Game Atmosphere

blacklab

On 11/4/2018 at 11:53 AM, taybo20 said:

Scoreboard operator and godzillatron operator not in their A game yesterday. 

Also no more Bon Jovi “living on a prayer” sing along. Though maybe it was just foreshadowing for the game.

”we will rock you” is a little weak too. 

I hate the guy, but always thought Stranglehold would be awesome.

The Journey cell phone lights for 5 minutes after the song and the Bon Jovi singalong that bled into the game were actually really cool. If the students are engaged for stuff like that, it bodes really well for when we’re good.

it doesn’t matter if you like the songs- the important part is that the crowd was completely on board.

• Like 5

Yeah as much as I dislike it in theory having the students involved in the game (even if it takes a singalong) can’t be seen as anything other than a good thing.

Notes on tonight:

The students showed up and fully filled out their section, first time since USC and it was noticeable.

The stadium was loud and it made for a great atmosphere.

I was watching the West Virginia game at the exes center and heard they had it on the godzillatron inside the stadium.  I get that Herman might hate that but that’s what we need more of.  Sure maybe they can put on a game less impactful if available but if you want people in their seat for kickoff you need to offer them something to watch which is available at the tailgate, exes center and even Bevo blvd.  It’s a great idea (even if it’s obvious) that we should not just throw away because it was a distraction for our players today.

The band being mic’d up makes a huge difference, the speakers are just a bit too loud but that something I assume they’ll adjust once they have this all ironed out.

The flashlight singalong was dorky but I have to admit it looked cool.

The thank you fan fireworks were disappointing.  If they are going to do that again they need to spend a little more money on it.  We shouldn’t have weaker fireworks than a AAA baseball team.

What made the flashlight sing along great was the randomness of it all...

Note to in-game producer, don’t try and force it next season with some stupid prompt from jumbotron just let it happen, or not happen.

Also, I’ve been season ticket holder since 1995....hands down best student section ever. Keep it up “kids”

They were randomly showing the WVU game on the Jumbotron.  I'm not sure if there are contractual obligations preventing them from showing the game as it played out, but it would have been cool to see the end.  As it was, several thousand Longhorns were cheering from tv areas in the concourse.

As it was my 1st game at DKR since '94, yeah, pretty damn big difference in atmosphere.

Journey song....  Bon Jovi....why not sweet Caroline at the end of the game as well?   Fucking Christ.  

Get off off my lawn.  We won!  Fuck Kansas!

The organic cell phone lightshow was amazing. Great crowd. You have no lawn anymore, you’re full on senior center.
  • Like 1

I saw the Journey sing-along on the interwebz feed after I found a feed, because I don't get the Longhorn Network among the ~400+ channels on Xfinity where I live.

I really liked this sound, especially when the crowd kept singing when the music was killed just after the end of this video.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, po elvis said:

ISU fan turned to me during the game and said "Got to give you something. Its loud in here." That was my aggy moment.

That was NEVER said during my years in Austin. 

(Though I did miss a beat down of #3 UofH that fell in between my start & finish, but when I was not enrolled on the 40 Acres.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigbend1812 said:

Journey song....  Bon Jovi....why not sweet Caroline at the end of the game as well?   Fucking Christ.  

Get off off my lawn.  We won!  Fuck Kansas!

They did do Sweet Caroline , it was just later after the game.  Students were singing it in the background when LHN switched over to Ricky, Shipley et al.

Good crowd, as has been touched on. Definitely got loud when it needed to. Do agree that they overdo it at times with the music from godzillatron.

I sit on the east side and could definitely see pockets of empty seats on the blue hair west side. Disappointed the olds couldn't be bothered to fill their sections but probably wouldn't have changed much in terms of atmosphere anyway. Only other pockets of empty seats I could notice were at the very top corners of the upper deck. I'd guess 95k actual attendance, which is a lot better than we've seen in November for.

. Well, a while.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 89Horn said:

They did do Sweet Caroline , it was just later after the game.  Students were singing it in the background when LHN switched over to Ricky, Shipley et al.

Stupid, but cool.

Going forward, I would suggest "Let It Bleed"

the phone lights thing was pretty cool, even for this old, cynical, get off my lawn dude.

I think we had recruits visiting. i bet they LOVED IT!!!

this cant be something new though, can it? Been done at other stadiums, by other fan bases, i would imagine.

I like the stadium experience and ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ is cool but since there are millions of songs, thousands of Texas artists and hundreds of songs about Texas, I sometimes wonder why we can’t tap into a more unique selection of songs that are bit less like the same songs played at so many other stadiums and more personal to Austin, Texas.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

I like the stadium experience and ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ is cool but since there are millions of songs, thousands of Texas artists and hundreds of songs about Texas, I sometimes wonder why we can’t tap into a more unique selection of songs that are bit less like the same songs played at so many other stadiums and more personal to Austin, Texas.

It’s be cool if somehow the students added little chants or whatever to a song... to really make it “ours”

23 minutes ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

Back in the day, before Jerry built the death star, they'd play Willie's "mommas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys" at Texas Stadium, and that always was a hit with the crowd.

13 minutes ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

One could argue that the Album Rock / Arena Tour era was at it's peak in 1981 when Foreigner 4 was released on 1 July and Journey's Escape was released on 17 July.  The fact that many of our student body were born to parents who were too young to attend the concerts on those tours is truly remarkable to me.  The "cool" factor of attending The University just went up a notch.

For the yutes who don't understand the meme going on here, when a band went off stage "at the end of the show" ("thank you very much - good night!" - g.lee) the entire arena would hold up their cigarette lighters, simulating an arena full of candles, imploring their heroes to return to the stage for an "encore" (which was always pre-scripted anyway).

aggy will steal this meme next saturday night and claim it was their idea.

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That’s not a bad idea. Online poll and vote outside the stadium before the game but don’t show the results. During a break the 4 options go up on Godzilla (kinda like the attendance quiz). One by one the options are erased until you get to one and the song kicks in over the PA. 

Texas games and Texas atmosphere has been atrocious since I remember.  We've never been an intimidating stadium.  Games like 08 mizzou, notre dame, usc were awesome and I like that CDC is trying to get our gameday experience to be more rowdy.  The students brought it this year and it was all because of CDC's and Herman's efforts.   That journey song was fucking awesome and it got the stadium involved and the players loved it, the students loved it, and the recruits loved it.  We're not even close but there's no reason why our stadium and gameday experience shouldn't be at the top of college football with the likes of LSU, Clemson, etc.  I hope that stadium is rocking for LSU next year.  I will be there screaming my ass off like I was this year for USC.  

• Like 3

Last night was the best atmosphere since Notre Dame, and I might even say it was better. There was something different. We stood the whole time in my and surrounding sections. Fans were engaged and you could sense that everyone understood how important this game was. I took a buddy who is quickly becoming a fan after living in Austin for a little over a year. He had a blast. 

• Like 1

How about instead of ‘Jump’ by LA’s House of Pain like everybody else they play ‘Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta’ (the radio version without the N word) by Texas’ own Geto Boys instead?

How about instead of ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ by SF’s Journey like everybody else they play ‘I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide’ by Texas’ own ZZ Top.

How About instead of ‘Sweet Caroline,’ like everybody else they play ‘Texas’ by Chris Rea.

A senior makes a great play, play ‘You’re Gonna Miss Me’ by the 13th Floor Elevators.

The defense makes a stand, play ‘Tuff Enuff’ by the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Almost halftime, how about ‘Una Mas Cerveza’ by the Texas Tornados.

The possibility’s are endless so why be common when you can be iconic?

Edited by Hooky Hornstein
Left a damn word out
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

One could argue that the Album Rock / Arena Tour era was at it's peak in 1981 when Foreigner 4 was released on 1 July and Journey's Escape was released on 17 July.  The fact that many of our student body were born to parents who were too young to attend the concerts on those tours is truly remarkable to me.  The "cool" factor of attending The University just went up a notch.

For the yutes who don't understand the meme going on here, when a band went off stage "at the end of the show" ("thank you very much - good night!" - g.lee) the entire arena would hold up their cigarette lighters, simulating an arena full of candles, imploring their heroes to return to the stage for an "encore" (which was always pre-scripted anyway).

The Reunion Arena stop on Foreigner's Foreigner 4 Tour was my first concert ever.

I was pretty darned young, but the weed was EVERYWHERE that show and since I'd never seen it or smelled it before in my life, for the next decade or so, the smell of weed alway reminded me of that concert. I think that there was one song in the middle of the entire set that people sat down for and listened to the band sing something that no-one knew or cared for, but the rest of the show was a Standup Sing-Along.

After that concert, my friends and I would buy BIC lighters, remove the metal flame guard, turn the butane up to produce a 4 to 6 inch flame, replace the metal flame guard onto the lighter, and then energetically... and eventually drunkenly, fire up our flame throwers through the night, but especially when cheering for an encore. 

Now the kids hold up phones that occasionally get a little warm and have the possibility of exploding on a flight, but that don't burn as many fingers in arenas & stadiums.

Perhaps we save "Don't Stop Believing" for Senior Night, but we get other songs throughout the season.

7 minutes ago, Hooky Hornstein said:

How about instead of ‘Jump’ by LA’s House of Pain like everybody else they play ‘Damn It Feels Good to be a Gangsta’ (the radio version without the N word) by Texas’ own Geto Boys instead?

How about instead of ‘Don’t Stop Believing’ by SF’s Journey like everybody else they play ‘I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide’ by Texas’ own ZZ Top.

How About instead of ‘Sweet Caroline,’ like everybody else how about they play ‘Texas’ by Chris Rea.

A senior makes a great play, play ‘You’re Gonna Miss Me’ by the 13th Floor Elevators.

The defense makes a stand, play ‘Tuff Enuff’ by the Fabulous Thunderbirds.

Almost halftime, how about ‘Una Mas Cerveza’ by the Texas Tornados.

The possibility’s are endless by why be common when you be iconic?

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Because the songs played have mass appeal vs the songs you listed and people from most generations those songs.

I liked that the Journey song was used rather than a "We're Texas" song.

It was so refreshing to have something that has nothing to do with Austin or Texas or Cowboys or Steel Guitars...

For a long time (and maybe they still do), the Texas PA announcer would include the Slippery Rock football score at the end of long list of nationally ranked teams' & conference teams' scores. The randomness & obscurity of a score from Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania being a score that was announced last in every scoring update with the fans hoping that lowly Slippery Rock would be winning, or would have won their game was a great memory from games during my college days.

Having a song that people love, but that here-to-for had nothing to do with the state is a nice change from the norm.