Xavier Worthy 4.21* NFL Combine record

ztejas

44 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I'm curious what Worthy could do in the 100m if he trained for it.  10.1?  9.9?

His 40 was a shade quicker than Marquise Goodwin's, whose PR is 10.24 sec in the 100 m.  I'd be surprised if X could get down to 10.1 sec.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

His 40 was a shade quicker than Marquise Goodwin's, whose PR is 10.24 sec in the 100 m.  I'd be surprised if X could get down to 10.1 sec.

So 100m times don't really extrapolate that way.

For example, Jamaal "only" ran a 4.36 in the 40 at the 2007 NFL combine, yet his 100m best, clocked the previous spring, was an eyewatering 10.13.

Some guys get out of the blocks faster while others better maintain their top-end speed (or, more accurately, experience less speed decay), so it's difficult to predict what their career bests would be if they focused exclusively on the sprints at the expense of everything else. I don't doubt that Jamaal could've cracked 10 seconds at some point, and I wouldn't put that past Xavier, either.

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Some guys get out of the blocks faster while others better maintain their top-end speed (or, more accurately, experience less speed decay), 

. . . and some have higher top end speed, from which all decline by 100 m.   

You're correct, it's difficult to predict absolute 100 m performance from a 40 y time.  My guess is that X would have been focusing on track at some point if he had sub 10.1 times in his future.  (The UT sports website does mention he ran a 10.55 as a HS sophomore, so I have little doubt he'd shave some tenths off that if he focused.  He's fast, I'm sure not arguing that point.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 8:38 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Jamaal Charles ran a 10.13 100m, but 4.38 40yd at the Combine where he was probably carrying 25# more than his ideal track weight. I’m still not sure you can accurately predict a 100m based on a 40. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Braff beat me to it, except JC’s 40 was 4.38, not 4.36.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Posted (edited)

That first TD catch vs Bama that opened the floodgates was beautiful. I'm so happy for Worthy, he's an awesome representative for UT. Hook em!! We're gonna look back on X in the future and realize they set the foundation for an entire new generation of Texas greatness.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 9

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Teddy Lehman ran a 1.7

Tell me you wear reading glasses without telling me you wear reading glasses.

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Here's the actual hug

2nd guy to him was the star QB of his recruiting class who he was likely in a text group with for half a year or more, but who he never played for. Those two apparently are still boys/ brothers/ bros/ whatever the latest slang is for close friends.

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Mixed Martial Arts Wow GIF by UFC

I didn’t realize that Verne Troyer ever called boxing matches. (Or is this professional wrestling?… that would make more sense.)

R.I.P. Verne

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

That first TD catch vs Bama that opened the floodgates was beautiful. I'm so happy for Worthy, he's an awesome representative for UT. Hook em!! We're gonna look back on X in the future and realize they set the foundation for an entire new generation of Texas greatness.

You're hit or miss but this is a great post. More of this, G.

58 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Man, I hope you're right.

Bro shut the fuck up. 

Go back and look at the game threads you ignorant dipshit. Everyone was begging not to throw the deep ball because it wasn’t working.

Worthy averaged 13 yards a catch. AD averaged 15. These are facts that your simpleton small mind can’t grasp.

Ps. Fuck off
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Go back and look at the game threads you ignorant dipshit. Everyone was begging not to throw the deep ball because it wasn’t working.

Worthy averaged 13 yards a catch. AD averaged 15. 

image.gif.6937d6d6af15aae03d3b3c4e4a3eac9e.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Worthy averaged 13 yards a catch. AD averaged 15. These are facts that your simpleton small mind can’t grasp.

Ps. Fuck off

People were screaming for him to transfer on the Alamo Bowl loss.  Member this?  I'll spoiler it as this is a celebration thread and all.

I know it's just a 40 time, but it makes me really happy to see X get his flowers nationally right now. Dude was electric as a true freshman and was the focal point for opposing DCs right away. Had a great career here but still lots of "what ifs" due to high expectations. Hope he gets drafted by the right team and tears up the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know it's just a 40 time, but it makes me really happy to see X get his flowers nationally right now. Dude was electric as a true freshman and was the focal point for opposing DCs right away. Had a great career here but still lots of "what ifs" due to high expectations. Hope he gets drafted by the right team and tears up the NFL. 

. . . and a broken hand that seemingly no one outside of the team knew about.

• Hook 'Em 3

Clearly I have no internet art skills but wish I could have made a sticker of a shot of him yesterday after X ran when he flashed the horns…the idea is there but the skill (mine) is weak…

Anyway, happy for Worthy. He has been one of my all time favorite players. 

IMG_9716.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Clearly I have no internet art skills but wish I could have made a sticker of a shot of him yesterday after X ran when he flashed the horns…the idea is there but the skill (mine) is weak…

Anyway, happy for Worthy. He has been one of my all time favorite players. 

IMG_9716.jpeg

If your selfies are as edited as this image, I'll be greatly disappointed.

• Haha 3

On 3/3/2024 at 9:08 AM, South Austin said:

Yep. My favorite play of Worthy in 2023 was against Alabama, and it wasn’t the long TD. He caught about a 6-yard out on the sideline and immediately absorbed a big hit by the defender. Worthy shook it off, left the defender on the ground, and trucked ahead for another 5 yards or so for a first down. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Okay, so he didn’t leave the defenders on the ground, but he had two guys on him at the catch, and still absorbed the blow and plowed ahead.

Thanks for locating!

To be fair, I think you were combining the play at Bama with this play from the CCG: