Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

6 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

is it possible they poured all that cash into infrastructure, new buildings (the campus is booming) etc.. vs cash?  Think of it as "new money" as opposed to cash hoarding in an endowment, which would be more old money.  Just a thought.

Yes, UT hoards all its money away, no construction at all

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Why is Alabama such a highly sought-after job? Well, besides having a roster full of top talent, most of which will probably stay, it's a program where the school gives the head coach complete and total control. Nick Saban did anything and everything he wanted to do,with no interference.

Texas is not setup that way. It's a school with a lot of people who want to interfere.  This input is straight from the people inside Belmont. Texas is a great job, but you do have to deal with that issue. Sometimes that can be annoying.

Obviously, there are a ton of advantages to being at Texas over Bama that have already been listed in this thread.

People need to separate Bama and Saban, Bama was an unstable shit show for a decade before Saban got there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

Reports are that it’s Lanning and he’s in Bama doing the formal interview now.

this is being widely circulated 

Just now, Not a Sock said:

People need to separate Bama and Saban, Bama was an unstable shit show for a decade before Saban got there. 

all of this, just like UT after mack. finding the right guy is hard 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think it’s Lanning too, but I am curious about his buyout. Is there any real reporting about how much it actually is?

I’ve seen it at least $20M, with some kind of escalator to it that makes it much higher. I’d love to know exactly how much higher and what that clause is exactly. 

55 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Good question.  Its my understanding from a good friend from Southlake is the scholarship/in state deal  is FR year only. That could have just been his package, but he's paying full out of state now.  Also, may be grade/GPA related to hold that in-state tab.

The state is trying to tap in to a more diverse worker pool to meet demands of growth in the state economic climate. Out of state tuition is nearly 3x

https://1819news.com/news/item/only-38-of-university-of-alabama-freshman-enrollment-from-alabama-less-than-half-undergrad-students-in-state

That's interesting because I had LSU and Arkansas waiving out of state tuition for the whole 4 years to get me back in 2005.  I could see something similar at Bama.  I didn't realize Bama's academic requirements for acceptance were worse than Arkansas and LSU either.

Edited by Fondren & Main
I'm a dumbass.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It is well known in higher ed that a good sports program in one of the big 2 (football, men’s basketball) can lead to an increase in applications. Full enrollment is a bit of a misnomer because no college/university is truly ever “full.”

Don't overlook a champion meat judging program.

The real GOAT is driving in some serious numbers.

goat.jpg.ff9f842b1797645a1b7dbef0a15eabbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Some radio talking head was claiming Saban brought in billions extra in tuition to Bama, because kids suddenly wanted to attend Bama. Um...what? Did they just take everyone who applied? Was the school not at full enrollment before Saban? 

Apparently the campus has gone through massive upgrades in facilities, building, expansion, etc.  Too lazy to look up enrollment numbers pre/post Saban, but I'm assuming it's gone up quite a bit

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yes, UT hoards all its money away, no construction at all

According to the link up thread, Bama has over $900M in Active Capital Projects.  I know Texas does as well, but our "wealth" is light years ahead of theirs. I would imagine their endowment dollars are so low as they are playing catchup

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Some radio talking head was claiming Saban brought in billions extra in tuition to Bama, because kids suddenly wanted to attend Bama. Um...what? Did they just take everyone who applied? Was the school not at full enrollment before Saban? 

Probably. It’s not like it’s hard to get in

9 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

That's interesting because I had LSU and Arkansas waiving out of state tuition for the whole 4 years to get me back in 2005.  I could see something similar at Bama.  I didn't realize their academic requirements for acceptance were worse than Arkansas and Bama either.

Bama uses merit scholarships for out of state students to offset the costs: https://afford.ua.edu/scholarships/out-of-state-freshman/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

They could easily be again, that's why with Saban retiring, I bet Saban is the one who picks the next coach, not a bunch of boosters. They all wait for what St. Nick has to say before they move. 

With regards to Lanning, he's probably the guy, if in fact Sark bowed out and that's Saban's list, not theirs. Have to think Phil Knight is losing his mind, and who knows what he will do? 

58 minutes ago, The Dog said:

That's because Saban earned the benefit of the doubt. Their boosters meddle as much as anywhere else. 

Managing big boosters is part of the job at ALL big time programs. Saban just did it so well that nobody thought much of it. That and winning big.

38 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Lol you think Bama was always like that? 

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You think maybe the championships had a little to do with that? You think the next guy gets that same leeway if he doesn't come in and win immediately with all that Saban built there? The impossible standard that Saban built is why I don't think Alabama will be highly sought after as a job. You're following the greatest college head coach ever. I doubt that's something a lot of people want to do. 

I’m sure Saban being Saban helped his situation at Bama. But, none of this is my opinion. This is what is being said inside the athletic department. TCU outside influences were less as well. It’s not just Bama.

You can choose to believe that all big time college football programs are the same if you want. The people in the building are saying it’s different. And that’s not all bad. It just means you have a navigate the organization effectively.

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I bet the plan was always for Sark to take over like Riley did from Stoops. But then our job came open and Sark couldn't turn it down. 

I thought it was pretty widely accepted that Sark was Saban's personal choice to succeed him when he retired but Texas came calling and Sark had no idea when Saban was going to hang up his whistle.

Saban is quitting just as the Bama job -- and college coaching in general -- has gotten much more demanding with NIL and the portal. These are things that COULD detract from Bama's run of dominance in the last 15 years. Bama is no longer one of a few schools openly paying players -- nearly everybody does it now -- and there isn't the wealth in Bama that you'll find in other areas of the county with traditional football powers. I think Saban sees the writing on the wall and decided to get out before he winds up like Belichick.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Right - and it was pretty funny when aggy hired Franchione away from Bama. “Better recruiter than Mack and better Gameday coach than Stoops.”  How did that work out for those fucking idiots?

After watching every coach since RC, it isnt the coach, its them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Josh Pate is calling cap

Pate is a fucking regard and a Liucci shill. Feel free to ignore 98.6% of anything he says.

Hell, a month ago he was spouting about the A&M head coaching job being one of the top 5 in all of college football. He's latched onto that Aggie payroll and isn't letting up for anything. He saw a void in the market (hyping A&M because no one else does) and he filled it. Pretty savvy on his part but he effectively traded ever being taken seriously for a few dollars more.

Congratulations, Pate.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I just checked the bama board on sec rant, just the last 2 pages, haven’t mentioned lanning but I’m sure they are talking about the what ifs now. They mention deboer, kiffin, dabo. And no to Jeff fisch lol one mention under tier 2 candidates of sark and how they can’t outbid us.

I also did not read the last 50 pages.

48 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

... Shula, Price (its rolling baby),  Dubose, Fran, none of them could do what Saban did.

Fuck that shit. Let's cut to the chase. The Bear, Pop Warner, Amos Alonzo Stagg, Knute Rockne... none of them could do what Saban did.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TOR said:

For all you naysayers about the bama job, Tuscaloosa has a LOT going for it.

tuscaloosaredlbstr.png

Talk to me when they get a potbelly

image.png.495a810e79947d582629492f7af9a9f8.png

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think it's going to be someone who wants a step up in competition. Lanning fits the bill and he's been in the SEC before. But now that Oregon is moving on to the Big 10, he'll face a similar path that he would have at Alabama. DeBoer also could be that guy as well and I bet it's easier to pull him out of Seattle as UW can't fight a salary war against Alabama. 

UW can find any money they need to fight a salary war with Bama  if they choose. While the athletic department doesn't make as much as bama, the school is richer and the alumni are far wealthier just based on the fact that Microsoft is jam packed with UW grads and has been for years. I  dont know if you've been paying attention to MSFT stock the last few years, but I'm guessing its appreciated far greater than the average confederate flag/crocs collection. Now they may decide that paying $15 million/yr is not something they want to do, but they could find the alumni to chip-in if needed. UW actually has a pretty die hard fan base.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, stork642 said:

My son was a Senior last year and national merit.  We did a quick tour of colleges throughout the Southeast and the only reason we stopped by Bama was because of all the football success. Damn sure wasn’t the academics.  

The coeds make a visit to that campus worthwhile. The talent I saw walking around there in September was damn impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire