Things not going well for Oprah Winfrey

Parliament

7 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Weight Watchers has not connected with today's sub 40 year old crowd. Instead of buying WW meal kits, they're going vegan or keyo paleo or whatever.

This. And also going the intense exercise route a la Crossfit, Roll, Orangetheory, etc. Weight Watchers will never grab that younger crowd if they continue down the Oprah frozen pizza path.

52 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yeah - I always feel bad for billionaires when they have an investment that loses millions

It also annoys me to no end when people write stories about really rich people "losing money" because the stock they own went down. It's such a lazy story and a lot of people don't understand that she didn't lose shit as she didn't sell anything.

"on paper" fucking morons. 95% of the people that read the USA today Money section have no clue what the fuck that means.

• Like 2

In this and age of having delicious, healthy, varied foods made with much better ingredients delivered right to your door for about the same amount as it costs to become a WW member, drive to their annoyingly placed stores, and buy their shitty overly processed food.

yeah, I can’t believe that business model isn’t blowing up.   Pun intended.  The one in my neighborhood closed down and took a travel agency and Kinkos down with it. 

Having said that, my sister lost about 100 pounds using WW and walking more, so I am thankful to them.   But then again she has Downs Syndrome, as i suspect most of Oprah’s followers do as well.  

11 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Oprah probably wraps her bacon in $58 million worth of bills.  Or wipes her ass with them.
She probably fucking loses $20 million in her couch about once a month.

Somehow, she'll get over this I believe and rise like a Phoenix.

Eh, probably more like a monster truck getting out of a mud bog but your point stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

It also annoys me to no end when people write stories about really rich people "losing money" because the stock they own went down. It's such a lazy story and a lot of people don't understand that she didn't lose shit as she didn't sell anything.

"on paper" fucking morons. 95% of the people that read the USA today Money section have no clue what the fuck that means.

That's a 36% drop in one day.  That's pretty epic.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Weight Watchers has not connected with today's sub 40 year old crowd. Instead of buying WW meal kits, they're going vegan or keyo paleo or whatever.

2 hours ago, smuggs said:

This. And also going the intense exercise route a la Crossfit, Roll, Orangetheory, etc. Weight Watchers will never grab that younger crowd if they continue down the Oprah frozen pizza path.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

In this and age of having delicious, healthy, varied foods made with much better ingredients delivered right to your door for about the same amount as it costs to become a WW member, drive to their annoyingly placed stores, and buy their shitty overly processed food.

yeah, I can’t believe that business model isn’t blowing up.   Pun intended.  The one in my neighborhood closed down and took a travel agency and Kinkos down with it. 

Having said that, my sister lost about 100 pounds using WW and walking more, so I am thankful to them.   But then again she has Downs Syndrome, as i suspect most of Oprah’s followers do as well.  

yeah, all of this. i would say that grocers (heb mostly, in my experience) have done a great job of packaging up relatively fresh, low calorie options as well.

this isn't the 80s, where everyone ate disgusting tv dinners. we know so much more about nutrition now.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

I feel terrible for Oprah's stock decrease. It must be very hard for her to make ends meet at this point.

Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family in this difficult time of need. 

I like the go fund me idea above, but perhaps Surly could start a Wreath/Food drive instead. If wreaths are good for fake cancer surely they are good for fake money losses and fake hunger.

From the size of her fat ass, she could stand some REAL huger.

4 hours ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Consider who started this thread.

• Like 1

For a savvy business woman who has literally made billions with her uncanny gift for reading the pulse of what chubby women want to see and hear, she really swung and missed with her doubling down on WW stock.  It’s an antequated model that relies too much on real estate and middle-man distributors.  How did she not leave 5-10 years ago with everything she sees about the future of people who cannot take responsibility for their own lives?  

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

We're talking about marriage, I didn't say I'd fuck her you sick bastard. Though I can't imagine what sort of depravity a woman with her money and power might be into. Nope, not going there.

Chicky with billions marrying random internet dude gonna have some strings attached Friendo.

Hope you like jelly.

7 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I feel terrible for Oprah's stock decrease. It must be very hard for her to make ends meet at this point.

Thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family in this difficult time of need. 

I like the go fund me idea above, but perhaps Surly could start a Wreath/Food drive instead. If wreaths are good for fake cancer surely they are good for fake money losses and fake hunger.

Kind of like her belt...

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

For a savvy business woman who has literally made billions with her uncanny gift for reading the pulse of what chubby women want to see and hear, she really swung and missed with her doubling down on WW stock.  It’s an antequated model that relies too much on real estate and middle-man distributors.  How did she not leave 5-10 years ago with everything she sees about the future of people who cannot take responsibility for their own lives?  

I didn't realize she was a big share holder of the company.  Makes sense.  I couldn't figure out why a woman as wealthy as she is would do their commercials where she looks silly trying to ride a bike with the agility and skill of a 5 year old.  

With regards to Weight Watchers being out of touch with millennials, I can see that too.  Maybe it's my perception, but it seems like a disproportionate amount of young women are going into two camps in numbers not seen in previous generations:

1. "I'm 250# and I look GOOD."  Maybe even actively trying to get their asses bigger.

2. Gluten free when they don't have celiac disease, raw food, anti "big sugar" etc types that don't consider weight loss a primary goal of a diet.  They're trying to be the "healthiest" eater (and tell you about it every chance they get).

T&P to OW.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 8:20 PM, Macanudo said:

If she's worth 3.1 billion, that 58 million is worth $935 to someone making $50,000.   Yeah, not worried about her.

I remember when I was poor and only making $50K.  Losing $935 wouldn’t have wiped me out, but I would have been pissed about it.