Toby Keith RIP

Gil Bang

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

He made shit music that was enjoyed primarily by garbage people.

Very true but from what I understand behind the scenes, he was a really good guy.

He's not the first or only musician to peddle trash to the masses.  

Mixed emotions. 

He wrote some catchy songs.  Politics.  He said some stupid things.  I'm sure he gave money to charity.  I can almost talk myself into forgiving the ousux thing.  He grew up in Moore (which is what, 30 minutes from Norman) watching Darrell Royal beat sooner ass.  Who was he supposed to cheer for?  

I land on "any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind."   

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Very true but from what I understand behind the scenes, he was a really good guy.

He's not the first or only musician to peddle trash to the masses.  

I struggle with the concept of "garbage people."  The optimist in me wants to think each individual has some redeemable quality and this kind of generalization is lazy.

But then I remember that there is a thing called the Juggalos.  If ever there was a justification for chemical weapons.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I never understand people who make strong proclamations that some certain music is trash or sucks. So, you don’t like it. Fine. Who the fuck are you to decide for the world what’s trash music and what’s not?

There’s a lot of music I don’t like, but if other people like it, that’s the whole point, isn’t it? So fuck off you “pretend” music critics. 

Sir, this is Surly Horns and the internet.

Opinions like this are frowned upon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I never understand people who make strong proclamations that some certain music is trash or sucks. So, you don’t like it. Fine. Who the fuck are you to decide for the world what’s trash music and what’s not?

There’s a lot of music I don’t like, but if other people like it, that’s the whole point, isn’t it? So fuck off you “pretend” music critics. 

I like to think that, like you, I am catholic (lowercase "c") in my tastes when it comes to art and music and aesthetics and that, like Walt Whitman, I am large .. I contain multitudes.  But then I remember that Nickleback is a thing. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Sounds like you like shitty music

• Like 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

you must be new here

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

He made shit music that was enjoyed primarily by garbage people.

My dad was a garbage person and he didn’t enjoy Toby. 
Whenever Dad’s company had to clean up after a festival, Dad would roll in at daybreak blasting the Irish Rovers “Wasn’t That a Party” out of the speakers he had mounted on the top of his truck. 
That’s garbage people music. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, CoTex said:

Mixed emotions. 

He wrote some catchy songs.  Politics.  He said some stupid things.  I'm sure he gave money to charity.  I can almost talk myself into forgiving the ousux thing.  He grew up in Moore (which is what, 30 minutes from Norman) watching Darrell Royal beat sooner ass.  Who was he supposed to cheer for?  

I land on "any man’s death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind."   

Seriously?  This seems a but dramatic.  Who said this?  If it's true, what about births; wouldn't they uplift him?  Since the world population is increasing, he should be doing alright then, shouldn't he?  I'm confused, and I need answers.

26 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Seriously?  This seems a but dramatic.  Who said this?  If it's true, what about births; wouldn't they uplift him?  Since the world population is increasing, he should be doing alright then, shouldn't he?  I'm confused, and I need answers.

It's also a pretty stupid fucking thing to say when every being "dies". Trying to sound deep but indicative of a shallow mind that can only comprehend this plane of existence.

Anyway, good riddance to bad rubbish. High five to cancer on this one. Think I'll go spill a dip cup on a pretty girl's dress in his honor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

No man is an island, but some live under a rock.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 83Horn said:

No man is an island,

Entire of itself;

Every man is a piece of the continent, 

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less,

As well as if a promontory were:

As well as if a manor of thy friend's

Or of thine own were.

Any man's death diminishes me,

Because I am involved in mankind.

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;

It tolls for thee.

John Donne

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

No man is an island, but some live under a rock.

Was it that obscure?

I kinda thought this was required reading somewhere between Where the Wild Things Are and A Modest Proposal.

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoyed his music and dying of stomach cancer at 62 is a bad way to go out, so I’m sorry he’s gone and I hope he rests in Peace, but, there’s going to be some comedy for a few days. I like to think that at the end of his life he came to realize that he asked for it.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Throwing the term "Legend" around a little too easily. 

Country definitely is not my genre but by any measure he reached legend status a long time ago. He wouldn't be mistaken for a world class vocalist but the guy could write entertaining songs and connect with his audience. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:37 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

Damn.  My old HS had a rough couple of weeks.  First Jesse Jane and now Toby.  Moore High’s glory days are in the past…

RIP Toby

Someone better check on Jimmy Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Country definitely is not my genre but by any measure he reached legend status a long time ago. He wouldn't be mistaken for a world class vocalist but the guy could write entertaining songs and connect with his audience. 

I kind of recognized the name when his passing was mentioned on ESPN, but couldn’t remember why his name sounded familiar.

I can’t name a single song of his, but may recognize 1 to 3 of his songs. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I kind of recognized the name when his passing was mentioned on ESPN, but couldn’t remember why his name sounded familiar.

I can’t name a single song of his, but may recognize 1 to 3 of his songs. 🤷‍♂️

I really don't know what your point is or why you replied to me. He wasn't for everybody. I've never spent a dime on his music, tours, food establishments etc. Have a had a drink and a laugh with his music playing at a party or a bar or something? Sure. Does stomach cancer suck? Absolutely. As posted by others, did he do a lot for troops and their families? Yep. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/7/2024 at 8:00 AM, hullabelew said:

Throwing the term "Legend" around a little too easily. 

His various albums have racked up some 40 million sales, according to the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Keith also notched over 10 billion streams of his song catalog. Overall, he released 21 studio albums and 69 singles, 20 of which reached No. 1 on Billboard's country charts.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/toby-keith-taylor-swift-big-break-flashback-1234962328/amp/

You may not like him, but pretty much anyone unbiased would call him a legend.  The few military people I know certainly would.  

RIP

• Hook 'Em 3