Expectations for the 2024 Texas Longhorns

BigOrange1

Regular Season Record  

221 members have voted

1. 1. What will Texas' regular season record be?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 08/31/24 at 03:59 PM

I'm not sure if May 1st qualifies as the beginning of the dog days of the offseason or not (my personal opinion is that the end of the College World Series and NBA Finals in mid to late June begins the true dog days), but either way I figure we're close enough and we've seen enough offseason player movement where we can start somewhat seriously discussing expectations for the 2024 season.  I think we are all pretty high on this program and we have big expectations for 2024.  My personal expectation is a 10-2 regular season record, a playoff appearance, and at least one win in the playoff.  If we get all that, it will be hard for me to see the season as anything other as a success.  At least that's how I see it 4 months from kickoff.  

What say you?

aggy: 3-9 is the best case. That SEC schedule is going to be a meatgrinder that kills off half their starters and the refs won't be favoring the Whorns. TU will be lucky to be within 3 TDs of any true SEC team as we watch Surk repeatedly choke on play calling. Michigan will obviously be a beatdown. Only wins might involve lucky breaks against Colorado State, UTSA, and Louisiana-Monroe, but those are not givens. Could easily be 1-11 as their BOMC-created five-stars get exposed by teams that actually coach up their players. Sips can't escape their DNA of wasting talent and soft big dumpster fire competition. They will find out that the SEC is a different conference and that The Elk is a different kind of coach. Whoop!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm going with 10-2 +/- 2.

Could be as bad as 8-4 (highly doubtful) and as good as 12-0 (highly likely). I definitely see 12-0 as probable and 8-4 as not, really. Maybe I should go with 11-1 +/-1, so 10-2 downside, 12-0 up.

We have a lot of good elements around and in the football program: high quality players, coaches, staff, infrastructure both material and psychological... so much that looks far better than we have had for so long. Last year was close, but no cigar. The possible single loss still lurks there, depends more on D than on O, I think. 

Gonna be a fun one.

• Hook 'Em 2

12-0 but I will admit to being an eternal optimist in the offseason. Even with our deficiencies on defense I think our offense is going to be strong to enough to get us there. Georgia is the only game I worry about. 

Head tells me 10-2, heart says 12-0. Rational thinking is overrated, heart it is.

Seriously though, Georgia game is in DKR and likely hot as fuck that day which has to give us an advantage. Yes it gets hot in Athens, but the heat hits different in Texas. We could slip up and lose a game, but unlike most people I don't think Georgia is that game, and damn sure better not be one of the jihad games against pig or aggy. Oh, and it would be great if our secondary doesn't fold like a deck chair against bloU.

2 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

I'll take 10-2

We win 8 of 9 vs CSU, UTSA, ULM, Vandy, Florida, Miss. St., Kentucky, Arkansas, and A&M

We win 2 of 3 vs Michigan, OU, UGA 

I will be royally pissed if we lose any of that group of nine.

18 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I will be royally pissed if we lose any of that group of nine.

Me too. It would be an upset. But we have a fluke upset game almost every season. Last year we squeaked by a couple of tight games, but we won't always win those.

5 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Me too. It would be an upset. But we have a fluke upset game almost every season. Last year we squeaked by a couple of tight games, but we won't always win those.

I think we will see fewer squeakers and more satisfying asskickings going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2

Better athletes in the SEC, but better coaches/smarter players in the big 12. 

it’ll be interesting to see how much of that 3 high look we get next year. Quinn/Sark will really take off next year if they don’t have that limitation

I’m thinking 11-1 and the lone L isn’t to either Michigan, OUsux, Georgia, or aggy. It’ll be some “strange” game that we rally behind to “right the ship” into the SEC Championship game, then playoffs.

Hook’em !!!

5 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

aggy: 3-9 is the best case. That SEC schedule is going to be a meatgrinder that kills off half their starters and the refs won't be favoring the Whorns. TU will be lucky to be within 3 TDs of any true SEC team as we watch Surk repeatedly choke on play calling. Michigan will obviously be a beatdown. Only wins might involve lucky breaks against Colorado State, UTSA, and Louisiana-Monroe, but those are not givens. Could easily be 1-11 as their BOMC-created five-stars get exposed by teams that actually coach up their players. Sips can't escape their DNA of wasting talent and soft big dumpster fire competition. They will find out that the SEC is a different conference and that The Elk is a different kind of coach. Whoop!

We don't understand what it means to play in the SEC. We don't know what it means to go into Alabama and nearly beat them. Aggie does. We don't share a brotherhood, an understanding and mutual respect with the tough SEC teams like Auburn, Bama and LSU. Aggie does. When they see Aggies, the fans nod at each other with understanding and shared values. We're not respected nationally like Aggie was when they received accolades for having the courage to fire a championship coach and pay him the largest buyout in the HISTORY OF SPORTS. Aggie does.

Aggies-NY-TIMES.jpg

That is why I am trying to organize the historic summit between Surly Horns and Texags. We can learn from them about championship football, how to become SEC-ready and how to structure buyouts. Stay tuned. 

• Haha 3

we surrendered multiple comebacks and barely escaped

0u is fair park and that is never given

expecting a big house win regardless of anything is folly

10-2 would be fantastic and get us in the playoffs again

10-2 is realistic

• Hook 'Em 2

Obviously we go 11-1. Our lone loss is to the 1-11 aggys who hang a banner for handing the national champs their only loss 
No, fuck that.

Not everything about it, but fuck it nonetheless. 12-0 or bust.

17 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

10-2.

Beat @Mich but lose to Georgia and some random SEC away game. Would not be surprised to go 8-4 either with the lack of a true defensive line.

Sheesh, we have a DL, it's just not as elite as last year (hence wanting another transfer). Collins and Savea with Moore and Sorrell/Simmons on the edges is plenty decent.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Sheesh, we have a DL, it's just not as elite as last year (hence wanting another transfer). Collins and Savea with Moore and Sorrell/Simmons on the edges is plenty decent.

Berra put some respek on Bill Norton 

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yea, this doomer DL narrative is tired. No we don’t have the 2 best DTs in college football this year. Neither did anyone else besides us last year. Edge will be improved because it couldn’t be worse.

Posted (edited)

Burke, Sorrell, Moore, Vasek, and Simmons will make sure our D-line won't take this massive step back like some forecast. Collins, Savea, Broughton, Norton, Mitchell (I hope), and even January will do their job enough to allow those guys to do work, thus will help make our secondary look much improved. 

That'll be $2.99 + tax 

Venmo me at @ousuckscock

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Added January and Mitchell

On 5/1/2024 at 3:29 PM, ousux said:

Seriously though, Georgia game is in DKR and likely hot as fuck that day which has to give us an advantage. Yes it gets hot in Athens, but the heat hits different in Texas.

Absolutely. Lived in Austin for 30 years and Atlanta the last 4; a ‘bad’ summer in ATL would feel like a warm fucking spring in Austin….

Texas may win the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.
If we do, I'll end up in jail because I'll walk around throat-punching douchebags who say we won a "natty".
Risky business since more than a few Longhorns players may refer to it that way. Personally idc what anyone calls it as long as it happens. It's been two decades now, 2005 is fading and will fade even faster with the demise of LHN.

11-1

Y'all need to grow a fucking pair for those of you thinking we lose to aggy. That shit just ain't happening. 

I could see us losing focus on a Miss ST, UK or the like. But we're going 4 for 4 on uga, um, ou sucks and aggy. 

Posted (edited)

Beat Michigan by 10 to 14

Beat ou by 10 to 14

Lose to UGA close

Beat aggy by 17+

Lose one other that we shoulda won

Maul everybody else

10-2 and in the playoff, counting our blessings that the stumble didn't cost us as it would have last year.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1