Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason out at CBS

RPM

Finally

Boomer Esiason and Phil Simms are out at the “The NFL Today” as the NFL studio show undergoes a huge makeover with Matt Ryan and JJ Watt joining James Brown, Nate Burleson and Bill Cowher.

The former Jets quarterback announced on Monday morning that he is “stepping away” from the position and that he signed a long-term deal to remain with WFAN as co-host of their morning show with Gregg Giannotti.

“More their decision than maybe mine,” Esiason, 63, said of CBS before thanking all the behind-the-scenes staff that made his job possible.

Simms, who helped the Giants win two Super Bowls, announced the news on X.

“Great 26 yrs run with CBS SPORTS. Even though that part of my career is over I look forward to what is next..,” Simms wrote.

Simms was previously part of the No. 1 broadcasting booth alongside Jim Nantz before being replaced by Tony Romo in 2017.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

Need to get rid of James Brown, too. 

Brown, the show’s longtime host, was expected to get a new deal with his contract up.

22 minutes ago, DougO said:

I never watch that shit anyway. It has become totally worthless. I just watch the games.

The SportsCenter of Sunday mornings. Once good entertainment, now like a cheese grater to the nutsack. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

I thought pre shows were only for background noise.  Didn't know anyone paid attention to anything said.

kind of agree, but I think the NBA show with Shaq and Charles is actually better than the NBA.  I'm admittedly not much of a basketball guy though.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, freyguy said:

nuke em all.  Same for most of the dipshits on Fox as well.  They can keep Terry, but thats it.

I will never understand why you need six guys on a halftime show that has about 4 minutes of conversation.

Whoops, Vito nailed it above, though Joyce Brothers got cut off.

Edited by Beau Vine

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

Matt Ryan. What the fuck is he going to add to the conversation?

I guess they couldn't find a bottle of vanilla that had 18  Sundays in the fall with nothing going on. That's an inspired selection

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

They were always terrible. You're just old now. 

There's kids and young adults out there loving it saying it's the best thing ever just like back in the 90s there were old dudes saying it sucks ass and not like it used to be with Cosell and Meridith

Edited by Hermanator
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

They were always terrible. You're just old now. 

There's kids and young adults out there loving it saying it's the best thing ever just like back in the 90s there were old dudes saying it sucks ass and not like it used to be with Cosell and Meridith

kids and young adults don't watch sports shows 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

God these pregame shows are terrible. The ex jocks in their fine suits putting on fake debate, pretending to bust balls ever so politely.  When they get to the big open area in the studio and, in their suits, line up against each other and pretend to demonstrate how to do a swim move or press cover a WR, it’s pretty cringy.  

• Like 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

the only pregame show i watch

Same. If I'm home, I start streaming redzone at kick of the noon games and let it run in the background as long as I'm home. If there are any good games I may fire that one up on my laptop.  I really dont give a fuck who they have in the studio for pregame/halftime, most of them are tools. When we were in LA for the Michigan Rose Bowl years ago, we met up at a bar with a guy I knew who lived in Orange County and he rolled in with a group that included Curt Menefee. Curt spent about 20  minutes trying to pick up a few of the chicks in our group and once he realized he  wasnt getting laid, he pouted for a bit and left on his own. I get that he wouldn't give any fucks about the rest of us, but he seemed like kind of an awkward chode in person. 

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

nuke em all.  Same for most of the dipshits on Fox as well.  They can keep Terry, but thats it.

Terry Bradshaw?? How old are you and why? 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, DougO said:
I never watch that shit anyway. It has become totally worthless. I just watch the games.

Same and this goes for any sport. These pre and post game shows are terrible now.

NBA and NHL on TNT are both great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Terry Bradshaw?? How old are you and why? 

NBA and NHL on TNT are both great. 

Yes, I will give you NBA on TNT. They are entertaining personalities. Don't watch NHL on TNT but if it's like the NBA version, I would assume it's good. All the others are generic bullshit now. Gameday used to be must watch for me to start college football Saturday. Or ESPN NFL Countdown on Sunday mornings. It's lame now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Same and this goes for any sport. These pre and post game shows are terrible now.

I even start UT games 10 minutes late to fast forward through the bullshit. Put the ball on the tee and start the fucking game.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Chris needs to get gone too

If you’re talking about Chris Berman. He sucked in the 70’s when he was on the unknown ESPN. He has sucked balls for 40 fucking years. He has not one single good take. And those fucking Nick names. Put a grenade in his mouth.
  • Like 3

Just now, Texzilla588 said:

If you’re talking about Chris Berman. He sucked in the 70’s when he was on the unknown ESPN. He has sucked balls for 40 fucking years. He has not one single good take. And those fucking Nick names. Put a grenade in his mouth.

I was talking about Chis Pick 6 Simms but yeah Berman needs to shut it down too

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
7 hours ago, DougO said:

As well as virtually ever sports talk commentary show in all media today. They just make fans stupider and less informed.