Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Deboer has also won everywhere he's been. Didn't he have some insane winning percentage at his NAIA school?

image.thumb.png.d68bbd06f597de10a9ddf7c7cfab2ba2.png

won everywhere. only issue is how he'll handle being in the SEC. I'd be surprised if Washington doesn't move Heaven and Earth to keep him.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Deboer seems like they're best option that will probably say yes.  He's losing his covid old man team so it's a really good time for him to make a move.

He'll get another decent QB in the portal, I'd bet. I think Bama's going to have a bit of a humbling moment as they keep getting turned down in very public fashions

DeBoer would crush it and be scary w/ the talent they have already.  The bigger question for Bama is what would they look like in 2-3 years.  Saban would stack #1 or #2 recruiting classes over and over and over.  The AVERAGE player on Bama's current roster is a top 100 player.  That's insane.  Kirby has shown he can do that, but DeBoer?

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

He'll get another decent QB in the portal, I'd bet. I think Bama's going to have a bit of a humbling moment as they keep getting turned down in very public fashions

Yeah, but it's the team around the qb that's gonna be a problem.

Lanning is out. Looks like the Kalen DeBoer stuff is picking up a lot of steam as the Bama AD covets. Fans don’t want Dabo but they’d have to accept it. Kiffin isn’t the guy imo. If Saban had a farewell tour year he’d probably have tried to get Sark to come on board. I think it’s DeBoer if DeBoer says yes. 

Just now, Redneck Mutha said:

He or DeBoer make the most sense to me.  And I think after their playoff snub, he's gotta be doing everything he can to move on to greener pastures.

DeBoer really made it sound like he isn't leaving Seattle.

I think he stays at UW or looks at the Seahawks job.  But he ain't going to Bama.  That's a whole new territory for him. 

Norvell makes the most sense. Already recruits the southeast heavily via Memphis and FSU. 

9 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:

DeBoer is probably a home run hire. He won't be Saban, but he'll win consistently... and won't need to always recruit his ass off like Georgia. 

I guess I'm too late to say this now, but DeBoer makes the least sense.  He has no recruiting ties to the southeast nor any staff connections that do.  He'd need a lot of help to get up and running and a lot of help to hire the people who could make that happen.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

DeBoer really made it sound like he isn't leaving Seattle.

I think he stays at UW or looks at the Seahawks job.  But he ain't going to Bama.  That's a whole new territory for him. 

Norvell makes the most sense. Already recruits the southeast heavily via Memphis and FSU. 

I'd love for him to put out a statement that he is "staying in Seattle" just to fuck with the UW fans.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

A southern school with light admission requirements has a shitload of hot chicks?  I learn new things every day on this site.

SEC schools are getting a TON of Texas HS kids that can no longer get into UT.

30 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

This was happening regardless of the Saban retirement.  They are working on an extension/raise for Sark.

This.

30 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s also recruiting well enough for that to be a regular thing.

This too.

22 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Lanning out.  Sark out.  Kiffin probably not in the picture.  Dabo lost his luster.

If they don't get Norvell or Deboer, there's a big dropoff in name recognition.

That's usually how these things go. You almost never see a top five caliber coach hop to another program but this isn't just any program and it's basically a turn-key deal.

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Who was the last successful NFL head coach to leave for a college job?

Jim Harbaugh. Successful NFL HC's don't take college jobs hardly at all. It takes a situation like that to make it happen.

15 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I could see it. Lanning has said no. That could start a run of high-profile no's from guys like DeBoer. I do believe those of you saying Norvell would probably take the job if offered and that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to Bama. Ray Perkins isn't walking through that door after all.

DeBoer is 104-12 as HC. He has beaten Sark at Texas twice. He’s a meat and potatoes type that’s not flashy. A grinder. He seems less green than Lanning and has beaten him 3x and I think Norvell while a great HC did too much handwringing (and hey I thought FSU got screwed also) for a school used to Saban. DeBoer and Sark and Lanning and Norvell all repped by the same agent I think. Busy agent. Getting paid like a mofo right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, The Dog said:

image.thumb.png.d68bbd06f597de10a9ddf7c7cfab2ba2.png

won everywhere. only issue is how he'll handle being in the SEC. I'd be surprised if Washington doesn't move Heaven and Earth to keep him.

I was told last week that UDub was going to have a contract ready for him yesterday and a press conference, so I'm not very gruntled right now.

Edited by Beau Vine

Norvell actually makes the most sense out of coaches that are currently employed. Probably a good coach, ties to the southeast, and Florida State is stuck in the ACC with a shitty TV deal for the forseeable future. If he get's the chance to move to a program like Bama, it would be tempting. But then again you gotta follow up the goat. I'm still kind of kicking around the idea that a lot of coaches turn bama down, and they say fuck it, lets hire Urban and give him all the money and hot college butthole he can handle. 

Good question.  Its my understanding from a good friend from Southlake is the scholarship/in state deal  is FR year only. That could have just been his package, but he's paying full out of state now.  Also, may be grade/GPA related to hold that in-state tab.
The state is trying to tap in to a more diverse worker pool to meet demands of growth in the state economic climate. Out of state tuition is nearly 3x
https://1819news.com/news/item/only-38-of-university-of-alabama-freshman-enrollment-from-alabama-less-than-half-undergrad-students-in-state

Shit, they’re trying to get some branches on some family trees out there. Damn things look like trunks.

5 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

CTJ mentioned about a month ago that Jimbo had already starting making calls about taking over a major program. 

Ryan Day to Bama.  Marcus Freeman to his alma mater, Ohio St.  Jimbo to Notre Dame.  First game next season?

Aug 31 - Notre Dame @ Texas A&M

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

SEC schools are getting a TON of Texas HS kids that can no longer get into UT.

Let me be clear, and this isn’t meant to be offensive to any surly kid who did this:

When I was teaching college before going into admin, I got plenty of these kids in my classroom at my community college in nawfwest Houston. It seemed like the most transferred back home from Mississippi, LSU, Auburn, and Arkansas. Their hope was to come home, get their GPA up at the community college, and 95% of them wanted to transfer to UT, which they didn’t get into out of high school. 

After 3 weeks in, I could tell why nearly all of them never got into UT. In fact, only 1 did because he emailed me. He came back from LSU, never took any notes, never wrote anything down, and could recite my lectures nearly word for word. I definitely wrote him a letter or rec.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Nick Saban Retirement + Alabama Corch Search Megathread - Deals with Satan Do Expire