Popeye's chicken sandwich

Mojo Hand

18 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Wut?  The existing mcdonalds one has mayo.  The chick-fil-a one and the new one that mcdonalds is testing does not.

So, pretty much...

giphy.gif

Noooo, the old Southern Style Chicken Sandwich he referenced didn’t have mayo. It was a direct competitor to Chick-fil-a. Just pickles. And the mayo reference is to Popeye’s-that’s what people are waiting in line for.

Insert your gif here.

Edited by formermav43

10 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

First one today. Better than the other place. Waited in the drive thru, ten cars, probably 30 minutes. My bad on the timing.

Sandwich was damn good. The difference is that they have a Long John Silvers batter thing going on. ChkiFilA is mushy by comparison, but its flavors are pretty good. But Popeyes' chicken is fucking crunchy. Even the pickles are crunchy, that's an obvious improvement. And it's spicy as fuck, which is totally my fetish. Match it up with a good beer or wine and that's a damn good time.

What kind of wine did the Popeye's sommelier suggest pairing with your chicken sandwich

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Boones Farm maybe Bartles & James work well with a popeye's spicy sandwich. 

I don't know about with the sandwich, but when I have a bidness trip to the right kinda place, picking up a 4-piece spicy, then grabbing a bud light tall boy from the finest local convenience store, and enjoying it all at the little table in my cheap hotel room....well, that's L-I-V-I-N.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't know about with the sandwich, but when I have a bidness trip to the right kinda place, picking up a 4-piece spicy, then grabbing a bud light tall boy from the finest local convenience store, and enjoying it all at the little table in my cheap hotel room....well, that's L-I-V-I-N.

Humblebrag?

source.gif

14 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

The difference is that they have a Long John Silvers batter thing going on. 

Nailed it. I thought it had a vague LJS flavor going on, but hadn't had LJS in some time, so thought I might have been imagining it.

Finally had a spicy sandwich and a regular sandwich tonight. The spicy sandwich was ok and the regular was meh. Enjoyed the bun and sauce but thought the chicken was pretty bland. I do live about a mile from Hattie B’s and a billion Popeye’s and Chick-Fil-As so I have spicy sandwiches and dumps a few times a week. My current spicy sandwich ranking is: Hattie B’s Damn Hot with the house made comeback sauce > Chick-Fil-A > Popeyes > Derka Dogs

5 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Finally had a spicy sandwich and a regular sandwich tonight. The spicy sandwich was ok and the regular was meh. Enjoyed the bun and sauce but thought the chicken was pretty bland. I do live about a mile from Hattie B’s and a billion Popeye’s and Chick-Fil-As so I have spicy sandwiches and dumps a few times a week. My current spicy sandwich ranking is: Hattie B’s Damn Hot with the house made comeback sauce > Chick-Fil-A > Popeyes > Derka Dogs

Does your Hattie B's come with an hour wait most days?

Popped my cherry yesterday for lunch.  I missed out on the rage when they were first released.

I'm a fan of Chik-Fil-A, but their sandwiches can be too salty for me.  However, the Popeye's sandwich is miles better.  Had the spicy variant, the crust was on point.  Not as crunchy as their chicken, but crunchier than Chik-Fil-A.  The crust was "lighter" than I thought it would be, and the filet was larger by a third than what I normally get at Chik-Fil-A.

I had it again yesterday, for the first time since all the hype, and was similarly disappointed. 

Flavor on Chick fil A is just light years ahead of Popeyes.  Without sauces, the Popeyes chicken is super-bland.  I also like that really fine crust on the Chick fil A better.  Not that I dislike the large, flaky breading on Popeyes, it's just nothing unusual, pretty much every other chicken sandwich on the planet tastes the same.  The bun on the Popeyes was really chewy and disappointing as well, but it was better the first time I had one so maybe this was just an off day for them.  But the biggest problem, is that in order to get the "spicy" they rely on the heat in the creamy mayo or whatever, which is a major problem.  If they just used the same chicken fry batter as their normal spicy bone-in chicken, it would be about 100x better.

Anyway, no need for me to try it again, I'll stick with Popeyes normal spicy fried chicken and leave the sammiches for the dirty unwashed huddled masses.

Edited by utee94

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

I had it again yesterday, for the first time since all the hype, and was similarly disappointed. 

Flavor on Chick fil A is just light years ahead of Popeyes.  Without sauces, the Popeyes chicken is super-bland.  I also like that really fine crust on the Chick fil A better.  Not that I dislike the large, flaky breading on Popeyes, it's just nothing unusual, pretty much every other chicken sandwich on the planet tastes the same.  The bun on the Popeyes was really chewy and disappointing as well, but it was better the first time I had one so maybe this was just an off day for them.  But the biggest problem, is that in order to get the "spicy" they rely on the heat in the creamy mayo or whatever, which is a major problem.  If they just used the same chicken fry batter as their normal spicy bone-in chicken, it would be about 100x better.

Anyway, no need for me to try it again, I'll stick with Popeyes normal spicy fried chicken and leave the sammiches for the dirty unwashed huddled masses.

Terrible troll job is terrible. We've been Futureman'd.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 8:48 AM, Landomatic said:

Looks like a straight ripoff of chic-fil-a...

And apparently served in the same foil steam pouch...

106273586-1575296901509ekuthouwkaa0ifs.j

Speaking of...the last time I went to chick-fil-a, the steam pouch had made the whole damn sandwich really soggy.  I'd never had that happen before.  Almost seemed like it had been sitting around steaming for a really long time.  Like maybe a long time under a heat lamp.  I guess in an effort to speed up service.  It was still hot/warm, but just really really overly wet.  It was gross.

The key to not having that happen? Ask for pickles on the side. They have to make you a new sandwich because all the premade ones are standard. 

On December 20, 2019 at 12:54 AM, Junior Miller said:

The key to not having that happen? Ask for pickles on the side. They have to make you a new sandwich because all the premade ones are standard. 

Several months ago I went through the Chik-fil-A drive-thru and received a bagged sandwich with no pickles. I parked and walked into the store to have them correct their mistake. They didn't add pickles to my sandwich. They just took my sandwich and gave me a new one. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 11/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, conVINCEd said:

Stomach wasn’t feeling great that day and I had a couple hours of driving time ahead of me.  Didn’t want to agitate it and have to drop a deuce in a gas station shitter.

You need to just pull into a Holiday In Express and use the lobby shitter.   Amateurs 

speaking of amateurs, what the hell is it with all the complaining of the sandwich being dry?   Do you cretins not utilize at least 2-3 packets of Louisiana Hot Sauce on each piece/sandwich from Popeye’s?  

On 12/18/2019 at 10:59 AM, utee94 said:

Um, they do. At least the two that I have had so far did. You can tell because they marinate the filets in their spicy buttermilk so the outside of the chicken (under the crust) has a layer of red. Sounds to me like you got a lazy dipshit cook that ran out of the spicy and subbed a regular thinking you’d be none the wiser. 

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Um, they do. At least the two that I have had so far did. You can tell because they marinate the filets in their spicy buttermilk so the outside of the chicken (under the crust) has a layer of red. Sounds to me like you got a lazy dipshit cook that ran out of the spicy and subbed a regular thinking you’d be none the wiser. 

That’s interesting because it’s counter to literally everything else I’ve ever read, here and elsewhere, that the only difference between this and the regular chicken sandwich is spicy mayo.

12 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That’s interesting because it’s counter to literally everything else I’ve ever read, here and elsewhere, that the only difference between this and the regular chicken sandwich is spicy mayo.

Well I’m not going to argue with you regarding your experience, but every copy cat recipe for the spicy version out there has the Cajun buttermilk marinade as the difference along with the sauce.I also saw the filets in separate trays (like they do with the spicy vs reg tenders and OG chicken) depending on which one you ordered at my local Popeyes, with a noticeable more red hue in one of them. Obviously YMMV

All this talk is making me hungry. 

It’s the mayonnaise not the chicken. There are a zillion articles on the intergoogles that explain this.

Now I will say having had it twice my second one was spicier. The Mayo was also thicker on that one Not to mention since they mix the batter spice into the mayo in the store I am sure that there would NEVER be sandwich to sandwich variations given the world renowned attention to detail of Popeyes employees.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Deej said:

No, the regular has regular mayo. The spicy has spicy mayo. Popeye's employee gonna Popeye's employee. 

That's what the employee said. That ordering a spicy without mayo is the same as ordering a regular without mayo. There's no fancy hot sauce buttermilk batter or whatever that guy was saying