Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

HEB is pretty damn responsive to customer input.  Every time I've submitted an inquiry online, I've received a response from a manager.  If the carts bother you that much, write in and let the manager know that they are taking up the middle of the aisle, not paying attention to the paying customer, etc.  

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

My parents have been using HEB curbside at Burleson, from its fledgling start to now, since the COVID shitshow started. They’ll probably never go inside again. They love it. 

I suggested this to my Uncle.  He lives there and constantly bitches about how crowded it is with a *ahem* certain segment of the population.  He's racist.  I suggested curbside knowing that he's too cheap to use it.  I was correct.  The dude just wants to be miserable.

I've been in there.  It's crowded for sure, but it's the only HEB for miles.  Not a big deal.  Curbside is a game changer.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, tigol said:

I suggested this to my Uncle.  He lives there and constantly bitches about how crowded it is with a *ahem* certain segment of the population.  He's racist.  I suggested curbside knowing that he's too cheap to use it.  I was correct.  The dude just wants to be miserable.

I've been in there.  It's crowded for sure, but it's the only HEB for miles.  Not a big deal.  Curbside is a game changer.

That’s the one I go to, though I go during the day when it’s less crowded. I just leave my cart against an end cap and walk up and back the aisle getting what I need. Much faster than wheeling around the gawkers and label readers  

I guess the closest one now is probably the one over by Aledo. Hudson Oaks? Could be wrong  

Way — and I mean way — back in elementary school when I went deer hunting with my granddad and dad, tradition was to stop at the HEB in Stephenville to buy groceries for the week. That was the only HEB I knew about at the time, but I’ve been kind of partial to them since I was in Austin and they expanded up here  

56 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Well, this is what happens when you let someone else choose the produce for you. If you want good produce, you have to go into the store and choose it yourself.

Produce and meat as well. I'm a picky shopper and occasionally skip items on the list altogether for lack of acceptable product on hand.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

What fucking HEB are you going to?

The better question is what Kroger? Because I go to Kroger still while they finally build HEBs in DFW and I can tell you they are not the same. Kroger is a lot closer to Walmart grocery than it is to HEB. We don't even get store made fresh tortillas anymore, they got rid of that before Covid.

Produce being trash at any of them is more a symptom of how we handle our produce nationwide for grocery stores not just HEB or Kroger or Whole Foods or whoever, it's all mainly trash these days in season or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The produce at our neighborhood HEB is vastly superior to any other nearby grocery stores, all of which are farther away, and include a couple of Randalls, a WalMart, and a Fresh Plus.

Hope they're open tonight.

Yeah their produce is better and they carry a better variety than Randalls. I popped into our local Randalls last year because it's so close for some ginger root and a mango. I felt like an idiot while walking out of there empty-handed for even thinking that they might have had that on hand. 

I suspected there would be some brand loyalty in this thread, but come on guys. HEB’s produce is trash. Their curbside is so busy it’s damn near impossible to get same day pick up. And they constantly screw up my delivery orders. 

Again they’re too big for their own good. 

You’ve probably already posted in the whataburger thread about their downfall after you got a cold soggy burger that Uber eats delivered.

One chain not mentioned for north Texas is Winco. The one in Arlington has the best selection and quality of produce as the Whole Foods is small. They have a solid bulk section for spices. Prices on staples are very competitive. Their meat though is shit.

Tom Thumb is my closest store so I use it for convenience. Really good meat section with butchers that know me, and they have killer specials each week. I got a couple of nice chuck roasts tonight for $2.97 a pound which I grind for hamburger. The issue with them is they are expensive as shit if it’s not on sale. And they are having real supply chain issues.

omg i miss HEB SOOOO MUCH!!!
Was there earlier today, its big and nice
Whoever did that video sounds super annoying

I suspected there would be some brand loyalty in this thread, but come on guys. HEB’s produce is trash. Their curbside is so busy it’s damn near impossible to get same day pick up. And they constantly screw up my delivery orders. 

Again they’re too big for their own good. 

From someone who grow up in Texas, moved away but has been back for the past month, Houston and Austin.

You're high, the produce is top-notch, better than what I see in California. And who uses curbside? The eye candy is inside

HEB and Texmex are the only things I miss not living in Texas

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think HEB is missing out on some market segment. I think they’d well with more marinated chicken and beef options. 

It also wouldn’t kill them to throw some lamb cuts out there too. Probably need to be halal most places.  Not sure if that’s a big obstacle. 

What is your local H‑E‑B ?

It's a question of demographics, I'm sure.  Fiesta is (obviously) heavily tilted toward products from Mexico and other international cuisine.  My HEB has a bigger focus on kosher foods, given the large Jewish population in NW Austin.  Between varying demos and sheer store size, I see a lot of variations.

Did my first big shop at HEB in a long long time. Obviously through Covid we did curbside and kept doing that for a good while. 

now granted we needed a lot of groceries (kids are going to eat me out of house/home/clothes), but the total was fucking $475. Now I’ve done that at Costco before but never at a HEB. 

whatever, got my fizzy water and I’m making tomatillo sauce tonight. 

• Haha 1

I didn't realize the Lake Austin HEB had opened. Holy shit that place is insane. I saw a video on instagram of it - may have to drive down there just to check it out. 

It's like the Whole Foods flagship. 1/1 as far as HEBs are concerned. 

Salmon vs Steelhead Trout - I think they both have their place.  Not sure steelhead is "way better" by any stretch, but it's less expensive for sure. It's also considerably leaner, less juicy(?) and thinner so you need to be careful how you cook it.  Has a bit more of a meaty(?) taste to me. I like salmon for entrees and grill one up once a week.  I like the steelhead for salad protein, and when I was working in an office would cook a couple on Sunday and use them in my lunch salads all week as they hold up great in the fridge for several days.  

Went by the new HEB the other day and it didn't do anything for me.  Parking is annoying, and trekking your cart from the parking lot, up and down the escalator and back to the corral seems like a beating.  I'm not going to go there for BBQ specifically, but I did check that out - I can see stopping in to grab a loaded baked potato when I'm not trying to cook dinner.  It's definitely got huge aisles and plenty of elbow room, but don't see any reason to shop there specifically.

I didn't realize the Lake Austin HEB had opened. Holy shit that place is insane. I saw a video on instagram of it - may have to drive down there just to check it out. 
It's like the Whole Foods flagship. 1/1 as far as HEBs are concerned. 

It’s nice, but it’s not groundbreaking. Pizza and bbq are solid dinner options in our food desert. Overall, I’d rather have AppleTree back.

3 hours ago, Mittens said:

Salmon vs Steelhead Trout - I think they both have their place.  Not sure steelhead is "way better" by any stretch, but it's less expensive for sure. It's also considerably leaner, less juicy(?) and thinner so you need to be careful how you cook it.  Has a bit more of a meaty(?) taste to me. I like salmon for entrees and grill one up once a week.  I like the steelhead for salad protein, and when I was working in an office would cook a couple on Sunday and use them in my lunch salads all week as they hold up great in the fridge for several days.  

Went by the new HEB the other day and it didn't do anything for me.  Parking is annoying, and trekking your cart from the parking lot, up and down the escalator and back to the corral seems like a beating.  I'm not going to go there for BBQ specifically, but I did check that out - I can see stopping in to grab a loaded baked potato when I'm not trying to cook dinner.  It's definitely got huge aisles and plenty of elbow room, but don't see any reason to shop there specifically.

Here in the KC area, salmon and steelhead are the same price, and sometimes the salmon is on sale. Don't think I've ever seen the steelhead on sale. 

I haven’t priced it lately because H‑E‑B has started putting ~1lb pre-cut salmon out in the coffins so no need to go to the counter, but salmon is usually around $16/lb and steelhead is like $10/lb. I’ll have to take a look next time through to verify.

• Hook 'Em 1