2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

I live within the projected zone of totality, but very near (~3 miles) to the eastern edge. In a situation like that, if I look to the east, will I see terrain in that direction which is still illuminated by the sun, while I'm in (relative) darkness? Will the eastern part of the sky remain lit like a sunrise? With the cloud cover it's probably moot, but I'd like to know what I'm missing.

8 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

I live within the projected zone of totality, but very near (~3 miles) to the eastern edge. In a situation like that, if I look to the east, will I see terrain in that direction which is still illuminated by the sun, while I'm in (relative) darkness? Will the eastern part of the sky remain lit like a sunrise? With the cloud cover it's probably moot, but I'd like to know what I'm missing.

you would have to be at 10000' elevation looking at mountains 100 miles away to notice any difference

that is an extremely rare circumstance in the path of totality

• Hook 'Em 1

So people understand in terms of the lighting given off by an eclipse (even with clear skies) it’s going to just appear like a semi-overcast day right? It’s not going to be anything close to dark or pitch black? It’s an amazing amount of hype for something that’s going to underwhelm pretty much everyone. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I had given up but went out and some times cloud cover is thin enough to where sun outline is very visible and some times it is thick. Dammit there is hope and now it will be random luck what we get during totality.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

So people understand in terms of the lighting given off by an eclipse (even with clear skies) it’s going to just appear like a semi-overcast day right? It’s not going to be anything close to dark or pitch black? It’s an amazing amount of hype for something that’s going to underwhelm pretty much everyone. 

I've seen it described more like short-term twilight not overcast, in terms of light.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I've seen it described more like short-term twilight not overcast, in terms of light.

There was an eclipse here in 2017 and a few months ago. Definitely just looked like it was a cloudy day outside for a few minutes. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Is this expected to be any different than a fat guy standing up in front of me at a football game? I'm trying to understand all the hype. Saw one decades ago and was very underwhelmed. Anything different this go round?

I've been hanging around with this guy and a bird during the day and this woman and her really angry wolf-dog at night. They are on their way to see a priest, they promised I would see some shit during the eclipse.

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There was an eclipse here in 2017 and a few months ago. Definitely just looked like it was a cloudy day outside for a few minutes. 

So you have never seen one? 2017 was amazing. darkness and silence.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

So you have never seen one? 2017 was amazing. darkness and silence.

Trust Hloby.  He's the one in the right and everyone else is wrong.  These things come around all the time, and they are a nothingburger....

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Fingers crossed on the site I've picked out. It's called Heaven's Bench - its part of the Kingdom Trails Association system (see here and here). Elevated position with some good sight lines. I'm really hoping its a touch below most people's radar

https://www.kingdomtrails.org/solar-eclipse-2024

Edited by Captain Ron

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

At first I thought you were asking a question.  Then I realized you're making one of your classic predictions.

In the path of totality, it should essentially be dark for a few minutes, depending on location.

Now my actual question:  in Austin, how long is the "slightly dark -> dark -> slightly dark" cycle expected to last?

16 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I had given up but went out and some times cloud cover is thin enough to where sun outline is very visible and some times it is thick. Dammit there is hope and now it will be random luck what we get during totality.

That video was made in a dark room with black construction paper, a hole punch, flashlight and cigarette.

The one from last October isn’t remotely close to what this one is supposed to be like.

I can’t speak to 2017 since we weren’t in the path of totality but my parents went to Tennessee for it and they said it was pretty amazing. There are people who chase things all over the world. Pretty sure it’s not a “nothingburger.” I just hope the clouds cooperate.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Extremely bright where I am with a good bit of cloud cover, but some blue is starting to break through. Seems like the sun might be burning away some of the cover. 

It would be ironic - or something - if the sun burned off the clouds, but then the eclipse cooled things off, allowing clouds to form again, only to have the sun burn the clouds off again after the eclipse.

I'll neg myself.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The one from last October isn’t remotely close to what this one is supposed to be like.

I can’t speak to 2017 since we weren’t in the path of totality but my parents went to Tennessee for it and they said it was pretty amazing. There are people who chase things all over the world. Pretty sure it’s not a “nothingburger.” I just hope the clouds cooperate.

I was in Oregon for the one in 2017.  Definitely got darker than just a regular cloudy day.  Also got much cooler.  Some pics in the link below......

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c25PQdsuRWAeLNrq9

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.2870ce1be7c6efd7eec0e1227f102250.png

Made myself a cheat sheet ... these values are for my location specifically (Dripping Springs).

Hoping for a continued thinning of that damned coastal flow.

Edited by RamjetFDO
The "partial" lines are just reminders for me to get regular shots of the progressing crescent Sun ... but may be a bust if clouds are there at the time.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Best loop of clouds (visible blue - not the most promising, the stuff is moving N/NE just ahead of the moon!) However, you can see a stream of dry air that's trying to work its way SE. Maybe that'll be the big surprise for the day!

FYI:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=sp&band=01&length=24

Edited by phdhorn

I was at a 98% totality spot in 2017 so didn’t get the full effect, but watching the moon creep across the face of the sun through the glasses was very interesting, and having the amount of light/ heat that we did get from that 2% really drove home how much energy the sun puts out.