Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yes.  Let me be more clear.  Chomsky talks about how the right consolidated the constituencies of the guns rights, abortion, evangelicals, nationalist, which is true.  What he ignores is the Russians specifically targeted these groups while pushing them even harder to the right and consolidating them around Donald Trump.  This is pretty well documented now. Maria Butina, Manafort, IRA.NRA corruption scandal. 

Instead, Chomsky gives the Jared Kushner/Mark Zuckerberg explanation that Russia had no meaningful influence on the election.  

Perhaps Chomsky minimizes the Russian influence to focus more on the corporate power, which is actually a big part of the problem because they knowingly allowed the Russian attack to go on.  Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan out front. 

Once Trump got into power, he paid off the 0.01% with tax cuts and a $1.3 trillion spending bill.  Can’t imagine why he did that...

You're misunderstanding him. His point is that the Russia investigation after the fact did not move the needle politically. I agree with you that it was a big deal thats getting glossed over, lots of people went to jail, Russia's efforts might very well have turned the election for dt. But thats not what Chomsky is addressing. He's simply observing that the democrats have badly fumbled that issue and it really hasn't hurt dt politically.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, F250 said:

Have you ever read anything written by Chomsky?

Not enough.  I know he’s a liberal intellectual and I’ve heard speak many times.  Never got into his writing.  I’m willing to admit my speculation on his motivations could be wrong here.

15 minutes ago, texastough said:

You're misunderstanding him. His point is that the Russia investigation after the fact did not move the needle politically. I agree with you that it was a big deal thats getting glossed over, lots of people went to jail, Russia's efforts might very well have turned the election for dt. But thats not what Chomsky is addressing. He's simply observing that the democrats have badly fumbled that issue and it really hasn't hurt dt politically.

Agree somewhat but I don’t know why Chomsky is blaming the democrats for focusing on Russia when they had zero power until six months ago.

Seems like the Russia scandal played some role in the democrats winning the house even though it wasn’t a focus for their midterm campaigning.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Agree somewhat but I don’t know why Chomsky is blaming the democrats for focusing on Russia when they had zero power until six months ago.

Seems like the Russia scandal played some role in the democrats winning the house even though it wasn’t a focus for their midterm campaigning.

Because he does not think highly of Democrats at all.

Think Chris Hedges but older and smarter.

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Not enough.  I know he’s a liberal intellectual and I’ve heard speak many times.  Never got into his writing.  I’m willing to admit my speculation on his motivations could be wrong here.

Chomsky was pointing out the Trump base years before Trump and Russia showed up on the scene. Unlike the "concerned" Democratic liberal base he didn't see this as a gathering of racist bigots but instead saw it as a manipulation of the working class by the business class who will eventually lose control of the base the same way the German industrialists lost control of the early Nazi party. The Russians didn't create this political movement or empower it, the American Business class did. Keep in mind that Chomsky was saying this before Trump and the Russians became a thing. He doesn't see Russian interference as a serious problem because he was predicting this shit years before Trump showed up.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, woohorn said:

Haven't heard from Diamond and Silk in a while...

Diamond and Silk are the perfect token black Republicans for 2019.  They allow deplorables to remain in denial about their racism while simultaneously reinforcing their belief that the smartest African-American is intellectually inferior to the dumbest white person.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Yeah and that electoral math is being conveniently ignored in the echo chamber that the twitter Democrats love to occupy.  The "send her back" chants may horrify and disgust us, but does it actually hurt Trump in the tipping point states?

Yeah and that’s the thing you are ignoring. When taking into account a supreme shithead all bets are off. Push normal people far enough and they’ll burn the motherfucker down. He might shore up his base with racist chants but they’ll either be ostracized in the best case scenario to bullet ridden in the worst. Those are the options we face and god help us. 

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

Chomsky was pointing out the Trump base years before Trump and Russia showed up on the scene. Unlike the "concerned" Democratic liberal base he didn't see this as a gathering of racist bigots but instead saw it as a manipulation of the working class by the business class who will eventually lose control of the base the same way the German industrialists lost control of the early Nazi party. The Russians didn't create this political movement or empower it, the American Business class did. Keep in mind that Chomsky was saying this before Trump and the Russians became a thing. He doesn't see Russian interference as a serious problem because he was predicting this shit years before Trump showed up.

Thanks for explaining this.  It makes sense.  I’ve always seen the AstroTurfed Tea Party movement as a springboard for Trump, however I believe the Russian interference exacerbated the nihilism within the movement.  Trump was out there spewing Russia’s narratives on the campaign trail daily and his supporters ate it up.  Chomsky is probably right that Trump would have come along without the Russians but perhaps not this soon.  Moreover, I always saw the interference as just a flashpoint in a much larger war for the consolidation of wealth/power versus the democratization of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPM said:

We're going to have to break the party over country trend. It's not us vs them. It's US. Let's get our shit together and quit flinging shit across the aisles. Until we get dark money out of the equation, it's not going to happen. Corporations want one party in control so they only have to control one party.

That is effectively what we have now. 2 parties with each guaranteed 45% power at minimum = one power structure that is predictable and helpful to big money.

When I was younger I was wrong to say "the parties are the same" or the "parties act the same". The reality is they are very different in what they believe, however their construct together is indestructible, constant and dependably the same over and over. Its run its course obviously. Taking money away would certainly help, no doubt. Really anything that changes how decisions are made would be effective. The peons will never stop slinging shit my friend. But I am glad some of us can. Take her easy and be nukeless my friend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, F250 said:

he didn't see this as a gathering of racist bigots but instead saw it as a manipulation of the working class by the business class who will eventually lose control of the base the same way the German industrialists lost control of the early Nazi party.

I'm not the intellectual Chomsky is, but I've been watching the same thing.

The hate engine was created because they can't get elected on love (libs are Juden).

Leveraging abortion became an issue when that really wasn't a partisan issue.

Ministry of Truth tactics where the estate tax is called a death tax that punishes people for dying. It's ruining the farmers! It'll ruin you even though it doesn't affect you unless the estate isn't in the millions! The Clear Skies law makes the air dirtier. Same for whatever Bush called his policy to allow more water pollution. 

Chomsky makes a better intellectual case than I do, but I concluded a few years ago that the GOPs are wicked and the Dems are weak. The Dems worst moment for me was their absurd and arcane reasoning for essentially voting to let W go to war in Iraq if he wanted to. Dennis Kucinich can sleep at night; the rest can go fuck themselves.

I hold my nose to vote Dem. I don't expect traditional GOP refugees to vote Dem over the long term although Chomsky's point about the Dems actually being moderately right wing raises interesting questions.

Chomsky was the intellectual the hate engine was aimed at for decades. I only know him through TV appearances. Smart guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm not the intellectual Chomsky is, but I've been watching the same thing.

The hate engine was created because they can't get elected on love (libs are Juden).

Leveraging abortion became an issue when that really wasn't a partisan issue.

Ministry of Truth tactics where the estate tax is called a death tax that punishes people for dying. It's ruining the farmers! It'll ruin you even though it doesn't affect you unless the estate isn't in the millions! The Clear Skies law makes the air dirtier. Same for whatever Bush called his policy to allow more water pollution. 

Chomsky makes a better intellectual case than I do, but I concluded a few years ago that the GOPs are wicked and the Dems are weak. The Dems worst moment for me was their absurd and arcane reasoning for essentially voting to let W go to war in Iraq if he wanted to. Dennis Kucinich can sleep at night; the rest can go fuck themselves.

I hold my nose to vote Dem. I don't expect traditional GOP refugees to vote Dem over the long term although Chomsky's point about the Dems actually being moderately right wing raises interesting questions.

Chomsky was the intellectual the hate engine was aimed at for decades. I only know him through TV appearances. Smart guy.

Growing up guys like Chomsky and Ralph Nader were constantly demonized to the point where I basically thought they were radical anarchists. And this was even before Fox News and rush even existed. 

Then I grew up, got a lot wiser, and figured out those guys actually knew what they were talking about. Trumpkins never made that leap. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Yep, and your voter registration card is your star.

If I were a registered dem, I'd think about changing my official registration to the Pubs before the purge starts.

• Like 1

Stone cold fact. Citizen United was the worst thing to happen to America in it's political history. Dark money serves no good to the people.

Ahem, Dred Scott anyone?

Certainly it’s one of, if not the, worst in the post war era. But that’s for another thread.
  • Like 1

Diamond and Silk are the perfect token black Republicans for 2019.  They allow deplorables to remain in denial about their racism while simultaneously reinforcing their belief that the smartest African-American is intellectually inferior to the dumbest white person.

Call it the, “I can’t be racist, I adore Diamond and Silk!” phenomenon.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, staboner said:

That is effectively what we have now. 2 parties with each guaranteed 45% power at minimum = one power structure that is predictable and helpful to big money.

When I was younger I was wrong to say "the parties are the same" or the "parties act the same". The reality is they are very different in what they believe, however their construct together is indestructible, constant and dependably the same over and over. Its run its course obviously. Taking money away would certainly help, no doubt. Really anything that changes how decisions are made would be effective. The peons will never stop slinging shit my friend. But I am glad some of us can. Take her easy and be nukeless my friend.

Yeah.  This is where I am.  Anastasis wishes he could Both Sides as hard as I used to but it's pretty clear that outside of "moneyed interests will be served" the parties are very different and one of them is clearly more dangerous to the nation right now.  

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

You say 2019.  I say 1959.   Same thing.

16 hours ago, yoladu said:

What the actual fuck?

After that tweet, I immediately wondered ‘ok, if I sauntered up to them like Gene Wilder in blackface shoe polish from Silver Streak, and said Whattup My N*******’....how would they respond to that?  Oh I’m just using words from the dictionary, I’m sure you understand.  

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mapache said:

Was this the "riders of electric scooters" poll ?

When looking at polls, I do tend to add five percent to judge his support in 2020 because 1) Bradley effect, 2) higher turnout, and 3) cheating.

• Like 1

I saw a Trump supporter on tv last night saying "if you don't like Trump then you should leave!". He has convinced his sub-90 IQ supporters that not supporting him = hating America. 

It's just all so amazing. Trump tells Congresswoman to go back where they came from. Reasonable people object to that. "Oh yeah well then you should leave too!!". 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can someone give a summary of the 11 minute les miles press conference, or is the highlight in the first 10 seconds?  

Basically Les comes out excited AF to be the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, then after about 1 minute he slowly realizes that he is actually the head coach of Kansas and tries to  improvise his way through that incredible horror and disappointment.

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I saw a Trump supporter on tv last night saying "if you don't like Trump then you should leave!". He has convinced his sub-90 IQ supporters that not supporting him = hating America. 

It's just all so amazing. Trump tells Congresswoman to go back where they came from. Reasonable people object to that. "Oh yeah well then you should leave too!!". 

Too bad they didn’t all take their own advice and leave during the tenure of the ‘most divisive president in history’... 

I get a kick out of the people who think that this (racist attacks on Congresswomen) is some grand strategy by Trump, and that Democrats are playing right into his trap. 

First of all, Trump is an idiot.  His brand of idiocy may be marketable, but that doesn't change its nature.  

Secondly, and more importantly, if this isn't a battle for the hearts and minds of the country that we can win, what's the fucking point.  It's not ground that can be abandoned and still expect to maintain any defense.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can someone give a summary of the 11 minute les miles press conference, or is the highlight in the first 10 seconds?  

It's a rambling mess, so you get the gist in those opening moments. On The Horn radio, Bucky and Erin were saying something about Les having taken a pill or two before going on stage, but I didn't hear if they were speculating or if there was something to it. Les was scattered.

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I get a kick out of the people who think that this (racist attacks on Congresswomen) is some grand strategy by Trump, and that Democrats are playing right into his trap. 

First of all, Trump is an idiot.  His brand of idiocy may be marketable, but that doesn't change its nature.  

Secondly, and more importantly, if this isn't a battle for the hearts and minds of the country that we can win, what's the fucking point.  It's not ground that can be abandoned and still expect to maintain any defense.  

He is sort of a malevolent Chauncey Gardiner. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

This is how I imagine things go in DOTUS' bedroom every night.

ezgif-4-f6b2c11a599f.gif

19 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I get a kick out of the people who think that this (racist attacks on Congresswomen) is some grand strategy by Trump, and that Democrats are playing right into his trap.   First of all, Trump is an idiot.  His brand of idiocy may be marketable, but that doesn't change its nature.  

Trump is often the puppet to advance the agendas of others. Putin has some level of control over him. Manafort's criminal proclivities got to spread their wings during the campaign. Bannon armed him with a few buzzwords like Build the Wall, and he got elected.

Stephen Miller has disturbing ideas about immigration, and Trump puts those into action, with the side benefit that it's red meat for the 40%.

Talk show hosts with political aspirations become confidants of Cheeto, and he implements their opinions on foreign policy. 

Edited by retread