Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

9 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

The Hill was a good story, but done in that cheap Hallmark sappish kind of way.   But the story was good enough to warrant sitting through the poor production.  

A story about a kid from Texas who fights off a lot of disabilities to make it to the Majors.  Just don't expect Brenham to look like Brenham.  

He only made it to the minors, but it is still a great story

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Spoiler

Movie said he made it to play for the Expos for 4 years.  Maybe just their farm team, but it sure seemed like they meant the big league.  Either way, like you said, a great story.  

On 1/26/2024 at 8:37 PM, rage-a-holic said:

Great casting

image.png.6cb68e151c9bbfe45fd6f537d80efb0a.png

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Haven’t seen casting this far off since they cast that smoke show to play Yolanda saldivar in Selena

Y'all are in for a bunch of surprises if you start looking up actors who play historical characters. Shockingly, the actors almost always look better. Crazy.

The Greatest Night in Pop, on the making of We Are The World is good.  Still crazy to think they got all of those people together to record all night after an awards show.  Pretty cool seeing all the footage from the recording.  

• Like 3

I tried to watch the new movie about the GameStop fiasco and turned it off.  I am horrible at ignoring sunk cost.  I've turned off, maybe, 10 movies my entire life.  Really sucks because I'm fascinated about the subject matter and loved all the similarly themed movies like The Big Short.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I tried to watch the new movie about the GameStop fiasco and turned it off.  I am horrible at ignoring sunk cost.  I've turned off, maybe, 10 movies my entire life.  Really sucks because I'm fascinated about the subject matter and loved all the similarly themed movies like The Big Short.

It’s no Big Short but it’s watchable compared to most Netflix movies. 

7 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

7 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:
  Hide contents

Movie said he made it to play for the Expos for 4 years.  Maybe just their farm team, but it sure seemed like they meant the big league.  Either way, like you said, a great story.  

Reminds me that it’s astounding no one has made a movie or even a documentary about Jim Abbott yet. Born with only one hand and he went on to not only make the MLB, but throw a no-hitter. Easily one of the greatest sports stories ever. 

IMG_4006.jpeg.ffb850b637e6ebcb0e9f4b8c6989a3cc.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

If you like cooking shows, Dinner Time Live with David Chang. It’s live on Tuesdays. Caught the first one today.

He had the dude from Beef and Rashida Jones. It’s live and like someone’s cooking for you at the chefs bar. He fucks up and makes mistakes. This one was about three dishes from one chicken. He is far more personable than usual.

Best dish. He melted a tub of vanilla haagen dazs to make a fast crème anglais. Put Krispy Kreme donuts in a skillet to heat em up. Sauce in bowl. Hot donut. Some vanilla ice cream.

He made some great dishes. Told some stories. We liked it.

It wasn’t vanilla ice cream on top. It was Cereal Milk ice cream from Milk Bar (Christina Tosi).

It’s fucking amazing. Heb just stopped carrying it (even when they’re open). It can still be found at Target though.
  • Like 1

The Greatest Night in Pop, on the making of We Are The World is good.  Still crazy to think they got all of those people together to record all night after an awards show.  Pretty cool seeing all the footage from the recording.  

I’m going to watch this. I just rewatched the video which was a true event of time; I think Cyndi Lauper was the only miscast singer; she just couldn’t sing her line. How they got all that talent there and made a cohesive song out of so many voices has got to be amazing.

Unfortunately these days too many stars would refuse to sing with some others due to political differences.

It wasn’t vanilla ice cream on top. It was Cereal Milk ice cream from Milk Bar (Christina Tosi).

It’s fucking amazing. Heb just stopped carrying it (even when they’re open). It can still be found at Target though.

I missed that on the show. The recipe on the show site just calls for vanilla ice cream.
Dan Aykroid for the win

He didn’t get a solo.

This is pretty cool. Especially if you remember this real time in the 80s.
  • Like 2

Yep this was cool to watch.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Benioff and Weiss are behind this. 

Fuck yes. I've been all about the historical dramas/docudramas lately.  Already went through both seasons of Rise of the Ottomans, The Last Czar (with a UT prof. as one of the experts, hook 'em), Cleopatra and starting Alexander the Great this weekend. 

15 minutes ago, Scraps said:

uh spoiler alert

"rise of US President James Garfield and his subsequent assassination by Charles Guiteau."

Yeah, but this time Chester A. Arthur won't be the replacement. Instead, it'll be Neal Dow because he had the more interesting story.

On 1/30/2024 at 7:20 PM, Hook1997 said:

It was a neat project, but the song sucked. Band Aid did it first (and better).

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

He kinda comes off like a dick though. Which he kinda was.

Sure, but there are 40+ superstars trapped in a hot recording studio. It's near 4am and most of them have been awake for almost 24 hours. 

Stevie decides the song needs swahili lyrics, even after being told

• They don't speak swahili in Ethiopia
  • The people this song will benefit will most likely never hear it
  • The song is intended for english speakers who will buy the record

The articles I've seen said several other artists were pissed off that this thing was turning into an out of control clown car; Waylon was just the only one that said "I'm out"

Ray Charles - “Willi what! Willi moing-gu, my ass! It’s three o’clock in the goddamn mornin’ – I can’t even sing in English no more.”

On 1/27/2024 at 4:02 PM, billfromlaketravis said: 

I'll pass. Blanco was a truly awful person and it appears they're attempting to humanize her. 

Beyond awful and the ending with the meeting between her and female detective was incredibly unbelievable.

NASCAR:Full Speed is pretty good. It’s a 5 episode, DTS style chronicle of the playoffs. One takeaway is how different NASCAR is from F1, both in personalities and technology. Another was that Denny Hamlin is an asshole. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 1:08 PM, Horn80 said:

Beyond awful and the ending with the meeting between her and female detective was incredibly unbelievable.

at the beginning of the pilot, they use the escobar quote about how the only man he was ever afraid of was a woman named griselda blanco blah blah.  i assume the quote is accurate, but we kept waiting for her to be scary.  she spent a lot of time bitching and moaning about being a woman, getting taken advantage of, and people not doing what she wanted all the time.

she wasn't scary until she started smoking crack, and i don't think that was the scary that pablo meant.

Im with yall on this Griselda thing. It's not terrible or anything. I think the actor that plays Dario is great. Sofia is fine as fuck, and i believe Griselda was actually pretty good looking when she was younger, so im not bothered. It just seems like an idea that's been done to death, and has all the usual tropes. "I do all of this for the family", etc.

Is it just me or does Netflix have a terrible time on Friday and Saturday evenings with stability? Literally no other time do I get lags and even random crashes, and I'm rationalizing that these are the evenings and times that Netflix has peak users and bandwidth use, but man, it's gotten to be unbearable on Saturday nights especially. 

No other streaming service lags and sucks during this time (Prime, Disney+, TuboTV, etc.) so I assume it's not my home internet or bandwidth but related to Netflix's massive popularity and use? 

Anyone else?

Edited by BeardIP