2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

17 minutes ago, Droopy said:

LHN playing 2005 Big XII Championship game. (Joel Klatt's Reckoning)

I remember watching that game with a Vol fan.  He kept bitching about us running up the score.  Bro.  We easily could have scored 100.  We called off the dogs 5 mins in to the 3rd qtr iirc.

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I remember watching that game with a Vol fan.  He kept bitching about us running up the score.  Bro.  We easily could have scored 100.  We called off the dogs 5 mins in to the 3rd qtr iirc.

Ha. I was in high school but arguing with a wanna be aggy that we ran the score up all year and we would get our come uppancr against USC. I took several rednecks money after that game. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The UMD defense is pretty much Aniebonam and ten JAGs - we shouldn't really know until USC.

It could be Anna Nicole Smih and ten FAGs and our offense might have trouble moving the ball. 

*I think we’ll be better offensively, but not a lot. Maybe slightly below average nationally. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

When a player becomes disengaged and disillusioned, they'll often times stop going to class. RHM stopped going to class in November. This wasn't a scenario of a player not being able to make the grade. He was an inexperienced moron for ceasing his classwork. Still, it's not hard to understand the correlation between his position coach breaking him down to the level that they guy wanted to quit the sport and him not making the grades.

I know it seems logical to link one with the other, but I know the girl who was dating RHM at the time and she told me it wasn't a specific coach that was the problem. He just was more interested in fucking around and not going to class, meetings, etc. She, coaches, his family - all were trying to get him to quit fucking around but he thought he could slide on talent and could go to some other big program if he needed to. Didn't work that way. I'm not saying Mehringer isn't a dick, but that wasn't the main problem.

Btw - last I heard she was dating another player - this time on the defense.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Modessit said:

I know it seems logical to link one with the other, but I know the girl who was dating RHM at the time and she told me it wasn't a specific coach that was the problem. He just was more interested in fucking around and not going to class, meetings, etc. She, coaches, his family - all were trying to get him to quit fucking around but he thought he could slide on talent and could go to some other big program if he needed to. Didn't work that way. I'm not saying Mehringer isn't a dick, but that wasn't the main problem.

Well it hardly excuses Mehringer, but that would explain retweeting all the Oregon edits. Thought he could pop on up to Eugene, no problem.

For a three-star reach take, that's a stupidly entitled attitude.

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I laughed. 

It's not pertinent to this thread, other than to mock HtownRube, but he's also recently advocated for abandoning recruiting DFW, since apparently that region no longer produces talent. This guy is gold.

That's not what I said you fucking moron. I said anyone that considers Texas has ceded recruiting D/FW based on the 2017 and 2018 classes is a fucking moron. Especially considering the OB article that started the discussion used the 2016 class and Brian Jean Mary as an example of when Texas recruited that area well. Texas just lost like their 5th member of the 2016 class from that area today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

Hmmm the roommate of the girl I was (kind of) dating last year was hooking up with Reggie for awhile that fall semester. Sounds like Reggie got around lol. 

FWIW she said the reason he was transferring was because he hated it here (no specific reason given) and she suspected he was struggling in class. It was the first time I had a news scoop before it became public, should have tried to ride it into a 9.95 job.

E: I cracked up with some friends one time because he told her he couldn't go to a formal with her because he had football practice. This would have been like a Friday night in December lmao.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Fuck You 1

Hmmm the roommate of the girl I was (kind of) dating last year was hooking up with Reggie for awhile that fall semester. Sounds like Reggie got around lol. 
FWIW she said the reason he was transferring was because he hated it here (no specific reason given) and she suspected he was struggling in class. It was the first time I had a news scoop before it became public, should have tried to ride it into a 9.95 job.
E: I cracked up with some friends one time because he told her he couldn't go to a formal with her because he had football practice. This would have been like a Friday night in December lmao.
Was the girl you know the daughter of a former player? If so, then it's probably the same person.

20 minutes ago, Modessit said:
50 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Was the girl you know the daughter of a former player? If so, then it's probably the same person.

Pix or it didn't happen.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Can we make that in dudes? Seriously, its a good shirt (maybe pull off "kickoff season") and I would rather give money to Surly's Etsy account than Academy.

Surly_Horns_Logo_2.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. Selling Surly tees might help offset costs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

Surly_Horns_Logo_2.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. Selling Surly tees might help offset costs. 

Cool design, but what's the over/under on how long it would take The University to issue a cease and desist order for use of the logo...or could CDC be persuaded to allow its use?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

Cool design, but what's the over/under on how long it would take The University to issue a cease and desist order for use of the logo...or could CDC be persuaded to allow its use?

I don’t think cdc would do a thing

but

The surly horns are uneven.....

no infrindgment

Edited by TexasTroll

30 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

And this is exactly why someone needs to get to the t shirt shop ASAP.  Get one to me before they are banned and become a collectors item 

51 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

As long as we ain't sawwin' em' off I would hope they could just chill. We should try to pay them a meager sum to charity or something. 

Side note, first ever new CDC improved tailgate plan for Tulsa game. I have a friend that has a small setup usually, but I'd rather bring my own ice chest and just walk around and rage with randoms. 

Surly tailgate when?

• Like 1

As long as we ain't sawwin' em' off I would hope they could just chill. We should try to pay them a meager sum to charity or something. I don't think it's really the money it's the trademarks or copyrights, if they don't defend it then they can lose it.

Side note, first ever new CDC improved tailgate plan for Tulsa game. I have a friend that has a small setup usually, but I'd rather bring my own ice chest and just walk around and rage with randoms. 

Surly tailgate when?

Edited by Zavala

Just now, texasdago said:

I love my Horns and all but, I mean, if you Princeton offers you a ride vs walk on... peace out.

I thought their rides weren't real rides. As in there's no money? I know I know financial aid yadada but maybe his family's income was too high

18 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I hope you guys are right, but I'm gonna need a little more than one guy catching a few more passes in the Spring game to believe our offensive coaching has really turned a corner.  My recollection of the spring game is we still looked like shit on offense and were quick to abandon run game with the RBs, which is the same shit we pulled last year.  

I'm gonna need the final seconds to tick off the clock on our 9th regular season win before I believe our coaching has turned a corner.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I remember deciding to sit in the beer selling endzone rather than better seats and loving that decision come the 3rd quarter.

43 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Still, this dude is the only guy on television that gives the big12 props.

Joel Klatt is maybe the best color guy in college football and he's absolutely one of the best analysts outside of calling the games. I don't know why people here don't enjoy him. He calls it straight and calls the SEC bullshit out on the reg.

29 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I thought their rides weren't real rides. As in there's no money? I know I know financial aid yadada but maybe his family's income was too high

They coordinate things like Pell Grants for guys they want to get in. No athletic scholarships, though.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Joel Klatt is maybe the best color guy in college football and he's absolutely one of the best analysts outside of calling the games. I don't know why people here don't enjoy him. He calls it straight and calls the SEC bullshit out on the reg.

Klatt is really good.  You can probably take the "maybe" out of the above. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with this.  Klatt has been very fair toward Texas, and even bullish on the Horns at times.  And all of that after losing a quarter of his brain after the Kelson hit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Joel Klatt is maybe the best color guy in college football and he's absolutely one of the best analysts outside of calling the games. I don't know why people here don't enjoy him.

Buffalo chip out front should have told you.

Honestly, though, I like him more than most of his peers, for precisely the reason you mention: he calls out the SEC bullshit.  If anybody knows how hard Big XII defenders can hit, it's definitely Klatt. He remembers.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Buffalo chip out front should have told you.

Honestly, though, I like him more than most of his peers, for precisely the reason you mention: he calls out the SEC bullshit.  If anybody knows how hard Big XII defenders can hit, it's definitely Klatt. He remembers.

He's argued that Texas played a major role in why CU, UNL, Missouri, and ATM left the Big 12, and to some degree he's correct, but beyond that, there's zero reason for Texas fans to have anything against him. Texas owned his ass, he's great at his job, and he hates the absurd shit with the SEC. Hell, I'm pondering doing a search to see what his thoughts are on the OSU situation, because I'd guess he's being less careful than most of the pussies softpedaling their thoughts on ESPN.

• Like 2