Greatest TV scenes ever

Parliament

these two kinda go together and most of the josh+amy stuff is vintage sorkin.

a lot of actors can't handle sorkin, many of whom were in the newsroom cast, which sucks for newsroom.  mary louise parker is as good as anyone i've seen at it.  if she had been cast as mandy from the jump, it would've prevented a lot of headaches.

speaking of which, the clip above (from 20 hours in america, arguably the best ww episode), features tyler the campaign intern, played by john gallagher, jr, who was later cast as one of the main characters in the newsroom, and one of the better ones imo.  kinda fun trivia.

for a drama, this episode has 5-7 lol moments, which even for sorkin is saying something.  it's just a hilarious episode.

also, for some reference on how tv has changed, for better or worse.  when the awards are given out, comedies and dramas traditionally are divided not by joke density, but by episode length.  it's not right or wrong, just how it goes. 

the bear isn't a traditional comedy but will win best comedy every year it's around.  should it have gone against succession, a much more straightforward drama, that i would argue might be a funnier show top to bottom?  not for me to say. 

but every episode of season 3 ted lasso (an obvious "comedy") was longer than any west wing episode ever produced.  again, just fun trivia.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

these two kinda go together and most of the josh+amy stuff is vintage sorkin.

a lot of actors can't handle sorkin, many of whom were in the newsroom cast, which sucks for newsroom.  mary louise parker is as good as anyone i've seen at it.  if she had been cast as mandy from the jump, it would've prevented a lot of headaches.

speaking of which, the clip above (from 20 hours in america, arguably the best ww episode), features tyler the campaign intern, played by john gallagher, jr, who was later cast as one of the main characters in the newsroom, and one of the better ones imo.  kinda fun trivia.

for a drama, this episode has 5-7 lol moments, which even for sorkin is saying something.  it's just a hilarious episode.

also, for some reference on how tv has changed, for better or worse.  when the awards are given out, comedies and dramas traditionally are divided not by joke density, but by episode length.  it's not right or wrong, just how it goes. 

the bear isn't a traditional comedy but will win best comedy every year it's around.  should it have gone against succession, a much more straightforward drama, that i would argue might be a funnier show top to bottom?  not for me to say. 

but every episode of season 3 ted lasso (an obvious "comedy") was longer than any west wing episode ever produced.  again, just fun trivia.

Man, speaking of Dusty TV moments, In Excelsis Deo is up there:

On 2/28/2024 at 11:08 AM, henrygandorf said:

masterclass here from offerman in non-verbal communication, body language, action, and reaction.  and he's probably had to build a new trophy case to accommodate it.

bartlett was wonderful but ultimately, overshadowed.

That was one of the best hours of TV I've ever watched.  Such a great episode.

so while we're on the subject, i watch tv before i go to bed. in fact, i keep it on while i fall asleep, it's one of the more annoying things i do, according to ex-girlfriends and current wives. anyhow, i was watching the west wing, then i was ready to roll over, so i put on the office, and then just for fun, i was trying to think if there was any actor who appeared in both. i haven't done any research to see if this actor was the only one, but i thought of one, and it took a full half hour.

Spoiler

amy adams.  not bad.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so while we're on the subject, i watch tv before i go to bed. in fact, i keep it on while i fall asleep, it's one of the more annoying things i do, according to ex-girlfriends and current wives. anyhow, i was watching the west wing, then i was ready to roll over, so i put on the office, and then just for fun, i was trying to think if there was any actor who appeared in both. i haven't done any research to see if this actor was the only one, but i thought of one, and it took a full half hour.

Reveal hidden contents

amy adams.  not bad.

David Wallace from the Office played a congressman in one episode of the first season of West Wing.

Bonus trivia from The Newsroom: The actress who plays Maggie’s roommate Lisa, who dates Jim, is the one in The Office that hooks up with Dwight at other Jim and Pam’s wedding. 

• Like 1