The AAF may fold in a couple days

F250

On 3/28/2019 at 12:06 PM, Hozz said:

The NFL has been the most popular sports league in the US going on almost 6 decades now

I mean shit, in Texas high school football is in the running in terms of popularity with non-football pro leagues like MLB, NBA, NHL, etc. 

lolwat

4 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

You think fucking hockey, golf or any women’s sports are more popular than HS football in Texas?

On 3/28/2019 at 12:06 PM, Hozz said:

I mean shit, in Texas high school football is in the running in terms of popularity with non-football pro leagues like MLB, NBA, NHL, etc. 

• Like 1

I think outside of the cities that host the two MLB teams and three NBA teams, yeah HS football is more popular in Texas than the MLB and NBA.  I mean obviously in terms of TV ratings there is no comparison, but just in terms of what the average household cares about more or would watch given a choice between all three.  Not really a hill I am willing to die on though, I said 'in the running' in my first post.

My point was just that football is so clearly the most popular US sport that it was/is surprising to me there has not been a successful Spring league.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Just have texags posters pool their life savings to buy the league so their hero can have a place to play. Since they pump out 50,000 dipolomas a year now even small amounts add up.

Yeah, but they print 'em only on the highest quality toilet paper.

Alienating your media partners and what little fanbase you've cultivated for the sake of leverage against an organization that's OK with the status quo is a very interesting strategy.  This reminds me of when all of the MLB umpires threatened to resign. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

make it a true summer league.  i need the spring for March Madness and NHL and NBA and golf.

start the league June 21.  when there's only baseball, i'd consider watching football.

After all, what could be a better gameday environment than outdoor stadiums in Memphis and Birmingham in July?

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

make it a true summer league.  i need the spring for March Madness and NHL and NBA and golf.

start the league June 21.  when there's only baseball, i'd consider watching football.

Exactly. Who gives a shit about some shitty ass league right after the Super Bowl ends. It's overkill. Let people take a break from football for some months. As you mentioned, there is plenty going on when football ends. But in the dead of summer, especially after the NBA and NHL finish their playoffs, that is a perfect time if people want a football fix. Training camp is nearing and football will become relevant soon after.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:53 AM, RPM said:

I've been following San Antonio and they aren't a bad team. They have the best fans in the alliance. Orlando is the team to beat. 

I thought there was an out clause in the AAF contracts that released a player if they were called up to the NFL. Not sure why an NFL player under contract would want or be eligible to play AAF.

If you're a practice-squad guy, you get more exposure playing in the AAF, and potentially get a deal to play on a team that way. You know Squints is probably going to get picked up after his performance in Orlando.

36 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Because the NFLPA won't play ball? I dont understand if it isn't financial why not finish the year and keep trying to negotiate?

Note that only Tom Dundon is the one who insists on tying in the NFLPA. Everyone else is all, "Cool yer jets, Tom." But he's the guy with the money, so...

• Like 1

Also:

The move comes in the aftermath of ominous comments from Tom Dundon, who became majority owner of the AAF several weeks ago. Dundon committed $250 million in funding to the league, but he had the ability to pull funding, and he obviously has.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/02/the-aaf-will-suspend-all-football-operations/

Basically, the guy funded the league just for its gambling app. Once he got what he wanted, he yanked it. The stuff about the NFLPA is all a smokescreen.

57 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Who gives a shit about some shitty ass league right after the Super Bowl ends. It's overkill. Let people take a break from football for some months. As you mentioned, there is plenty going on when football ends. But in the dead of summer, especially after the NBA and NHL finish their playoffs, that is a perfect time if people want a football fix. Training camp is nearing and football will become relevant soon after.

Yup, and if you have it after the draft, all of those un-drafted free agents will have a choice of non-guaranteed training camp as an UFA or get paid to play

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

What a fucking dickhead move. I can see folding if they couldn’t make payroll but to do this because they don’t have a deal with the NFLPA or worse to steal the gambling app is a fucking joke. I am a fan of the SA Commanders and enjoyed having the games on in the background. Lots of players and coaches are jobless after committing to what they thought was a legit minor league with guys like Bill Polian and Ebersol running things.

What is so special about the gambling app they developed? Was it already operational?

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What a fucking dickhead move. I can see folding if they couldn’t make payroll but to do this because they don’t have a deal with the NFLPA is a fucking joke. I am a fan of the SA Commanders and enjoyed having the games on in the background. Lots of players and coaches are jobless after committing to what they thought was a legit minor league with guys like Bill Polian and Ebersol running things.

This isn't a national tragedy or anything, but to not see it for what it is baffles me. This is a good product for being just a developmental league. I mean, it is way more watchable than the semi-pro basketball leagues. I've had it on in the background for a month now while I do my deskwork on the weekend, and it's been fun. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If he bought it can’t he do what he wants with it?

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

He wasn't the only owner. So if he fucks everyone else over, there's absolutely a lawsuit possible. But that doesn't keep the AAF alive if so. This is just like howTrump fucked over the USFL right now.

Edited by Rimbo

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

After all, what could be a better gameday environment than outdoor stadiums in Memphis and Birmingham in July?

Playing later in the year would open up the possibility of markets like Omaha, Des Moines, etc that are too damn cold in February, don't have NFL, but love football enough to get some people in seats for a game.

On 4/1/2019 at 12:27 PM, Hozz said:

I think outside of the cities that host the two MLB teams and three NBA teams, yeah HS football is more popular in Texas than the MLB and NBA. 

Those 3 metro areas make up half the population of Texas.