i entered a contest with an entry fee and then the contest never happened

last summer the rapper Riff Raff held a an open verse contest where you pay an entry fee, his people send you one of his songs with an open verse, you record your own verse, and they declare a winner. the winner was supposed to get writing credits, royalties from the album, to go on tour with riff raff, and some other stuff that i don’t remember. riff raff said the contest would last a month, and then he just never followed up on it.

the entry fee was $50, and i paid $100 for the studio time to record my verse. my question is this: is it even worth it for me to try and make this right? to at least get my money back? or should i just chunk it up as a loss? 

• Haha 1

In an act of solidarity, I will boycott Riff Raff. Henceforth, I shall never listen to a song or go to a show involving Riff Raff.  

as far as the money goes, I would just consider it paying it forward. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Riff Raff blocked me on Twitter. I don't recall the precise reason, but it had something to do with the fact that I expressed skepticism about him allegedly feeding cocaine to pigeons or something along those lines. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I was gonna post a joke about getting scammed by Riff Raff from Rocky Horror but then I googled the rapper and it turns out the Rocky Horror version looks a lot more trustworthy that Riff Raff from the mean streets of Katy, TX. 

IMG_3163.thumb.jpeg.9f66afe49df959c759df399a33153a23.jpeg

IMG_3165.jpeg.32f9ba488bd8b69d4b86a707ceded840.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg.53790cd2d0404a4fe886491ea8831883.jpeg

• Haha 4

You are too old. Riff Raff isn't going to tour with a 30 something year old white rapping hopeful. But, in case I am wrong, post the song edit here and we will decide.

• Hook 'Em 1

No, it's not worth pursuing, but sucks. 

I love me some Riff. You know he could of played for the Toronto Raptors?

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

oh yeah here’s what i recorded. i’m the last verse:

This is... not bad? 

I'll give you a 50% credit towards my own rap competition...  The winner get TWO writing credits, royalties from all of my albums, but you must go on tour with the next Surly road trip...  

It's $100, but I need two verses so your recording costs might be slightly higher depending on how fast you can singrap

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

You should make a diss track and post it on social media.

This is the way. 

Eta: and based on that pic and being from Katy, you should be able to write bar after bar after bar. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bevo said:

You are too old. Riff Raff isn't going to tour with a 30 something year old white rapping hopeful. But, in case I am wrong, post the song edit here and we will decide.

i absolutely would not have gone on tour lol, i have zero desire for that. i don’t even want to keep writing or making songs to tell you the truth (which is why aside from this contest i haven’t done so in more than a decade). all i really wanted  was the residuals and songwriting credits.

Edited by shadow_operative

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, immamac said:

I'm pretty sure you just didn't win. 

i messaged riff raff on IG a couple of months to ask if the contest was still happening and he said yes. it clearly isn’t though. their alleged plan was to post the finalists on his IG page and have the public vote. don’t think that’s ever gonna happen.

Edited by shadow_operative

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i absolutely would not have gone on tour lol, i have zero desire for that. i don’t even want to keep writing or making songs to tell you the truth (which is why aside from this contest i haven’t done so in more than a decade). all i really wanted  was the residuals and songwriting credits.

Record exec:  not going on tour is a breach of contract, therefore you no longer receive residuals for your writing credit. 

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I was gonna post a joke about getting scammed by Riff Raff from Rocky Horror but then I googled the rapper and it turns out the Rocky Horror version looks a lot more trustworthy that Riff Raff from the mean streets of Katy, TX. 

IMG_3163.thumb.jpeg.9f66afe49df959c759df399a33153a23.jpeg

IMG_3165.jpeg.32f9ba488bd8b69d4b86a707ceded840.jpeg

IMG_3164.jpeg.53790cd2d0404a4fe886491ea8831883.jpeg

Barbie Part 2: Ken smokes rock.

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Is he married? I would go with a strong opening salvo on the diss track like... That's why I fucked your bitch you phat motherfucker. 

Yeah btw does he have sickle cell?

Also go hard with the Aladdin references.

• Like 1