OJ Simpson has died

bamachine

15 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Pedophilia is attraction to prepubescent kids, not just someone under the age of consent.

The girl was 14. Expressing the distinction of one year, when my girls were 14, would not have been persuasive.

https://www.msdmanuals.com/home/mental-health-disorders/paraphilias-and-paraphilic-disorders/pedophilic-disorder

• Hook 'Em 1

• blacklab locked and unlocked this topic
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

The case was over once they chose that venue.  Everything else is irrelevant.

This is bullshit. The jury would not have unanimously found him innocent anywhere in the country if not for the police screw ups. At worst, it's a hung jury without tampering and cops who love saying the N word.

Some of the jurors have admitted to wanting to see a black man beat the legal system for a change--regardless of guilt--but the police have no one to blame but themselves for introducing that reasonable doubt for them to latch onto.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Didn’t OJ also claim he cut his hand hitting golf balls?

No.  He claimed he had injured his hand previously (he could not recall how/where when interviewed) and then re-opened the cut when he was in Chicago after he broke a glass in "anguish" over the news about his wife's death.  He was in Chicago for some corporate golf outing for Hertz.  That's what you may have been thinking of.   

Bugliosi wrote a whole book on how the Simpson prosecution screwed up.  It's called "Outrage."  Suffice to say that if Bugliosi had been prosecuting the case, the outsome would have been different.

Edited by Carl Spackler

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This is bullshit. The jury would not have unanimously found him innocent anywhere in the country if not for the police screw ups. At worst, it's a hung jury without tampering and cops who love saying the N word.

Some of the jurors have admitted to wanting to see a black man beat the legal system for a change--regardless of guilt--but the police have no one to blame but themselves for introducing that reasonable doubt for them to latch onto.

The failure to seek a change in venue from downtown LA to Santa Monica was a monumental blunder.  The difference between the downtown LA juror pool and the Santa Monica juror pool is enormous.  I'm not prepared to say it was the only reason for the acquittal, but it was absolutely a huge blunder by Garcetti.  Police screw-ups and Fuhrmann's use of the N word certainly didn't help, but it would have been far easier for the prosecution to overcome those obstacles in Santa Monica.  

You say "[t]he jury would not have unanimously found him innocent anywhere in the country if not for the police screw ups."  I can think of lots of places in this country where a jury very likely would have found Simpson guilty notwithstanding the issues with the police handling of the investigation -- Simi Valley, for one.  (BTW, criminal defendants are not found "innocent."  In general, there are two possible verdicts in criminal cases -- guilty or not guilty.  Depending on the jurisdiction, there might be other options like "not guilty by reason of insanity" or "not proven."  But "innocent" is not a possible verdict in a criminal trial.")

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, he’d also given his son a pair of those same shoes in the same size. His son was a chef with his own set of knives he took to and from work. Both his shoes and knives disappeared. He also blamed Nicole for the marriage breaking up.

If there’s one person OJ would protect, it’s his kid.

Also wore a knit cap regularly..

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The failure to seek a change in venue from downtown LA to Santa Monica was a monumental blunder.  The difference between the downtown LA juror pool and the Santa Monica juror pool is enormous.  I'm not prepared to say it was the only reason for the acquittal, but it was absolutely a huge blunder by Garcetti.  Police screw-ups and Fuhrmann's use of the N word certainly didn't help, but it would have been far easier for the prosecution to overcome those obstacles in Santa Monica.  

You say "[t]he jury would not have unanimously found him innocent anywhere in the country if not for the police screw ups."  I can think of lots of places in this country where a jury very likely would have found Simpson guilty notwithstanding the issues with the police handling of the investigation -- Simi Valley, for one.  (BTW, criminal defendants are not found "innocent."  In general, there are two possible verdicts in criminal cases -- guilty or not guilty.  Depending on the jurisdiction, there might be other options like "not guilty by reason of insanity" or "not proven."  But "innocent" is not a possible verdict in a criminal trial.")

Mea culpa. Obviously meant "not guilty" not "innocent".

I absolutely agree that other venues would have still found him guilty, despite the evidence tampering and police racism. I disagree with the notion that the case was "over" when they kept it in LA. There's no scenario where all 12 jurors vote not guilty with the evidence on hand. 2 or 3 jurors trying to get "payback" for Rodney King wouldn't have gotten enough traction without shitty cops who just couldn't help themselves.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

No.  He claimed he had injured his hand previously (he could not recall how/where when interviewed) and then re-opened the cut when he was in Chicago after he broke a glass in "anguish" over the news about his wife's death.  He was in Chicago for some corporate golf outing for Hertz.  That's what you may have been thinking of.   

Bugliosi wrote a whole book on how the Simpson prosecution screwed up.  It's called "Outrage."  Suffice to say that if Bugliosi had been prosecuting the case, the outsome would have been different.

While the police errors were inexcusable, they were surmountable.

The prosecution fucked the case up a million ways to Sunday. Just absolute incompetence.

• Hook 'Em 1

While the police errors were inexcusable, they were surmountable.
The prosecution fucked the case up a million ways to Sunday. Just absolute incompetence.

Yep. Once they decided to try it in LA County they were fucked. Great decision Gil the Politician.

Then Marcia Clark’s utter incompetence took center stage…
  • Hook 'Em 1

aside from the short prison term for hotel theft or whatever it was, he had a dream life. 
Was thinking what were the biggest live TV events of all time 
9/11, JFK assassination coverage, the OJ chase.

Guess you could add the moon landing to that, not sure it was live though. Wasn't the Branch Davidian siege in Waco televised? I watched a doccie and it included tons of TV footage.

2 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I had an OJ “ football doll/toy” and a Staubach when I was a youth. Similar to a GI Joe sized doll/toy during the early’70s.

Later on into my youth, I shot the OJ doll with

You forgot to end the line with "aarrgghh...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn dog made me hit submit!

Anyways, I shot up that OJ doll from my tree fort with my first .22 rifle around ‘79. Damn I wish I still had that thing, as well as the Staubach doll to this day.

Hook’em!!!

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, he’d also given his son a pair of those same shoes in the same size. His son was a chef with his own set of knives he took to and from work. Both his shoes and knives disappeared. He also blamed Nicole for the marriage breaking up.

If there’s one person OJ would protect, it’s his kid.

I still shake my head at myself for this, but what I could not get past and what the prosecution team (one of the worst ever) never explained to me (from what was on TV of course) was their back and forth that "oj did this spur if the moment in a fit of rage" followed up with "he is this amazing mission impossible type killer that manages to brutally stab two people with blood everywhere yet there is one speck of blood on the door panel in the Bronco and not much else and he managed to somehow do it between getting food with kato and catching a limo to the airport"

in addition the cut on the glove did not match the cut on his hand in placement

it was back and forth that oj had it all planned out, but wore dress shoes, went ahead when ron was also there instead of waiting for another day, and he used just a random knife he already had......but then to explain the wearing of dress shoes, the random knife, and doing it when ron was there it was well "it was an impulsive fit of rage"......and then back to so how did he do that so brutally to two people and come away with so little blood anywhere in the Bronco, on himself, around his house ect......"oh well because he is this mission impossible killer type that had it all planned out and timed perfectly between getting food with kato and catching a ride to the airport"

based on how shitty the prosecution did from everything that was available from TV I am not sure I could have found him guilty, but I damn sure would have believed if he did not do it he 100% knew who did and why

I had never heard the stuff about his son that would make a lot of sense....I always figured it was drug related and that oj was pretty scared to call out who did it for fear for himself and his kids and in addition he was not unhappy with the results anyway and it saved him having to fly into a fit of rage some day so he just brushed it off and it was called "even".....once the Goldmans and her family went after him he just decided to double down on being a piece of shit and taunt them

Posted (edited)

csb/ At the 2006 Rose Bowl, we're in seats that aren't great but not horrible.  Most USC fans were acting arrogant but not crass.  Same for couple behind us.  We didn't really talk until the game get tense.  So we're shooting the shit during a timeout and he tells me he's (can't remember if it was orthopedist or osteopath) to USC athletics alums.  While the current athletes have their own caregivers, he runs a big practice in Brentwood and takes care of these guys for the free publicity so he can attract more wealthier patients.  So I'm half in the bag and just ask, "Well then, did you ever treat O.J.?"  Wife is mortified, since she's a health care provider and says something like, "You can't ask him to betray HIPAA laws!"  And he just blurts out, "I don't give a shit about violating HIPAA laws for murderers.  Yeah, he was a patient and talked too much."  Maybe he was just fucking with me, but he'd have no reason to until the last TD by VY.  I never really had an opinion on the OJ matter/trial until he said that (I was living abroad when this all went down in the mid-90's and had no idea until I came home).  But usually fanatics of a team or a person or a cult or a religion make excuses for the person they worship.  And this guy was obviously diehard Trojan, giving free care to older athletes with long-standing ailments they couldn't get elsewhere from a bygone era of jackshit health care.  And he could not have been more non-chalant about "Simpson?  Yeah, he was a patient.  And a murdered.  Fuck him."  /csb

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I still shake my head at myself for this, but what I could not get past and what the prosecution team (one of the worst ever) never explained to me (from what was on TV of course) was their back and forth that "oj did this spur if the moment in a fit of rage" followed up with "he is this amazing mission impossible type killer that manages to brutally stab two people with blood everywhere yet there is one speck of blood on the door panel in the Bronco and not much else and he managed to somehow do it between getting food with kato and catching a limo to the airport"

in addition the cut on the glove did not match the cut on his hand in placement

it was back and forth that oj had it all planned out, but wore dress shoes, went ahead when ron was also there instead of waiting for another day, and he used just a random knife he already had......but then to explain the wearing of dress shoes, the random knife, and doing it when ron was there it was well "it was an impulsive fit of rage"......and then back to so how did he do that so brutally to two people and come away with so little blood anywhere in the Bronco, on himself, around his house ect......"oh well because he is this mission impossible killer type that had it all planned out and timed perfectly between getting food with kato and catching a ride to the airport"

based on how shitty the prosecution did from everything that was available from TV I am not sure I could have found him guilty, but I damn sure would have believed if he did not do it he 100% knew who did and why

I had never heard the stuff about his son that would make a lot of sense....I always figured it was drug related and that oj was pretty scared to call out who did it for fear for himself and his kids and in addition he was not unhappy with the results anyway and it saved him having to fly into a fit of rage some day so he just brushed it off and it was called "even".....once the Goldmans and her family went after him he just decided to double down on being a piece of shit and taunt them

Oj did it

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

I saw this on my phone at work. My mother has had three different types of cancer and almost a decade later is still here thank God. I wouldn’t wish cancer on anyone, but my reaction to this was “Cancer did what the justice system did not.”

Then when I turned to tell a guy my age that OJ died the 21 year old sitting next to me says “Who is that?” He quite literally means nothing to millions of people in this country and I’m glad for that. I hope he’s hanging out with Robert Kardashian right about now.

Edited by UpperWestside

On 6/19/2019 at 6:18 AM, Guest Lobo said:

So Ford missed out on the crossover opportunities of the 25th anniversary of all this by waiting a whole other year to bring back the Bronco?  

At least O.J. knows how to capitalize on these kinds of opportunities.  

I mean, I've seen the renderings/hearing about the new Bronco for 5 or 6 six years now.  You had one job, Detroit!  

I thought OJ missed his chance during the 2020 BLM riots to get back in the spotlight as a social justice warrior.  I was mildly surprised because he had always been in the public eye.  You can tell what generation you are by answering the question, Why is OJ famous?

Spoiler

Me watching the Ford Bronco: All this fuss over the guy from the Naked Gun movies?  

• Fuck You 1

As for the theory “maybe he was covering for his son?”- the DNA evidence is what establishes OJ as the killer. He did it. 

If the case had occurred after a few years of NCIS, the jury would not have dismissed it as readily, but it wasn’t as familiar to them, then, as it is now. 

Oh, well. It’s a travesty that he got away with it. I look at it as a crossroads in US race relations- the day that showed a rich Black guy could get away with murder just like rich white guys had been doing for decades (see Cullen Davis for a good example). 

10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

csb/ At the 2006 Rose Bowl, we're in seats that aren't great but not horrible.  Most USC fans were acting arrogant but not crass.  Same for couple behind us.  We didn't really talk until the game get tense.  So we're shooting the shit during a timeout and he tells me he's (can't remember if it was orthopedist or osteopath) to USC athletics alums.  While the current athletes have their own caregivers, he runs a big practice in Brentwood and takes care of these guys for the free publicity so he can attract more wealthier patients.  So I'm half in the bag and just ask, "Well then, did you ever treat O.J.?"  Wife is mortified, since she's a health care provider and says something like, "You can't ask him to betray HIPAA laws!"  And he just blurts out, "I don't give a shit about violating HIPAA laws for murderers.  Yeah, he was a patient and talked too much."  Maybe he was just fucking with me, but he'd have no reason to until the last TD by VY.  I never really had an opinion on the OJ matter/trial until he said that (I was living abroad when this all went down in the mid-90's and had no idea until I came home).  But usually fanatics of a team or a person or a cult or a religion make excuses for the person they worship.  And this guy was obviously diehard Trojan, giving free care to older athletes with long-standing ailments they couldn't get elsewhere from a bygone era of jackshit health care.  And he could not have been more non-chalant about "Simpson?  Yeah, he was a patient.  And a murdered.  Fuck him."  /csb

I took a walk down memory lane and looked at some of my pics from the game. YGIFS, please tell me this was you:

trojan.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I saw this on my phone at work. My mother has had three different types of cancer and almost a decade later is still here thank God. I wouldn’t wish cancer on anyone, but my reaction to this was “Cancer did what the justice system did not.”

Then when I turned to tell a guy my age that OJ died the 21 year old sitting next to me says “Who is that?” He quite literally means nothing to millions of people in this country and I’m glad for that. I hope he’s hanging out with Robert Kardashian right about now.

Can the remainder of the Kardashian family join them?

• Hook 'Em 2