The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

35 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I've told this story around here before, as a former reasonably reliable Republican voter (I voted in the primary several times).  One time, probably in 1998 or so, I decided to go to the precinct convention.  Our precinct chair was (shocker here) an old white dude in the lumber business -- I knew him personally, a pretty decent guy.  Someone showed up at our little 12 person meeting with some pre-drafted resolutions that were HIDEOUSLY nativist, xenophobic, and anti-immigrant.  I argued against them, and our precinct chair really managed to kill them with a "well, I'm pretty damned sure that our governor [W, at that time] wouldn't agree with any of these."  That worked, the nutbar and his couple of buddies were the only "yes" votes.

After the meeting, I hung around to chat with the precinct chair to ask "WTF was THAT?"  And he sighed, and then explained "that sort of guy started showing up at these meetings a couple of years ago.  Every time, there's a couple more of them, and they're better prepared.  If we don't watch out, they'll take over the party."  24 years ago.  He was DEAD FUCKING RIGHT, and I've never forgotten his warning that turned into a prophecy.

That was my first and last precinct convention, by the way.  It was also the first big moment in my turn away from the party.

Nothing I said is inconsistent with that.  My point is that people haven't been paying attention, and now it's probably too late.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Nothing I said is inconsistent with that.  My point is that people haven't been paying attention, and now it's probably too late.

No argument there.

The first lie we tell ourselves -- "it's not going to get that bad, the people shouting warnings are chicken littles -- I actually get.  It's human nature to not want to believe a wall of shit is coming for you.

But it's the second lie -- "okay, it's that bad, but whatever, my taxes are nice and my 401k is doing well, so I don't care about all the bad shit" -- that's the one I don't get.  It speaks to being completely devoid of any empathy.  "Sure, it's shitty for the country, and other people, but hey, I haven't been hurt yet and I am doing okay, so I'll go along with it."  I just can't understand that one.

19 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I lived in Houston, and I loved it.  But I’ve watched the state devolve in the past 3 years.  It’s terrible.  I had a friend in Houston recently move to LA because her daughter had racist things said about her in school, and she lived in West U, an allegedly diverse, well educated enclave.  Where do you think the little racists learned it from?  It’s disgusting.

Yeah I’m sadly well aware. There’s all sorts of hateful fucked up shit going on down here but dammit some of us real Texans have to stick around and at least give it a good fight. 

With that being said, I don’t blame you or anyone else who got the fuck out or who’s planning on bailing. If it weren’t for campus and some of the still old fashion cool places in Austin are worth fighting for, I’d most likely be looking for a new home. Maybe I’ll change my mind one day but I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else

Edited by Fletch

Our current plan is to stay. I’m hoping there are a lot of quiet people that have had enough of the GOP’s shit. I know there is a bigger liberal group in my neighborhood than what speaks up. Hell, there is a trans flag flying the next street over.

That said - We need 5 - 6 years before we sell and go. That’s if things go from bad to worse. My kid will be out of school at that point, so we can really go anywhere in the world. I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Our current plan is to stay. I’m hoping there are a lot of quiet people that have had enough of the GOP’s shit. I know there is a bigger liberal group in my neighborhood than what speaks up. Hell, there is a trans flag flying the next street over.

That said - We need 5 - 6 years before we sell and go. That’s if things go from bad to worse. My kid will be out of school at that point, so we can really go anywhere in the world. I really hope it doesn’t come to that.

Our kid is the only reason we are staying for now. Born and raised in Austin so luckily we are in a bubble but I'm ready to leave and have a couple friends who are making the move to other states purely for political reasons. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It's not a minority in the GOP anywhere. It's mostly old people, though. There's light at the end of the tunnel if people currently in their 40s can figure out a way to not become brain damerged like their parents did over the next decade.

16 hours ago, Blotto said:

Narrator: there was no light.

It wasnt a bunch of olds stuffed in that back of that Proud Boys van in Idaho. There's a campus of 70K trumptards just a couple of hours from Austin. this isnt just an "olds" problem. 

The guys stuffed in the back of that U-Haul were textbook incels.  While there may have been a few that had degrees, maybe even a few, I dunno, real estate agents, looking at the mug shots, these were classic incel losers who were probably working shit jobs, and they were angry at the world because of their (chosen) place in life, that they were only thousandaires (if that).  They were looking for somebody to blame, and in their heads, the queers and the blacks and Jews and George Soros were the reason why they had shit lives and shit jobs.

All of these people are damaged.  Hell, even the Jan. 6 rioters who had decent jobs had clear mental health issues if they were buying into Qanon bullshit, and the fact that so many of the Jan. 6 people that were busted were self-employed, or on welfare or pensions, or had jobs that allowed them a lot of free time to fall down the internet Qanon rabbit hole is telling.

These people have always been around, but I don't think they are the vast majority by any means, and the reason you didn't hear about them in the past (outside of the lone wolf types like Timothy McVeigh, etc.) is because they didn't have the internet to easily organize and meet up with each other and amplify their voices. Also, these days they are being publicly used and manipulated by Republican politicians and outlets like Fox News.

It's like when people are surprised at how many buy into conspiracy theories, but I followed some of the conspiracy stuff in the late 80s and into the 90s (JFK), and 30 years ago it was not easy to organize and spread the word on a large level.  These groups met in small numbers in student unions or the backs of alternative book stores, having met because of some ad placed in some local alternative paper or a posting on a bulletin board in a bookstore or around a college campus. Occasionally they'd have conventions in larger cities, but even those had to be spread by word-of-mouth and in the backs of alternative newspapers and physical mailing lists.

These days?  You can hop on Facebook and join a group of like-minded individuals, and post a notice about some event you want to protest, and within minutes you'll have a shitload of people marking the post that they are going to be attending, or that they are sharing it with others.

Unfortunately the non-incel Republicans who don't buy into the radical shit, to the point where they get in a UHaul with dozens of other men (NTTIAWWT), are still pulling the lever for candidates that have (R) next to their names regardless of the mental health status of those candidates or that those candidates are sucking up to Trump or Qanon nuts or whatever, because they think the (D) candidates are even more nuts than the nuts within the GOP.

And definitely unfortunately, the incel types who hop in the back of UHauls don't have anything to lose - they don't have nice jobs, nice homes, loving families, etc., and so they have very little skin in the game, and are more than happy to throw everything away because they think somebody wronged them.  

When you see some motherfucker bragging about how many hundreds of hours he's spent on the range, how many thousands of dollars he's spent on ammo, guns, etc., but bitches about his job at the gas station or Walmart or whatever, remember that he could have invested those hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into the local community college and come away with an associates degree and the chance to have a much better job than what he has (and/or be working towards a four-year degree).  Or he could have joined the military and had the G.I. Bill waiting for him.  

But he chose to play the victim instead.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

We just have to wait for the olds to die off so racism/hate/homophobia/etc die off 

This is said by every generation and it's a lie people tell themselves. That shit is taught from olds to young. Nothing will change unless you change it now. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

We just have to wait for the olds to die off so racism/hate/homophobia/etc die off 

This is said by every generation and it's a lie people tell themselves. That shit is taught from olds to young. Nothing will change unless you change it now. 

Yep.  Old shitbags are really good at grooming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

This along with better education, but guess where red states rank?  

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I love the hell out of Maryland.  Really--have a true conservative governor that has worked out without ever capitulating to Trump, especially since he has to work with elected Democrat everything else.  There are so many parks and green spaces and I can be in NYC in the same time as it takes to drive from Dallas to Houston.  And there's all the other cities in between or take a 40 minute plane ride and be in Boston, or under three hour flight to Miami.  Geography is great too.  I used to think housing here was too expensive but Texas is every bit as comparable in prices.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I love the hell out of Maryland.  Really--have a true conservative governor that has worked out without ever capitulating to Trump, especially since he has to work with elected Democrat everything else.  There are so many parks and green spaces and I can be in NYC in the same time as it takes to drive from Dallas to Houston.  And there's all the other cities in between or take a 40 minute plane ride and be in Boston, or under three hour flight to Miami.  Geography is great too.  I used to think housing here was too expensive but Texas is every bit as comparable in prices.  

My best buddy from HS did some time in Maryland, working for Boeing on one of the bays off the ocean.  He said the people out there were really odd.  That's not all that unusual in rural anywhere, but he didn't enjoy it and his wife hated it. 

I've heard lots of good things about Baltimore, I need to visit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Well there's that corrupted quote from misattributed Churchill about your heart going away when you get older and become "conservative." The part about brains is idiotic on its face.

spacer.png

Whatever the original quote, I don't think celebrating the loss of heart was part of the general gist. Throw in the insecurity of white men feeling that they don't come off tough enough, and there you are. Maybe the above were always hateful rednecks, but there's little question that some people devolve that way.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My best buddy from HS did some time in Maryland, working for Boeing on one of the bays off the ocean.  He said the people out there were really odd.  That's not all that unusual in rural anywhere, but he didn't enjoy it and his wife hated it. 

Are You Sure GIF by Liz Huett

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yep, those western shore folks are proud shorebillies.

How Shorebilly Brewing Company Won the Trademark Battle, but Lost the War:  A Cautionary Tale for Entrepreneurs - Koval - 2018 - Journal of Legal  Studies Education - Wiley Online Library

On 6/20/2022 at 7:02 PM, mchookem said:

jfc i am OUT of here this week! hallelujah. i never, ever thought i would feel this way so strongly. 15 hours of Texas history/govt at UT, 30 year career of Texas public service, a Longhorn since high school and it's all just dissolving into this hot, angry, mean mess with even UT in the crosshairs and people trying to rip it apart, fuck the "Liberty" Institute, fuck the SEC, fuck aggy in particular, fuck all these Texas leaders who DO NOT CARE about Texans, im just looking forward to GTFO of this hot mess 🤘💔

source.gif

On 6/21/2022 at 5:36 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I lived in Houston, and I loved it.  But I’ve watched the state devolve in the past 3 years.  It’s terrible.  I had a friend in Houston recently move to LA because her daughter had racist things said about her in school, and she lived in West U, an allegedly diverse, well educated enclave.  Where do you think the little racists learned it from?  It’s disgusting.

23 hours ago, Goredho said:

We are going to need a “Texpatriates” thread.

23 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I left last year. We definitely need one

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have disliked everywhere I have ever lived post Austin.  It takes some acclimation. 

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

What an idiot.

I'm only saddened that Goodell didn't respond with, "Congressman, can you recite the first five words of the First Amendment for me?"

Edited by Beau Vine
counting is hard.
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

South Dakota AG was impeached by the Senate. This is the guy that was driving drunk, hit a man at night, thought it was a deer and tried to cover his ass later.

South Dakotan here. I do not believe he was driving drunk because he doesn't drink. The rest is true. He was distracted while driving, hit a guy, drove with him on his hood for like 7 seconds and somehow still thought it was a deer. All 4 tires were over the rumble strip. The guy he hit was carrying a flashlight and he claimed he didn't see it. His story changed a number of times from "I wasn't on my phone" to "I was reading news headlines right before". He has a history of speeding while driving and every time he got pulled over since he's been in office he always drops the "I'm the Attorney General" line. 

The thing that sucked is Noem was pushing for him to be removed and I never want to agree with her on anything. And of course she goes and takes a victory lap tweet after he was removed from office. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I've said it plenty of times before, but man, he keeps earning it: never in my lifetime would the prospects for humanity as a whole be improved so much by the quick death (choking on a Big Mac, whatever) of a single person.

He is a cancer, a pestilence, a disease, a festering boil.  The sooner he is not on this planet, the better for the rest of us.

Thanks for the reminder to get out and buy a really, really nice bottle of champagne that I will save for the day that motherfucker takes his last breath on this earth.

• Hook 'Em 2

Of course, McCarthy and others are "no's" on the paper-thin gun reform bill that is likely to be passed by the Senate. Pieces of shit, all of them.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/politics/house-republicans-bipartisan-gun-bill/index.html

(CNN)House Republican leaders are lining up in opposition to a recently unveiled bipartisan gun safety bill and plan to urge their members to vote "no," even as the Senate moves toward passage of the bill this week.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy of California and House Minority Whip Steve Scalise of Louisiana announced during a closed-door conference meeting on Wednesday that they are both a "no" on the Senate's bipartisan gun deal, according to a source in the room.

House GOP conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik of New York said in a statement she also plans to vote against the bill, meaning the top 3 members of House Republican leadership are all united in opposing the legislation.

House GOP leaders also plan to formally whip against the Senate's bipartisan gun bill, according to Republican sources. A formal whip notice is expected to go out on Wednesday.

But even with House GOP leaders opposing the bill, there are already some Republican members who have indicated they plan to vote for it, and the Democrat-controlled House is expected to be able to pass the legislation once it passes in the Senate.

The Senate appears to be on track to pass the measure as early as this week. If passed, it would amount to the most significant new federal legislation to address gun violence since the expired 10-year assault weapons ban of 1994 -- though it fails to ban any weapons and falls far short of what Democrats and polls show most Americans want to see.

Enter your email to sign up for CNN's The Point with Chris Cillizza.

close dialog

CNN's Chris Cillizza cuts through the political spin and tells you what you need to know.

Sign Me Up

No Thanks

By subscribing, you agree to our

privacy policy.

Republican Rep. Tony Gonzales announced on Twitter on Wednesday that he intends to vote yes on the bipartisan gun bill, saying, "As a Congressman it's my duty to pass laws that never infringe on the Constitution while protecting the lives of the innocent."

Gonzales represents Uvalde, Texas, where a recent mass shooting at an elementary school shocked the nation and led to public outcry.

"In the coming days I look forward to voting YES on the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act," Gonzales said.

GOP Rep. Fred Upton of Michigan also told CNN he's a "yes" on the bill.

The Senate voted to advance the bill on Tuesday evening, a key step toward final passage. And the chamber appears poised to soon pass the legislation after 14 GOP senators voted with Democrats in Tuesday's procedural vote -- more than the 10 required to join with Democrats to overcome a filibuster on the bill. A vote to overcome a filibuster is expected to take place on Thursday.

The legislation marks the first major federal gun safety measure in a generation, a significant achievement in a highly polarized political environment where gun policy is among the most contentious issues.

The bill includes millions of dollars for mental health, school safety, crisis intervention programs and incentives for states to include juvenile records in the National Instant Criminal Background Check system.

It also makes significant changes to the process when someone ages 18 to 21 goes to buy a firearm and closes the so-called boyfriend loophole, a major victory for Democrats, who had fought for a decade for that.

In contrast to the decision by the top 3 House Republican leaders to oppose the bill, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has said he plans to support it.

McConnell praised the bipartisan gun violence legislation on Wednesday as a "package of commonsense and popular solutions to make these horrific incidents less likely" that will not "touch the rights of the overwhelming majority of American gun owners who are law-abiding citizens of sound mind."

He said past attempts to pass legislation to curb mass shootings at schools and elsewhere stalled because Democrats tried to "roll back" people's Second Amendment rights.

"This time is different. This time the Democrats came our way and agreed to advance some commonsense solutions without rolling back rights for law-abiding citizens. The result is a product I'm proud to support," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer reiterated on Wednesday that he intends to "secure final passage" of the bipartisan gun safety legislation before the end of the week.

"It is my intention now to keep the process moving quickly and secure final passage before the week's end," Schumer said in floor remarks.

He pointed to the 64 senators who supported the bill's advancement on Tuesday night, as "an unmistakable sign of the broad support and momentum behind this bill.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Thanks for the reminder to get out and buy a really, really nice bottle of champagne that I will save for the day that motherfucker takes his last breath on this earth.

This came up in conversation with my wife this last weekend, as we were out at a rather nice establishment.  I told her "you better hope that when it happens, we aren't in someplace like this when we get the news -- because I'm ordering the best goddamned champagne they have, and pouring EVERYONE in the house a glass."

Truly, I can't imagine what the celebration of that day will be like.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Of course, McCarthy and others are "no's" on the paper-thin gun reform bill that is likely to be passed by the Senate. Pieces of shit, all of them.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/politics/house-republicans-bipartisan-gun-bill/index.html

In the end, there will be nothing done.  Just like all the ones before.  I really can't conceive of anything bad enough that would result in stricter gun laws.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This came up in conversation with my wife this last weekend, as we were out at a rather nice establishment.  I told her "you better hope that when it happens, we aren't in someplace like this when we get the news -- because I'm ordering the best goddamned champagne they have, and pouring EVERYONE in the house a glass."

Truly, I can't imagine what the celebration of that day will be like.

I pray it happens while  in the rural bar I frequent.  Everyone there knows I hate dotard and all who support him.

Ill buy everyone in there shot after shot to celebrate.

And most of the trumpkins there will accept them b/c they’re flat broke but love voting against their own self interests to own the libs  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mango4 said:

The thing that sucked is Noem was pushing for him to be removed and I never want to agree with her on anything. And of course she goes and takes a victory lap tweet after he was removed from office. 

As a Texan, can I just say

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

That tweet, not Noem, although….

• Hook 'Em 1

Some claim this movie is meant to make little kids gay. I recently saw it with my kids, and my impressions of it are that after watching it, I immediately felt a strong urge to go into the theater next door where Top Gun 2 was playing, strip off my shirt, oil up my chest, and start sucking dicks.

• Hook 'Em 1