Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

On 3/7/2024 at 4:28 PM, threesheets said:

Gotta have some bite to them. I want to slap myself for not pickling my own before last holiday season. Easiest shit ever.

7799002001493587159 (1).jpg

On 3/7/2024 at 5:54 PM, threesheets said:

No sealing. Just fill the jar and add the brine. I start eating them the next day. 

I don't boil the brine either. I heat it to barely lukewarm and dissolve the sea salt.

Giving this a shot this afternoon, pretty excited. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/17/2024 at 1:56 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Haha, no man doing the japs. Seems like it would be the biggest step up in quality from the jarred japs. 

It's honestly so much better and so damn easy to do.  I do slightly boil my brine strictly because I have minced garlic in there as well.  Other than that, it's the same process @threesheets said.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It's honestly so much better and so damn easy to do.  I do slightly boil my brine strictly because I have minced garlic in there as well.  Other than that, it's the same process @threesheets said.  

Yeah, 24 hours later and it's awesome. Theyre crisp, fresh, and honestly I don't think they'll last long enough to get browner and mushy, not considering I'm having 1-2 every time I open up the fridge. The next batch will be substantially larger. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, 24 hours later and it's awesome. Theyre crisp, fresh, and honestly I don't think they'll last long enough to get browner and mushy, not considering I'm having 1-2 every time I open up the fridge. The next batch will be substantially larger. 

Even the ones I did last fall are still delicious.  On my last jar right now and about halfway through.  Won't get new peppers for about 2 months.  Gonna have to turbocharge that shit this year.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/17/2024 at 7:24 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I tried all their MI Tienda brands. This was the worst of the 3 for me

Weird. It's always sold out at the Rundberg HEB. Plenty of the other ones, but the space is usually empty where the verde sits. 

On 3/17/2024 at 7:27 AM, SydneyCarton said:
We should consider a pickling and fermented salsa/sauces thread. I know [mention=1418]irishtexan[/mention] had a fermented table sauce somewhere I meant to try, but lost track of. Fermented salsas are on my list to try this year. 

I’ve got a yellow sauce fermenting right now. This is 13 habaneros, a large orange sweet Mediterranean pepper I got at central market, a very large mango, one large carrot, and a 2 inch piece of ginger. Will add confit garlic cloves when blending, along with some of the oil, some brine, and some plain vinegar.

IMG_5461.jpg

You basically just dissolve three tablespoons of pickling/sea salt into a quart of water. Submerge veggies in salt water in bell jar. Weigh the veggies down so they’re fully submerged, cover with a fermentation lid and let it sit out of direct sunlight for a week or two.

Just put a bunch of peppers in the garden. Have japs, Serranos, Fresno, cayenne, and habaneros. Hope to be making a lot of hot sauce this summer.

Also, I've tried fermenting dill pickles and I did not care for them at all. I prefer a vinegar pickle or even a quick-salted pickle on cukes instead of a half-sour or full-sour pickle that's been fermented. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Drool 4

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The fully cooked burnt ends are better than 95% of BBQ restaurants in Houston. They’re going to put people out of business if they catch on. 

I cooked in the oven with a little bit of HEB bbq sauce applied for taste. 

you talking about these?

010937542-1?jpegSize=150&hei=1400&fit=co

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, Houston BBQ must suck.

It doesn't (anymore). It really did for decades up until about 2015. But there's still a mother fuck ton of places like Demeris, or Pappas BBQ. But plenty of high end, quality places now. The real question is why anyone eats at any of the fucking other ones. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

18 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

It doesn't (anymore). It really did for decades up until about 2015. But there's still a mother fuck ton of places like Demeris, or Pappas BBQ. But plenty of high end, quality places now. The real question is why anyone eats at any of the fucking other ones. 

pappas bbq is my new middle of the road bbq place. Used to be rudy’s but damn that place was horrible a couple of months back at lunch time

RiP thelma’s 

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure. If the only thing you get there is just the fucking steak. 

Yeah, I seriously doubt a high end steakhouse is selling steak for less than ~ $75/lb and that's PRE-cooked.  I haven't seen BBQ price out much beyond half that amount POST-cook, save maybe good beef ribs.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I seriously doubt a high end steakhouse is selling steak for less than ~ $75/lb and that's PRE-cooked.  I haven't seen BBQ price out much beyond half that amount POST-cook, save maybe good beef ribs.

I mean, yes. But I was coming from the angle of "I'm also going have a couple martinis, maybe some wine, and some sides with that steak."

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/31/2024 at 9:56 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The fully cooked burnt ends are better than 95% of BBQ restaurants in Houston. They’re going to put people out of business if they catch on. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
Nevemind already asked and answered.

Tried em the other day - picked up a pack, just nuked em to put in a tortilla as a brisket taco.
They were good. But not great. Taste was fine, but they were a bit tough. Maybe better if heated in the oven? I just drizzled a little sauce and put a few pickle slices on, and wrapped em in a good flour tortilla. Not a bad little dinner. Not A+, but good enough.

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Kelsey Grammer Problem GIF by Paramount+

Maybe.  But I've nuked a slice of good brisket before just to heat it up for a quick tortilla wrap snack, and it was fine.  I'll try warming the next round in the oven, see if there's a difference.

Is HEB even open (minded) anymore?  

Attacking/boycotting HEB.  If any of you had that on your 2024 Bingo Card of Texas bullshit, I got some buddy bucks I'd like to give you.  

The creamy creation ice cream….i think it’s astros themed. Peanut butter with peanut brittle? Anyone tried it? My store only has the half gallons (no pints) and I’m tryna get this trainwreck ready for two piece season.

Edit: this 325d920bf3f96b7b91a1c7832af6b68a.jpg
Moose out front says it’s Houston release only but it’s in my SA store

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, deft said:

The creamy creation ice cream….i think it’s astros themed. Peanut butter with peanut brittle? Anyone tried it? My store only has the half gallons (no pints) and I’m tryna get this trainwreck ready for two piece season.

give it like 2 weeks. seems like they only have them in half gallons then roll out pints on the new flavors at my HEB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Tried em the other day - picked up a pack, just nuked em to put in a tortilla as a brisket taco.
They were good. But not great. Taste was fine, but they were a bit tough. Maybe better if heated in the oven? I just drizzled a little sauce and put a few pickle slices on, and wrapped em in a good flour tortilla. Not a bad little dinner. Not A+, but good enough.

After the posts in this thread, I was going to try them. Then I saw it was like $15 bucks for a pound and did a hard no. 

Edit: this 325d920bf3f96b7b91a1c7832af6b68a.jpg
Moose out front says it’s Houston release only but it’s in my SA store

Don’t eat that shit at home, you’ll choke.

Went and Took It!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4