get down to 15 tonight, maybe reach 32 degrees tomorrow. They don't want to add to people being on the roads or having kids standing and waiting for busses in that.

And people forget the geographic footprint of AISD and how large it is - it can be hunky dory in a part of the district and icy in the other..  And that the buses have to go over bridges and overpasses.  I don’t know if any schools use their gyms as warming shelters which could have an impact  

I still think It’ll be just a late opening.  

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Yeah I’m thinking 80% chance RRISD closed tomorrow at this rate.  It’ll have nothing to do with the roads, which are fine, but the cold + wind chill.  Seems like an every year thing now.  

What I find bemusing is the constant chorus of folks (90% women) flooding the district FB pages with calls to cancel school the next day…citing everything from safety, to lack of proper clothing to crossing guards.  One is a district TA, as if they didn’t just get 3 straight weeks off + a long weekend   

If you feel that strongly just keep your damn kids home and take the unexcused absence.  The rest of us have to work and don’t want to do it with the kiddos running around all day.  

Funny you mentioned attendance. Don't forget that state funding is based on a district's attendance rate. I'm sure district leaders are thinking about what would happen to funding if they open and only 70% of students show up.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Funny you mentioned attendance. Don't forget that state funding is based on a district's attendance rate. I'm sure district leaders are thinking about what would happen to funding if they open and only 70% of students show up.

That's pretty much what it is all about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

We probably need a voucher system.

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And people forget the geographic footprint of AISD and how large it is - it can be hunky dory in a part of the district and icy in the other..  And that the buses have to go over bridges and overpasses.  I don’t know if any schools use their gyms as warming shelters which could have an impact  

I still think It’ll be just a late opening.  

Except there is no ice

but I expected last Thursday we’d get a  closure Tuesday due to “cold”, but still annoyed 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just got unofficial word through someone who would know that RRISD is canceled Tuesday and a 2-hour delay on Wednesday.  At least that’s the latest word until they announce.  Expect Austin the same.  

Every fucking year now. 

Edited by Homercles

10 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Except there is no ice

but I expected last Thursday we’d get a  closure Tuesday due to “cold”, but still annoyed 

I’m still thinking delayed opening since it will get to almost above freezing tomorrow and will be sunny which will help.  

Just now, South Austin said:

Don’t really care, ex has the kids. I’ll be in the office bright and early.

lucky.
I’m the fortunate one with the kids this go round 

one came down with something this morning.

I’m on hour #2 of monopoly with the other one.

I did teach him the finer points of winning at Nintendo PunchOut earlier today though. Suck it, Glass Joe. You should have stayed retired 30 years ago 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Anyone been at airport today?

AUS was ok to get checked in and through security. But lots of delays. My flight to LAX has a 5 hour delay which is going to cause me to miss the LAX - Singapore flight. So…drink $12 shiners and eat heavily sauced Earl Campbell brisket tacos and hope for the best….

4 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

In this situation, I don't understand the point of a two-hour delay. It'll still be freezing two hours later. Either cancel or have a full day.

It helps ensure peak grid demand for two extra hours because everyone will be home from 8-9:30 instead of getting everyone out of the house and burning gas from 6-7:30

so dumb 

Edited by UTexasFight

Regarding attendance and makeup days....

As of a law change in 2016, Texas schools are required to provide 75600 minutes of instruction per year, where lunch, recess and other "intermissions" are considered part of that.  At a "standard" 7-hour school day, that results in 180 days of class.  Well, RRISD (and I suspect others) have changed their days to 7 hours, 20 minutes.  That way, they have spare minutes set aside in the event of inclement weather.

41 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Hey they gonna wait all the way to 5pm.

this is a decision they could have made 48 hours ago (or at least 10am this morning after seeing the road conditions$

nothing has changed 

This.  My wife works for someone at District who is in the know, and apparently they were all waffling the past hour…so guess they changed their mind recently to do late start.  I’d be surprised if RRISD cancels while all surrounding are just a late start.  Who the fuck knows. 

At 6:30a tomorrow (when the first buses likely get fired up go start picking up elementary kids), it will be 14 degrees in Austin.  At 8:30a tomorrow, it will be 16 degrees.  The main difference: all chaos will be seen in full daylight.  Any and all ice will still be there.  Silly decision.

3 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Regarding attendance and makeup days....

As of a law change in 2016, Texas schools are required to provide 75600 minutes of instruction per year, where lunch, recess and other "intermissions" are considered part of that.  At a "standard" 7-hour school day, that results in 180 days of class.  Well, RRISD (and I suspect others) have changed their days to 7 hours, 20 minutes.  That way, they have spare minutes set aside in the event of inclement weather.

Yep.  There is strong rationale behind the two hour delay.  also gets bus traffic on the road after all the dipshits  who can’t drive in cold weather are already at work.  As I was signing up to volunteer for crossing guard/Dropoff duty to let the teachers stay warm inside, I realized how far down on Texas’ priority list education, transportation, and reliable energy are.  I guess we just don’t have enough money, land, or natural gas.  

what the fuck are we even doing here anymore?

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

also gets bus traffic on the road after all the dipshits  who can’t drive in cold weather are already at work. 

Many of those dipshits are now screaming at the clouds that their kids are delayed.  So they'll be part of the cluster...