Mack Brown Tarheel Football: The Orange Slice Boogaloo

Machinator

A few weeks ago some team made a bizarre (IMO) choice to go for 2 and it made me think of whatever stupid philosophy Mack adopted for a few seasons. I couldn’t remember exactly until Mack did it last night. 

Down 17 to Clemson, they scored a TD. Logic says kick the xp and be down 10 because:

a. you’re down two scores regardless

b. a TD+xp+FG will tie it

c. If other team gets a FG, 2 TDs for you would win it vs. if you fail a 2pt your 2 TDs would tie in this common scenario 

d. Sometimes fluky safety shit happens in college ball, so take the gimme XP now and possibly attempt the 2pt later.

Nope, Mack goes for 2, and doesn’t get it, so he’s down 11 and would’ve had to go for 2 AGAIN just to tie it when he could’ve kicked two xp’s. I remember some Mack loyalists on shaggy used to defend this shit with logic of “go for 2 now; if you make it you can kick xp later for the win and if you don’t make it you can go for 2 again later to tie!” That’s stupid, if you want to be aggressive and play for the win, you can go for 2 on your next TD. If you zealously believe 2pt conversion odds are >50%, have some balls and go for 2 after every TD.

image.jpeg

Edited by Murfdogg21

Mack had to have Brewster beg and plead to take Vince Young. He botched the Manziel, RG3, & Luck deals too so overall he is an idiot at the QB position. He definitely was a blind squirrel who found and acorn in McCoy.

I do not miss his petulant BS and frequent colon perforations by the Sooners.

I don't root against him but I do laugh when he chokes on applesauce.

We are really astonishingly close to only being 30 years ahead of aggy on the ineptitude clock had Mack been left to his vices.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Mack had to have Brewster beg and plead to take Vince Young. He botched the Manziel, RG3, & Luck deals too so overall he is an idiot at the QB position. He definitely was a blind squirrel who found and acorn in McCoy.

I do not miss his petulant BS and frequent colon perforations by the Sooners.

I don't root against him but I do laugh when he chokes on applesauce.

We are really astonishingly close to only being 30 years ahead of aggy on the ineptitude clock had Mack been left to his vices.

He's gotten some decent QBs at UNC

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

A few weeks ago some team made a bizarre (IMO) choice to go for 2 and it made me think of whatever stupid philosophy Mack adopted for a few seasons. I couldn’t remember exactly until Mack did it last night. 

Down 17 to Clemson, they scored a TD. Logic says kick the xp and be down 10 because:

a. you’re down two scores regardless

b. a TD+xp+FG will tie it

c. If other team gets a FG, 2 TDs for you would win it vs. if you fail a 2pt your 2 TDs would tie in this common scenario 

d. Sometimes fluky safety shit happens in college ball, so take the gimme XP now and possibly attempt the 2pt later.

Nope, Mack goes for 2, and doesn’t get it, so he’s down 11 and would’ve had to go for 2 AGAIN just to tie it when he could’ve kicked two xp’s. I remember some Mack loyalists on shaggy used to defend this shit with logic of “go for 2 now; if you make it you can kick xp later for the win and if you don’t make it you can go for 2 again later to tie!” That’s stupid, if you want to be aggressive and play for the win, you can go for 2 on your next TD. If you zealously believe 2pt conversion odds are >50%, have some balls and go for 2 after every TD.

image.jpeg

Watch the 1969 Arkansas game, then discuss this with Coach Royal.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/welter-unc-grass-might-not-be-greener-but-the-culture-needs-a-different-shade-of-blue-whether-mack-brown-stays-or-goes/21168236/

Seat is heating up for MB.  A lot of Mack’s greatest hits quoted. Felt like I was reading a Red River Recap. 

Here is the summary paragraph from the article:

“Athletic director Bubba Cunningham will have to find a replacement for Brown eventually whether Brown retires on his own or is forced out. Yes, he's one of the few active national championship winning coaches and will always have a special place in Tar Heel history, but this was never meant to be a permanent solution. The grass might not be greener after he's gone, but the culture at Carolina needs a different shade of blue whether he stays or goes.”

• 3 weeks later...

Can't beat rival NC State anymore... 😂😂😂😂

Mack Brown calls out Dave Doeren for "classless" comment

image.png.49f4de6d81e0b2c032d48663e24e322f.png

Story by Doug Samuels  • 1d

One of the things that makes college football great is heated in-state rivalries.  Sometimes coaches add fuel to the fire of those rivalries very intentionally, other times it just happens naturally.

After the Wolf Pack beat UNC in the final game of the regular season 39-20, Doeren made a rather unsavory comment to his guys in the locker room, surrounded by ACC Network cameras hanging on his every word.

For those that missed that comment from Doeren, here it is.

Today, Mack Brown called out his in-state colleague for the comment, calling it "classless."

"In our last ball game with a rival school after the game, the head coach of that school called our players a piece of shit," Brown shared. clearly disappointed.

"I apologize for that language, but I've never heard something like that before. I'm disappointed. I thought it was classless. It's not true."

"Number one, we didn't play well in the game. We didn't coach well in the game. It's been very well documented and I got that, but you don't call kids a piece of shit. I've addressed it with our team. I apologized to them."

"These kids are one of the top academic groups in America. They got an award for AFCA's top 13. They've won a Coastal Division. They've won a bunch of games. They've been to an Orange Bowl, been to five straight bowls. They represent us....and from me speaking for them and their parents, they really didn't appreciate being called a piece of shit."

"Never heard that before. Very, very disappointing, but, it is what it is."

ACC meetings, and future meetings between the two coaches will surely be worth monitoring even more now with Mack clearly upset with Doeren's choice of words.

The Tar Heels have lost three straight against their in-state rival, and Brown is 2-3 since his return to lead the Tar Heels over the past five meetings.

What outcome does Mack desire? An insincere apology? A formal (but meaningless) reprimand of the NCSU coach (I can’t remember his name and I just read the article; he’s just a pissant). 

It would have been better for Mack to have said nothing at all, like Texas after Yormark mouthed off, or after the call out from the ISU OL. 

• Haha 1

"Hey, it was just locker room talk.  Everybody knows that."

seriously Mack, I know we give you a hard time still.  And if that was a press conference or sideline interview, you'd be right to lay into the other coach.  But what a coach says to his team to keep 'em fired up in the locker room, short of ethnic slurs or calls for violent jihad against the opposing QB's family...let it stay there.  

The way he still says "kids" still bugs me after all these 25 years.  I remember one of those Longhorn Luncheons at the Erwin Center years ago.  This was when shit started going sideways for us in like 2010 or 2011.  And some 80 year old asked a question and they bring him the mic, "Don't you think since these players who can vote and serve in the military and be fathers and suffer serious injuries on the field for this program, it's about time we stopped calling them 'kids' and started calling them 'men' or at least 'young men.'?"  I forget what Mack said in response but it was usual thin-skinned bullshit.  He's a helluva nice guy and I miss that consistent level of success (maybe we're back on that track though, knock on wood)...but no matter when things were up or down...Mack could just not shut the fuck up about how unfair the media and fans and donors were to him.  That's what the fucking money is for.  You give away our money to players for scholarships, you draw shapes on a dry erase board, and then cash checks for millions and millions of dollars.  But he always has something to whine about.  

Ah well, I still wish him the best.  Good guy overall.  Although, some N.C. State fan would be wise to work up a meme/gif of the Letterkenny/NCST mashup in the spirit of McMurray, "McBrowny's a Piece of Shit"  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

really surprised both he and Pete Carroll are still coaching.  Won't be surprised to see them both retired in the next few months.

Pete’s still a competitive nice guy. Mack is still a thin-skinned piece of shit.

The loss to Stanford in his 2nd year maybe was the first of dozens of times that I wanted to smash that fucker in the face.

He could recruit pretty well for a while, but he sucked ass as a coach. We managed to win quite a few games despite his tendency to get tight and choke, because superior talent overcame inferior coaching. 

Fuck that butter toothed piece of shit.

GO STATE!

• Hook 'Em 3

RC Slocum from a different state but still country, with a better university with more resources, a once in a lifetime recruit and lucked into a life time horn 3 star that proved to be a true coach on the field at QB. Take Colt and VY away and his career here would have been no different that RC at Aggy.

prove me wrong gordon ramsay GIF by MasterChef Junior

* and I’m still grateful for all his what-have-yous because of those two rose bowls with VY.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, YGIFS said:

"Hey, it was just locker room talk.  Everybody knows that."

seriously Mack, I know we give you a hard time still.  And if that was a press conference or sideline interview, you'd be right to lay into the other coach.  But what a coach says to his team to keep 'em fired up in the locker room, short of ethnic slurs or calls for violent jihad against the opposing QB's family...let it stay there.  

The way he still says "kids" still bugs me after all these 25 years.  I remember one of those Longhorn Luncheons at the Erwin Center years ago.  This was when shit started going sideways for us in like 2010 or 2011.  And some 80 year old asked a question and they bring him the mic, "Don't you think since these players who can vote and serve in the military and be fathers and suffer serious injuries on the field for this program, it's about time we stopped calling them 'kids' and started calling them 'men' or at least 'young men.'?"  I forget what Mack said in response but it was usual thin-skinned bullshit.  He's a helluva nice guy and I miss that consistent level of success (maybe we're back on that track though, knock on wood)...but no matter when things were up or down...Mack could just not shut the fuck up about how unfair the media and fans and donors were to him.  That's what the fucking money is for.  You give away our money to players for scholarships, you draw shapes on a dry erase board, and then cash checks for millions and millions of dollars.  But he always has something to whine about.  

Ah well, I still wish him the best.  Good guy overall.  Although, some N.C. State fan would be wise to work up a meme/gif of the Letterkenny/NCST mashup in the spirit of McMurray, "McBrowny's a Piece of Shit"  

I was pretty much a supporter of Mack until he obviously started letting it slide after 2009. 
But what really soured me on him was after he was fired, if any Horns wanted to transfer elsewhere he said publicly he would help them leave. 
That’s the polar opposite of what he told his Tarheel players when he left for UT. He told those to stay at NC because they had committed to the school, not him. 
That, and earlier when he renamed the program “Mack Brown Texas Football” on the UT website.

Narcissist much?

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That, and earlier when he renamed the program “Mack Brown Texas Football” on the UT website.

Narcissist much?

Earlier, like by at least 1999 if not 1998 when he got here. He really thought he was bigger than the program and resented anyone who second guess him, his shitty assistants, or how tight he became in close games or against OU. I would’ve been fine with his firing at any point between 2002 and when he eventually left. It’s not like VY would’ve been mediocre with a different HC and OC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Pete’s still a competitive nice guy. Mack is still a thin-skinned piece of shit.

The loss to Stanford in his 2nd year maybe was the first of dozens of times that I wanted to smash that fucker in the face.

He could recruit pretty well for a while, but he sucked ass as a coach. We managed to win quite a few games despite his tendency to get tight and choke, because superior talent overcame inferior coaching. 

Fuck that butter toothed piece of shit.

GO STATE!

He and deloss also decided to take a much easier path in non conference games because he liked to talk about his consecutive 9 win seasons.  

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

RC Slocum from a different state but still country, with a better university with more resources, a once in a lifetime recruit and lucked into a life time horn 3 star that proved to be a true coach on the field at QB. Take Colt and VY away and his career here would have been no different that RC at Aggy.

prove me wrong gordon ramsay GIF by MasterChef Junior

* and I’m still grateful for all his what-have-yous because of those two rose bowls with VY.

Without Tim Brewster, Mack doesn’t even bother recruiting VY because it was too hard. So I attribute that title and era to him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Mack is the embodiment of his upbringing. Like some people you know, maybe even yourselves, he literally grew up as the less-favored brother - in his case, Watson. Mack was not the quarterback, his brother was - Mack was the fullback, who had to block for his brother, he didn't even get to carry the ball or catch a pass. He wasn't the shortstop and pitcher, his brother was - he was first base and right fielder. Dad was all about his brother, Mom was all about his brother.

Poor Mack. Dad loved his brother more than he loved Mack. Mom loved his brother more than she loved Mack. Nothing Mack could do was enough to win over Mom and Dad, not even nearly winning National Championships and actually winning one. 

You'd be thin-skinned, too, under the same circumstances. 

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Mack is the embodiment of his upbringing. Like some people you know, maybe even yourselves, he literally grew up as the less-favored brother - in his case, Watson. Mack was not the quarterback, his brother was - Mack was the fullback, who had to block for his brother, he didn't even get to carry the ball or catch a pass. He wasn't the shortstop and pitcher, his brother was - he was first base and right fielder. Dad was all about his brother, Mom was all about his brother.

Poor Mack. Dad loved his brother more than he loved Mack. Mom loved his brother more than she loved Mack. Nothing Mack could do was enough to win over Mom and Dad, not even nearly winning National Championships and actually winning one. 

You'd be thin-skinned, too, under the same circumstances. 

Fuck that. I had it worse than him - many here did - and I think gratitude, humility (I’m better IRL) and generosity always carry the day. 

• Hook 'Em 3