Texas always lives here

Covri

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That's some good stuff.

It is and the timing of the drop being late I figured I’d share it now in it’s own thread. Strong “We’re Texas” vibes 

• Hook 'Em 1

You mean we're not going to make a video doing the other schools' cheers and telling them "Howdy" like a bunch of simps?  We don't need to present ourselves ass first to the rest of the conference hoping desperately to be liked? 

Nope.

We can just step through the door and say "We live here now".

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Certainly our "endowment" at UT is more than just the Permanent University Fund (PUF) but the PUF is always going to be a massive part of it.  And the PUF money can't be spent on just anything, constitutionally it is bound to:

PUF bonds may be issued for the benefit of all 14 institutions of the UT System, but may only be used to finance capital expenditures – generally speaking, that means the construction or acquisition of new buildings or land, or the purchase of long term durable equipment (an MRI, for example).

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/chancellor/blog/understanding-puf-what-permanent-university-fund-2016-08-22#:~:text=PUF bonds may be issued,an MRI%2C for example).

16 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Certainly our "endowment" at UT is more than just the Permanent University Fund (PUF) but the PUF is always going to be a massive part of it.  And the PUF money can't be spent on just anything, constitutionally it is bound to:

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/chancellor/blog/understanding-puf-what-permanent-university-fund-2016-08-22#:~:text=PUF bonds may be issued,an MRI%2C for example).

Yes, we know that.

On 2/14/2024 at 9:26 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Would have been 10x better with the MoC doing the voiceover. Sark just doesn't sound Texas.
*ducks*

14 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Fuck that. I can’t stand McConaughey. It should have been Ricky Williams or Colt McCoy.

Lutcher Stark
https://starkmuseum.org/explore/people/h-j-lutcher-stark/

Edited by Armybrat

I’ve been to the Stark Museum in Orange. For such a small town to have priceless pieces of the “Old West” timeframe is something. Original Remington paintings and guns (pistol/rifle) are also showcased there.

If one has an extra hour driving east on I-10, I definitely encourage one to visit the Stark in Orange.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

The very best thing about this video is that we finally have footage of holding up trophies beyond the 05 Rose Bowl. Feels fucking awesome to see our current starting QB holding the conference title. Loved the shot of Sam Ehlinger throwing up the horns and Bijan wiping a tear, too.

Just getting started. I can't fucking wait till september.

On 2/17/2024 at 2:51 PM, nbmishoid said:

Don’t know why, but I like that we rank highly.   What do we do with the endowment money?   Can it be used to lower attendance costs?

Endowment money is used for basically all non-sports stuff at UT, the actual school. UT Athletics is self-funding, one of the few in the country. It generates all its own revenue and has a surplus, so it doesn't need to dip into the endowment. The endowment is used to pay for world-class, high-name professors and fund cutting edge research in medicine and science. It's what makes UT an actual good school, not just a large state degree mill.

When I went to Texas in the Aughts, we had Warren fucking Spector teaching a comp sci class. This was like a full decade before "Game Dev" was an actual degree at universities. For those who aren't into game development, Warren Spector is a goddamn legend, behind games like Ultima VII, System Shock, Wing Commander, Thief, Deus Ex, and he also did quite a bit of work for Half Life 2. He's been a major creative force at Origin, Looking Glass, Valve, Eidos, Ion Storm, and Disney. Texas hired him to teach a new kind of class that didn't exist anywhere else in the country when he was at the peak of his career. They were able to make such a splash hire because we have an insane endowment. And Texas makes similar "holy shit" hires in every college it offers a degree in. Texas is legitimately a great school, I didn't choose to come to Texas for the football program like Okies do for OU, I chose to come to Texas because it was an awesome no-brainer choice for academics. Being amazing at Football during the same time period was just an added perk. I've always been incredibly proud of the computer science legacy we have at Texas, which was my degree.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

When I went to Texas in the Aughts,

You ankle-biters don't know what it WAS like.  

where the hell are my glasses

Edited by TOR